Ever Wonder What Michael Jackson Admired: Full Lists of People, Places & Things

Michael with the mime artist, Marcel Marceau.

tumblr_mebqv3GRUc1rlol2bo1_500.jpg

ShawshankRedemptionMoviePoster.jpg
140705_strangerinmoscow.jpg

Just posted these images over in Golden History era thread but realised it makes sense to post them here, also, but more as a question mark.

There are very few examples of journalists asking Michael about his work in any meaningful way - so much emphasis on Thriller, so little interest in anything else - so there's no way to know if this is just sheer co-incidence or if Michael (or his director, Nick Brandt) was inspired by the film or by this poster. Michael would have been aware of the film, I'm sure of that, so it would be interesting to know what thoughts he had about it.

Last edited:
Bartos stated in his interview that:

“As far as I remember, Michael Jackson wanted to work with us, but he also wanted to buy the master tapes of ‘The Man-Machine,’ which was not possible.”

Kraftwerk / The Man Machine

5m 32s

On a trip to Gary in 2003, the limo was discussing the 1996 movie "Sling Blade". Michael loved a scene from it. The movie made a big impression on me. It's about the friendship between a boy and a criminal. And about the relative good and bad of our world.

On a trip to Gary in 2003, the limo was discussing the 1996 movie "Sling Blade". Michael loved a scene from it. The movie made a big impression on me. It's about the friendship between a boy and a criminal. And about the relative good and bad of our world.
Was it this scene, hope? The bit about 'dot dot dot' was quite funny for me, not so much the rest of it. Film is not really my thing, though.

"Dot dot dot clip from Slingblade"

2m 2s

I just rewatched the Geraldo interview and couldn’t find it but I do remember Michael saying that he likes Arnold Schwarzenegger somewhere.
Oh, that's a shame, I was going to check it out. But you heard it / saw it somewhere. It's not the kind of thing you could just randomly dream up. Of course, it immediately makes me want to have a conversation with Michael about Terminator 2, lol. I'd love to know his thoughts.

Oh, that's a shame, I was going to check it out. But you heard it / saw it somewhere. It's not the kind of thing you could just randomly dream up. Of course, it immediately makes me want to have a conversation with Michael about Terminator 2, lol. I'd love to know his thoughts.
I’m 100% sure that Michael mentioned liking Arnold in the 2000s (2000-2009) and maybe there’s an extended version of the Geraldo interview where Michael mentions it. Arnold is a movie and bodybuilding icon, larger than life. I wouldn’t be surprised if Michael likes the Terminator series, lol.

I’m 100% sure that Michael mentioned liking Arnold in the 2000s (2000-2009) and maybe there’s an extended version of the Geraldo interview where Michael mentions it. Arnold is a movie and bodybuilding icon, larger than life. I wouldn’t be surprised if Michael likes the Terminator series, lol.
I've watched most of the obvious Michael interviews but haven't watched the Geraldo thing in full, as I said, and there are a couple of radio Q&A's that I never finished bc I found them a bit dull. I can imagine Michael being into the Terminator films, not so sure about Conan. That's my bias showing up, lol.

Anyway, this is definitely an intriguing little bit of info.

Michael liked Ne-Yos Nobody:
While "Closer" is about a dancefloor hookup between two strangers, "Nobody" presents a different scenario. "Say she didn't give you anything, but instead she just started dancing, and it was the most amazing thing you've ever seen," Ne-Yo said. "It's like she's untouchable, like it would be a sin to touch her or dance with her, with what's going on with her right now."
When Ne-Yo played the track for Jackson, with whom he's currently working, he got a positive response. "He told me that he likes the way I do Michael Jackson," Ne-Yo beamed. "I asked him what he meant by that, and he said, 'When you do that, it doesn't feel like you're trying to copy me or trying to be me. It feels like you're complimenting me.' And that's what I'm doing. It means the world that he liked it."

I've watched most of the obvious Michael interviews but haven't watched the Geraldo thing in full, as I said, and there are a couple of radio Q&A's that I never finished bc I found them a bit dull. I can imagine Michael being into the Terminator films, not so sure about Conan. That's my bias showing up, lol.

Anyway, this is definitely an intriguing little bit of info.
I found the clip where Michael says he likes Arnold Schwarzenegger as an actor in movies, and it was indeed in the 2005 Geraldo interview.

Here‘s the link:

I found the clip where Michael says he likes Arnold Schwarzenegger as an actor in movies, and it was indeed in the 2005 Geraldo interview.

Here‘s the link:
Thank you! I don't remember this bit so I've clearly always bailed out by now. I wish we could know more but, still, this was great. I really need to watch the whole thing.

from: Bill Whitfield. “Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days.”:
“I’ll never forget this one time we were driving in the car. Normally we’d listen to classical music when we were driving, but this time I had the radio on an R & B station and Bobby Brown’s “My Prerogative” came on. When the song ended, Mr. Jackson said, “Bill, can you play that again?”I said, “I’m sorry, sir. That wasn’t a CD. That was the radio.”So he asked me to go out and get a copy of the album for him. I went to Best Buy, picked it up, and for the next few days, he had me play that song again and again, all day long. Bobby Brown’s “My Prerogative” was the only thing Michael Jackson ever asked to listen to in the car besides classical music. He said he wanted to record it, make it part of his comeback. He played it over and over and over, singing along until he’d memorized every last word: “I don’t need permission. Make my own decision. That’s my prerogative.” He’d be in the backseat singing those words, and he sang that shit with conviction. It’s my prerogative. Do what the fuck I want to do.I keep that song on my iPhone today. I listen to it every now and then. But I don’t hear it the way Bobby Brown sings it. I hear it the way Michael Jackson used to sing it. Just leave me alone. I made this money, you didn’t. But he didn’t know how to get there.”

I'm sure MJ liked Hungry like the Wolf from Duran Duran
sounds like BoW

Did MJ like Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift? The Leave Me Alone Video seems to be inspired by Part I: A Voyage to Lilliput

Did MJ like Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift? The Leave Me Alone Video seems to be inspired by Part I: A Voyage to Lilliput
It's ages since I looked at this. Can't remember if it lists Gulliver's Travels. It's a list of some of the books from Michael's library.

https://sofiaolivochatblancshenfu.wordpress.com/

The question of GT does crop up now and again. The consensus seems to be that the LMA video was inpsired by it but I don't know if there is a definitive answer.

EDIT - there might be something further back in this thread, lol.

Last edited:
Michael loved musical theater and visited with the casts of several Broadway musicals over the years, including The Phantom of The Opera. This week in 1988 he and Liza Minelli attended that musical and visited with its star, Michael Crawford.

Back