Heartbreak Hotel

Yeah, sure. Awesome song. 😲

Triumph tour, LA is good. Victory tour, Toronto, I love it. My fave is always BWT 1987. Tokyo (black shirt) is the one I listen to / watch the most.

Yeah, sure. Awesome song. 😲

Triumph tour, LA is good. Victory tour, Toronto, I love it. My fave is always BWT 1987. Tokyo (black shirt) is the one I listen to / watch the most.
Great choice!! vocally, I do think he's a bit sloppy singing it on the BAD tour but I don't care, the energy is too infectious!

Great choice!! vocally, I do think he's a bit sloppy singing it on the BAD tour but I don't care, the energy is too infectious!
That's exactly what I love about it. BWT 1987 energy is awesome. All the versions have their own special 'something'. Vocals are strong on Victory. Actually, his vocals are good on Triumph as well but overall the performance is slightly ... don't wanna say flat but it does not have the energy of later live versions. Musically, it lacks the 'bite' that the song needs, imo. But I still love it to bits. :)

I like the album version but love the live version! It's funny that he chose this Jacksons song though, instead of all the hits.. The same goes for 'Lovely One'; I guess he really loved them!

There's already several threads about Heatbreak Hotel, did you really have to make a new one?

I like the album version but love the live version! It's funny that he chose this Jacksons song though, instead of all the hits..
I love the fact that he didn't go for the obvious hits. It makes the setlist way more interesting, imo. Especially TPH / HH bc it has quite a hard edge to it - or sometimes it does!

The same goes for 'Lovely One'; I guess he really loved them!
I hope he had a blast performing them. :D

I like the song. Good choice to do live, even years later. I guess Michael liked that the most because he wrote it.
I always felt that song was in the same vein as Billie Jean and Who Is It. A little darker, I love it. Should have kept it for a solo album, would have fit beautifully on Bad or Thriller. Heartbreak Hotel instead of Just Good Friends would be great.

A big pet peeve of mine is when people call it This Place Hotel.

A big pet peeve of mine is when people call it This Place Hotel.
Tbf many years ago before I had even heard the song and in my early days of being an MJ fan I assumed this was a cover of the Elvis hit.

I do understand the reason behind the name change but still prefer HH

I’m not really a fan of the song to be honest, I love the piano outro though and live it is definitely more exciting

I see the song as a prototype for ‘billie jean’ & ‘thriller’, with with the latter two songs being improved replacements. it has great dramatic vocal performance, and an interesting composition with a steady beat. whilst the lyrics are descriptive in certain places, I don’t think the story is as fleshed out as it could have been. still, it’s a crucial part of michael’s growth as a writer. I can see why he continued to perform it live. it didn’t do too well on the charts for some reason.. I actually think it fit in with the theme of the album it was taken from, despite being essentially a solo song on a group album. if it had to appear on a solo album, I think it would have made a great closer for ‘off the wall’, to then transition into the darker edges of ‘thriller’.

Back