General Music Chatter Thread

Tony R

Proud Member
In real life you don't talk in threads, you just choose a topic & see where the conversation leads.

That's what this thread is for, so it's impossible to go off topic (as long as it's about music!).

So it doesn't matter what artist or genre, or whether it's about an album or gig.

Start a conversation and see what our musings & meanderings lead.....

I guess I should start with a few ideas..

First albums bought:
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing, Eurythmics - Be Yourself Tonight & Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

First CD:
Michael Jackson - Bad (really recommend it if you haven't heard it)

First gig:
Bad Tour - Roundhay Park, Leeds

Artists I wish I liked more but just can't:
David Bowie, Beatles (fully see the genius behind them but can't really get into more than a few songs)

Best era for music:
Early 90's. 1990-1995 gave me Dangerous, Madonna's Erotica, Alanis' Jagged Little Pill, Pulp - Different Class, B-52's Good Stuff (amazing album), Oasis - Definitely Maybe & Morning Glory, Janet Jackson's janet to name but a few

Most underrated album:
Daniel Merriweather's Love & War (2008) - stunning R&B, pop, soul album.

So, off we go....

First albums bought:
With my own money, Blood on the Dance Floor. I lost £5 that day when buying it. My mom gave me £5 then....

First CD:
Michael Jackson - Bad (although I got it the same day I got HIStory, Dangerous, Thriller, Off The Wall and The 12" Mixes on Christmas). My parents decided it was time to upgrade from the tapes.

First gig:
HIStory Tour, Dublin

Artists I wish I liked more but just can't:
Blur

Best era for music:
The 70's. Tail end of the Motown Greats, the likes of David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Queen, Led Zeppelin. Most of my favourite albums come from the 70's

Most underrated album:
Either Elton John's Captain Fantastic album, or Stevie Wonder's Hotter Than July.

^ We'll go for a beer & I'll educate you on Blur & you can do the same for Bowie.

Hotter Than July had a big place in our household at the beginning of the 1980's.

Really reminds me of my Dad.

Mainly because my Dad is black & blind.

What on earth happened to him? I just googled his name and saw that he never released anything after his debut album in 2009. I remember his song "Red" being very popular...

I don't know. He had a strange argument with Celine Dion after she wanted to use his duet with Adele as an album title (he was a bit twatty over it), but no new music.

I adore this album though. Check 'dis' out.

First vinyl was Off The Wall. I'd had Thriller and Bad both on tape cassettes. I'll never forget hearing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough for the first time. It blew my mind like some sort of drug. The mixture of childhood wonder and excitment in hearing OTW aswell as Thriller and Bad albums is something I've spent my life chasing. Hearing What's The Story Morning Glory was another life changing moment. Just the rawness coolness of the expression and the melodies were life affirming.

I think the excitment that Michael caused at his peak and the moment that Oasis hit and caused something of a mini revolution -at least in my life, but everyone got into "guitar" music- is the closest I have and ever will come to the 60's and what The Beatles did. Even The Spice Girls were great for pop, they had something that tapped into the imaginations of everyone although brief it must have been incredible for young girls everywhere and again I remember groups of girls forming girl bands in their backyards. All of that coming together has vanished now and with the internet everyone has 24 hour access to fan communities and following their favourite current latest. I think the mystery ended with the 90's.

Matty, I like your first album story being that it was the more obscure Danni album. It makes for a good story in that it's not something obvious.

^ We'll go for a beer & I'll educate you on Blur & you can do the same for Bowie.

Hotter Than July had a big place in our household at the beginning of the 1980's.

Really reminds me of my Dad.

Mainly because my Dad is black & blind.
I can Blowie your mind and you can leave me in a Blur.

If the last part of your isn't true, then I can say that I did laugh out loud.

If it is true, I can confirm that it's a lovely story....

Multiple choice

I can Blowie your mind and you can leave me in a Blur.

If the last part of your isn't true, then I can say that I did laugh out loud.

If it is true, I can confirm that it's a lovely story....

Multiple choice

I can confirm my dad is neither black nor blind.

As far as I know anyway.

Although I do have an afro and my sister is a short sighted lesbian, so you never know.

I appreciate being a lesbian has nothing to do with Stevie Wonder, but I like to get it in there.

Actually there is a Sir Duke joke in there which, if your mind is on the same level as mine, you may be able to get.

Am.... lesbians can feel it all oh-oohh-over? At what point does this become offensive, because I'm very conscious of the fact I don't know everyone here

Yeah well let's leave that there shall we.....

Anyone people are dying to see live before it's too late?

Happy to say I think I've seen my bucket list.

My Bucket List are a nu-metal band from Boston.

That's a joke, they're not.

Yeah well let's leave that there shall we.....

Anyone people are dying to see live before it's too late?

Happy to say I think I've seen my bucket list.

My Bucket List are a nu-metal band from Boston.

That's a joke, they're not.
Miss Ross is actually the only person I'm "dying" to see, but I'm dying to see a set with Supremes classics. There's genuinely no one else. I'm at the point where I'm currently looking forward to seeing 4 Jacksons in June.

Back