Has the estate ever at one point asked us the fans what we would like?

I've been wondering about this, why did the community want a Wembley concert during that time?

Bad 25 may have sold abysmally but it made the original Bad album more relevant. Before the release of Bad 25, Bad had only spent 90 something weeks on Billboard 200. Now it has spent over 170 weeks. Since the release of Bad 25, Bad in the USA has gone from 8X platinum to 10X platinum (diamond) and according to Chartmasters, it has sold units of over 12 million, so it should be 12X platinum.

Ultimately, the purpose of an anniversary edition is to bring attention to the original album. Bad 25 may have sold poorly but it served its purpose, so you canÂ’t call it a failure, in my opinion.

Xscape album is an example of them taking fan feedback... After the Michael album BS, and the complaints they got, they definitely addressed their desire for contemporary sound while giving the fans the original untampered sounds which we advocated for ie. the two versions of each song on the album.

Bad 25 may have sold abysmally but it made the original Bad album more relevant. Before the release of Bad 25, Bad had only spent 90 something weeks on Billboard 200. Now it has spent over 170 weeks. Since the release of Bad 25, Bad in the USA has gone from 8X platinum to 10X platinum (diamond) and according to Chartmasters, it has sold units of over 12 million, so it should be 12X platinum.

Ultimately, the purpose of an anniversary edition is to bring attention to the original album. Bad 25 may have sold poorly but it served its purpose, so you canÂ’t call it a failure, in my opinion.

Whatever sales increases the Bad album may have had in the intervening years, I wouldn't attribute to the Bad 25 project. That project came and went with hardly anyone paying attention. The Estate certainly expected more than 47,000 copies of the album to sell in the first week, when Thriller 25 sold 165,000 copies in the same timeframe. I remember being surprised at the low sales, as I had assumed the MJ hardcore fanbase to be significantly bigger than that.

Whatever sales increases the Bad album may have had in the intervening years, I wouldn't attribute to the Bad 25 project. That project came and went with hardly anyone paying attention. The Estate certainly expected more than 47,000 copies of the album to sell in the first week, when Thriller 25 sold 165,000 copies in the same timeframe. I remember being surprised at the low sales, as I had assumed the MJ hardcore fanbase to be significantly bigger than that.

I'm not one of these fans, but there's a large tract of MJ fans who are philosophically not interested in posthumous projects, period; and then there's the sub-group who refuse to support Estate projects of any kind. I also think that even though the BAD era is a popular period in MJ's life with his hard core fan base, the BAD album is not the most favoured one, out of his entire body of work.

I've been wondering about this, why did the community want a Wembley concert during that time?

Just my personal opinion, but I think it's because of the involvement of Princess Diana in attending the Wembley concert, including the meet and greet beforehand. MJ was really ON that night, in his live performance. Huge crowd attendance at all of the Wembley concerts, breaking records, etc. also made for an energetic vibe.

Its weird that the sales weren't as big as we'd assumed. The HMV I went to only had one copy left lol.

Overtime, sales and streams of every album and song will increase but I believe that Bad 25 accelerated the sales and streams of the Bad album, at least for a few years.

Besides, a big reason for Bad 25 'failure' is because a lot of fans do not support the posthumous projects. The release of the 3 fake songs on the Michael album certainly played a big part in the reluctancy of many fans to show their support for the posthumous projects.

Currently watching the bad 25 documentary for 19th time lol. Gosh I would luuuuuurve to see more of the behind the scenes of Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth criminal, leave me alone etc (as they said it was shot in 35mm)shortfilms, studio sessions with Stevie Wonder, Siedah Garrett etc. They or the directors of the videos or people who own the studio sessions would be giving us a real treat if they share that, seems to be really good quality also. A woman can dream xx

Last edited:
Back