Do you consider Michael’s life story a tragedy or a triumph?

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I’ve seen many people, fans alike, disagree on this topic. I did not make this thread with malicious intents but there is no secret that MJ reached heights that only a select few will ever reach. The other side of the coin is that he also faced tremendous hardships that only a select few has faced as well.

So what is your opinion on this?

I’ve seen many people, fans alike, disagree on this topic. I did not make this thread with malicious intents but there is no secret that MJ reached heights that only a select few will ever reach. The other side of the coin is that he also faced tremendous hardships that only a select few has faced as well.

So what is your opinion on this?
As a person ,it is a tragedy in my opinion.
As an artist tho,it's a wild triumph i think

A tragic Triumph !!!
Tragic mostly because he was to good for the world, to good for the people he was surrounded by…

A triumph! Mike came from nothing and became the greatest performer in history and arguably the most recognisable person in history.

Dave Chappelle has a great quote talking about Richard Pryor's effect on comedy, “The mark of greatness is when everything before you is obsolete, and everything after you bears your mark." That's Michael Jackson in terms of music and performance

Sure as a person, Michael's life was a tragedy, how he was treated by the world, his health problems and his loneliness but for what he gave the world, it's the price of fame tragically. One doesn't come without the other

But he also had and has millions of people that adore him. I can count the people that adore me on one hand and I miss 3 fingers

Just kidding

A triumph! Mike came from nothing and became the greatest performer in history and arguably the most recognisable person in history.

Dave Chappelle has a great quote talking about Richard Pryor's effect on comedy, “The mark of greatness is when everything before you is obsolete, and everything after you bears your mark." That's Michael Jackson in terms of music and performance

Sure as a person, Michael's life was a tragedy, how he was treated by the world, his health problems and his loneliness but for what he gave the world, it's the price of fame tragically. One doesn't come without the other
Yep, his story, where he came from, what he achieved and his immense talent, dedication and success will always be a triumph that nobody can take away from him. His life may have had tragic elements that nobody can deny, but his story will always be a triumph in my eyes.

Excellent question!

I’d say he lives in both categories, though triumph is the one I feel most will argue for. A lower-middle-class black child from Indiana ascends to the top of the ladder in every feasible way, and becomes one of the most worshipped and acclaimed artists to ever walk the planet, all in an era before social media and streaming allowed for easy access to music or gossip. That alone is astonishing.

However, the amount of tragedy that befell him prevents me from being able to concretely sidestep it. Other than the standard struggles of growing up as a black man in the late 20th century, he was raised in an abusive and unstable household, robbed of a normal childhood, mercilessly taunted over his appearance, had his every move and decision viewed under a microscope to a far greater extent than any of his contemporaries, had very few genuine friends, was the punchline of countless jokes and articles, and spent the last 3-4 years of his life as a vagabond. Hell, he died with a decent portion of the world convinced he was a pedophile. It’s hard to say his life was a true triumph when it was so drowned in tragedy.

I think it was a story of triumph up until the point that he died young. He overcame a lot to reach the heights of popularity that only handful can reach. He spent most of his life doing what he loved, and got enormous success. He was able to live life on his own terms in many ways. He did pay a huge price for his fame, but unfortunately that is the other side of success. I think he also had many people in his life who cared for him. He suffered huge setback in mid-40s, but he would have made a come back. He might have been able to clear his image, who knows.
I think sometimes we make his life more tragic than it actually was because we don't see what was happening in his life beyond the media drama.
Though the fact that he died at 50, and the way he died in an avoidable way makes it tragic. If he had survived that fateful night and had a chance to make a comeback or lived rest of his years in peace away from all the nonsense, it would have been a total triumph.

I think that it is a tragedy because we have the most amazing artist of all time who faced so many challenges during his lifetime and died young and the real tragedy is people trying to ruin his legacy for money, we are the ones preserving his legacy forever and that is a triumph.

Back