For All Time is MJ’s best ballad.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
There. I said it. I don’t care anymore, FOR ALL TIME IS MJ’S BEST BALLAD. Y’all can come at me I’m ready!

No but seriously, it has always been one of my favorite favorite songs but today it hit different. I was on my way home, walking through a field that was covered with snow here in Stockholm (I’m from Sweden) and For All Time was randomly selected in my playlist. It’s so hard to describe the feeling I got. It was like time slowed down. I didn’t mind the cold and this may sound cliche but it made me warm. Then came the bridge: “On these quiet days, where souls embrace so silently.. the rain may wash away.. all these words that young lover say” The beauty of those words just had this enormous effect on me. This song has travelled with me as long as I can remember. It made me think about my youth and long lost love and just the beauty of love in its purest form. Not gonna lie it sorta had me choke up haha. Such a great, simple song. It’s my favorite ballad and on the list of favorite songs ever.

Last edited:
I only actually properly listened to Scared of The Moon late last year and fell in love with it. I can see why MJ wanted to finish it.
I’ve always wondered how one goes about finished scared of the moon. Imo it’s perfect the way it is. Sure, there could be additional strings added and what not but I love the simplicity of the song. What do you think?

I’ve always wondered how one goes about finished scared of the moon. Imo it’s perfect the way it is. Sure, there could be additional strings added and what not but I love the simplicity of the song. What do you think?

No I agree it sounds pretty finished as is. Maybe he had some ideas to change stuff or something.

There. I said it. I don’t care anymore, FOR ALL TIME IS MJ’S BEST BALLAD. Y’all can come at me I’m ready!

No but seriously, it has always been one of my favorite favorite songs but today it hit different. I was on my way home, walking through a field that was covered with snow here in Stockholm (I’m from Sweden) and For All Time was ta so l’y selected in my playlist. It’s so hard to describe the feeling I got. It was like time slowed down. I didn’t mind the cold and this may sound cliche but it made me warm. Then came the bridge: “On these quiet days, where souls embrace so silently.. the rain may wash away.. all these words that young lover say” The beauty of those words just had this enormous effect on me. This song has travelled with me as long as I can remember. It made me think about my youth and long lost love and just the beauty of love in is purest form. Not gonna lie it sorta had me choke up haha. Such a great, simple song. It’s my favorite ballad and on the list of favorite songs ever.
Love posts like this because I experience it a lot myself.
Music has this effect on the right circumstances, for me music is often better when experienced at some place else than in the comfort of my own home, for example during a bus drive.
The problem is this feeling will never get replicated, it was a one time experience and sometimes it is disappointing that that magical feeling can't be reproduced. It all depends on the time of day, the circumstance, your own state of mind at that time, the place, there are so many variables that can make it bigger, better or more intimate than at home.

I love most of his ballads very much, for me MJ is a balladeer first and then a dancer. My favorite ballads are someone in the dark and one day in your life.

I relate to this so much lmao, when you're not very keen on a song but one day the song clicks with you all of a sudden. Speechless and Don't Be Messin' 'Round had this effect on me.
I was like this with most of the Bad album. And Black or White.

I've always felt like the melody could go in a wholly different direction actually. Like it feels like something he could add greater harmonies too, and change a chord here and there to really strengthen the impact. Probably would make it more like Who Do You Know or Someone in the Dark. But it would sound good and pristine is key.

I've always felt like the melody could go in a wholly different direction actually. Like it feels like something he could add greater harmonies too, and change a chord here and there to really strengthen the impact. Probably would make it more like Who Do You Know or Someone in the Dark. But it would sound good and pristine is key.
You're talking about "scared of the moon" right? I love the song the way it is, very haunting and intimate. I like that his voice is on the forefront like it is with a lot of ballads. He sounds so sharp and bright and the chorus gives me goosebumps.
That said I feel the song would have been great with a second voice like Simon & Garfunkel's Scarborough Fair.

No but seriously, it has always been one of my favorite favorite songs but today it hit different. I was on my way home, walking through a field that was covered with snow here in Stockholm (I’m from Sweden) and For All Time was ta so l’y selected in my playlist. It’s so hard to describe the feeling I got. It was like time slowed down. I didn’t mind the cold and this may sound cliche but it made me warm. Then came the bridge: “On these quiet days, where souls embrace so silently.. the rain may wash away.. all these words that young lover say” The beauty of those words just had this enormous effect on me. This song has travelled with me as long as I can remember. It made me think about my youth and long lost love and just the beauty of love in is purest form. Not gonna lie it sorta had me choke up haha. Such a great, simple song. It’s my favorite ballad and on the list of favorite songs ever.
I get the very same feeling every time i listen to that song. It’s beautiful.

I saw this thread title and I knew it would be you my friend 😅

You're right, it is so soulful. Those adlibs at the end of precious and the chorus is just so memorable.

Like AlwaysThere said I see why it didn't make Dangerous, but it's a gorgeous song. Easily top 5 ballads for me

Imagine if this had been left in the vault and then came out (as it is) as the first posthumous single, it would have been massive everywhere.

Sometimes i find with MJ 's ballads they sound much better live. For example I did not like She's Out of My Life on the album but live is
simply incredible. I saw him live in Glasgow in 1992 as a 10 year old and I can remember it well. Incredible vocals and VERY loud. Though my favourite ballad is IJCLY .

You're talking about "scared of the moon" right? I love the song the way it is, very haunting and intimate. I like that his voice is on the forefront like it is with a lot of ballads. He sounds so sharp and bright and the chorus gives me goosebumps.
That said I feel the song would have been great with a second voice like Simon & Garfunkel's Scarborough Fair.
Yeah, it is great, verse and production wise.

I just hear a potential chorus change. Maybe the chorus could become a pre-chorus even. The hook could end up something more iconic.

It is a gorgeous song. Every time I listen to it, I get nostalgic and go back in time. It gives me Human Nature vibes. The best part about the song is the bridge section. Absolutely gorgeous. ❤️

It is a gorgeous song. Every time I listen to it, I get nostalgic and go back in time. It gives me Human Nature vibes. The best part about the song is the bridge section. Absolutely gorgeous. ❤️
Someone once described this song as a night time version for human nature (or a day time version can’t quite remember) and I thought that was an apt description.

Dreams Away
Human Nature
For All Time.

Wow. pocarro and MJ really did create some of his best work.

I think it would be a great idea to have For All Time as part of the Michael biopic. It is a widely unknown song to the general public and absolutely one of his very best ballads. I can see it playing at the end of the movie as the credits roll.

You could even title the movie 'MICHAEL: For All Time'.

Back