Do You Like The Xscape Album?

Do You Like The Xscape Album?

• Total voters
OK, so I just started listening to Xscape for the first time and I am obsessed with Loving You (original version). I heard it exactly once yesterday and still it was stuck in my head the rest of the day. Today I have listened to that song over and over and I can't get enough of it. I have only mildly checked out the rest of the album so far.
It's a great song, nobody even knew about it before the album came out. Imagine what else the Estate is hiding in the vault...

Anyway, I am curious -- which songs do you prefer in their original form vs. the remixes? And vice versa? Right now, I prefer every original version to the remixed version, but like I said, I've barely listened to them. That is just my very immediate reaction. So I'm curious what other people think!
Preferred originals: Slave To The Rhythm, A Place With No Name, Xscape, Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Preferred remixes: Blue Gangsta, Love Never Felt So Good (solo), Loving You, Chicago

So what OTW tracks haven’t you listened to? Im perplexed 😄
Nearly all of them. OTW is too disco / R&B for me.

I like Get on the Floor (did I get the title right? See, I don't even know the song titles) especially for the little laugh towards the end.

There's one more. Can't remember it. Oh god, better go and look it up.

There's stuff on Thriller I haven't listened to or have only listened to once. PYT, for example, which I tried once. Never again, not in my lifetime.

Maybe I should take this to the Heresy thread, lol.

Nearly all of them. OTW is too disco / R&B for me.

I like Get on the Floor (did I get the title right? See, I don't even know the song titles) especially for the little laugh towards the end.

There's one more. Can't remember it. Oh god, better go and look it up.

There's stuff on Thriller I haven't listened to or have only listened to once. PYT, for example, which I tried once. Never again, not in my lifetime.

Maybe I should take this to the Heresy thread, lol.
Yeah take it to the heresy thread. I’m completely baffled.

Anyway try “I can’t help it”.

I’m completely baffled.
But why? Loads of people don't rate OTW or don't like the musical feel of it. I'm baffled by your bafflement, lol. Loads of people think OTW is overrated or feel it hasn't dated well. Some people think it's his magnum opus but others really don't rate it. I'm talking MJ fans not general public.

It's a "split" album for me. With some songs, I prefer the remixes. With others, I prefer the originals. I wouldn't say it's good or bad, I could take it or leave it. I have some very fond memories of the day I went to buy it in HMV, though.

But why? Loads of people don't rate OTW or don't like the musical feel of it. I'm baffled by your bafflement, lol. Loads of people think OTW is overrated or feel it hasn't dated well. Some people think it's his magnum opus but others really don't rate it. I'm talking MJ fans not general public.
To be honest a lot of MJ fans only like the flashy stuff. I remember myself when I was 16 I didn’t think much of OTW but it kept growing, the musicality, the playing of the musicians it is so freaking awesome. Those bass licks, are earworms. A track like DSTYGE or WDAN is just pure genius, super hot percussion. Vocals… Jesus the vocals…
I can’t help it another unique track in MJ’s discography with it’s jazzy feel. It is simply brilliant. Michael sounded so lively vibrant and happy during all the tracks.
Dismissing it as a disco album is wrong.

PS I love disco though

To be honest a lot of MJ fans only like the flashy stuff. I remember myself when I was 16 I didn’t think much of OTW but it kept growing, the musicality, the playing of the musicians it is so freaking awesome. Those bass licks, are earworms. A track like DSTYGE or WDAN is just pure genius, super hot percussion. Vocals… Jesus the vocals…
I can’t help it another unique track in MJ’s discography with it’s jazzy feel. It is simply brilliant. Michael sounded so lively vibrant and happy during all the tracks.
At the end of the day the whole thing is just too 1970's disco and R&B for my liking. I'm surprised at how much I like Get on the Floor - although I don't play it much.

The musicianship is good but it all sounds quite thin to my ears. DSTYGE does nothing for me at all. I love Michael's freedom in that song. That wild yelp at the beginning. I love what it means for him but that's as far as it goes. The songs do work better live, for me, which is normal. Songs usually do sound faster or heavier or more interesting live than on record. So that's great but the record itself is still not my jam, not so far, anyway.

I like 'It's the falling in love' which I only listened to cos I like Carole Bayer Sager.

Dismissing it as a disco album is wrong.
I'm not dismissing it and it sounds like disco to me. It always has. That isn't going to change. It sounds like a record of its time. That doesn't make it a bad record it just means it has a sound I don't like. That's it.

I just checked the track listing and I realised that I have listened to every track at least once. But some were so unmemorable for me I'd forgotten that.

PS I love disco though
Exactly. I never did and I never will. I grew up with 70's disco and I never liked it. I was surrounded by people who were mad for it. Left me cold. It's amazing that Michael can even get me listening to Get on the Floor. That's the genius of the man.

It's a "split" album for me. With some songs, I prefer the remixes. With others, I prefer the originals. I wouldn't say it's good or bad, I could take it or leave it. I have some very fond memories of the day I went to buy it in HMV, though.
Good old HMV. Got Triumph Legacy edition on order from HMV at the moment. Got my Jacksons compilations from them just a few weeks ago. The 5 album J5 pack. God, I love HMV. Hope it never closes (I'm very old school, lol).

Good old HMV. Got Triumph Legacy edition on order from HMV at the moment. Got my Jacksons compilations from them just a few weeks ago. The 5 album J5 pack. God, I love HMV. Hope it never closes (I'm very old school, lol).

I'm thinking the exact same thing, I've been getting into CDs (and vinyls because I'm into 60s stuff as well) and I prefer going in-store. Back to MJ, I do need to get his albums on vinyl...

@zinniabooklover

Disco for me is so much fun and incredibly danceable. It makes me happy. But ok if I can’t convert you I will leave it alone peacefully 😎

I’d say my main genres are disco, funk, soul, jazz, folk and hard rock

I'm thinking the exact same thing, I've been getting into CDs (and vinyls because I'm into 60s stuff as well) and I prefer going in-store. Back to MJ, I do need to get his albums on vinyl...
I can't go back to vinyl, just can't be bothered. But I think it's great that people are mad for it. I love that.

I think HMV do a great job with their vinyl section. I sometimes browse just for nostalgia and they have a pretty comprehensive selection. And some good bargains, as well. And they display them really well, make a big thing of it. Which I love. Thriller on vinyl always seems to be prominently displayed which makes me happy.

It is similarly difficult for me to wrap my mind around! Lol but I also understand and it’s ok, because Mj was so versatile and has stuff for all people to enjoy!

My perspective on OTW is that the first time I listened to it it was waaaaay too disco for me. It felt dated and I just didn’t connected to it other than a couple songs, including Don’t Stop (which for me is a masterpiece). So I didn’t really listen to it again. But then one night I decided to put noise canceling head phones on, chill out in the dark and just listen to the album. And OMG it blew my mind. It totally opened my world up. I am now obsessed with OTW. I am not capable of naming favorites because I legitimately love all of the studio albums from OTW - HIStory equally. I consider every single one a “no skips” album. But OTW is just pure joyful ness + She’s Out of My Life which I’m also just obsessed with. Also, now that I know the album do well, it doesn’t sounded dated to me whatsoever. It sounds so fresh and exciting to me!

But I’m just sharing this to share. I can understand people not connected with all of his music and I think that’s ok :)

It's a great song, nobody even knew about it before the album came out. Imagine what else the Estate is hiding in the vault...
Oh wow! I didn’t know this. See that is so exciting to me. I can’t even imagine the amount of content that exists… not just songs but videos, performances, etc. ugh. So frustrating, but also exciting!

Preferred originals: Slave To The Rhythm, A Place With No Name, Xscape, Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Preferred remixes: Blue Gangsta, Love Never Felt So Good (solo), Loving You, Chicago

Thank you for this!

I’ve been collecting them all on vinyl and I love it! All I have so far is OTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and a couple J5 records. I need them all!!

As a rule, I only “collect” vinyl of artists I’m obsessed with. I have lots of great albums across the board, but I want MJs entire discography. I have over 30 of Bob Dylan’s. He and MJ are the only ones I need ALL of.

It is similarly difficult for me to wrap my mind around! Lol but I also understand and it’s ok, because Mj was so versatile and has stuff for all people to enjoy!
I always say I don't listen to OTW and don't know the songs. I just checked it out, I know it a lot better than I think. I've listened to those songs way more than I thought. I just don't like them so they fall out of my brain really quickly. Just been listening to I Can't Help It and realising how much I do know this song and also how much I don't like it. I don't even like the Stevie version although I think it's a bit better than Michael's version. It's a bit heavier and his phrasing is better, imo. But I still don't like it. And I love Stevie. I tried really hard with that song. We're never gonna be pals.

Also, of course, I was hearing the songs first time around, when the album was out. Didn't like it back then, not much has changed. Except I can now give the time of day to Get on the Floor and It's the falling in love. Those two I'm OK with. Which is astonishing and very pleasing.

But I’m just sharing this to share. I can understand people not connected with all of his music and I think that’s ok :)
Exactly so. I can't think of anyone I like where I like every single thing they've ever done. It's such a non-issue for me. Michael is so brilliant and the stuff I do like is so fulfilling and satisfying and complete and all-consuming and ... I'm struggling to find the right word. So annoying! Anyway, the Michael songs that I love give me everything so the ones I don't like 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
I can't think of anyone I like where I like every single thing they've ever done. It's such a non-issue for me. Michael is so brilliant and the stuff I do like is so fulfilling and satisfying and complete and all-consuming and ... I'm struggling to find the right word. So annoying! Anyway, the Michael songs that I love give me everything so the ones I don't like 🤷‍♀️
Totally understand this! Even Dylan I can honestly say I don't particularly enjoy most of his stuff from the 80s. It never once made me feel like less of a fan, or like I didn't appreciate him or something. For whatever reason though, with Michael, I am legit stunned that I seem to love absolutely everything I come across. Probably moreso because I have never had much interest in these genres. And it's not like every single song is an immediate hit for me. Plus there are still lots of the more modern tracks, from Invincible forward, that I haven't even heard yet. So there's a very good chance some of those may not be my thing. But so far even from those everything I have heard, I have pretty much loved. So idk... It's just something about Michael lol.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT MICHAEL?! (yes, I know that is an entirely different thread we have also blown up in the past 😊 )

Totally understand this! Even Dylan I can honestly say I don't particularly enjoy most of his stuff from the 80s.
What how can you not love “knocked out loaded”! 🤬
Just kidding it is awful.

Still though Brownsville girl is pretty cool.

What how can you not love “knocked out loaded”! 🤬
Just kidding it is awful.

Still though Brownsville girl is pretty cool.
oh, there are for sure exceptions! I love Jokerman. But yeah, I don't have a ton to say about most of the 80s stuff. Still, I love the man until my last dying breath.

with Michael, I am legit stunned that I seem to love absolutely everything I come across. Probably moreso because I have never had much interest in these genres. And it's not like every single song is an immediate hit for me.
This is where I am with watching Triumph / Destiny / Victory. I love them all but it's kinda weird cos I'm listening to a lot of stuff that normally wouldn't interest me. My musical taste isn't as rigidly narrow as I'm making it seem but, that said, I know my own mind and what I like. A lot of the songs the brothers are performing I don't necessarily like but I love them played live. As I said, that's totally normal, songs almost always sound better live, imo, but it still feels ... unexpected is the word I'm going for. Would have expected to *like* these shows, maybe even quite a lot. Did not expect to love them as passionately as I do and for the shows to blow away BWT 1987 - I can understand it but I'm still sorta surprised. It's awesome and I'm loving it but, no, didn't see *that* coming. Man, those brothers ...

WHAT IS IT ABOUT MICHAEL?! (yes, I know that is an entirely different thread we have also blown up in the past 😊 )
I have no idea. I wish I knew. :D

At the end of the day the whole thing is just too 1970's disco and R&B for my liking. I'm surprised at how much I like Get on the Floor - although I don't play it much.
I thought so too in the beginning, I am not into disco at all. But after listening to it a couple of times, I really like the album.

I love Xscape, I listen to most of the songs at least once a day, except Blue Gangsta, I don't get it. Otherwise it's a great album.

I like some of the remixes, LNFSG, Loving You and Xscape, they're great. But the others are rubbish in my mind, because they feel nothing like Michael.

They sound like remixes you would hear on his singles in the 90's, they sound uninspired and terribly rushed. They haven't aged well

I like some of the remixes, LNFSG, Loving You and Xscape, they're great. But the others are rubbish in my mind, because they feel nothing like Michael.
Oh wait! Xscape album is all remixes, that thought just escaped my mind (ha 🤣). No I don't like remixes. I love the originals or demos of the songs in the album.

Oh wait! Xscape album is all remixes, that thought just escaped my mind (ha 🤣). No I don't like remixes. I love the originals or demos of the songs in the album.
😂 the originals are great but I just wish they were released in better condition. But that's a minor complaint. I'm just glad to own the original versions of APWNN and Xscape finally, legally

They sound like remixes you would hear on his singles in the 90's, they sound uninspired and terribly rushed. They haven't aged well
I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard the remixes for A Place With No Name and Blue Gangster. Those make the remixes on BOTDF sound like master pieces in comparison. In fact, imo, Pitbull did a better job on the remix on Bad25 and that's saying A LOT. Lol

I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard the remixes for A Place With No Name and Blue Gangster. Those make the remixes on BOTDF sound like master pieces in comparison. In fact, imo, Pitbull did a better job on the remix on Bad25 and that's saying A LOT. Lol
L-L-L-L-Love it or hate it it’s Mr. Worldwide with the world’s greatest you gonna’ play this

Disco for me is so much fun and incredibly danceable. It makes me happy. But ok if I can’t convert you I will leave it alone peacefully 😎
So I've trawled through several lists of top 1970's disco songs to find anything - anything at all - that I liked. I've only found 6 songs that I really liked.

BUT one of those songs was 'Shame Shame Shame' by Shirley & Co which I had completely forgotten about.

Shame on me, more like, lol.

I am having the happiest of reunions. 🥰

OK, so I hated discos and really did not like the music. But here's a verse from 'Shame Shame Shame' by Shirley & Co. Just in case it's one you're not familiar with.

"Can't stop me now hear what I say
My feet want to move so get out my way
I'm gonna have my say
I'm going to every discotheque
I'm gonna dance dance dance ooh
'Till the break of day I say"

written by Jimmy Reed

If I could write a lyric like that I would die happy. 😊

Last edited:
I personally see OTW as a funk influenced pop album. I really don’t hear a lot of pure disco, maybe the title track.
Disco was everywhere for a couple of years, back then music was put in boxes and you weren’t supposed to like music coming from another box. So you could ‘t escape from it back then, I understand if you didn’t like it to begin with that it only gets worse from there. This is why disco has a bad reputation till now, music for the masses but have the masses ever been wrong?
But since you’re loving the Triumph tour so much it is conflicting. As that is a pure disco concert lol just like the album. 🤓 and so is “forever came today“ that is a 100% disco track!

Shame shame shame on you @zinniabooklover
Just kidding of course

PS what did you think of rock acts incorporating disco sounds like kiss and queen?

I personally see OTW as a funk influenced pop album. I really don’t hear a lot of pure disco, maybe the title track.
Lots of people would agree with you. I mean, I don't even really care. It's a good album but just so happens I don't like the sound of it.

Disco was everywhere for a couple of years, back then music was put in boxes and you weren’t supposed to like music coming from another box. So you could ‘t escape from it back then, I understand if you didn’t like it to begin with that it only gets worse from there. This is why disco has a bad reputation till now, music for the masses but have the masses ever been wrong?
I never really cared about all the boxes. I'm a simple soul. I listen to something, I like it or I don't. Black Sabbath / Andy Williams. Jimi Hendrix / Dean Martin. X Ray Spex / Glen Miller Band. It's all just music I love. And the divisions in the UK were never quite as bad as in the US, for example. We didn't have all the different radio stations. Everything was all jumbled together and hallelujah for that.

Disco did get a bad rap, especially from the rock side of things and that did suck. It's ridiculous. Look at Nile Rodgers now. Everyone worshipping him. It's all mad. You either like something or you don't. It begins and ends there.

But since you’re loving the Triumph tour so much it is conflicting. As that is a pure disco concert lol just like the album. 🤓 and so is “forever came today“ that is a 100% disco track!
No conflict. I don't love all the songs but I love the show. Everything sounds great, looks great, the energy, the showmanship, the chemistry, their spatial awareness, the dancing ... I could go on. I loved it from the first second I started to watch. Was just blown away. When I fall in love with a band or a song I fall really hard but I don't necessarily analyse it or even want to or even have the capacity. But mostly just don't have the interest.

PS what did you think of rock acts incorporating disco sounds like kiss and queen?
Depends on the band and how they do it. I don't like Kiss so I don't really care what they do, Not too interested in Queen. Good band but just not that interesting to me. Love Killer Queen, We Will Rock You. BR is good, I like the melodrama. Freddie was a great showman but just didn't really connect with me. I never liked Brian May's guitar. Freddie's voice was never that interesting to me. I didn't mind Roger Taylor. He was OK.

Rock bands have been incorporating other influences since forever. This is why punk, as much as I loved it to death, made me cackle. They were always complaining about many bands but one of the bands that they slagged off all the time was Black Sabbath. And yet I lost count of the punk records I heard where the Black Sabbath influence was obvious. That's why I don't care about boxes. I don't like Duran Duran but The Reflex is brilliant (hello, Nile Rodgers!), I don't like disco but today was reunited with 6 songs that I love. Couldn't be happier about that.

Btw, apologies if I sound tetchy. It's boiling hot over here in the UK and my brain melted about 5 hours ago. I do not cope well with the heat. It isn't even extreme and I'm just ... gah!

Last edited:
Back