History behind Michael Jackson's arm brace

SpaceBargainer

Proud Member
I'm actually a metal music follower but I made an account to post this after watching a Loudwire interview with X Japan's drummer/pianist Yoshiki when he started talking about how he gave Michael his arm brace after Michael thought it was a fashion item. He also talks briefly about Michael recording in his Los Angeles studio or something.

From 7:45-8:45~ is where he talks about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAM_PkoQ2-0

If you guys already know about this story then never mind my post and sorry if it's in the wrong section!

I always just assumed it was the 'evolution' of his iconic single white glove :p

How old is this guy?
He must be about 49 or 50.
Lots of people were getting tendonitis around then because we started using PCs at work and had to wear arm braces. We didn't have ergonomic desks and chairs. I even had to wear one. Never saw a black one tho.

I thought the arm brace was the represent all the suffering children in the world. I think Michael said that as long as there's at least one suffering child in the world he'd continue to wear the arm brace.

^^i know he said that about his arm band on his jackets/shirts.

I had always assumed also the brace was like the glove.

I remember reading a story by Harrison Funk's son, where he hung out in Encino while his dad photographed Michael's glove collection, exclusively made by Bill Whitten.
All colors. You can see some of them in Moonwalker.

I saw the photographs in a tribute mag. Took up half the pages. :)

My understanding of the armband the way we know it as came from evolution of the glove like people say..

First the glove
Second the Bad gloves (longer with similarities to brace)
Come Dangerous the brace.

The white arm brace was not originally written into the Black Or White video.. If my memory serves me right, a crew member had a cast like arm brace on and Michael asked to use it.. If you notice in some clips he is wearing a cast like brace that did not fit him correctly.. (the crew members) and in later recorded clips (and promo work) he Is wearing the white brace that we learned to know.

That's the story I remember hearing anyway.. and I do notice in the video that sometimes the brace is too big on him

Back