Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

I wanted to check the status of this matter after years of absence in this board. Unfortunately I see that there is not much progress.. or things are going very slowly..

It is very courageous from Vera Serova to have filed a lawsuit, but it's been 4 years since the case was opened and nothing really new is coming out of this.

I find it shocking that Sony & the Estate dare to say that even if the vocals are not MJ nothing was done wrong as they just trusted Porte and Cascio.

This can't be accepted, because:

- they were warned that the tracks were fake before they released them.

- there was a listening session of all tracks and Howard Weitzman wrote a statement saying that everybody believed that the vocals were Michael, but we know that Cory Rooney and Taryll Jackson were also present and had a different opinion.

- the Estate and Sony claimed to have hired forensic musicologists to analyze the vocals but never gave any detail. I hope they will be asked to show the results to the justice, because considering the huge difference between Jason's and Michael's voices, any analysis proving it is Michael is necessarily flawed.

- they have to give credits to a song upon strong proofs of their authenticity, and we know that they don't have any proof, not even alternative takes, video, photos of the recording sessions, etc. What if tomorrow I record my voice and sell it to the Estate? Is it enough that they trust me to credit the songs as MJ and sell them?

- the Estate has the responsibility of Michael's heritage (else who has it?). No matter if they were fooled themselves, if the end-user was sold fake material they hold the responsibility for it.

- they created a making-of which tries to explain that the songs are authentic, showing the studio, etc. It is part of the album promotion (the video ends up with the presentation of the Album being available for sales, etc.), and so their claim to have the right to rip people off as long as it’s a noncommercial speech is an outrage that should be strictly rejected!

I am sure there was much more evidences pointed out by the fans.. hard to remember everything after almost 8 years..

I don't know who is Vera Serova, if she acts alone or if she participated to the discussions here or on other boards.. but I hope she receives support from the fans. A lot of inconsistencies were noticed, and it would be too bad if they would not be used to respond to these impostors. I doubt that the lawyers, without being paid significantly, would spend so much time investigating on the issue...

So frustrating that these songs remain in Michael's catalog and that the truth might never be publicly revealed...

Cascio/Sony lawsuit

Not sure if this has been covered in another topic but just would like to provide this information.
You can view the status of the trial here -
https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/2...vera-serova-v-sony-music-entertainment-et-al/

26 Filed: 2/25/2018, Entered: 2/25/2018 Stipulation and Order
JOINT STIPULATIONA ND ORDER TO CONTINUE FEBRUARY 27, 2015 FURTHER STATUS CONFERENCE AND EXTEND STAY
This basically means that as of the above date, Sony are seeing if they can settle the case out of case through payout. Doesnt seem fair that the fan that sued them should recieve the money as she is not a major stakeholder but thats the loopholes of the legal system for you. The fan, Vera Serova, can continue the trial in court or just take a payout which i assume she will take. Just intresting that their has been an update in this case in the present year. The case has been extended meaning the trial has been going on longer than expected.

Re: Cascio/Sony lawsuit

Not sure if this has been covered in another topic but just would like to provide this information.
https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/2...vera-serova-v-sony-music-entertainment-et-al/

JOINT STIPULATIONA ND ORDER TO CONTINUE FEBRUARY 27, 2015 FURTHER STATUS CONFERENCE AND EXTEND STAY
This basically means that as of the above date, Sony are seeing if they can settle the case out of case through payout. Doesnt seem fair that the fan that sued them should recieve the money as she is not a major stakeholder but thats the loopholes of the legal system for you. The fan, Vera Serova, can continue the trial in court or just take a payout which i assume she will take. Just intresting that their has been an update in this case in the present year. The case has been extended meaning the trial has been going on longer than expected.

I think she has been offered a settlement before and has refused.

Re: Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

I hope she doesn't take it. Kinda defeats the point no?

Re: Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

I hope she doesn't take it. Kinda defeats the point no?

Yes, it does. I mean.....if she was going to take a settlement, then surely she could have done that, ages ago and I also thought it was a class action, on behalf of all fans, or something?? I haven't really followed it much.

Re: Cascio/Sony lawsuit

No. The case is stayed because Sony and the Estate are appealing the trial court's denial of their anti-SLAPP motion. During the duration of the appeal, the trial court proceedings are stayed according to the procedural rules. The trial has not started.

Last edited:

its annoying how long these things take.. I find myself usually a patient person but with Mike.. its hard

They haven't offered any out-of-court settlement afaik.

I was about to say why would they offer her a "Out of court settlement"? To shut her up LOL

Go ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

EXPOSE THEM!

I think she will not settle. Seems like a fans that want's to know the truth and wants the truth out in the open.

So hopefully this case will have it's day in court and we will all know the truth.

Can't believe it's taken so long though...

The Estate would probably gain back some trust if they were open about what happened. Admit that they were duped, admit that they made a terrible decision, and took some action with regards to the songs being a part of Michael's catalog. Instead they do nothing but try to cover their own ass. The only thing we can take from that is that clearly they are NOT trustworthy.

I'm still pissed off over this hater/moron appearing on "Michael" album :grrrrrr....

]

He said what he said about Michael long after the album-release. Before that and even before Michaels death he did defend Michael in another interview.

You never know how people change.

Last edited:

Sony confirm songs are fake: [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]https://twitter.com/ATruthUntold/status/1031980966032490496[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]They've got 90 days to make a decision. If it is deemed non-commercial speech, the crooks who run MJs image are off the hook. [/FONT]

Sony confirm songs are fake: https://twitter.com/ATruthUntold/status/1031980966032490496

They've got 90 days to make a decision. If it is deemed non-commercial speech, the crooks who run MJs image are off the hook.

That's highly sensational nonsense by the MJCast, D.S. & Co. Sony and the Estate have not said anything in that regard.
Some of these people do not understand much about legal talk from lawyers and some others are intentionally twisting their lawyers' words because the media is not reporting about it which - among other things - also happens to be due to the fact that neither Sony nor the Estate have said any such thing.
It is all legal tactics to get the case dismissed for them. The same has happened about a year ago and the same people have misunderstood and/or twisted their lawyers' words. There has been no trial and there have been no "confirmations" or anything like that.

Also much of the legal proceedings have been wasted with the issue of commercial speech because if there was none, consumers could still be deceived/damaged - in the USA and other countries - due to the bona fide rights protection which in this case means that Michael Jackson was known to be a vocal performer, a singer and all of his previously released albums would contain songs that he performed on his own, not one exception.
From past empirical values consumers could rightly expect that the album or individual songs that are all labelled "Michael Jackson" would be sung by no other than Michael Jackson. Unlike groups like Genesis eg Michael Jackson did not have another singer that would perform instead of himself.
The album was teased with "Breaking News", labelled "Michael Jackson". Consumers could in no way conclude that instead they would buy songs that were not sung by Michael Jackson. They could only acquire the individual songs or the album in good faith, thus they would have been deceived/damaged if the songs were instead performed by an entirely different person. Due to Michael's name recognition and his body of work, noone would expect songs by "Michael Jackson" to be sung by person XYZ instead. That can't be said for every artist but in Michael's case there would not be any other expectation that consumers can rely on.

Additionally, the omnipresent labelling (especially in today's digital age), the credits, the (public) copyright registrations that have legal consequences - all these things are NOT commercial speech, yet they are all publicly viewable and consumers can perceive them.

A lot of wasted time and Serova's lawyers have unfortunately failed to see that. Because Sony and the Estate could not be removed from the case if they made this clear to the judges. It is an established principle of the law that protects consumers and the case should have focused on that from day one, yet not even a word about it.

Last edited:

That's highly sensational nonsense by the MJCast, D.S. & Co. Sony and the Estate have not said anything in that regard.
Some of these people do not understand much about legal talk from lawyers and some others are intentionally twisting their lawyers' words because the media is not reporting about it which - among other things - also happens to be due to the fact that neither Sony nor the Estate have said any such thing.
It is all legal tactics to get the case dismissed for them. The same has happened about a year ago and the same people have misunderstood and/or twisted their lawyers' words. There has been no trial and there have been no "confirmations" or anything like that.

Also much of the legal proceedings have been wasted with the issue of commercial speech because if there was none, consumers could still be deceived/damaged - in the USA and other countries - due to the bona fide rights protection which in this case means that Michael Jackson was known to be a vocal performer, a singer and all of his previously released albums would contain songs that he performed on his own, not one exception.
From past empirical values consumers could rightly expect that the album or individual songs that are all labelled "Michael Jackson" would be sung by no other than Michael Jackson. Unlike groups like Genesis eg Michael Jackson did not have another singer that would perform instead of himself.
The album was teased with "Breaking News", labelled "Michael Jackson". Consumers could in no way conclude that instead they would buy songs that were not sung by Michael Jackson. They could only acquire the individual songs or the album in good faith, thus they would have been deceived/damaged if the songs were instead performed by an entirely different person. Due to Michael's name recognition and his body of work, noone would expect songs by "Michael Jackson" to be sung by person XYZ instead. That can't be said for every artist but in Michael's case there would not be any other expectation that consumers can rely on.

Additionally, the omnipresent labelling (especially in today's digital age), the credits, the (public) copyright registrations that have legal consequences - all these things are NOT commercial speech, yet they are all publicly viewable and consumers can perceive them.

A lot of wasted time and Serova's lawyers have unfortunately failed to see that. Because Sony and the Estate could not be removed from the case if they made this clear to the judges. It is an established principle of the law that protects consumers and the case should have focused on that from day one, yet not even a word about it.

Do you now concede that it is not Michael's voice on the Cascio tracks?

We all know who's gonna have the last laugh on this, oh boy!

Are we actually expecting anything significant to come of this?

If the estate gave a crap about Michael, something would come of it. So I guess there is the answer.

I didn't realise people thought these were real still!! Shocked by some responses.

Huh?
If you go on social media and see a fraction of obsessed people acting like Sony and the Estate would have "conceded" this and that, again acting like Teddy Riley would have "conceded" 5 years ago that the songs were fake - twisting a sole Twitter conversation of him that does de facto not even adress the songs' authenticity (neither directly nor indirectly) - and then again mostly the same people cherishing two guys from the UK that were conducting cyber crimes and depicting them as poor victims of evil body corporates (still maintaining the blatant lie that they were searching for "evidence"), it just shows you how cringeworthy this all has become.
All this "mjfam" and "real fans" talk is beyond ridiculous. People get expelled and bashed like in areas with low educational levels. The internet is a breeding ground for people finding their comfort zone where they can feel happy telling each other they feel the same. It just doesn't transfer to real life though where things in this regard are actually looking totally different.

You've gotta thank these folks for the whole "it was this guy" bullshit that in the end is totally misguided fan misconception, going down in history as an internet myth.

Also one should bear in mind, for people who can see that Trump is a liar and is making false statements, misusing the word "fake news" and creating such himself, it is astonishing that they are doing exactly the same, actively spreading false information about Sony Music and the MJ Estate, thus creating fake news about what this pre-trial bearings have brought to the table which at the moment regarding the very matter is ZERO.
It's that easy but they are not satisfied with this and desperately feel to push their agenda which comes down to force their opinion onto as many people on this planet so they can all feel happy. Celebrating each other is meaningless.

Last edited:

You've gotta thank these folks for the whole "it was this guy" bullshit that in the end is totally misguided fan misconception, going down in history as an internet myth.
So you still do not believe Jason Malachi is singing those songs?

Yes. The truth has to come out some day and this trial is our best bet.

Associating these songs with this person is the biggest issue some of the fans have brought to themselves. Mark my words.

Yes. The truth has to come out some day and this trial is our best bet.

I agree it's our best bet, but I think expecting anything at all is too much hahah.

Associating these songs with this person is the biggest issue some of the fans have brought to themselves. Mark my words.
Words marked, this will be fun. I really hope that when it comes out that these songs are indeed fake, and we know the guy who sang the songs, that you come out and admit how wrong you were. That would take a real man.

Huh?
If you go on social media and see a fraction of obsessed people acting like Sony and the Estate would have "conceded" this and that, again acting like Teddy Riley would have "conceded" 5 years ago that the songs were fake - twisting a sole Twitter conversation of him that does de facto not even adress the songs' authenticity (neither directly nor indirectly) - and then again mostly the same people cherishing two guys from the UK that were conducting cyber crimes and depicting them as poor victims of evil body corporates (still maintaining the blatant lie that they were searching for "evidence"), it just shows you how cringeworthy this all has become.
All this "mjfam" and "real fans" talk is beyond ridiculous. People get expelled and bashed like in areas with low educational levels. The internet is a breeding ground for people finding their comfort zone where they can feel happy telling each other they feel the same. It just doesn't transfer to real life though where things in this regard are actually looking totally different.

Also one should bear in mind, for people who can see that Trump is a liar and is making false statements, misusing the word "fake news" and creating such himself, it is astonishing that they are doing exactly the same, actively spreading false information about Sony Music and the MJ Estate, thus creating fake news about what this pre-trial bearings have brought to the table which at the moment regarding the very matter is ZERO.
It's that easy but they are not satisfied with this and desperately feel to push their agenda which comes down to force their opinion onto as many people on this planet so they can all feel happy. Celebrating each other is meaningless.

Korgnex what does any of that have to do with the question you were asked? Do you think the songs were sung by Michael?

Words marked, this will be fun. I really hope that when it comes out that these songs are indeed fake, and we know the guy who sang the songs, that you come out and admit how wrong you were. That would take a real man.

So if we win, what happens? MJ Estate + co have to admit they scammed us all?

Back