Frank Sinatra Appreciation thread

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
Frank Sinatra live at the Royal Festival Hall, London, 1962

You Make Me Feel So Young

2m 27s

'Host Frank Sinatra offers a statement before the Best Picture announcement at the 35th Academy Awards in 1963.'

Frank wins Best Supporting Actor in 1954 for his role in From Here To Eternity.

Sidenote - One of the main roles in From Here To Eternity was played by Montgomery Clift who starred opposite Elizabeth Taylor in Suddenly, Last Summer and A Place In The Sun.

Last edited:
Quote from Quincy Jones:

"Looking back on his friendship with Sinatra in 2001, Jones was fulsome in his praise of the man that gave him the nickname Q. ā€œFrank led me into a new world. A land of dreams, high livingā€¦ and making the music we both loved,ā€ he said."

@zinniabooklover

Now that this forum turned into a semi Frank Sinatra worshipping shrine. What songs would you recommend coming from the 50s or earlier? I reckon Iā€™m going into swing territory now. I also know only the very famous tunes from the 60s it seems.

@zinniabooklover

Now that this forum turned into a semi Frank Sinatra worshipping shrine.
I do think it's hilarious how your 'king of pop' thread is currently masquerading as 'Frank's Special Place'. :ROFLMAO:

What songs would you recommend coming from the 50s or earlier?
I'm no expert, mate. I listen to Andy Williams more than I do old Frank. Of that type of singer I don't like Matt Munro or Perry Como. I love Engelbert Humperdinck, Dean Martin and Andy Williams. Frank falls in between bc I didn't like his stuff from the mid-60's onwards but always loved him in films and some of his earlier stuff.

I'd have to think what songs I like apart from the ones I've posted here.

I reckon Iā€™m going into swing territory now.
Oh, that's unusual for you. I know you like heavy duty jazz, what I call 'proper' jazz.

I also know only the very famous tunes from the 60s it seems.
Definitely check out some early stuff. I'm gonna post another couple of songs - these are from films - see what you think. They are not 'swing' though.

Funnily enough, a couple of things I wanted to post today, I held back. Old Frank always has a cigarette in his hands. Different times! Doesn't bother me but it made me hesitate, lol. Chat shows, in the studio, always with a ciggie!

Last edited:
Frank Sinatra singing the title song from High Hopes. The kid is Eddie Hodges.

2m 34s

Last edited:
I Won't Dance - 1957

2m

@filmandmusic - this is pretty 'swingy'. I love it.

I would suggest try this one and also the 'in the studio' version of It Was A Very Good Year which I posted upthread. Start there and then just go through to YT and look at what comes up.

bb0bcd2aa602d0316e2be11004a6a048.jpg

Frank Sinatra: Through the Lens of Jazz - players, singers, critics and producers pay tribute to the Chairman

originally published in Jazz Times, 1998 - Bret Primack - updated MAY 1, 2020

Cross-posting.

Frank Sinatra in the studio recording Mack The Knife in 1984.

Quincy's got George Benson in his band. Also the Brecker Brothers. šŸ˜²

6m 16s

Frank Sinatra quoted in a book by Bill Zehme. 'The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin'
P.1

"A fella came up to me the other day with a nice story. He was in a bar somewhere and it was the quiet time of the night. Everybody's staring down at the sauce and one of my saloon songs comes on the jukebox. 'One For My Baby' or something like that. After a while, a drunk at the end of the bar looks up and says, jerking his thumb toward the jukebox, 'I wonder who he listens to?' ... "

Last edited:
Frank Sinatra quoted in a book by Bill Zehme. 'The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin'
P.222

'What is the secret to doing good work?'
Frank - "Never to accept anything without question. Never ignore an inner voice that tells you that something could be better, even when other people tell you it's okay."

@franksinatra

ā€œWhen a ballad is right, itā€™s like poetry set to music. One thing Iā€™ve always tried to reach for in my approach to a ballad, is a respect for the lyric.ā€
Frank Sinatra

GLNovGmWAAA_Qoh

Back