Extra Album?

james283126

Proud Member
It’s no secret that Michael took a long time to churn out albums. Which is a good thing no doubt because it shows craftsmanship, effort and wanting nothing short of perfection. However I think it often times left us fans yearning for more frequent releases. So! My question to you all is, if you were the producer for Mike, and you had complete control on releases etc would you include an extra album and where in the timeline would it go? What are some songs you’d put on it and what would the album be titled? Also, what tracks would you want videos (short films) for?

Mine would have to be an album in that Thrad era circa 1985 ish. I think that era was a huge missed opportunity! It could lead up to the release of EO and I would want it to follow closer to the formula of Thriller before the radical departure in tone that was Bad.

I think I’d call the album Trouble. I’d change the name from “She’s trouble” to just “Trouble” which I think fits better anyway.

1. Got The Hots (so underrated! Those harmonies are nuts!)
2. Hot Street (Music Video for this! Very neon and 80’s esque)
3. Carousel (Video for this as well!)
4. Nite Line (never was crazy about this song but after Beano Wild posted their remix, I saw the potential in it.)
5. Behind The Mask (with a more polished production)
6. Love Never Felt So Good (Also a more polished update would be good)
7. Who Do You Know (I think a somber video would work well for this)
8. We Are Here To Change The World
9. Dream Away (Upon further listens, it’s absolutely beautiful but needs some sprucing up and changes to some lyrics)
10. Trouble

It’s no secret that Michael took a long time to churn out albums. Which is a good thing no doubt because it shows craftsmanship, effort and wanting nothing short of perfection. However I think it often times left us fans yearning for more frequent releases. So! My question to you all is, if you were the producer for Mike, and you had complete control on releases etc would you include an extra album and where in the timeline would it go? What are some songs you’d put on it and what would the album be titled? Also, what tracks would you want videos (short films) for?

Mine would have to be an album in that Thrad era circa 1985 ish. I think that era was a huge missed opportunity! It could lead up to the release of EO and I would want it to follow closer to the formula of Thriller before the radical departure in tone that was Bad.

I think I’d call the album Trouble. I’d change the name from “She’s trouble” to just “Trouble” which I think fits better anyway.

4. Nite Line (never was crazy about this song but after Beano Wild posted their remix, I saw the potential in it.)
9. Dream Away (Upon further listens, it’s absolutely beautiful but needs some sprucing up and changes to some lyrics)
10. Trouble
Releasing a new studio album around 1985 was virtually impossible for Michael Jackson.

Note that he had been travelling and performing for the Victory Tour until December (1984), and he had been singing live on that tour.

The singer was also on the brink of being overexposed in 1985 ('Thriller' album, Victory Tour, etc) and because of that a new studio album in that year was not a good idea for him in terms of timing.

Being overexposed is not really a good thing for an artist because it can lead to a backlash (from media and people) against the artist.

Also, these songs for that new studio album are very weak, especially for a follow-up to his 'Thriller' album.

These songs would have also made that new studio album sound like an inferior version of his 'Thriller' album.

10. Trouble
suprised at how well people are recieving the mix ive made, when i listened to the pointer sisters version (which is literally the instrumental to the remix) i thought "holy shit the mj version is just completely let down by it's pitch and instruments", which is what the estate is prob thinking with holding it back.

@Beano Wild where can I find your remix of nite line? thanks

On topic:

Absolutely agree an extra album should have happened. In fact 2 extra albums should have happened. I made a similar thread about it a week ago.

album in 1984, 1986 and 1989 (bad) but I realize of course this was impossible due to the longevity of thriller's success. It was still selling millions in 1984 so a new album would be unwise. In the thread I made I hypothetically went with a more realistic career where Thriller in 1984 was already out of the charts.
Thriller was a curse for me, I wanted more music. MJ was very prolific in the 80s constantly recording (as in the 70s) and there was enough quality to make a few more stellar albums (though not of the same quality of thriller)

In the post bad years things are different. MJ opted for long worldwide grueling tours (and possible career breaking controversies) so the gap between albums was warranted imo

After Invincible another 2 albums should have been released but I guess his heart wasn't in it any longer with the trial and controversies and all, understandable.

PS SAULT released 5 albums beaming with quality in 2022 alone, imagine being a fan of these guys..., Neil Young as well he released an album a year and has been since the 60s. It's awesome imo

Last edited:
There was enough material made to make another album between Bad and Dangerous. Although I think just making Bad a double album would've been a good move. That was the original plan for it I believe. I get why they cut it down of course, quality over quantity always.

For the hell of it;

1. Streetwalker
2. Don't Be Messin' 'Round
3. I'm So Blue
4. Free
5. Price Of Fame
6. Fly Away
7. Loving You
8. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
9. Cheater
10. Chicago 1945
11. Scared Of The Moon

Not nearly as strong as the actual Bad album but the tracklisting would've been different had it been a double album anyways

Last edited:
2 things. 1st I'd redo BOTDF and make it a proper album. Ditch the remixes, and add to the original 5 tracks with other tracks, songs around that time period such as On The Line, Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Slave To The Rhythm, Blue Gangsta, Mind Is The Magic, etc.

As far as another album, definitely sometime around 2005 or 06.

@Beano Wild where can I find your remix of nite line? thanks

On topic:

Absolutely agree an extra album should have happened. In fact 2 extra albums should have happened. I made a similar thread about it a week ago.

album in 1984, 1986 and 1989 (bad) but I realize of course this was impossible due to the longevity of thriller's success. It was still selling millions in 1984 so a new album would be unwise. In the thread I made I hypothetically went with a more realistic career where Thriller in 1984 was already out of the charts.
Thriller was a curse for me, I wanted more music. MJ was very prolific in the 80s constantly recording (as in the 70s) and there was enough quality to make a few more stellar albums (though not of the same quality of thriller)

In the post bad years things are different. MJ opted for long worldwide grueling tours (and possible career breaking controversies) so the gap between albums was warranted imo

After Invincible another 2 albums should have been released but I guess his heart wasn't in it any longer with the trial and controversies and all, understandable.

PS SAULT released 5 albums beaming with quality in 2022 alone, imagine being a fan of these guys..., Neil Young as well he released an album a year and has been since the 60s. It's awesome imo
Here

There should have been an album in 1985 and Bad album should have been released in 1988.

The 1985 Album would be titled Behind The Mask and the track listing would be as follows:

1) Chicago Nights aka Chicago 1945
2) Dream Away
3) State of Shock ft Freddie Mercury
4) Another Part of Me
5) Dirty Diana
6) Liberian Girl
7) Behind The Mask
8) Love Never Felt So Good
9) Who Do You Know
10) Sunset Driver

I think that is a pretty solid album.

I’m not entirely sure I’d tinker with Michael’s catalog if given the opportunity because I truly feel it is among the best discographies of all time. He released six full-length albums in his adult life, and only one is the subject of any widespread quality-related debates. Compare that to nearly every other legacy artist and their handful of lesser albums and projects. I would argue that, barring perhaps The Beatles, Michael’s batting average is incredible and shouldn’t be tampered with.

However, if I had to, I would have loved something in 1999, around when Invincible was originally scheduled. The material he was pumping out at this time was outstanding. An album with “Blue Gangsta,” “Fall Again,” “Hollywood Tonight,” “Beautiful Girl,” “The Way You Love Me,” and “Another Day” would be incredible.

There should have been an album in 1985 and Bad album should have been released in 1988.

The 1985 Album would be titled Behind The Mask and the track listing would be as follows:

1) Chicago Nights aka Chicago 1945
2) Dream Away
3) State of Shock ft Freddie Mercury
4) Another Part of Me
5) Dirty Diana
6) Liberian Girl
7) Behind The Mask
8) Love Never Felt So Good
9) Who Do You Know
10) Sunset Driver

I think that is a pretty solid album.
Not bad at all! However in your timeline was SOS never released on Victory then? I thought about adding it to my tracklist as well cause I think SOS would have worked better on a solo album as well. Although, I know I’ll get shit for this, I actually think Jaggers vocals worked better than Mercury’s on that song, even though Freddie sang circles around Mick.

Not bad at all! However in your timeline was SOS never released on Victory then? I thought about adding it to my tracklist as well cause I think SOS would have worked better on a solo album as well. Although, I know I’ll get shit for this, I actually think Jaggers vocals worked better than Mercury’s on that song, even though Freddie sang circles around Mick.
Yes, in my timeline, I would save State of Shock for a solo album.

And I absolutely hate Jagger's version. I can't stand his voice.

However, if I had to, I would have loved something in 1999, around when Invincible was originally scheduled. The material he was pumping out at this time was outstanding. An album with “Blue Gangsta,” “Fall Again,” “Hollywood Tonight,” “Beautiful Girl,” “The Way You Love Me,” and “Another Day” would be incredible.
I wish we would have gotten that instead of "Crappy".....oops I mean "Invincible"....
An album with songs like Hollywood Tonight,Beautiful Girl,Another Day,Fall Again 🥺....that would have been the best Jackson album I swear.
I still hate Mike for not releasing those songs and giving us shit as his last album. I will never forgive him for that. He could have released a masterpiece in 99 yet he had to follow outdated cringe trends and release some cringe stuff as his farewell album.
How could he ...

I think an album between Thriller and Bad would have been great, too bad Thriller kind of overextended it's welcome within people's minds and it was still selling millions by 1984.

I'd take less sales and chart success with an album released every 2 years over 2 albums a decade with huge hits. The material was all there. It is not like he wasn't recording.

I wish we would have gotten that instead of "Crappy".....oops I mean "Invincible"....
An album with songs like Hollywood Tonight,Beautiful Girl,Another Day,Fall Again 🥺....that would have been the best Jackson album I swear.
I still hate Mike for not releasing those songs and giving us shit as his last album. I will never forgive him for that. He could have released a masterpiece in 99 yet he had to follow outdated cringe trends and release some cringe stuff as his farewell album.
How could he ...
I maintain that Invincible is over-hated and far better on repeated listens, but it definitely is a less than ideal album to end his catalog with.

I maintain that Invincible is over-hated and far better on repeated listens, but it definitely is a less than ideal album to end his catalog with.
For another artist, that album would be a SMASH 10/10 album! For Michael, it’s a good 4/10. He’d already shown time and time again that his music was above and beyond the rest and part of that was his own personal touch to his music. Each album he had his own handcrafted written songs were usually the highlights (Sans Dangerous). Especially on Thriller and Bad where without his contributions those albums wouldn’t have been nearly as popular and on Bad surly wouldn’t have been anything special. Vince lacked that MJ touch, simple. Felt soulless and Jerkins is a very underwhelming producer compared to Quincy and even Riley.

10. Trouble
I actually love this!!! & agree 1000%

For another artist, that album would be a SMASH 10/10 album! For Michael, it’s a good 4/10. He’d already shown time and time again that his music was above and beyond the rest and part of that was his own personal touch to his music. Each album he had his own handcrafted written songs were usually the highlights (Sans Dangerous). Especially on Thriller and Bad where without his contributions those albums wouldn’t have been nearly as popular and on Bad surly wouldn’t have been anything special. Vince lacked that MJ touch, simple. Felt soulless and Jerkins is a very underwhelming producer compared to Quincy and even Riley.
True

There was enough material made to make another album between Bad and Dangerous. Although I think just making Bad a double album would've been a good move. That was the original plan for it I believe. I get why they cut it down of course, quality over quantity always.

For the hell of it;

1. Streetwalker
2. Don't Be Messin' 'Round
3. I'm So Blue
4. Free
5. Price Of Fame
6. Fly Away
7. Loving You
8. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
9. Cheater
10. Chicago 1945
11. Scared Of The Moon

Not nearly as strong as the actual Bad album but the tracklisting would've been different had it been a double album anyways
That's a really strong record, when you consider that these are songs that didn't make the Bad Album. Mike was really in his creative peak at that point in his career

I always wish Mike would have made an album in 1999, his voice was so strong in 98

Does anyone have a full list of songs that were meant to be on Invincible for its 1999 planned release?

Honestly, if the trial hadn't happened, I'd have loved a new album around the mid-late 2000's. It actually kills me inside that we never got something like that. 😔 Alas... Life is cruel.

I think ‘love never felt so good’ and ‘hot street’ are the only songs that had the potential to be among the classic hits, had they been released in the early eighties. the rest could have perhaps been b sides.

it just confirms why I’m not a fan of albums in general. singles allow the artist more freedom to experiment with different sounds. they don’t have to cancel songs that don’t fit the flow of an album. they can also release more of them more consistently, without waiting years in between.

singles are also cheaper for the consumer, and they know what they’re getting when they purchase them. most likely, they’ve already heard them on the radio. they also don’t have to worry about skipping songs.

besides, michael already had the ‘victory’ album and tour, Motown had released ‘farewell my summer love’, ‘somebody’s watching me’ was another hit that still gets played today, ‘we are the world’ was an event’, then of course there was ‘captain eo’.

thriller’ was still in the charts, and being nominated for awards two years after its record breaking Grammy win. nothing could compete with it..

Back