Give in to Me (Demo) is Amazing!!

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
Hi! I´m new and I hope this thread hasn´t already been done in the past. I listened to the demo of GITM a few weeks ago, and it´s amazing, I don´t know if it´s better than the original (which is amazing too) but the demo has some vocals that I don´t know why he didn´t used in the original.
Anyway, tell me what you think about it if you heard it.
Excuse me if I made any mistakes, I´m from Argentina :D

I like demo 2, but album version is much stronger! But demo is very good!!

MJInTheMirror;4104152 said:
Hi! I´m new and I hope this thread hasn´t already been done in the past. I listened to the demo of GITM a few weeks ago, and it´s amazing, I don´t know if it´s better than the original (which is amazing too) but the demo has some vocals that I don´t know why he didn´t used in the original.
Anyway, tell me what you think about it if you heard it.
Excuse me if I made any mistakes, I´m from Argentina :D

It is standard practice for demos to include additional vocals (improvisations, etc.), so, this specific demo could not have been an exception to the rule.

In more specific terms, I think the ‘Give in to me’ demo is unique in its own way. For example, MJ’s raw, passionate vocals stand out in an exceptional way & literally there is no way to ignore them. Also, the demo sounds (musically) very good even without Slash’s guitar performance &, in my opinion, this shows perfectly well how strong the melody is in the first place.

Furthermore, as you may know, there is a controversy that still exists regarding a specific verse, that is “love is a donut” (or “love is a donna”). Many theories have tried to explain the meaning of this line. For example, “love is a donut” probably refers to his father (Joe Jackson) who used to lay on the kitchen table donuts for his children, or because a donut resembles the heart’s shape, etc. In the case of “love is a donna” the explanation seems rather easier because ‘donna’ (probably) is used alternatively, instead of the words ‘lady’ or ‘woman’. Either way, I am not going to prove which explanation holds water because it is not rare for lyrics to have ambiguous meanings.

Finally, this specific demo is rumored to have been recorded in November (1990).

mj_frenzy;4104168 said:
Furthermore, as you may know, there is a controversy that still exists regarding a specific verse, that is “love is a donut” (or “love is a donna”). Many theories have tried to explain the meaning of this line. For example, “love is a donut” probably refers to his father (Joe Jackson) who used to lay on the kitchen table donuts for his children, or because a donut resembles the heart’s shape, etc.

Or perhaps not everything needs to be interpreted. For all we know, Michael might have had just a little fun with twisting the lyrics a bit. It's not like such childlike fun was far from his personality. I think people sometimes want to read too much into things.

Or perhaps not everything needs to be interpreted. For all we know, Michael might have had just a little fun with twisting the lyrics a bit. It's not like such childlike fun was far from his personality. I think people sometimes want to read too much into things.

Seriously. :doh:

I love the bridge. And the contrast of the darkness of the instrumentation with Michael's high pitched 'oohs' - think he made the right decision by going in the other direction though.

respect77;4104169 said:

I addressed the most prevalent explanations/theories regarding this matter.

But, in case someone asks about my opinion regarding this specific verse, then I would reply by saying that I do not believe at all that the word ‘donut’ is a reference to his father, & particularly to his father’s love. But, at the same time, I cannot forbid people to believe whatever they want to believe.

In my opinion & judging by the things that MJ revealed in the past regarding his father (for example, The Michael Jackson’s Tapes) it sounds quite illogical that MJ would have made a reference to his father, let alone a positive one.

On the other hand, MJ regarded his father as a shrewd manager/businessman & I tend to believe that MJ has gradually begun to look up to him (rather than to love him in the literal sense of the word).

But, as I have said, it is quite common for vocal improvisations to take a demo (or early) form for a number of reasons, &, personally to try to explain the meaning of each & every one of them would be meaningless (if not naïve).

Yes, or he just made up some words when the lyrics weren't finished yet. The Billie Jean demo comes to my mind :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8reGEben0g0

I love the bridge. And the contrast of the darkness of the instrumentation with Michael's high pitched 'oohs' - think he made the right decision by going in the other direction though.

Personally I would be glad if this demo gets an official release so as to have the both versions of the same song.

mj_frenzy;4104178 said:
Personally I would be glad if this demo gets an official release so as to have the both versions of the same song.

I agree, I hope it´s included in Dangerous 25, along with other demos and some unrealesed tracks.

I love this demo! I may have a theory on why he didn't use the Adlibs on the album version because for those that attended brads seminars and got the hear him create the song with Bill Bottrel, you could hear that he always intended to use those parts and it wasn't just spontaneous improv all the way. I think he had to choose between slash's guitar solo or him adlibbing or else it would have gotten to crowded. Too much.

Themidwestcowboy;4104254 said:
I love this demo! I may have a theory on why he didn't use the Adlibs on the album version because for those that attended brads seminars and got the hear him create the song with Bill Bottrel, you could hear that he always intended to use those parts and it wasn't just spontaneous improv all the way. I think he had to choose between slash's guitar solo or him adlibbing or else it would have gotten to crowded. Too much.

I think there was (also) a technical reason behind those vocal improvisations (ad libs).

MJ wanted to keep the rhythm (melody) of the song into his head (while recording) & this is also apparent on other demos (‘Jam’ for example).

Last edited:
The demo sure has phenomenal vocals !!

On Dangerous 25 they shoud release the demo.

I would love a demo from Heal The World too. - And maybe even a 3rd demo from Who Is It - some where you can hear MJ talk about the build up of the song, giving notes to how he wants the beat, melody, bridge etc. to be.

The creative proces would be intresting in many songs.

I think so too, not every single doggone thing or word in the universe needs to have some special meaning behind it. Things can be just random or simply out of fun.

I don't actually like to repeat stuff, but I will go ahead and re-post something I had put in the picture session some while back. It fits far too well in here :p

tumblr_ks79t9_Simm1qa26dno1_r1_500.gif

Hello everyone this is my first post in this new version of MJJCOMMUNITY, i use te be a member on the old one long long time ago LOL, i think the Give in to me DEMO sounds really different and that is one of the aspects than change our point of view too, the vocals are amazing and really really different from the album version, and i like the drum base more than the original one!!!

Whenever I think of the 'Give in to Me' demo I just think of 'Love is a doughnut' instantly! :D

tumblr_mymptqBcNY1sa8164o1_500.gif

Whenever I think of the 'Give in to Me' demo I just think of 'Love is a doughnut' instantly! :D

Same here :rofl: poor thang, he must've been awful hhhhh.....ungry when he recorded that one LOL. Freudian sleep of some sorts I guess.

And if Love is a doughnut, then Happiness is.........

tumblr_kzdhkgUJE31qad3aqo1_500.jpg

Food can definitely be a most sensual medium of exploring life and the delights of the world, one among many others..........:8-25-03angel_not:

Back