How often do you listen to the holy trinity of

can we please not label and shame people for their preferences? it’s even more hurtful coming from the moderator of this board 😔

I’ve been a fan of michael’s for as long as I can remember. I am decades old. I resent being reduced to a ‘casual’ (which seems to be the slur around here) just because his biggest hits (up until ‘we are the world’) just happen to be my favourites.

another ‘thriller’ related thread that I felt good about participating in, took a turn for the worse 😔yet I’m hardly surprised..
It's not that bad, wow.

It's not a "slur". It's more out of touch on her end if anything.

Tbh the casual fans seem to just enjoy things more anyway. The "hardcore" fans usually just start to gatekeep after a while.

can we please not label and shame people for their preferences? it’s even more hurtful coming from the moderator of this board 😔

I’ve been a fan of michael’s for as long as I can remember. I am decades old. I resent being reduced to a ‘casual’ (which seems to be the slur around here) just because his biggest hits (up until ‘we are the world’) just happen to be my favourites.

another ‘thriller’ related thread that I felt good about participating in, took a turn for the worse 😔yet I’m hardly surprised..
Exactly! My favorite MJ song happens to be Will You Be There, but if was Billie Jean, would that make me less of a fan? Absolutely not, it just means that I really like that song, no matter if it's his most popular song or not. Somebody saying that their favorite song is one of those three does not mean they are less of a fan than someone whose favorite song is BOTDF, or Liberian Girl, or Who Is It, or Break of Dawn, etc. I think people say this because even someone who is not a fan of Michael's music knows all three of these since they are such iconic songs.

I listen to Thriller usually only when I watch the Thriller video which is once a month.

I listen to Beat It and Billie about 3-4 times a month.

When I was first getting into MJ, I played these songs so often I kinda soured myself on them. I’m very rarely playing them nowadays. But the benefit there is, whenever they do happen to come on, I’m struck by how goddamn good they are. It’s kinda like eating your favorite meal after not having it for a while—you know it’s gonna be good, but you still can’t help but have that moment of thinking, “Hot DAMN.”

Billie Jean to me is Michael's greatest ever song , in both performance and the way it was written.

Excuse my language but it is f*cking sublime, the perfect song and will go down in history as one of the best songs ever written by any artist.

It is popular for a reason and that reason being that it's a brilliant legendary track. There is no Michael Jackson song more iconic that Billie Jean.

Yes it is overplayed and has been for almost 40 years but it never gets old and can people flood a dancefloor in seconds, no matter their age.

Us hardcore fans have the privilege of being fans of mostly every track he's released so it's only natural the mega hits might no longer be our priorities.

It might not be your favourite track now but I can almost guarantee it's probably the most watched live performance whenever you see his concerts.

Billie Jean is to MJ what Bohemian Rhapsody is to Queen.

I essentially never listen to Thriller. Only ever twice at the most, in my entire life. Never seen the video once.
Ehh what? Thriller is funky as hell (no pun intended) and the last part of the track still gives me shivers; pure genius!
And you never seen the video..? I love you man but I don't know what to say anymore :)

I am sorry you felt that way. I have re-read what I wrote about 10 times, and I still cannot figure out where is the shaming in there. But still, if you felt offended, I apologize. I am not going to try to explain what I wrote, except that I don't consider myself a 'hardcore fan'.

Fun tidbit I caught on tv

I was watching a show looking back on 1997 and in that show they asked 16 year olds if they knew Michael Jackson (he was mentioned because of his concert in Ostend That year). The first guy said “no” and then he said “oh wait, thriller” and then henstarted humming the melody. Then a little girl of about 11 immediately said “ is that the one with the zombies?”. Then another teenage girl mentioned billie jean and starting singing the chorus and another teenage guy started singing beat it.

So it is pretty clear that current teenagers in general are only really aware of the “holy trinity”. But overall, they didn’t seem to be very impressed really lol.

Just thought I’d share this.

I often have Michael's Youtube Chanel playing at the same time when I'm doing something at home, for example cleaning my home. So the 3 videos/songs are there regularly like others form all his äras. Thriller isn't my favorite song form the triology. That said, I really think that Michael videography is a real testament to posterity. Even I keep getting distracted by it, even though I've seen it all so many times. I think no other aritst can match this.

I think I probably listen to Beat It the most if I'm honest. I checked out Thriller a lot once the 4k video came out. Don't know who the estate got to do those restorations but they did a great job

Back