History song appreciation thread

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I don't listen to this very ambitious and epic track often but that doesn't make it any less brilliant. You know how some artifacts have been flung into space for possible otherworldly beings to collect and study? Well this song should provide them with many interesting historical human tidbits to decipher and study. They would learn a lot of humanity, our ways and beliefs and character just from this 6 minute song.
The song itself, I mean how do you label it? It's got a hard thumping beat on the verses, an anthemic pre chorus and chorus which eventually erupts into a full choir only to end with a call and answer duet between Michael and a kid, before, in between and after we got tapes replaying historical events. It is wild and endlessly creative.

It shows how flawed we are as a species. We make all these great things happen that brings us forward but we can't shake hatred and prejudices when children, mothers and soldiers continue to cry. The lyrics Michael sings contradict all the great achievements we achieved during the centuries and yet we learned nothing. There is no living in harmony there is only the hunger for bigger and better achievements. I think the chorus " everyday create your history" probably refers to creating your own legacy in favor of mankind and humanity instead of bigger and better achievements.

I never heard anything like this before or since and Michael kinda butchered his own song by releasing an awful euro dance version as a single which unsurprisingly flopped. This song was never suited to be a single like so many other tracks on HIStory.

I wonder how much other or different interpretations other people have of this song. You could also simply see it as a motivational song "he got kicked in the back, he say that he needed that" and "No force of nature can break, your will to self motivate". It's a challenge for us to start caring for ourselves and others. It is emphasized in the beginning by Michael's own ancient quote " Whatever I sing, that's what I really mean, Like, I'm singing a song, I don't sing it if I don't mean it".

I think considering what he did for countless children and charity in his life he completely lived for what he stood for, this is not just a song with phony lyrics, these are lyrics written and sung with a conviction many of us could learn from. I mean with all the hardship he went through from the 90s onwards he never forgot what he stood for "Don't let no one get you down, Keep movin' on higher ground, Keep flying until, You are the king of the hill". He never lost faith in mankind despite being dumped into shit over and over again. He didn't buy the elephant man's bones, he bought his skin!

I don't listen to this very ambitious and epic track often but that doesn't make it any less brilliant. You know how some artifacts have been flung into space for possible otherworldly beings to collect and study? Well this song should provide them with many interesting historical human tidbits to decipher and study. They would learn a lot of humanity, our ways and beliefs and character just from this 6 minute song.
The song itself, I mean how do you label it? It's got a hard thumping beat on the verses, an anthemic pre chorus and chorus which eventually erupts into a full choir only to end with a call and answer duet between Michael and a kid, before, in between and after we got tapes replaying historical events. It is wild and endlessly creative.

It shows how flawed we are as a species. We make all these great things happen that brings us forward but we can't shake hatred and prejudices when children, mothers and soldiers continue to cry. The lyrics Michael sings contradict all the great achievements we achieved during the centuries and yet we learned nothing. There is no living in harmony there is only the hunger for bigger and better achievements. I think the chorus " everyday create your history" probably refers to creating your own legacy in favor of mankind and humanity instead of bigger and better achievements.

I never heard anything like this before or since and Michael kinda butchered his own song by releasing an awful euro dance version as a single which unsurprisingly flopped. This song was never suited to be a single like so many other tracks on HIStory.

I wonder how much other or different interpretations other people have of this song. You could also simply see it as a motivational song "he got kicked in the back, he say that he needed that" and "No force of nature can break, your will to self motivate". It's a challenge for us to start caring for ourselves and others. It is emphasized in the beginning by Michael's own ancient quote " Whatever I sing, that's what I really mean, Like, I'm singing a song, I don't sing it if I don't mean it".

I think considering what he did for countless children and charity in his life he completely lived for what he stood for, this is not just a song with phony lyrics, these are lyrics written and sung with a conviction many of us could learn from. I mean with all the hardship he went through from the 90s onwards he never forgot what he stood for "Don't let no one get you down, Keep movin' on higher ground, Keep flying until, You are the king of the hill". He never lost faith in mankind despite being dumped into shit over and over again. He didn't buy the elephant man's bones, he bought his skin!
❤️

Liked the song as a kid, but it's really nothing special. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis just aren't very good producers for MJ; always felt it was boring for MJ to use his sister's producers.

Well written. It’s a great song. Many layers. I find ‘epic’ fitting in labeling it. Love Jam & Lewis. And let’s not forget about Boyz II Men and, in particular, Andraé Crouch and his choir.

The single wasn’t for the HIStory track, though, but a double A-side with Ghosts released as the second single from Blood on the Dance Floor. Therefore it made sense to have the remix from the parent album as the featured version. (However, I do agree with you in that the eurotechno remixes are… hrm… lacking.)

Also, I wouldn’t say the single was a flop. It went to number 2 in Hungary, 5 in UK, 4 in Scotland & Spain, 12 in Sweden…

The Tony Moran remix was actually the very first version of the song that I listened to. Didn't listen to the original until a bit later.

Well written. It’s a great song. Many layers. I find ‘epic’ fitting in labeling it. Love Jam & Lewis. And let’s not forget about Boyz II Men and, in particular, Andraé Crouch and his choir.

The single wasn’t for the HIStory track, though, but a double A-side with Ghosts released as the second single from Blood on the Dance Floor. Therefore it made sense to have the remix from the parent album as the featured version. (However, I do agree with you in that the eurotechno remixes are… hrm… lacking.)

Also, I wouldn’t say the single was a flop. It went to number 2 in Hungary, 5 in UK, 4 in Scotland & Spain, 12 in Sweden…
I remember when it debuted the radio DJ predicted it would become a smash hit but he was wrong as it eventually peaked at nr 11, it did get significant radio airplay. Ghosts received none.

I always loved this song. It was recently pointed out to me the songs vocal melody is a lot like "7 Digits". Which is cool.

I also like the Tony Moran remix. There's other cool remixes as well.

Back