"Half" of Michael Jackson‘s publishing and recorded masters catalog?

Spidey

Proud Member
According to nearly every news source on this matter, Sony purchased "half of Michael Jackson‘s publishing and recorded masters catalog."

What does this mean, exactly? Did Sony purchase the masters from OTW, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous, but stop there? Or half the songs from each album? Or 50% of all the songs of MJ's full catalogue? Will there be a published full list of songs that were purchased? What about unreleased material?

If I had to guess, the 50% are basically all the major hit songs, which would mean most from OTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and some from History. Maybe 1-2 from Invincible?

I presume the Estate remains the owner of the remaining 50%.

I hope someone can provide more details on this agreement.

Its not about individual songs or albums, its a distribution of rights and profits of the whole catalogue
But that's not what the articles say. They say: Sony purchased half of Michael Jackson‘s publishing and recorded masters catalog. Not arguing with you. Just trying to understand.

According to nearly every news source on this matter, Sony purchased "half of Michael Jackson‘s publishing and recorded masters catalog."

What does this mean, exactly? Did Sony purchase the masters from OTW, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous, but stop there? Or half the songs from each album? Or 50% of all the songs of MJ's full catalogue? Will there be a published full list of songs that were purchased? What about unreleased material?

If I had to guess, the 50% are basically all the major hit songs, which would mean most from OTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and some from History. Maybe 1-2 from Invincible?

I presume the Estate remains the owner of the remaining 50%.

I hope someone can provide more details on this agreement.
They own 50 % of everything. If you take Billie Jean for example, 50 % of that song is owned by the estate, the other 50 % is owned by Sony. And that goes for all the songs. They don't flat out own a single song. They are partners with the estate. The same like MJ and Sony co-owned the Beatles and Sony songs. If one wants to do something with a song, they need the other's permission. Though in the initial report it said that the estate owns 51 % and Sony owns 49 %, which would make the estate the controlling entity. Not sure if that was wrong reporting or if they fail to correctly report that now.

They own 50 % of everything. If you take Billie Jean for example, 50 % of that song is owned by the estate, the other 50 % is owned by Sony. And that goes for all the songs. They don't flat out own a single song. They are partners with the estate. The same like MJ and Sony co-owned the Beatles and Sony songs. If one wants to do something with a song, they need the other's permission. Though in the initial report it said that the estate owns 51 % and Sony owns 49 %, which would make the estate the controlling entity. Not sure if that was wrong reporting or if they fail to correctly report that now.
Thank you. That's the explanation I was hoping for.

Back