Experiental Style Film About MJ.

Psychoniff

Proud Member
So I have this idea for a video documentary of nothing but live footage/performances of MJ's whole career from the family footage of him as young boy right up until TII footage to showcase MJ's talent as a live performer. Basically, the documentary will contain NO actual narrator, but may have subtitles and footage of his various interviews (similar to his voice over in OTW37 ) as away to keep the overall flow adhesives and to further the the documentaries narrative.

Also, If anyone here id a familiar with a 2005 documentary which focused on famous football player, Zinedine Zidane, The film is a documentary focused purely on Zidane using slow motion capture and different camera angles. This would be the kind of style that could work for an MJ experimental style film.

The overall point of this type of a documentary will be to illustrate his abilities as a live performer and show the dynamism of his vocal and dance abilites.

What do you guys think of this idea, would it be a good idea or not?

Basically the same type documentary as Senna/Amy?

I would be all for that. No pointless talking heads.

Basically the same type documentary as Senna/Amy?

I would be all for that. No pointless talking heads.

I haven't seen either but if it's what I think: a no-talk or minimal-talk documentary would be great for MJ. His art, concert footage, demos etc. would speak for themselves.

I haven't seen either but if it's what I think: a no-talk or minimal-talk documentary would be great for MJ. His art, concert footage, demos etc. would speak for themselves.

Oh you have to see them both. Even if you dont like F1, Senna is amazing.

Amy speaks for itself. It's so heartbreaking and frustrating the way everything happened. Amy focuses a lot on her personal life (it would have been hard to separate from the music she released in fairness) but I would love to see a similar take on MJ's personal life- giving nothing but factual information via real footage and recordings of the time.

Would recommend both films VERY MUCH to everyone

I've not seen it. who Senna, I assume Amy is Amy Winehouse right?

Ayrton Senna was one of the best formula 1 race drivers of all time. He died after a car crash in San Marino in 94 on TV. The documentary is told through interviews and stock footage and is absolutely astonishingly well made. Even for people who dont like F1

^Could you imagine one like that on MJ? Considering how much footage is available of his whole career, it would be astonishing.

Oh you have to see them both. Even if you dont like F1, Senna is amazing.

Amy speaks for itself. It's so heartbreaking and frustrating the way everything happened. Amy focuses a lot on her personal life (it would have been hard to separate from the music she released in fairness) but I would love to see a similar take on MJ's personal life- giving nothing but factual information via real footage and recordings of the time.

Would recommend both films VERY MUCH to everyone

The music documentary I watched recently was Kurt Cobain: Heck of a Montage. It was hyped a lot last year but I did not like it that much. It has a lot of private footage as well, but I felt it was invasive. For example, there is footage showing Kurt and Courtney totally drugged up, in a very much messed up state and stuff like that. Of course, most of the time you cannot totally seperate an artists' art and private life - you have to know about this stuff to understand where Kurt was coming from in his lyrics, songs. I get that, but to me it's still very questionable whether putting such footage out there is OK or not, especially when the person in question is not here to OK that and especially when that person was known to hate the media for putting their nose in his private business.

(I like Formula One, it's just that I think Senna is a bit overly mythicized and often sugarcoated, so I guess that's what kept me from watching it so far. But one day maybe I will.)

^^That Montage of Heck was one of the most depressing documentaries I've ever seen. It actually put me on a major downer after seeing it, it seemed all darkness and endlessly hopeless. Amy is superb, you see the rise and the fall but you also see how she was consumed through the medias endless pursuit of her and how the industry exploited her despite the warning signs being extremely prevalent from the beginning going back to her upbringing and how incredibly fragile she was. It's a cautionary tale of how fame can destroy a person not equipt to deal with it.

My brother has been wanting me to see Senna for ever, he says it's another masterpiece from the Amy director. I may give it a go now.

The same director, given all access to the MJ vaults would probably create a masterful gritty fly on the wall account of MJ on and off the stage, no voice overs, just letting the footage tell the story. Some of that footage from the Bad tour; taken by MJ's own crew is incredible; MJ walking to the stage and the camera behind him as the show is about to start. That type of footage of MJ at that time on tour would make on hell of a film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back