Do you like Michael's chosen album titles?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I really dig the off the wall title. It has a ring to it and promises something special and cool

Thriller likewise. It sounds mysterious and catchy.

Bad hmm not so much. I kind of like Another part of me better but then people would have had different expectations for the album, a more personal album.

Dangerous, not too old of this title either. I think Black or White sounds more intriguing, more socially relevant and interesting. Especially so since his skin color completely changed around this time.

HIStory. It's a fun word play but also a bit self centered imo. My chosen title would have been tabloid junkie which would have been in your face with all the media trouble he had

Invincible, this is just a shit title imo. Michael just wasn't thinking straight imo. What other title I'd suggest? Maybe Break of Dawn to suggest a new era, leave all the past shit behind?

I agree with the 'Bad' as a title not being the best choice, though I did like appearance change that accompanied it. He wanted to get a more tough image.

I actually like all the other ones. Dangerous just sounds cool, HIStory fits due to it being more personal and including songs that tell his side of the story of his controversies. Invincible is a badass title tbh as the biggest artist ever dispite all the shit he already went through, though I feel like the album could have been better then it was.

I've been thinking about this sometimes. I think it all fits except HIStory (for album title consistency) but its ok coz of the theme and its his more personal album.... But yeah an even badder title for "Bad" might suffice tho its my personal fave hehe. BOTDF sounds cool as well.

Last edited:
I hate the Invincible title and not the biggest fan of History either.

Bad is quite a basic word but the the font is so iconic along with that whole era so I think it's one of his best.

Off The Wall is probably the coolest title but the album itself is the least flashy, quite a humble Mike before the madness of Thriller and beyond.

I like that some of the album titles were short & catchy. however, i felt that they became unnecessarily grandiose, predictable and shallow with time. some of them had a negative connotation to them, which seemed to mirror the trajectory of his expression, career, and life..

I think that the original title of the ‘thriller’ album ‘starlight’ sounds magical and interesting as a visual concept. the final choice was perfect though.

I also like ‘music and me’ and ‘going places (if we’re including jacksons albums)’.

I think all the album titles chosen for the albums were perfect. Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, Invincible. It couldn't have been named any better especially with all the other alternate titles. I like how they followed the tradition up with Xscape later on, that was a good title.

i honestly think they all fit pretty well! but some of the songs dont fit, like mitm in bad, or tgim for thriller. they are all cool though and i respect his decisions!

Off the Wall - Meh, forgettable. It's actually my favorite MJ record, but the title never did much for me.
Thriller - Perfect.
Bad - Euh... It's definitely a choice. I don't think it's ever good to call your own stuff 'bad'. I understand the vibe and concept he was going for, but the bad era was always very awkward to me. He was never a 'bad boy'. Michael was always cool, but in a refined, elegant way. No amount of crotch-grabbing or leather jackets would make him look nonconforming. He didn't grow up on the streets, he doesn't know what being in a gang or ghetto is like and it shows. Whenever I see footage of him out of stage, he looks like a well-behaved, docile, well-meaning little lamb. No father would ever refuse for Bad Jackson to date his daughter, and that's saying something.
Dangerous - Beautiful word, to the point. Bad done right.
HIStory - Iconic. Not an album I revisit a lot, but I think the title is great.
Invincible - I swear that for the longest time, before I decided to explore his discography, I used to think his last album was called Invisible. I was aware that it kind of flopped according Michael Jackson's standards because of what happened with Sony. It's great, although it didn't age well.

The titles' quality reflect Michael's talent as a writer and lyricist. I don't think he was as gifted with words as he was with melodies and performing, or he simply did not care about lyrics. This reminds of a Mark Twain quote, "“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter—it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.”

Please don't murder me, just my opinion.

He didn't grow up on the streets, he doesn't know what being in a gang or ghetto is like and it shows. Whenever I see footage of him out of stage, he looks like a well-behaved, docile, well-meaning little lamb. No father would ever refuse for Bad Jackson to date his daughter, and that's saying something.
i agree, but he lived in a bad neighborhood when he was little, although he obviously didnt reflect any of that behavior

Off the Wall - Meh, forgettable. It's actually my favorite MJ record, but the title never did much for me.
Thriller - Perfect.
Bad - Euh... It's definitely a choice. I don't think it's ever good to call your own stuff 'bad'. I understand the vibe and concept he was going for, but the bad era was always very awkward to me. He was never a 'bad boy'. Michael was always cool, but in a refined, elegant way. No amount of crotch-grabbing or leather jackets would make him look nonconforming. He didn't grow up on the streets, he doesn't know what being in a gang or ghetto is like and it shows. Whenever I see footage of him out of stage, he looks like a well-behaved, docile, well-meaning little lamb. No father would ever refuse for Bad Jackson to date his daughter, and that's saying something.
Dangerous - Beautiful word, to the point. Bad done right.
HIStory - Iconic. Not an album I revisit a lot, but I think the title is great.
Invincible - I swear that for the longest time, before I decided to explore his discography, I used to think his last album was called Invisible. I was aware that it kind of flopped according Michael Jackson's standards because of what happened with Sony. It's great, although it didn't age well.

The titles' quality reflect Michael's talent as a writer and lyricist. I don't think he was as gifted with words as he was with melodies and performing, or he simply did not care about lyrics. This reminds of a Mark Twain quote, "“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter—it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.”

Please don't murder me, just my opinion.
i think a lot of his songs have beautiful word choices and meanings, like heal the world and watw. although watw was cowritten, i think he wrote most of it

Got to Be There - not too bad. I wasn't alive at the time so I can't say what it felt like compared to other albums
Ben - probably the strangest one if all
Music & Me - really like this one
Forever, Michael - this one is average
Off the Wall - reasonable. I guess disco-y
Thriller - pretty good. Maybe could have been better
Bad - great. Fits the feeling of the time
Dangerous - as above. Plus he was getting on a bit of a theme with the names
HIStory. Agree, its self centered
Invincible - Agreed, garbage.

i agree, but he lived in a bad neighborhood when he was little, although he obviously didnt reflect any of that behavior
I think he mentioned that his father overworked them so much that he and his brother didn't have the opportunity to mingle with the wrong people in their neighborhood. However, I believe his exceptional character can be attributed to his mother; she seems like a sweet and kind mother who raised him well.

That being said, I believe Michael is naturally kind and ambitious. If he hadn't been thrown into music and fame at a young age, I think he would have been a straight-A student who could have been accepted into an Ivy League school and become a reputable lawyer or doctor.

I think he mentioned that his father overworked them so much that he and his brother didn't have the opportunity to mingle with the wrong people in their neighborhood. However, I believe his exceptional character can be attributed to his mother; she seems like a sweet and kind mother who raised him well.

That being said, I believe Michael is naturally kind and ambitious. If he hadn't been thrown into music and fame at a young age, I think he would have been a straight-A student who could have been accepted into an Ivy League school and become a reputable lawyer or doctor.
yeah i completely agree with what you are saying. im just saying that he didnt grow up in the perfect neighborhood, even if he didnt interact with the people who lived there.

Keep in mind that the album title is named after the song that musically sets the tone for that album.

So, for example, 'Black Or White' (which is a rock song) would have been unsuitable as the album title of the 'Dangerous' album considering that this album has only 2 rock songs.

Also, Michael Jackson used to be playful in his album titles.

For example, 'Dangerous' does not refer to him, but to a girl, and the same goes for 'Invincible' which does not refer to him, but again to a girl.
I like that some of the album titles were short & catchy. however, i felt that they became unnecessarily grandiose, predictable and shallow with time. some of them had a negative connotation to them, which seemed to mirror the trajectory of his expression, career, and life..

I think that the original title of the ‘thriller’ album ‘starlight’ sounds magical and interesting as a visual concept. the final choice was perfect though.

I also like ‘music and me’ and ‘going places (if we’re including jacksons albums)’.
Especially with regard to the child sexual abuse accusations against him, when many people began to say/write that he is bad, he is dangerous, and so on.

They're all perfect and they flow together perfectly like a film saga. The one word flow is genius.

Invincible is still a better title to me than Unbreakable fyi. It has the same meaning when you get down to it, but it just feels more incandescent.

I would love to know whatever the title of the follow up was gonna be though. Maybe, they'd go back to a 3 word title like with Off The Wall. I could maybe accept that.

The only bad title in the whole profession is one he did not come up with: Michael.

Back