Do you think Michael should have worked with more variety in producers?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
This often springs to mind when I listen to the J5 tracks produced by Bobby Taylor. Then I start wondering what he and the Michael of the Off The Wall period could have done together. Another person that always comes back is Stevie Wonder. Based on I Can’t Help It they both fit together like a glove. Then there is the stuff Michael did with Buz Kohan which imo is pure magic and a concerted effort between themselves could have resulted in a brilliant fairytale album.
Last but not least I think and I’m in the minority here that Paul McCartney and Michael were a perfect match. Their 3 songs together, 2 of them produced by The Beatles’ George Martin were fantastic. So Martin producing a duets album with Paul and Michael would have been great imo. Martin also was pretty impressed with Michael as he said in an interview that there was an aura around Michael in the studio.

His discography would have been richer and more diverse imo. Maybe all of this could have happened if thriller didn’t become such a behemoth of an album. For 3 years running it completely destroyed all competition which was and still is completely unseen in music business.

This often springs to mind when I listen to the J5 tracks produced by Bobby Taylor. Then I start wondering what he and the Michael of the Off The Wall period could have done together. Another person that always comes back is Stevie Wonder. Based on I Can’t Help It they both fit together like a glove. Then there is the stuff Michael did with Buz Kohan which imo is pure magic and a concerted effort between themselves could have resulted in a brilliant fairytale album.
Last but not least I think and I’m in the minority here that Paul McCartney and Michael were a perfect match. Their 3 songs together, 2 of them produced by The Beatles’ George Martin were fantastic. So Martin producing a duets album with Paul and Michael would have been great imo. Martin also was pretty impressed with Michael as he said in an interview that there was an aura around Michael in the studio.

His discography would have been richer and more diverse imo. Maybe all of this could have happened if thriller didn’t become such a behemoth of an album. For 3 years running it completely destroyed all competition which was and still is completely unseen in music business.
If Michael Jackson collaborated with Paul McCartney on more duet songs, then Michael Jackson's discography would have been even shallower (mainly, in terms of lyrics).

I think later in his career he did have a lot of producers. Maybe too many.

Michael had an amazing rock voice. I wish he would've recorded more in that direction.

He was hopping from producer to producer after Bad, (Teddy Riley, Bill Bottrell, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, R. Kelly, Babyface, Dr. Freeze, Rodney Jerkins, etc) there was enough variety

Too much actually, he should have mostly just produced himself

Last edited:
Personally I would change absolutely nothing , bar the Invincible era Michael's discography was flawless. Everything worked out the way it was supposed to.

Not a fan of further collaborations with McCartney either , Say Say Say was great, the girl is man was better as a Michael solo and the man was poor.

My only complaint about Michael's career is that I wished he had sang live (no lip syncing) more often especially in the 90's and also do a stripped back show to really showcase his vocals.

I do wonder what it would've been like if MJ had let Prince write and produce a song for him.

Me personally, I wanted MJ and Sergio Mendes together.

Aside from that, of course Kanye in his prime, Timbaland, and Pharrell would've all helped him with the pop era stuff.

I think the outcomes of all albums bar Invincible are about right. I am not sure what he was going for with Invincible but for the most part it missed. I did hear that Dr Dre was asked to work with Michael for Invincible or a later album. Now that would have been something else!

bar the Invincible era Michael's discography was flawless.
Invincible Era was fine, Invincible album simply made too many choices that didn't appeal to everyone. Even if one portion appealed to some people, it was just a few, not everyone. He did some good work with Rodney, but needed to curb some, some good work with Teddy, but definitely could've curbed some, not enough good work with Freeze, and he didn't need to do anything with R.Kelly. And he left too many of his best songs in the vault.

Personally I would change absolutely nothing , bar the Invincible era Michael's discography was flawless. Everything worked out the way it was supposed to.

Not a fan of further collaborations with McCartney either , Say Say Say was great, the girl is man was better as a Michael solo and the man was poor.

My only complaint about Michael's career is that I wished he had sang live (no lip syncing) more often especially in the 90's and also do a stripped back show to really showcase his vocals.
This thread is not about lip syncing, so why even bring it up

Invincible Era was fine, Invincible album simply made too many choices that didn't appeal to everyone. Even if one portion appealed to some people, it was just a few, not everyone. He did some good work with Rodney, but needed to curb some, some good work with Teddy, but definitely could've curbed some, not enough good work with Freeze, and he didn't need to do anything with R.Kelly. And he left too many of his best songs in the vault.
Trim the fat on Invincible and it looks much stronger , I agree that a couple of good songs were left off the album.

This thread is not about lip syncing, so why even bring it up
I'm putting emphasis on the fact that I consider Michael's musical career as being incredible and I would change nothing other than wished he performed live more often.

Why are you calling me out on it? All you've done is brought more attention to it now. It's free speech after all.

Trim the fat on Invincible and it looks much stronger , I agree that a couple of good songs were left off the album.

I'm putting emphasis on the fact that I consider Michael's musical career as being incredible and I would change nothing other than wished he performed live more often.

Why are you calling me out on it? All you've done is brought more attention to it now. It's free speech after all.
Because it's not relevant to the thread

Back