Empire Film review of Moonwalker

seany

Proud Member
Plot
A combination of live footage of 'Michael Jackson' in concert, as well as a series of fantasy pieces with Jackson as the central character

Review
Love him or loathe him, as both high-funkage stage performer and celebrity car crash, pop monster Michael Jackson is compulsive viewing material. Still, you'll be scratching at your eyes after this terrible milkshake of propaganda and kid's fantasy.

Here, a series of videos are used as stitching for a practically naked narrative that basically amounts to Michael Jackson Running Away While Everybody Tries To Get Him (including, of course, a stop-motion motorcycling rabbit). Moments of unintentional kitsch hilarity abound. It's like having a migraine in Disneyland. Whatís that? It's for kids? Well, so is chickenpox.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?DVDID=10533

They don't mince their words do they?

Yea, I actually agree. If I wasn't a avid Michael fan, I'd hate it too. From a cinematic point of view, it's a really, really, bad movie.

I think the above review comparing it to a migraines or chicken pox was just a way to demean or belittle MJ
It wasnt all that .. most reviews were not as mean spirited.

It wasn't a structured serious film but it did have a plot as far as the storyline about MJ and the children. I would say It was whimsical mish mash. Starting with a history of MJ's career, several music videos and a whimsical storyl set in between it all. It was enjoyable to watch .. very entertaining. especially if you were a MJ fan.

from wiki _ a more fair review from Variety IMO

The movie received generally mixed reviews. Critics praised the music, though complained that there was no plot, and that it seemed like a series of music videos tied together.

Variety reported :that Moonwalker "seems unsure of what it was supposed to be. At the center of the pic is the "Smooth Criminal" segment, a musical/dramatic piece full of dancing, schmaltzy kids, sci-fi effects and blazing machine guns [directed by Colin Chilvers, based on a story by Jackson]. Around it are really just numerous Jackson music videos with little or no linkage. Although quite enjoyable the whole affair does not make for a structured or professional movie.

What? No mention of Smooth Criminal? Come on! At least give credit where credit is due

I honestly don't think the reviews are fair, they just think they're right, but they're NOT. What do they know? I never trust reviews and critics.

Movie critics are mostly useless......It's clear this "critic" doesn't like MJ. It's also clear that he never actually watched the film from start to finish. Not once does he reference to any part of the film. Yep just another hater (the subtitle proves that)!

At least Roger Ebert (RIP) used to tell us why he disliked something. And Roger is one of the very few that writes reviews worth reading (and also indicates that he was paying full attention to every minute of the film).

Also, the empire film guy does not understand that Moonwalker is essentially a collection of Music Videos with an extra segment showing Michael's career up to that point.

Last edited:
Back