How much money did Sony spend on Invincible promotion?

eighthnoterojo

Proud Member
Hey guys,

I'm in an argument with someone, and I need facts about what happened between MJ, Sony and Mottola regarding Invincible. Anyone know a good resource for facts and figures ($-wise) about this? I need to know how much $ was spent on Vince, what MJ's loans were for the album, how much Vince earned in sales, how much was spent on YRMW.. all that stuff.

I was told Sony put up $30 million in promotion. Is this true? (I know better than to believe a hater at his word, lol, but I need proof of the contrary.) Are figures for this even available to the public?

Also, on a related note, can an album be successful monetarily if the artist doesn't tour to promote it, as artists usually do?

I thought I remember for the album alone it cost them 60 million to produce, but does that include promotion and what have you?

$30 million on what?

Sony had nothing to do with the MSG shows, MJ financed the YRMW video himself.... I would love to know what Sony spent $30m on.

I think Sony just put that figure out there because at the time they had their own agenda, and wanted MJ to appear non-profitable... "damaged goods" etc.

MJ did all the promotion for the album. Sony didn't do nothing but tell him which songs would and would not be released as singles/videos.

Well one good thing that Sony did was make You Rock My World the first single with the video instead of Unbreakable, hey I like Unbreakable, but I would have been forever saddened if I didn't get a video for YRMW

Well one good thing that Sony did was make You Rock My World the first single with the video instead of Unbreakable, hey I like Unbreakable, but I would have been forever saddened if I didn't get a video for YRMW

Wrong. Michael wanted Unbreakable to be the first single, and rightfully so. It is the better song of the two. Most MJ fans agree with this. This was the beginning of the end of the relationship between MJ and Sony when they pulled this stunt.

Sony claims it cost them $30 million to make Invincible. I just assumed that it cost $30 million on production, studio time, and other things alone. It's quite strange that they didn't push this album if they spent that much money on one album. I guess they didn't miss that $30 million to try to gain it back from sales. I'm not sure if that $30 million included promotion because I sure didn't see much of it.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

The guy I have been arguing with said that he wasn't surprised that Sony stopped promoting Vince; that they had already spent $30 million on it, and that it made sense for them to cut their losses when the album wasn't as huge a blockbuster sales-wise as Thriller had been. He also said that Michael was at least partly to blame for lower sales because he would not tour to promote it. He said that it was unwise for MJ to tell Sony that he was leaving before the album's release, and that all this, plus calling Mottola a racist in public, wasn't a good idea for gaining support of Sony for his album.

How would you respond to this? I have looked on the net for info regarding sales etc. of Invincible, but have not found much about how these events took place.

Was Invincible really a loss for Sony sales-wise vs. promotion costs?

Can you help me out, for MJ?

Do you think I should I ask a mod to move this thread into MJ Discussion so we can get more responses?

Back