History of MJ hand fingerless glove from Black Or White video

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
Does anybody know, where MJ white glove came from? And what does it mean? The friend of mine wear it as armlet accessory and some of his friends consider him weirdo... I just wonder does this glove mean smth bad...?
MJ-Michael-Jackson-collection-Black-White-BAD-Punk-Cotton-Adjustable-ArmBrace-Glove-Performance-Show-Party.jpg

Last edited:
I wear something similar for my Carpal tunnel syndrome :)
But its a good question where it came from! Probably Michael making just another fashion statement

I wear something similar for my Carpal tunnel syndrome :)
But its a good question where it came from! Probably Michael making just another fashion statement
black gloves from bad video? 😅

Like it's been said, he had a thing for armbraces (in Bad and Dirty Diana he wears them). But I do think that this particular one in BoW is more based on the medical armbrace than the others, and I believe it was the 90's version of the white glove, just extended to the arm to cover his vitiligo.

There is a picture that I considered funny as a kid, where MJ is visiting a school circa 87, 88 and one of the teachers is wearing an armbrace, and I always thought he asked her to give it to him.

maxresdefault.jpg

PA-7500341-669x1024.jpg

I don't recall if Michael Bush or his other designers have spoken about it (they have discussed the white glove and the finger tapes and the armband) but I don't recall if this particular item has been discussed.

Last edited:
John Landis: So, on Black Or White, one of the PAs had fallen off his bike and injured his arm and he was wearing one of those... I don't know what they're called, it's a band-aid, it laced up, it's like a gauntlet or something. Michael saw it and was like, "What's that?!", and the guy told him and he asks if he can have it and the guy says... Sure...? Michael came over to me and asks, "John, can I wear this?", and I looked at... why do you wanna? What? So I called my wife over and asked her, and she looked at me and she said, "Sure! Michael will wear it and they'll start wearing them as a fashion item," and they did! That was him, some of the weirdest things and they turned out well! (laughs)

😂 thanks for sharing this! I would have expected nothing less, Michael just seeing someone wear something for a total different purpose and decided to wear it on stage. I love it 🤩
Mine is more Velcro than lace, and it's black. I can't get a white one here :(.

It’s not exactly the same but Michael had than long hand brace thing before BoW and the dangerous Era. He wore a similar thing but in black on the bad video and performances and on Dirty Diana. I guess we could call it the precursor

In the BOW video, as mentioned above it started from a PA on set, now... If you pay close attention to the video you'll notice that there are scenes (Statue of Liberty) where the brace is not laced properly and looks lose on him and others where it's re-laced and tight.
R.e5216aef5296a19029152eac72d6fac9
R.9d87e63659d402f81c14ac2dc37cf068

^ The looseness is more apparent in the video when he raises his arm (an inch or two gap between the brace and forearm).

I always wondered if the scenes with the lose fit and quickly laced brace were day 1 filming ie. grabbing the persons brace, and just putting it on vs. proper laced on him on other days.

John Landis: So, on Black Or White, one of the PAs had fallen off his bike and injured his arm and he was wearing one of those... I don't know what they're called, it's a band-aid, it laced up, it's like a gauntlet or something. Michael saw it and was like, "What's that?!", and the guy told him and he asks if he can have it and the guy says... Sure...? Michael came over to me and asks, "John, can I wear this?", and I looked at... why do you wanna? What? So I called my wife over and asked her, and she looked at me and she said, "Sure! Michael will wear it and they'll start wearing them as a fashion item," and they did! That was him, some of the weirdest things and they turned out well! (laughs)
This is so charming and adorable. I just cannot with this man. 🥰 🥺

Back