Engineer Rob Hoffman On MJ role as a Producer

Ugh, don't even get me started on YouTube, and from what I know the origin of the word stan is some Eminem song.

Here's a link to some info. :)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_(fan)
Oh how funny-really not. I didn't even think it would be on wikipedia-and I figured out what it meant by context but I didn't realize it was combo "stalker/fan." Jeez. I just thought it meant obsessed. Thanks for the info.

King/Emperor Michael keeps SO many other fanbases seething, pressed, distressed, and lookin a mess.
It's probably because no matter who their fave is, that deep down they know MJ is better.

A LOT of other fanbases go out of the way to attack MJ, but VERY rarely do you see MJ fans/stans attack other artist (most of the time when we do it's in defense of MJ), and this is because MJ fans/stans are secure in the fact that MJ is the GOAT, so we don't have to attack other artist to build MJ up. :)

Really?

It was 1999 that MTV put on first though, wasn't it, and it just didn't go anywhere, much less open doors. I assume that MTV played it since it was "rock." Didn't realize that Prince, himself, fed the stories about being bi-racial-thought that all came from the movie-and people just kept on assuming. Very interesting that he played the PR machine like that.

How did Prince get into this conversation anyway? Was that the meaning of it all-that Michael wasn't as good as Prince?

Absolutely not. It was to discuss what he was like in studio as a 'producer'.

^^^^

Correct Psycho.

THIS ONE is to attack MJ as a producer. Your other threads attack him for something else with, no doubt knowing your agenda, more threads to come knocking him down for yet more.

It's tedious.

How did Prince get into this conversation anyway? Was that the meaning of it all-that Michael wasn't as good as Prince?

I think it is Psychoniff who brough Prince up first. I don't really think he is a Prince fan trying to shade MJ. He just uses anyone he deems fit to throw a shade at MJ. Now it was Prince (among others). Based on his past posts about Prince on this forum I don't think Psychoniff particularly cares for him, he just uses anything and anyone to try to shade MJ and get a rise out of people. Never mind that if we applied this new standard of "doing it all alone" to producers now we should also say that Quincy isn't really a producer or Jimmy Jam isn't really a producer. Would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? In fact, in the video in the OP Rob Hoffman says that Jimmy Jam worked the same way. But somehow he floats over that information. LOL.

Another thing I noticed that whenever people refute Psycho's points he just ignores it totally, never addresses any good point, he will just take some half sentence out of context from a long post and use that to derail from the main points in the post or will try to use that to say more provokative things. Classic troll behaviour.

Last edited:
I thought it would be a great idea to just discuss on this thread, about MJ as a 'producer'. I understand that it gets people upset that we have to talk about it because, talking about that aspect of his artistry is not well understood. And many here and on other forums sort of put MJ in the myth status without knowing everything. So establishing a thread that shows what his collaborators say about his bec noir and actions and how he was able to function behind the scenes was always something that i thought would be a great thing for this forum.

Sadly, what I has come to fruition is not so. People throwing around words like 'shades', 'diminish', 'twist', 'bait', 'troll' to deflect from the thread discussion that was posted. I think if we can just get back discussing MJ the 'producer', and stop getting emotional and angry we may be able to have better discussions.

It would be nice just to talk about him as a producer.

Psychoniff;4149320 said:
I thought it would be a great idea to just discuss on this thread, about MJ as a 'producer'. I understand that it gets people upset that we have to talk about it because, talking about that aspect of his artistry is not well understood. And many here and on other forums sort of put MJ in the myth status without knowing everything. So establishing a thread that shows what his collaborators say about his bec noir and actions and how he was able to function behind the scenes was always something that i thought would be a great thing for this forum.

Sadly, what I has come to fruition is not so. People throwing around words like 'shades', 'diminish', 'twist', 'bait', 'troll' to deflect from the thread discussion that was posted. I think if we can just get back discussing MJ the 'producer', and stop getting emotional and angry we may be able to have better discussions.

It would be nice just to talk about him as a producer.

I think you have long past the mark when anyone will buy it from you that these bait threads are attempts at any genuine and honest discussion on your part. Someone who genuinely wants to discuss MJ as a producer will not start the thread with loaded questions and passive-agressive remarks on MJ (note: the original title of the thread was already changed by the mods). Someone who wants a genuine discussion will not cherry-pick just the supposedly "negative" things out of a book, an article or an interview while omitting information or the context which contradicts that negativity and rather makes MJ look positive. I said "supposedly negative", because often they aren't really negative in the context, it is the twist that you put on them and your deliberately negative interpretation that will make them sound negative or worse than what they are. And you do that too all the time. Someone with an intention of a genuine discussion would not behave like that.

Moreover, like I said in my previous post, when people address the things you claim, most of the time you will just float over the great arguments that refute your stance, you rarely ever address them, instead you will just pick out another half sentence from a long post and will go on about some insignificant detail instead of addressing the actual main points of a post. Once again it's not a sign of a desire of a genuine discussion.

The interview in the OP is a great one. By no means it is negative on MJ. My no means it questions MJ's creativity or genius. On the contrary. You are the one who out of a whole almost 2 hours long positive interview wanted to make a negative one based on simply your twist on a couple of things said in it. Once again, your focus and insistance on twisting things to be more negative than they are in their original context is not a sign of a desire for a genuine discussion. And when you do that over and over and over again it is actually a sign of trolling.

And you still keep making the same fallacious arguments that have been addressed over and over again by others in this thread. You just ignore all of that and you keep repeating your initial stance like a bad mantra. Eg:

And many here and on other forums sort of put MJ in the myth status without knowing everything.

Which "myth status"? You take issues with fans supposedly believing MJ did everything alone in the studio. Except no one ever said that or if someone ever did that's a rare opinion in the fandom because most fans are perfectly aware of how he worked. It looks like it is news to you how he worked because you keep acting all shocked about it, but it's an information that most fans have know for decades. It's never been a secret. If this is all news to you then maybe you are one of the Johnny-come-latelys then whom you so condescendingly referred to once in another thread.

So basically your argument is a strawman argument because you take issues with something that people generally do NOT say in the MJ fandom. They do not claim that MJ did everything in the studio all alone. You mix up MJ fans with Prince fans, it seems.

We DO say MJ was a producer, though - without any quotation marks. That's not a myth, that's the truth. Because being a producer doesn't require to do everything on your own. Being a producer doesn't require not to have any assistance. Being a producer doesn't require not to have other people do certain jobs for you. Quincy did all that too and he is considered a great producer, isn't he?

Ironically, reading Making Michael I just came to this part. Said by Brad Buxer whom you so love to use against MJ.

"Future producer Brad Buxer said Michael wasn’t angry with his one-time mentor (Quincy Jones). “He has always had an admiration for him and an immense respect,” Buxer said. “But Michael wanted to control the creative process from A to Z. Simply put, he wanted to be his own boss. Michael was always very independent, and he also wanted to show that his success was not because of one man, namely Quincy."

Last edited:
Psych - you seem to be the type of person while watching a movie to keep pointing out the flaws because it makes you feel you have a deep understanding of things... Well keep in mind you're not the only 'studied' one and many of us are not looking out specifically for the flaws.. It ruins the experience.. and its just sad!

We know Michael did not do everything and most of us feel it would be dumb (while knowing his goal was #1 BEST product) to be full of himself enough to think he can do it all and be known for the quality he is known for..

no need for agendas here, many of us are MJ nerds.. we get it! we're not the ones to 'school'..

Prince did non-commercial albums, but there were also more commercially aimed ones and even those failed to achive a similar impact as MJ's albums.

I don't think Prince had to open anything for MJ. MJ was a star before people even knew who Prince was. OTW was a pretty huge success already. Also it is not simply about who was first on MTV as a black artist. That credit goes to neither of them but Musical Youth. It's about who had a significant, game changing impact initially that also helped the others - and that was MJ and IMO Prince, among other artists, benefitted from that. Prince was on MTV before MJ but his presence didn't have much impact initially. His 1999 album only blew up after Thriller blew up.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/473949/michael-jacksons-thriller-at-30-how-one-album-changed-the-world

Also Prince being on MTV didn't really break down any barriers for MJ. Remember when MJ tried to get Billie Jean played on MTV he had to fight for that. He was declined first and CBS had to issue threats to MTV of pulling all of their artists from MTV if they did not play Billie Jean. That's why MJ got on MTV not because of Prince. On the other hand once he was there he conquered, unlike Prince before. And MJ's presence really did open the floodgates then for other black artists, including Prince.

And on a sidenote: I don't even how black Prince was considered at the time. He is black, as far as I know, both of his parents were black, but at the time there was a certain PR going on about him in the media which suggested he was more white than black. Here is an article about him from Rolling Stone in 1981.

http://princetext.tripod.com/i_stone81.html

So basically this article claims he is only 1/4 black. I don't know who fed these claims but it shows how he was actually viewed by the white rockist media (of which MTV was a part of) at the time.

I know and understand all of that, but overall was simply trying to state that they changed the face of popular music, in a way, together.

Two young black men taking popular music and redefining what a star looks, sounds and acts. They, essentially, changed music

They come from the same school but have different 'degrees'... that's the best way I can explain Michael and Prince..

If you are going to compare talent we can debate that, but when it comes to who effected the musical industry "more" that is a different story!!

No way will I say a bad word about Princes talent, style, and artistic appeal!

Back