Do We Have Any Info On The Invincible World Tour?

Dan

Proud Member
Hi guys,
I was just wondering today, do we have absolutely any shred of information on the unfortunately canceled Invincible World Tour? Other than that it was supposed to run from '01-'02 and that it was canceled due to 9/11 and the Sony mess?

Did Michael or any member of his team even discuss anything remotely creative before it was shot down?

Just wondering,

Thanks,

~Dan~

I don't think Michael had any intentions of doing a tour for Invincible so I don't think you can say that it was cancelled. There were never really any plans to tour during the Invincible era.

He might have planned to play a few shows here and there, but I don't think a full tour was planned. What I find odd is that on the times he did perform during that time, he never performed any songs from Invincible. With the exception of You Rock My World at the 30th Anniversary Shows

At United We Stand 2001 he performed Man In The Mirror
At the Apollo Theater 2002 he performed Black Or White, Heal The World and Dangerous
And then at American Bandstand 2002 he performed Dangerous.

He might have planned to play a few shows here and there, but I don't think a full tour was planned. What I find odd is that on the times he did perform during that time, he never performed any songs from Invincible. With the exception of You Rock My World at the 30th Anniversary Shows

At the Apollo Theater 2002 he performed Black Or White, Heal The World and Dangerous

I think the fact that Michael choose to perform no songs from Invincible during his 2002 performances tells me that Michael wasn't really happy with the Invincible album. Even for This Is It, there is no song from Invincible rehearsed except a small portion of Speechless. It feels like Michael only released Invincible to fulfill his contractual obligations. His heart wasn't in it, I feel.

I think the fact that Michael choose to perform no songs from Invincible during his 2002 performances tells me that Michael wasn't really happy with the Invincible album. Even for This Is It, there is no song from Invincible rehearsed except a small portion of Speechless. It feels like Michael only released Invincible to fulfill his contractual obligations. His heart wasn't in it, I feel.
I think contractual obligations may have been part of it, but Mj spent years working on Invincible. There's no doubt that he really did give it his all IMO.

I think contractual obligations may have been part of it, but Mj spent years working on Invincible. There's no doubt that he really did give it his all IMO.

He obviously gave it his all but I don't think he cared if the album was a success or not, from a commercial point of view. Whereas in the past, he would have been obsessed with doing well on charts.

There was no chance a tour would have happened the way Sony and Michael were at it.. they could not even successfully promote the album with videos, let alone a tour. They would have never agreed on the details of the tour, the finances to go into it etc.

The invincible tour was Michael going to NYC and London calling Tommy motolla the devil.

I don't think Michael had any intentions of doing a tour for Invincible so I don't think you can say that it was cancelled. There were never really any plans to tour during the Invincible era.

So why did he tell Michael Prince right after the 30th Anniversary Concerts that they should get ready because they were going to tour? Then the next they 9/11 happened and all plans were cancelled

He obviously gave it his all but I don't think he cared if the album was a success or not, from a commercial point of view. Whereas in the past, he would have been obsessed with doing well on charts.

What are you talking about. Of course he did. Just listen to all the interviews he did in 2001 were he talked about the Invincible album. Do you REALLY think Michael Jackson would not care about the success of one of his albums after he took years to work on it?!

Not sure if this applies to HISTORY tour,but I know some artists,record a live vocal,then later on performance,lip sync the playback.
There's also singing live UNDER the recorded track,that the sound engineer on the mixing desk,just fades out the recorded song,so the final part is just the artist singing live.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I was just wondering today, do we have absolutely any shred of information on the unfortunately canceled Invincible World Tour? Other than that it was supposed to run from '01-'02 and that it was canceled due to 9/11 and the Sony mess?

Did Michael or any member of his team even discuss anything remotely creative before it was shot down?

Just wondering,

Thanks,

~Dan~

No dates, no set lists, not even preliminary discussions, nothing at all concerning a possible upcoming Invincible World Tour in 2001-2002.

Just listen to all the interviews he did in 2001 were he talked about the Invincible album. Do you REALLY think Michael Jackson would not care about the success of one of his albums after he took years to work on it?!

He felt somewhat compelled to say some positive things about his brand new album in these interviews in 2001 because technically the marketing process of that album was at the time still in progress.

But the fact of the matter is that he did not really care about its commercial/chart success when that album was close to be completed but also when it came out.

Other things were beginning to take over his mind at that time such as, plastic reconstructive surgeries of his face, health issues, money issues, legal issues regarding his career not limited to Sony only, & the list goes on.

Caring about the commercial/chart success of that album was very low on his list during that period.

Not sure if this applies to HISTORY tour,but I know some artists,record a live vocal,then later on performance,lip sync the playback.

Do you mean pre-recorded vocals that are lip-synced by the artist during the concerts?.

MJ never did that during the HIStory Tour.

One reason could be that Michael didn't want to create a lot of new choreography because he only performed few times. He didn't plan to tour.

What are you talking about. Of course he did. Just listen to all the interviews he did in 2001 were he talked about the Invincible album. Do you REALLY think Michael Jackson would not care about the success of one of his albums after he took years to work on it?!

Because Michael would come out and say I don't care if this album doesn't do well. Yeah that would make a lot of sense. The fact is that Michael only put out Invincible to fulfil his contractual obligation with Sony. He had other priorities at that time, such as his health and his kids. He had no intention of touring to promote the Invincible album and nor was he that bothered about the commercial success of the album. If he was, he would have performed Invincible songs at his 2002 performances at American Bandstand and Apollo Theatre.

One reason could be that Michael didn't want to create a lot of new choreography because he only performed few times. He didn't plan to tour.

He could have performed You Rock My World again and he could have performed one of the ballads, that didn require any choreography.

Many things could have played a role in why Michael did not tour or perform invincible material.. what is pretty clear is that was not the best of times for Michael both business wise and personal.. he wasnt invested in the same way as previous projects.

Hi All,

I don't know anything about the details, but as a matter of fact there were plans for a tour in the "Invincible era". MJ went as far as establishing a company for this purpose on the Christmas day of 2001 under the name of "Invincible Tours Inc". He did the same in the "HiStory era" to fund the tours and do payments.

See below some proofs for this.

oYXpohs

wiEkJBJ

Because Michael would come out and say I don't care if this album doesn't do well. Yeah that would make a lot of sense. The fact is that Michael only put out Invincible to fulfil his contractual obligation with Sony. He had other priorities at that time, such as his health and his kids. He had no intention of touring to promote the Invincible album and nor was he that bothered about the commercial success of the album. If he was, he would have performed Invincible songs at his 2002 performances at American Bandstand and Apollo Theatre.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Michael worked 4 years (from 1998 to 2001) on that album and he only wanted to put it out to fulfil his contract with Sony? Really??
You seem to forget that Michael only started "protesting" against Sony AFTER Invincible was released and they refuses to promote it.

HE WAS NOT BOTHERED ABOUT THE COMMERCIAL SUCCESS OF THE ALBUM?! I guess there was no reason for him to say that "Sony kills music" after all.

I hate to say it again and again but listen to the Michael Prince special of TheMJCast. He DID plan to tour and that was even before the album was released.

What did Michael say when he was asked, if he could only perform one song for the rest of his life? Heel The World, Speechless and The Lost Children.

Michael wanted out of.his contract in responce to invincible and how Sony handled it.. not before the fact!

^ I remember that audio, the thing is. He didn't need to do a full world tour. He could have done select shows or toured sections of Europe, south America or wherever.. The middle east wasn't the only place he toured. Or even a single Invincible concert! Instead of standing outside and signing autographs at a record store like a second rate artist, he could have used that time for 1 concert. maybe 1 HBO special, re visit the 1995 HBO special idea and introduce Invincible songs.

Anything...

To me I see it that once Michael really felt that Sony didn't have his back he gave up.. Gave up and focused too much on getting out of contract with Sony than working with Sony to make things work. They both had valid issues but Mike just dropped out of it all and acted out! And no, me stating he acted out is not disrespectful, he did exactly that. not an opinion!

^ I remember that audio, the thing is. He didn't need to do a full world tour. He could have done select shows or toured sections of Europe, south America or wherever.. The middle east wasn't the only place he toured. Or even a single Invincible concert! Instead of standing outside and signing autographs at a record store like a second rate artist, he could have used that time for 1 concert. maybe 1 HBO special, re visit the 1995 HBO special idea and introduce Invincible songs.

Anything...

To me I see it that once Michael really felt that Sony didn't have his back he gave up.. Gave up and focused too much on getting out of contract with Sony than working with Sony to make things work. They both had valid issues but Mike just dropped out of it all and acted out! And no, me stating he acted out is not disrespectful, he did exactly that. not an opinion!

I feel the same but that would be something for the "Missed Opportunities" thread.

Many things could have played a role in why Michael did not tour or perform invincible material.. what is pretty clear is that was not the best of times for Michael both business wise and personal.. he wasnt invested in the same way as previous projects.

Sony were very keen for him to tour, they spent a lot of money on the production and (believe it or not) promotion of the album and wanted to make some of that back. When it comes down to it MJ just wasn't interested in touring and his fallout with Sony probably was one of the reasons.

I feel like the Sony fallout was partly because they probably wanted him to do a tour, similar to the Bad Tour (3 years, a lot of USA dates and it would be great for sales)

I do however doubt Sony knew MJs terrible condition and the fact that he struggled so badly when on tour.

I also hate the idea some fans seem to have that MJ was simply being a bitch once Invincible released and some seem to follow the media that he was a fruit cake for protesting them. The head of MJNI fan club turned on MJ during the time and was on Sony’s side. A lot ot MJ fan clubs protested Sony long before Invincible came out, it was the last straw as opposed to being the first issue.

He wore a bulletproof vest saying Sony sucks while on the same day apparently appointing Sony lawyers as the executors of his will. The whole thing stinks.

dam2040;4233761 said:
I feel like the Sony fallout was partly because they probably wanted him to do a tour, similar to the Bad Tour (3 years, a lot of USA dates and it would be great for sales)

I do however doubt Sony knew MJs terrible condition and the fact that he struggled so badly when on tour.

I also hate the idea some fans seem to have that MJ was simply being a bitch once Invincible released and some seem to follow the media that he was a fruit cake for protesting them. The head of MJNI fan club turned on MJ during the time and was on Sony’s side. A lot ot MJ fan clubs protested Sony long before Invincible came out, it was the last straw as opposed to being the first issue.

He wore a bulletproof vest saying Sony sucks while on the same day apparently appointing Sony lawyers as the executors of his will. The whole thing stinks.

Yeah, this is a bad take. MJ was out of order with the Tommy Motolla thing and his London stuff made him look loopy and that was his own fault. As I've already said there's no proof where MJ was on the day the will was signed either way so we'll never know.

SmoothGangsta;4233764 said:
Yeah, this is a bad take. MJ was out of order with the Tommy Motolla thing and his London stuff made him look loopy and that was his own fault. As I've already said there's no proof where MJ was on the day the will was signed either way so we'll never know.

I disagree. Here’s a great piece which includes information (written mainly about how catalogues and assets have been sold over his dead body)

https://themichaeljacksonacademiaproject.wordpress.com/category/the-michael-jackson-estate/

KOPV;4233747 said:
He didn't need to do a full world tour. He could have done select shows or toured sections of Europe, south America or wherever.. The middle east wasn't the only place he toured. Or even a single Invincible concert!

If he wanted to tour at that time, he would have done a full world tour, rather than selective shows or geographic sections.

Given the usual, huge expenses of his concerts (production, etc), only a full world tour (with far more ticket sales) would have generated profit both for him & the record company.

dam2040;4233761 said:

Sony knew about MJ’s terrible condition & the fact that he struggled so badly when on tour.

One way that Sony learned that was through Cory Rooney (one of Sony’s top executives at the time) to whom MJ during that period confessed the detrimental effects of a possible tour on his health.

dam2040;4233761 said:
I also hate the idea some fans seem to have that MJ was simply being a bitch once Invincible released and some seem to follow the media that he was a fruit cake for protesting them.

But, he acted in that way when ‘Invincible’ was released.

The cursing words that he uttered against Sony at the time of the album's release (especially, against its marketing team in various behind the scenes occasions) would shock many of you.

The cursing words that he uttered against Sony at the time of the album's release (especially, against its marketing team in various behind the scenes occasions) would shock many of you.

How do you know?

dam2040;4233775 said:
How do you know?

People from both parties (like, MJ’s close associates, or company’s representatives) who were present on those occasions have already revealed that.

This has been also confirmed by certain authors who rehashed that information in their recent books (such as, ‘Making Michael’ by Mike Smallcombe).

Undoubtedly, MJ showed a very angry side of himself on those occasions around the time of the album’s release.

Nothing came of the Branca thing, MJ was merely listening to rumours and decided to have him investigated.
Was he not fired? Did he not file the injunction that caused Michael to take the Neverland loan out?

Back