Favourite Michael haircut (Era/Year)

mj14.jpg
sweatyprofile.jpg

This Is It, lol.

Incredible 😍

For me Mike looked his coolest in the Bad era, that hairstyle seemed to suit him. He looked happy and confident

When he slicked back for the Herb Ritts photoshoot in 1991 and In The Closet, my Mum used to say that's when she was most attracted to MJ, because he looked his most manly and assertive

tfg7ljl3djp51.jpg

I showed my girlfriend this pic of Mike, her reply was "**** Michael was hot, why didn't he wear his hair like that more"

For me Mike looked his coolest in the Bad era, that hairstyle seemed to suit him. He looked happy and confident
yesssss

When he slicked back for the Herb Ritts photoshoot in 1991 and In The Closet, my Mum used to say that's when she was most attracted to MJ, because he looked his most manly and assertive

tfg7ljl3djp51.jpg

I showed my girlfriend this pic of Mike, her reply was "**** Michael was hot, why didn't he wear his hair like that more"

I mean he DOES look hot like this. I LOVE this pic of him. But.... .

I will never understand thinking this (or any of his hairstyles) are hotter than the Bad era curls. The Bad era hair is overwhelmingly sexy. Along with everything else about him lol.

itchairandwall.jpg

One of my favorite hairstyles of his as well, the first time I saw his hair like that, let alone that video I was floored lol I love the sleek look he had with this style, very smooth 🥰

itchairandwall.jpg

One of my favorite hairstyles of his as well, the first time I saw his hair like that, let alone that video I was floored lol I love the sleek look he had with this style, very smooth 🥰
Ngl, this will never be my fave 'Michael' hairstyle. Plus the Herb Ritts influence on the styling is too strong for my liking.

BUT ... he looks hot as hell here and I'm always up for more ITC images. More is never enough, people!

I'm not sure I've seen this one before. It's gorgeous.

Good find, agent!

Ngl, this will never be my fave 'Michael' hairstyle. Plus the Herb Ritts influence on the styling is too strong for my liking.

BUT ... he looks hot as hell here and I'm always up for more ITC images. More is never enough, people!

I'm not sure I've seen this one before. It's gorgeous.

Good find, agent!
*bows* Thanks agent lol :ROFLMAO:

Either way ITC I absolutely love, but of course I have to have love for his curls lol ;)

topazshirtmj.jpg

This look is just gorgeously handsome, I love how he had his hair like this, just so chill and relaxed 🥰
oh, you had to go and do this, didn't you? I was just about to wrap up and try to get a bit more sleep and you do this.

I do think his early 90's hair is my fave. If I had to pick. I'd rather not but if I had to, yeah, this is what I'm going for. There are many, many reasons why I picked my siggy but his beautiful hair is one of them.

ROCK STAR!!!

And just SO beautiful. Ngl, I bought the Mike Smallcombe book just to get the cover photo.

oh, you had to go and do this, didn't you? I was just about to wrap up and try to get a bit more sleep and you do this.

I do think his early 90's hair is my fave. If I had to pick. I'd rather not but if I had to, yeah, this is what I'm going for. There are many, many reasons why I picked my siggy but his beautiful hair is one of them.

ROCK STAR!!!

And just SO beautiful. Ngl, I bought the Mike Smallcombe book just to get the cover photo.
I'm not sorry lol ;) but yes I love his early 90's hair styles as well, definitely this one too.

Yes!!!

Oh what's the book called? Now I'm curious lol 🤔

I'm not sorry lol ;) but yes I love his early 90's hair styles as well, definitely this one too.

Yes!!!

Oh what's the book called? Now I'm curious lol 🤔
Making Michael: inside the career of Michael Jackson.

Came out in 2016 but I only just bought it couple of years ago. I don't go in for biographies, autobiographies, memoirs generally. Just can't get that excited. But this one has a beautiful cover photo (b&w!!) and I am shallow so I caved in.

Michael's curls are awesome but ITC needs the love, as well. God, he just looks so hot and steamy and manly and ... ooh, YUM!!!

And, oh my, his legs ... 🥵
Yes!!!

So as much as I am a raving lunatic, fanatical to an almost unhealthy degree, and legally betrothed to Michael's Bad Era curls (specifically the little ones that fall across his forehead -- as if any living person who has ever met me can forget this)... as much as I am all those things...

I am always happy to see ALL hairstyles, eras, fashion, looks, etc. loved and appreciated! Michael was a GORGEOUS man. But he suffered so much with insecurity and went through hell with the world beating up on him for his looks (somehow???? what??? given that half the world were/are his fans and a large portion of those fans are women who lust for him, I'll never understand the disconnect between the media representation of his appearance and what fans have always known to be the truth of it, but I digress....) --

My point is that our sweet Michael went through so much. I find him beautiful at all stages of his life, but many of us have our favorite looks. So the more of us who love love love different styles, the happier I am. You all know I'm not a huge fan of the ITC hair, but I LOVE how much MM90 falls apart over it. It brings me such joy. I am not crazy about the Invincible era hair, but I actually see lots of fans on Twitter who find it super sexy. I LOVE his History era short curly hair at the MTV VMAs in 1995, but they aren't everyone's thing. I also loooooove his sexy OTW hair, and of course his Thriller hair, and his Captain EO hair, and....well I pretty much love his hair most of the time. BUT, my point is, I just feel very strongly that we are 1) lucky to have so many gorgeous, diverse looks from one gorgeous, diverse human being and 2) that we can show him all the love he ever deserved by gushing about all of his looks and not (legitimately) arguing over his appearance....

I don't know why I'm so heated about this right now lol. I guess I've just seen "fans" argue on many different platforms about his "best" and "worst" looks and I despise that. We aren't those kind of people! We love a friendly discussion (like this thread is intended for) but so long as we can all appreciate and love Michael and respect him always, I think we are doing a great job :)

^^ This could have been so much shorter but I'm overtired and incapable fo self editing, so there you go.

My point is that our sweet Michael went through so much.
Very preoccupied with this, atm.

I don't know why I'm so heated about this right now lol.
I don't know, either! You sound mad but I like that. Passion! Can't beat it.

I guess I've just seen "fans" argue on many different platforms about his "best" and "worst" looks and I despise that.
I wish they wouldn't do that. Just don't do it, people.

We aren't those kind of people! We love a friendly discussion (like this thread is intended for) but so long as we can all appreciate and love Michael and respect him always, I think we are doing a great job :)
We do love a friendly discussion. It's so much more interesting when everyone keeps their cool, doesn't diss Michael and just focuses on his awesomeness.

^^ This could have been so much shorter but I'm overtired and incapable fo self editing, so there you go.
But it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun, lol.

Very preoccupied with this, atm.
oof I understand. Yesterday was a BAD day for me. personal stuff mixing with (sad) Michael stuff, mixed with seeing the Elvis movie, and it was all just a recipe for disaster. One thing that brings me comfort is to think about all of the energy of love in the world that was and continues to be directed his way. He had people who brought him down in different ways, but I think the people who love him in the deep, visceral way that I love him (and I'm sure others...don't want to speak for anyone though since visceral is definitely my word and may not apply to everyone lol) have such strong, passionate love for him that there is no way it just disappears into the universe. It must touch him somehow, even now. It's what I choose to believe at least.

I don't know, either! You sound mad but I like that. Passion! Can't beat it.
Mad as in angry, or as in crazy? I'll be honest, it's a little of both lol.

I wish they wouldn't do that. Just don't do it, people.
We do love a friendly discussion. It's so much more interesting when everyone keeps their cool, doesn't diss Michael and just focuses on his awesomeness.
Exactly. I have NO interest whatsoever in tearing Michael down. Especially not for something like his appearance, good God. Michael did not owe it to anyone, least of all us, to look a certain way. Of course we all wish he could have seen himself the way we do, but so often those comments are attached to criticisms of his appearance changing, instead of just genuine affection for him. The ultimate back-handed compliment...

I AM INDIGNANT TONIGHT!

Anyway, he didn't owe us a thing when it came to his appearance. AND YET...he gifted us with such tremendous style, beauty, sexiness....ugh... we are not worthy. At least I'm not. Maybe you are lol.

I have totally derailed this thread with my lunacy. Sorry, folks.

Making Michael: inside the career of Michael Jackson.

Came out in 2016 but I only just bought it couple of years ago. I don't go in for biographies, autobiographies, memoirs generally. Just can't get that excited. But this one has a beautiful cover photo (b&w!!) and I am shallow so I caved in.
Nothing wrong with that dear lol! I’m very intrigued about that now I just have to read it!

Nothing wrong with that dear lol! I’m very intrigued about that now I just have to read it!
Um, it's not great. I checked the reviews after I'd bought it. Very mixed. I thought it was OK. Read it once, haven't gone back to it. Started off OK, IIRC, and got more boring as it went on but I can't remember if that was because I was less and less keen on his writing style. I need to read it again cos I really can't remember much about it which is quite telling in itself.

The cover photo is beautiful. BOW era.

Last edited:
oof I understand. Yesterday was a BAD day for me. personal stuff mixing with (sad) Michael stuff, mixed with seeing the Elvis movie, and it was all just a recipe for disaster.
I'm so sorry to hear that, especially the personal stuff. Having a similar thing myself. Lots of RL sh#t to deal with which is just hammering me into the ground plus reading a book on slavery - which, of course, is my choice and it's brilliant and I'm so glad I'm reading it but, jeez, it's hard. Much harder than others I've read. And then, of course, Michael. Still reeling from the Curls / Girls stuff. And, again, I would say, I'm so glad I read all of that. Truly am and it was, of course, my choice. There's the Curls / shirt thread and then inside that there is a link to another thread with a longer version of the story. Wonderful but also devastating. So lots of stuff all mixed up. I think I'm gonna be in 'quiet - Michael - mode' for a while yet.

Re the Elvis film, did you see many parallels with Michael's life? Or was it other stuff in the story that made the film add to your difficult day? No need to answer any of this, of course. Not meaning to pry. Just interested as I never bothered to find out much about Elvis but, reading about this film, I think I can see a few overlaps between him and Michael.

One thing that brings me comfort is to think about all of the energy of love in the world that was and continues to be directed his way. He had people who brought him down in different ways, but I think the people who love him in the deep, visceral way that I love him (and I'm sure others...don't want to speak for anyone though since visceral is definitely my word and may not apply to everyone lol) have such strong, passionate love for him that there is no way it just disappears into the universe. It must touch him somehow, even now. It's what I choose to believe at least.
I'm feeling this much more strongly than I ever have before.

Mad as in angry, or as in crazy? I'll be honest, it's a little of both lol.
Yes, a bit of both. And maybe I was projecting, just a little bit, as well.

Exactly. I have NO interest whatsoever in tearing Michael down. Especially not for something like his appearance, good God. Michael did not owe it to anyone, least of all us, to look a certain way. Of course we all wish he could have seen himself the way we do, but so often those comments are attached to criticisms of his appearance changing, instead of just genuine affection for him. The ultimate back-handed compliment...
Preach, sister!

I AM INDIGNANT TONIGHT!
You are. And it's good to see. We should all be indignant on Michael's behalf. That this nonsense continues to this day beggars belief.

Anyway, he didn't owe us a thing when it came to his appearance.
This. 1000%

AND YET...he gifted us with such tremendous style, beauty, sexiness....ugh... we are not worthy. At least I'm not. Maybe you are lol.
SO many gifts that he gave to the world. Just so much. It's like a fairy tale where the treasure chest is opened up and so many beautiful, sparkling, precious gems and treasures just spill out. Like the chest wasn't big enough to hold all the wondrous treasures locked up inside it.

iyswim, lol.

I have totally derailed this thread with my lunacy. Sorry, folks.
Love it. I love a bit of sw23 derailment. :D

I'm so sorry to hear that, especially the personal stuff. Having a similar thing myself. Lots of RL sh#t to deal with which is just hammering me into the ground

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I hope you're ok and it's not anything major.

Re the Elvis film, did you see many parallels with Michael's life? Or was it other stuff in the story that made the film add to your difficult day? No need to answer any of this, of course. Not meaning to pry. Just interested as I never bothered to find out much about Elvis but, reading about this film, I think I can see a few overlaps between him and Michael.

Yes, there are some definite parallels. Some graphic ones that are haunting me even two days later (graphic isn't really the right word -- there's just a particular scene that was so distressing to me and reminded me so much of Michael that....I can't even go there, sorry). But they were also fundamentally such different people and performers (I would be remiss to call them both artists, tbh, when I feel only Michael was). it was just a sad, sad movie. Years ago I visited Graceland and Sun Records so I learned about that part of his career and I loved his early music. I knew nothing about Elvis beyond the 1950s before this movie and then how he died.

Seeing this movie I learned A LOT, but the main thing is that Elvis was essentially a product, packaged and sold by other people. He had very little control over anything in his life. He was a dynamic performer, I suppose, and had a great voice, but everything else about him was manufactured. He wasn't like Michael, at all, who had such control of his music, his artistry, his image, and who had such a vision for who he was and what he wanted to create. Elvis basically just did what he had to, mostly pushed around, used, and abused by his manager. And honestly, even the parts of Elvis I loved before it, including his 1950s music, I didn't realize how directly it was taken from Black artists. I mean, I knew that of course, but I didn't process how ridiculous it was until it was all laid out in front of me. The movie certainly doesn't present it as if Elvis "stole" in a malicious way (he apparently grew up in a Black neighborhood and he was genuinely influenced by the music in a real way) but it doesn't shy away from basically saying that the main reason he was more successful than the Black artists around him was because he was white. I mean, that is almost directly stated a couple times. In fact, there was a scene of him seeing Little Richard perform, and honest to God, it stole the movie for me lol. Part of me thinks it was meant to. A couple other thoughts:

1) For anyone to compare Michael and Elvis is insane and for those who say that there would be no Michael without Elvis is so incredibly offensive to the Black artists that influenced both of them. I understand why Michael was always so clear about saying Elvis wasn't an influence. To even suggest it...it actually infuriates me now lol.
2) So many parallels, especially with the "vampires" around him. Michael's story will always be far more sad to me, but Elvis' is pretty devastating too. It also reminded me a lot of Britney Spears and her conservatorship in some ways. It sent me into a tailspin of thinking about how horrible the world is, how evil people are, and how they will destroy the beautiful, sensitive, and talented among us for money. I can't stand it.
3) Poor Lisa Marie Presley. I can't even imagine being so intimately connected to both of these men. I can't even fathom how triggering her relationship with Michael was and his death. I ache for her.

Sorry, I have already gone on about this far longer than I should have...

You are. And it's good to see. We should all be indignant on Michael's behalf. That this nonsense continues to this day beggars belief.
I am ALWAYS indignant on Michael's behalf.

Yesterday I was in a bookstore and, because I have Michael radar, I heard this middle-aged employee talking to a teenage/early 20s employee. They were sorting used books. All I heard was the older woman saying "I remember when he died and it was a really big deal in music, but I just thought he was creepy and weird." The younger employee then said, "well, he had a really sad life" and then the conversation ended. I knew instantly it was about Michael, which bothered me so much. So I purposely checked out when the woman was gone and it was just the boy. This was like 20 minutes later. And I asked him what musician they were talking about. He seemed totally taken aback because, like I said, 20 minutes later lol. Then he was like, "Oh, Michael Jackson." And I said, all brightly, "Oh! I love Michael Jackson!" loud enough for an entire continent to hear. And the kid sort of taken aback was like, "oh...well it was a book written by a different Michael Jackson, something about making martinis. I was just making a joke before... " And i was like "oh, that's too bad" and we just stared at each other, and I saw the woman look up at us from across the store lol.

Anyway, that story is irrelevant. I just include it to say that I hate when people talk shit about Michael, especially when they don't know him. I don't know him either, but let's pretend, ok? lol

SO many gifts that he gave to the world. Just so much. It's like a fairy tale where the treasure chest is opened up and so many beautiful, sparkling, precious gems and treasures just spill out. Like the chest wasn't big enough to hold all the wondrous treasures locked up inside it.
LOVE THIS so much!! So many gifts. An unbelievable amount of gifts. We are so lucky.

Love it. I love a bit of sw23 derailment. :D

I'm glad, because I just gave you a boat load!

Seeing this movie I learned A LOT, but the main thing is that Elvis was essentially a product, packaged and sold by other people. He had very little control over anything in his life. He was a dynamic performer, I suppose, and had a great voice, but everything else about him was manufactured. He wasn't like Michael, at all, who had such control of his music, his artistry, his image, and who had such a vision for who he was and what he wanted to create. Elvis basically just did what he had to, mostly pushed around, used, and abused by his manager.
Yeah, I know all of this part of his story. I know as much as I want to. Too much, actually. It's a depressing story but so many stories from the music industry are hideous. It's a hard, cruel industry. I hate it. I sometimes wish I wasn't so into music. Like, why couldn't I be into embroidery? Or collecting postcards. Or souvenir tea towels? It would make life so much easier. The manager was a real Machiavelli but that's why it's so interesting that Lurhman decided to do the film from Parker's point of view. Even the baddie is never one dimensional so that was a clever move. But, yeah, Elvis's story is a real Hollywood Babylon thing. Just horrible.

And honestly, even the parts of Elvis I loved before it, including his 1950s music, I didn't realize how directly it was taken from Black artists.
Yeah. It's a painful part of the story.

I mean, I knew that of course, but I didn't process how ridiculous it was until it was all laid out in front of me. The movie certainly doesn't present it as if Elvis "stole" in a malicious way (he apparently grew up in a Black neighborhood and he was genuinely influenced by the music in a real way) but it doesn't shy away from basically saying that the main reason he was more successful than the Black artists around him was because he was white. I mean, that is almost directly stated a couple times. In fact, there was a scene of him seeing Little Richard perform, and honest to God, it stole the movie for me lol. Part of me thinks it was meant to.
There are so many layers to this and I don't wanna get into it but it certainly is a really difficult story.

A couple other thoughts:

1) For anyone to compare Michael and Elvis is insane and for those who say that there would be no Michael without Elvis is so incredibly offensive to the Black artists that influenced both of them.
Thank you for saying this. Hardly anyone ever does, ime. I can't even begin to understand what people mean when they say it. I mean, I do, obvs. But I also really, really don't.

I understand why Michael was always so clear about saying Elvis wasn't an influence. To even suggest it...it actually infuriates me now lol.
Exactly. I always loved Michael for this. As if I needed any more reasons to love him! He WAS very clear. And it's not about diminishing Elvis and his contribution to popular culture. It's about claiming your own story and standing firm. And not letting other people dictate the terms of how you tell your own story.

Just to be clear, I'm not sure I totally buy Michael's insistence that he hadn't heard Heartbreak Hotel before he wrote TPH / HH. I'm not sure how he could avoid hearing it. But I totally buy his claim that Elvis wasn't an influence, generally. Why would he be? Michael had more than enough important influences in his life.

2) So many parallels, especially with the "vampires" around him. Michael's story will always be far more sad to me, but Elvis' is pretty devastating too. It also reminded me a lot of Britney Spears and her conservatorship in some ways. It sent me into a tailspin of thinking about how horrible the world is, how evil people are, and how they will destroy the beautiful, sensitive, and talented among us for money. I can't stand it.
Like I said, the music industry is just horrible. Britney's story also has overlaps with Elvis and Michael. I agree totally.

3) Poor Lisa Marie Presley. I can't even imagine being so intimately connected to both of these men. I can't even fathom how triggering her relationship with Michael was and his death. I ache for her.
Yeah, it can't be easy for her. It's a shame they couldn't make it work. Almost more than anyone I could think of she is the one person who would understand so many of the layers of Michael's life. It was not meant to be but it's so sad.

Anyway, that story is irrelevant. I just include it to say that I hate when people talk shit about Michael, especially when they don't know him. I don't know him either, but let's pretend, ok? lol
Oh, we can do that, lol.

mjhairstylesanime.jpg

I came across this on Pinterest and thought this was too adorable lol, had to post this here.

THE NECKLACE!!

Also, whatever he is doing with his mouth...

Also, the curls falling across his face (and the little shorter ones dancing around above his head -- underrated and not discussed near enough)......

Also, how sexy he looks taking off his jacket...

Also, how soft the material looks and how sexy it looks on him...

Also, the white tee shirt underneath...

Also, his neck...

Also, what thread is this?!

THE NECKLACE!!

Also, whatever he is doing with his mouth...

Also, the curls falling across his face (and the little shorter ones dancing around above his head -- underrated and not discussed near enough)......

Also, how sexy he looks taking off his jacket...

Also, how soft the material looks and how sexy it looks on him...

Also, the white tee shirt underneath...

Also, his neck...

Also, what thread is this?!
I had a terrible moment, earlier today, when this photo popped into my head and I couldn't remember exactly what I had written cos the photo just destroyed my brain. And I had a horrible few seconds where I thought I might have done a Manhood comment rather than a more well-behaved one, lol.

Anyway, your list here is awesome and pretty much exactly describes the start of my thoughts about this photo ...

Back