Exclusive Q&A With Sony/BMG USA

064.jpg
MJJCommunity
recently sat down with Jeremy Meyers - Manager, Digital Editorial and Fan Relations at SONY BMG Commercial Music Group. This is what he had to say:

MJJC: Give us a bit of history about Jeremy Meyers?

JM: I'm 29, live in New York City. I've been a music lover all my life. I started in the music industry in 1999 at TVT Records, and at Sony Music in 2004. I'm privileged to be able to work on podcasts for the extensive catalog that Legacy Recordings is in control of, including, of course, Michael Jackson. I also run Legacy's blog(http://blogs.legacyrecordings.com/thesoundboard) and write our newsletters.

MJJC: Tell us how you became involved with the Thriller 25 project?

JM: Our digital team was tasked with doing more outside-the-box stuff than we'd ever done before for this project, and being an integral part of the team, decided that a groundbreaking podcast event would be just the thing, in order to try to tell the story of Thriller from every possible angle.

MJJC: Are you satisfied with the success of the project?

JM: I don't think we're ever completely satisfied with our work. There are things we could have done more of, but I'm very proud to have worked so hard with so many talented people on bringing innovative campaigns to life online for Thriller25.

MJJC: MJ Fans love T25! What more can we expect? More videos?

JM: Well, we're releasing Thriller on picture disc vinyl in September, and you should expect some surprises around Halloween.

MJJC: Thrillercast is really the first of its kind. Can you tell us a bit more information about it? How was it conceived?

JM: I've worked really hard with our producer (Joe Vella of Vella Interactive) to pull together a diverse group of people to be a part of Thrillercast. We came up with a 'dream list' of people we'd want to be a part of, then divided them into different categories (musicians, producers, choreographers, etc). We then approached each artist individually, through their publicists or managers, or directors. A large majority of people we asked immediately said that they'd love to be a part of it. The most interesting thing about the
whole project is how everyone seems to have their own "Thriller Story" about the first time they heard the album or saw the video. I hope everyone finds it as interesting as I do to hear people's stories! I think that listening to Thrillercast (and being a part of creating it) really gives you a much deeper appreciation for Thriller as a piece of art. There are a few big names still to come on Thrillercast, so stay tuned and please tell your friends about it!

MJJC: Have you met the King of Pop before? If so, can you share your experience with us?

JM: I have not, unfortunately. However, the head of Legacy Recordings has and was pretty much in awe of his presence, his passion for music and his business acumen.

MJJC: MJ Fans are dying to know the answer to this question: Will there be any new releases (new music) from Sony and Michael Jackson?

JM: Honestly I do not know. You can be sure, however, that if anything like that happens, you'll find out on michaeljackson.com! Also, be sure to pick up the Thriller picture disc vinyl when it comes out on September 30th.

MJJC: Thank you for answering our questions!

JM: No prob...happy to respond to follow-ups if you have any!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Back