Feb 20 - 22 {Update on post #22 for Feb 21,2009}

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...yana-collection-goes-up-for-bid-in-april.aspx

Here is a really nice article I came across about the auction. I believe it is a Disney collectors website and it is well worth reading.

Monday Mouse Watch : Michael Jackson’s Disneyana collection goes up for bid in April

Thanks to the nice folks at Julien’s Auctions, JHM showcases some of the Disney-related items that will be offered in the “King of Pop: a Once in a Lifetime Auction”
“There's probably no greater connoisseur of Disneyana than Michael Jackson … “
-- Chris Willman, senior music writer for Entertainment Weekly
Over the past 25 years, whenever some rare Disney cel would sell at auction for a ridiculously high price and/or an anonymous phone bidder would agree to pay this huge sum for some curio from the Parks, other interested buyers in the room would just sigh in resignation and then say: “That’s gotta be Michael Jackson.”
Indeed, there are those who still insist that the real reason that Disneyana became such a big money business in the late 1980s / early 1990s was because Jackson would get into these bidding wars with Hollywood’s other deep-pocketed Disney obsessive, Steven Spielberg. That it’s these two and their extremely competitive natures that eventually drove the price of cels straight through the ceiling.
Neverland-Train-Station-web.jpg

But still – given the many pieces that Michael was allegedly to have snatched up over the years – his Disneyana collection became the stuff of legend. Which is why many collectibles fans dreamed of someday visiting Jackson’s Neverland Ranch. Not to ride the rides and/or hang out with Bubbles the chimp. But – rather – see all of the Disney-related treasures that were said to be scattered about around the grounds.
Well, if that’s something you’ve always wanted to do (i.e. visit Neverland Ranch), you no longer need to drive all the way out to Santa Barbara County. Neverland Ranch is coming to you ..
Neverland-Auction-Cover-web.jpg

Copyright 2009 Julien's Auctions. All Rights Reserved

… in the form of a once-in-a-lifetime auction. Which will be held in Beverly Hills April 22nd – 25th.
This is the actual personal property of the King of Pop that’s coming up for bid. And as you might expect, this means that there are some simply amazing pieces of Disneyana that will soon be going up for auction.
Okay. So there’s the stuff that virtually every Mouse fan already has. Like Michael’s own pile of Disney reference books.
Jackson-auction-book-pile-w.jpg

Copyright 2009 Julien’s Auctions. All Rights Reserved
But how many of us can say that we own a bust of Walt Disney?
mj-walt-disney-bust-web.jpg

Or – for that matter – a full-sized diorama of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? Which was presented to Michael Jackson by the cast of Walt Disney World?
mj-snowwhite-web.jpg

Copyright 2009 Julien’s Auctions. All Right Reserved
That’s the really fascinating aspect of much of the Disneyana that’s up for bid here. Not that it’s just rare stuff (EX: This Peter-Pan-catching-his-shadow figure which used to decorate the interior of some Disney Store).
mj-peterpan-sshadow-web.jpg

We’re talking about one-of-a-kind custom pieces that Disney artists created just for Michael Jackson. Check out this Peter Pan installation that was specifically designed to fit into the ceiling space at the King of Pop’s home.
mj-peterpan-installation-we.jpg

Note that Peter Pan and Tinkerbell are actually electrocuting Captain Hook here. Given that electricity didn’t factor into the original J.M. Barrie story or the 1953 Disney film … Well, that’s kind of a departure, don’t you think?
mj-cptn-hook-web.jpg

But you have to understand that many of these pieces were created during the “Captain EO” era. When the Walt Disney Company regularly went out of its way to try & make Michael happy.
I mean, take a gander at this Pinocchio
ir
animated diorama (Which – as the little plaque at the top of the case will tell you – was “Created Personally for Michael Jackson”).
mj-pinocchio-diorama-web.jpg

Never mind about your hidden Mickeys. If you look closely in Geppetto’s workshop, you can actually spy a hidden Michael !
mj-pinocchio-michael-lights.jpg

This was during the age when Disney couldn’t (or wouldn’t) say no to Jackson. So if Michael wanted a set of Geppetto & Pinocchio heads for the walkaround characters that appeared in the Parks …
mj-pinocchio-masks-web.JPG

… that’s exactly what he got.
And now – thanks to the nice folks at Julien’s Auctions – you too now have a shot at owning these one-of-a-kind collectibles. But as the Fairy Godmother once told Cinderella
ir

mj-cinderella-diarama-web.jpg

But like all dreams ... Well, I'm afraid that this can't last forever. “
The exhibition of all the items that will be up for bid in the “King of Pop: a Once in a Lifetime Auction” will be held April 14 – 21 at 9900 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills, CA (which is directly adjacent to the Beverly Hilton. Which -- FYI -- begins offering special Neverland auction packages starting on the 14th).
As for the auction itself … That will be held April 22 -25th at the same location. With the Disneyana items slated to come up for bid on Friday, April 24th.
Please note that there will be a $20 per person charge for the exhibition and auction. But a portion of the proceeds will be donated to MusiCares®.
9900-Wilshire-Boulevard-web.jpg

The former Robinson’s Department Store where the “King of Pop:
a Once in a Lifetime Auction” will be held in April
Mind you, if you can’t actually make it out to Beverly Hills over those dates but still want to take part in the “King of Pop: a Once in a Lifetime Auction,” Auction Network will broadcast live streaming video of this event and will provide its viewers with real-time opportunities to bid.
Or if you just think that you’re never ever going to have a chance of owning any of Michael Jackson’s Disneyana collection, you can always commemorate this event by picking up the five volume color catalog for the “King of Pop: a Once in a Lifetime Auction.” Which comes in two varieties:
Michael-J-catalog-set-web.jpg

The $100 version (which features images of the more than 2,000 items of furniture, memorabilia, arcade games, and garden statuary that are up for bid) or the $500 limited edition version (i.e. There will only be 500 of these boxed sets which will then be personally signed & numbered by Michael Jackson).
So, okay. So you never actually made it to Neverland (which has recently been renamed Sycamore Valley Ranch). You can still get a hint of what it was by attending the “King of Pop: a Once in a Lifetime Auction” next month in Beverly Hills.
mj-catalog-cover-castle-web.jpg

For further information about the “King of Pop: a Once in a Lifetime Auction” and/or to check many of the items that will be up for bid, please head on over to the Julien’s Auctions website.

I particularly liked the part about Geppetto's workshop having Michael in it. There's lots of interesting tidbits in here like his bidding wars with Steven Spielberg. haha made me laugh. Sounds like he had some fun getting this stuff.

“We originally planned to display his belongings for a week in London and a week in Ireland, but we decided that his fans are committed enough to travel to Ireland, where there is a purpose-built museum that we’ve used before to exhibit pop memorabilia,” Nolan said.

WRONG.
Count me out.

I was really looking forward to going to London to see this stuff, but I just can’t justify the time, money or effort to go to Ireland to see it. I’m really annoyed about it!!
London would have been a much more sensible place IMO, not just because I could go, but also because it would be easier for others outside the UK to visit.

but we decided that his fans are committed enough to travel to Ireland, where there is a purpose-built museum that we’ve used before to exhibit pop memorabilia,” Nolan said.
not really. i presume its more about saving them money. tbh why would you wanna see stuff that mj doesnt even want anyway, ok some of the famous jackets from tours but tbh i dont really care about seeing a disney toy just cause mj once owned it lol seeing pictures is good enough

Back