Duet with female singers

Hiker

MJJC Staff
Staff member
Donations
$20.00
Country
Switzerland
Any theories / insights into why Michael did not sing duets with female singers, except IJCSLY? and Scream with Janet which is different. He did (in my view unnecessary) many more duets with other male singers, and song like 'Hold my Hand' sounds so odd as a male duet.

You forgot a couple. He did a duet with Diana Ross “ ease on down the road” and Patti Austin “ it’s the falling in love”. He also had a duet with Minnie Riperton “ i’m in love again” though I think this was created after Minnie died.
you can also hear Michael on background vocals on “ night time lover” with Latoya, “eaten alive” with Diana Ross and “ centipede” with Rebbie Jackson.
He also wanted to do duets with Whitney Houston and Madonna at one point.

So I don’t think there is a story here, it just turned out the way it turned out. 🙂

You are always a wealth of information. Maybe I should have asked what 'other' duets did Michael sing with female singers. Looks like not so many, background vocals don't count. I did not forget those, I just have not discovered these yet. I have heard only “ it’s the falling in love”.

Oh and don’t forget the duet with Britney Spears on the way you make me feel!

Do ‘t expect too much of the Riperton duet either, it is more a background vocal as well

Last edited:
This is an interesting question! I wonder if it stems from his comfort and familiarity with other male singers, on a vocal level, from performing with his brothers for so long? I don't personally think any of the duets he does with other men sound weird. I have only heard Hold My Hand a few times and that actually didn't even occur to me lol. I'm not really an Akon fan, so maybe that just distracted me.

Are there any other duets he did with male singers you aren't crazy about? Or any that you like in particular?

Just Good Friends is probably one of my favorite songs from Bad, honestly. And I also LOVE The Girl is Mine, which is funny because I feel like a lot of people aren't crazy about it. But I just think it's the cutest. However, I will say, after discovering the demo of just Michael on YouTube, I do think I prefer it when it's a solo song (mostly because it means more of Michael's sweet voice!).

He also had a duet with Minnie Riperton “ i’m in love again” though I think this was created after Minnie died.
I have all of Minnie's albums. The album that song is on are all songs Minnie was working on before she passed. After she died, new instrumentation and guest vocals by popular singers of the time period was overdubbed. Minnie was in a band called Rotary Connection in the 1960s. Before that she was in a female vocal group called The Gems. The Gems only released a few singles, they never had any albums.

I was just wondering if this was by design or as filmandmusic said, just happened.

Are there any other duets he did with male singers you aren't crazy about? Or any that you like in particular?
I am not crazy about any of them :) I just want to hear Michael's voice :D . Though I really like IJCSLU, it makes for a great romantic song. I wish he did more of those. I do like both versions of Girl is mine though, the silly bantering in duet actually makes it nice.

I am not crazy about any of them :) I just want to hear Michael's voice :D . Though I really like IJCSLU, it makes for a great romantic song. I wish he did more of those. I do like both versions of Girl is mine though, the silly bantering in duet actually makes it nice.
haha I completely understand that!! Michael's voice lights up my life lol. As soon as I hear it, I just instantly feel sooooo much. So I completely get only wanting Michael! I also agree that IJCSLU is a beautiful romantic song and I think their voices work so nice together (though I am not a fan of Sheryl Crow's vocals during the Bad tour).

The first time I heard Girl is Mine I thought the bantering was so silly, but now it's one of my favorite parts :)

Oh interesting, I have never seen that. It was not a duet in the final performance I believe.

Michael Jackson sing a duet with Lisa Marie Presley called "You Are Not Alone".

And of course, he sang with Whitney Houston on her version of "I'm Every Woman".

I think that if you listen to the lyrics of "Hold My Hand" (most notably the line "This life don't last forever"), it takes on more meaning as a male-male duet. It's more of a declaration, I think.

Also, I believe that he actually did record a song with Barbra Streisand, but it was never released.

Back