How close were Michael and princess Diana really?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I always wondered if they were really close because MJ postponed a concert when she died (I was there and it was awful lol).
What’s the timeline of their meetings. Was this the first time? It looks like a first time to me

What happened afterward? Did they call each other etc?

Great topic because I've heard he was supposedly obsessed with her but I don't believe that

I always wondered if they were really close because MJ postponed a concert when she died (I was there and it was awful lol).
What’s the timeline of their meetings. Was this the first time? It looks like a first time to me

What happened afterward? Did they call each other etc?
This was the first and only time that they met in person.

After that meeting, they remained very close to each other by telephone.

"We were very close … She was extremely close by phone ... [Princess] Diana woke me up usually late at night … mostly after three in the morning! And then she held me for hours on the telephone" (Michael Jackson, 1999)

The singer also made lyrical references to her in his 'Privacy' song.

It appears that Michael Jackson emotionally never recovered from her tragic death.

He also spoke highly of her to Rabbi Shmuley Boteach (in 2000-2001).

This always puzzled me a bit. The video footage of their meeting in 1988 clearly shows affection. (see the image below!) But has it been confirmed from other sources they called each other in the middle of the night? I love Michael, but we all know he likes to embellish a story sometimes! ;-)
(understandable, being an entertainer!)

ddb9652e-0d32-4e46-b3cd-34f0caebdcc9_ba065877.jpg

^that's due to different time zones. Morning time in the UK --> night in the US

This always puzzled me a bit. The video footage of their meeting in 1988 clearly shows affection. (see the image below!) But has it been confirmed from other sources they called each other in the middle of the night? I love Michael, but we all know he likes to embellish a story sometimes! ;-)

This really looks like a moment in history!! Its funny, I first thought RTT was about her, "on the phone, till dawn, till 3:00" :ROFLMAO:
If only they had more than phone calls and ended up together, maybe they could have saved each other! :cry:

Matt Fiddes (the singer's bodyguard) confirmed those late-night calls.

Matt Fiddes also stated that Michael Jackson told him that he loved her, that he wanted to marry her, and that she was his ideal wife.

After her tragic death, Michael Jackson decided to increase his security measures for fear of being the next person to go, according to the bodyguard.

Matt Fiddes also stated that Michael Jackson told him that he loved her, that he wanted to marry her, and that she was his ideal wife.

After her tragic death, Michael Jackson decided to increase his security measures for fear of being the next person to go, according to the bodyguard.
No one should take anything Matt Fiddes has to say seriously. He carried an umbrella for MJ during one visit to Exeter in 2002, he was not one of MJ's employees let alone a friend.

It seems like they were more like acquaintances than friends. I’m sure there’s an element of truth to them chatting on the phone, but it always gave me the impression of a schoolyard crush — he was infatuated but never made a move.

If the phone chatting is true than I wonder what they were talking about for hours. 2 people with that profile don’t have the time for that!

It is common in Showbusiness to exaggerate certain stories and Michael was no stranger to that. He would often romanticise and embellish many things he was telling. I'm not saying they never spoke on the phone, or that they didn't have a lot in common.

They most assuredly had mutual respect and appreciation, I just can't believe that they were "extremely close".

No one should take anything Matt Fiddes has to say seriously. He carried an umbrella for MJ during one visit to Exeter in 2002, he was not one of MJ's employees let alone a friend.
Matt Fiddes did not just carry an umbrella for Michael Jackson during one visit to Exeter in 2002.

He was the singer's bodyguard for 10 years.

Magician Uri Geller introduced Matt Fiddes to Michael Jackson in 1999, and he remained his bodyguard up until the singer's death in 2009.

Matt Fiddes was also a friend of Michael Jackson, that is why he knows also some other things that the singer confided in him.

For example, the bodyguard also revealed that Michael Jackson was instructed by his record companies and publicists (since the early Motown days) to stay away from public, romantic relationships with women because that would hurt his career (i.e., it would lead to losing many of his female fans).

For example, the bodyguard also revealed that Michael Jackson was instructed by his record companies and publicists (since the early Motown days) to stay away from public, romantic relationships with women because that would hurt his career (i.e., it would lead to losing many of his female fans).
what nonsense! 😲

Matt Fiddes did not just carry an umbrella for Michael Jackson during one visit to Exeter in 2002.

Magician Uri Geller introduced Matt Fiddes to Michael Jackson in 1999, and he remained his bodyguard up until the singer's death in 2009.

Matt Fiddes was also a friend of Michael Jackson, that is why he knows also some other things that the singer confided in him.

No, he was not his bodyguard let alone his friend. He worked for MJ for free for 2 days in Exeter and has tried to insert himself into anything to do with MJ since, even claiming at one point he was Blanket's father.

Just read this blog for some examples of his nonsense.

Hence why he publicly dated Tatum O’Neal and went to the Grammys and American Music Awards with Brooke Shields on multiple occasions.

I remember Uri Geller did an interview with The Sun or The Mirror as if he were channeling Michael in around 2001 or 2002 and said stuff like MJ was going to propose to Diana at one point.

Seems 100% legit and not mental in anyway way, shape or form.

After her tragic death, Michael Jackson decided to increase his security measures for fear of being the next person to go, according to

Matt Fiddes is an attention seeker who had no real relationship with mj. He got to spend a few days around mj in june 2002 with mjs real bodyguards during mjs london trip because he was friends with uri geller and had his martial arts students act as stewards at exeter (didnt go well). Hes an attention seeker who claims of a firiendship with mj get more exaggerated everytime he sells a story to the tabs.fans who live local to him speak about how he's a local wanna be celeb in the same field as terry george. They are friends aswell so that says it all. He didn't work for mj and according to a lawsuit when he tried to involve the Jackson family in a documentary in england (the lawsuit didn't end well for him) according to katherine when she asked mj about hlm mj didnt even know his name let alone knew him

Geller sold stories to the press about mj and diana which he later tried to recant amongst other stories he sold at the time.tmk theres no evidence mj had any contact with her other than the meeting at wembley

what nonsense! 😲

This is actually rather interesting as I read in a music magazine recently (Belgian) that male artists are not allowed to have girlfriends by their managers to keep them interesting for the female fans. They want to keep that aura that every female fan has a chance of seducing him.
Now I also find this nonsense but apparently it is still a thing that relationships by artists are kept a secret because they literally fear of losing fans.
Our own biggest ever artist had a relationship for many years and nobody not even the press knew about it. Eventually they married in secret and it got out but it didn't harm his popularity at all. Proving it was not necessary. But to this day it it still the practice that artists often keep their relationships secret.

------🤔🤣

In his attention seeking dreams. Funny how no one ever saw him except on one occassion in all those years. I guess saying that to the tabs gets you a few more quid! Its not like they are going to check

"and he remained his bodyguard up until the singer's death in 2009."

Must have been an invisible bodyguard then
🤣🤣🙄🙄

This is actually rather interesting as I read in a music magazine recently (Belgian) that male artists are not allowed to have girlfriends by their managers to keep them interesting for the female fans. They want to keep that aura that every female fan has a chance of seducing him.
Now I also find this nonsense but apparently it is still a thing that relationships by artists are kept a secret because they literally fear of losing fans.
Our own biggest ever artist had a relationship for many years and nobody not even the press knew about it. Eventually they married in secret and it got out but it didn't harm his popularity at all. Proving it was not necessary. But to this day it it still the practice that artists often keep their relationships secret.
It was very much the norm back in the day. Maybe now i dont know im to old for boy bands!

Even janet jackson kept her marriage secret and lied when asked

------🤔🤣

In his attention seeking dreams. Funny how no one ever saw him except on one occassion in all those years. I guess saying that to the tabs gets you a few more quid! Its not like they are going to check

"and he remained his bodyguard up until the singer's death in 2009."

Must have been an invisible bodyguard then
🤣🤣🙄🙄
Yeah, this how actual bodyguards of MJ react when they're asked about Fiddes.

lb1Iu_d.webp

That still sounds silly. They did not know Michael's female fans at all :ROFLMAO:

Here's Princess Diana wearing a BAD Tour Jacket that MJ gave to her.
EdYjInnWsAEFM-d.jpg

Honestly it's not hard to believe that Princess Diana and MJ had a telephone friendship. MJ right after Diana died, set up an ABC 2020 Interview with Barbra Walters (a US journalist) at the tail end of the HIStory tour concerning her death.

I can agree that they weren't super close best friends, but I can also believe that they had long phone calls (Glenda Tapes as an example) MJ did over exaggerate sure, but it's not hard to believe that one of the biggest star's in the world had phone calls with another high profile person. Especially with her separation/divorce. But that's just my view.

"He doesn’t pretend that she was a close friend, she was a fan. "

That was a rather interesting interview. I never really watched any of them. So many emotions from paranoia, to anger, to sadness, to laughter. It is clear which topics he loved talking about. He is very defensive here but that Barbara person is also kind of cold and distanced. Still Michael seemed comfortable talking with her so maybe in between questions she was ok? My gut feeling says she is probably not pro Michael right? I know nothing of these things, I tended to avoid anything that was not about music at that time.

Nowadays I don't think this is the norm anymore in western music industries, but it still is in the South Korean idol industry. Japan is an interesting case; formally, they do still have that rule, but in practice it nowadays usually means that you are allowed to date, but just not allowed to be public with it. It used to be just as strict as in South Korea though.

Nowadays I don't think this is the norm anymore in western music industries, but it still is in the South Korean idol industry. Japan is an interesting case; formally, they do still have that rule, but in practice it nowadays usually means that you are allowed to date, but just not allowed to be public with it. It used to be just as strict as in South Korea though.
I just don’t understand the logic. A singer can have a girlfriend/wife and then give ambiguous interviews, he can still wink at the crowd. He could act like hey I’m officially unavailable but I don’t believe in monogamy 😅 or he could do interviews wearing a t shirt stating “I love groupies”. I’m pretty sure no female fans will ditch their idol 🤓

I just don’t understand the logic. A singer can have a girlfriend/wife and then give ambiguous interviews, he can still wink at the crowd. He could act like hey I’m officially unavailable but I don’t believe in monogamy 😅 or he could do interviews wearing a t shirt stating “I love groupies”. I’m pretty sure no female fans will ditch their idol 🤓
Oh I do agree with you! But the Asian idol industries are vicious. Think western music industries are bad? You have seen nothing. They're mild in comparison, it's actually infuriating.

As for the monogamy thing, in Asia a comment like that would cause a scandal and then the person in question's career would be over, point blank.

Back