For the (straight) guys among us (but if anybody feels like joining in, feel free because I also have a general question)

filmandmusic

Proud Member
As I have learned here since joining, there are quite a bit of women/girls swooning over all body parts of Michael, emphasizing how beautiful minor things like his eyebrows among other things are. I have been surprised about this, I never even noticed most of these things before joining this site!
What do you like about Michael's looks? Do you think Michael is attractive?

Personally I think MJ's smile is what makes him attractive, it is very expressive and comforting and I completely understand people falling for Michael based on his smile. Something else I find attractive (as in understanding why people fall for it) is his overall behavior with other people. It feels very genuine and when he is enthusiastic he shines. Nothing beats enthusiastic people right?
And finally I always found his hairstyle fabulous, especially in the 80s, this is something I remember well from being a kid how much I loved his curls. I wanted curls myself but nature has gifted me the bowling ball look instead, thanks nature.
And then finally I always loved his clothing style. He looked so damn cool, eye popping and the thing is it only looks cool on him, not on me or you, ti is 100% Michael.

And now the general question.
What was the biggest reason for becoming a fan? Was it the music (voice, dancing, videos) or the looks (the whole deal, clothes, hairstyle etc)
I think this is an interesting question because like I said a few sentences earlier, I absolutely adored his looks ( in a non sexual way for me) when I was a kid

I feel the same way as you do about Michael's looks, ever since i was a kid i always thought his outfits, and hairstyles specially, looked so damn cool.
I always wanted curls too but i was blessed with extremely straight hair, so i've been sporting a simple side fringe for years because i don't think anything else would look good on me lol
As i grew up, i started to recognize more stuff about his appearence that made him really really attractive imo, like that precious smile. It made him glow.
I guess i really became a fan because my big sister was a fan too, she introduced me to MJ and, even though i originally didn't like him (the Thriller video scared me lol) with the passage of time i ended up loving his music more and more.

I have to agree with you too because his hair, clothing and his dance moves are really cool. But I do also like his smile I mean it is nice. (I don't know what to say haha)

He had a very nice smile, chiseled features, and big, drawing in eyes. Very handsome by many metrics, and in the 90s, he did have a very Johnny Depp quality about him.

Interesting post. As another straight male I can attest that for me it was the voice...those vocals. I became a big fan when I was around 10 in the early 90's and just listening to the vocals was enough for me. That is probably why I prefer him during the 70s and early 80s. It was more about the vocals and performing than it was the overall "show" that it became later. I liked his style back then also much better and I thought he attained his best "looks" by Motown 25. I always loved the dancing, especially during the 70s when it was much more flowy and smooth but it those vocals always surpassed everything else. This is probably why I obsesses over every single J5 song and session because I love studying the month to month change in his vocals from 72 through 74. It is just so fascinating to me hearing those tones during the years of change and all the material from those days that did not get released at the time. Every outtake that was eventually released from the 72-74 is just perfection to me. The way the vocals changed and got more mature by the early Epic years was also fascinating to me. My 2 favorite vocals demonstrate what I think are the peaks of each of his vocal eras: 1972's "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" that was cut right before the main change started just blows me away and then 1978's "Destiny" shows what I would say is the full mature example of what his voice became. He ran with it from there and worked on it but those years in between are my absolute favorite years vocally, dancing and looks wise. They were also the years they were less "famous" than they had been in the beginning and that he would be soon after.

Interesting post. As another straight male I can attest that for me it was the voice...those vocals. I became a big fan when I was around 10 in the early 90's and just listening to the vocals was enough for me. That is probably why I prefer him during the 70s and early 80s. It was more about the vocals and performing than it was the overall "show" that it became later. I liked his style back then also much better and I thought he attained his best "looks" by Motown 25. I always loved the dancing, especially during the 70s when it was much more flowy and smooth but it those vocals always surpassed everything else. This is probably why I obsesses over every single J5 song and session because I love studying the month to month change in his vocals from 72 through 74. It is just so fascinating to me hearing those tones during the years of change and all the material from those days that did not get released at the time. Every outtake that was eventually released from the 72-74 is just perfection to me. The way the vocals changed and got more mature by the early Epic years was also fascinating to me. My 2 favorite vocals demonstrate what I think are the peaks of each of his vocal eras: 1972's "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" that was cut right before the main change started just blows me away and then 1978's "Destiny" shows what I would say is the full mature example of what his voice became. He ran with it from there and worked on it but those years in between are my absolute favorite years vocally, dancing and looks wise. They were also the years they were less "famous" than they had been in the beginning and that he would be soon after.
Your reply is tons more interesting than anything I ever posted!

What do you think of his performance on “too young” one of my faves from the Motown era

He was good looking guy no doubt, it's a shame he wasn't more aware of it himself. He had a great smile

I think after the Dangerous era his looks appeared more feminine perhaps. It's weird but the shorter his hair, the more feminine Mike appeared as an adult, in YANA for example.

He probably looked his coolest in the Bad era and most masculine in the short film In The Closet.

The guys misunderstand my question. It is not how or when you exactly became a fan. The question was if you find him attractive and if yes what is it that makes him attractive!

Was it the music and dancing that made you a fan or was it the looks and fashion style?

Last edited:
The guys misunderstand my question. It is not how or when you exactly became a fan. The question was if you find him attractive and if yes what is it that makes him attractive!

Was it the music and dancing that made you a fan or was it the looks and fashion style?
They don't want to grapple with those things. Men don't admire men for "looks", we just think about how women want them all the time.

For me the music first... I was young... I could almost copy/paste the beginning of jaorecords' post (earlier in this thread).
I first had Dangerous, I didn't even know how he looked. Then I got some bootleg of the Dangerous Tour, then I got Bad... then Thriller and Off The Wall... and I had that moment asking "Wait... he's black now?". Just, because of the pictures in the Dangerous Tour bootleg and Bad, I had not understood that he was black. Exploring the rest of the early discography, his voice took even more importance than the music for me...

The dance and videos were cool but mostly just extra entertainment to me... For me the look is part of the whole package, he looked good most of the times... but I've never been attracted to men so I didn't pay much attention to precise details...
The other part that I feel was important on the long term was the whole image and personality he showed of himself, being at the same time talented, respectful, generous etc...

I always wondered what people thought about the very red, french braided BOTDF look :unsure:. If anyone had described that look to me, I would have rolled my eyes, but the look on Michael is just :love::love::love::love::love:🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

If remember well, a somewhat similar look existed in both Moonwalker video games (with a red hat, actually the Smooth Criminal look, but in red). So it didn't came as such a surpise... I'm not fan of that look... I guess I would prefer the the YRMW look but with long hair... Yet, better than the gold pants stuff.

Last edited:
Back