Funky J5

What is your favourite funky J5 song?

• Mama, I Got a Brand New Thing (Don’t Say No) [G.I.T.: Get It Together, 1973]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moving Violation [Moving Violation, 1975]

• Call of the Wild [Moving Violation, 1975]

• Pride and Joy [Joyful Jukebox Music, 1976]

• Total voters

Agonum

Moving Violation
Country
Sweden
You are free to select up to two out of this funky selection.

I voted for get it together (they held this in very high regard as it was played as late as on the Destiny tour) but especially “what you don’t know“ which imo is the first true glimpse of an adult MJ song. I love the vocals, background vocals, the interplay between them and it is so groovy in the 2nd half during the ad libs. I also love how it sounds like one of those funky 70s chinese kung fu movie soundtracks in the beginning. I hope he performed this live at least once, would have loved to see him dance to it. I even have it in my top 10 MJ tracks altogether!

out of the options available, I chose ‘dancing machine’, but I really prefer the version from the album of the same name. many label it disco, but the ongoing strut in the beat makes it distinctly funk. truthfully, I’m not a fan of the genre, but I appreciate how it was a turning point for Michael and his brothers. it was a more mature sound that would be the catalyst for songs from ‘destiny’ and ‘off the wall’. it also gave michael the platform to demonstrate his evolving dance moves.

honourable mention: ‘how funky is your chicken’. fun and funny at the same time 😆

Back