How would you compile a new posthumous album?

tbh i love the cinematic feel on Timbalands remix of BG, by far the best version. maybe MJ would have loved it too? nobody knows.

but DYKWYCA 2014 was absolutely the worst ever produced.

the song dangerous ('89 mix) was given to teddy and after remixing it, they used this mix without any further changes. afaik Michael had no input on teddy's mix. he just approved and loved it instantly. right?

tbh i love the cinematic feel on Timbalands remix of BG, by far the best version. maybe MJ would have loved it too? nobody knows.
My friend enjoys it. I find it messy but interesting.
but DYKWYCA 2014 was absolutely the worst ever produced.
MJ might have loved that too. You don't know. It's been said to sound more like the music he was making latter day.
the song dangerous ('89 mix) was given to teddy and after remixing it, they used this mix without any further changes. afaik Michael had no input on teddy's mix. he just approved and loved it instantly. right?
Maybe it's not that simple but that's the gist of it.

For me, the next album must be a collection of songs recorded or finished between 2005 and 2009 :
- the RedOne produced and finished song
- the WillIam produced and finished songs
- the Neff-U produced songs
- and some others like Remember what i told you and I have this dream

I just love the combination of accordion and brass sounds of the original blue gangsta. It is one of his most interesting beats.

I think I have to agree with the sentiment of simply "finishing" (for lack of a better term) the songs, rather than making an all-new remix/arrangement/etc. And mind you, I do say this as someone who enjoys the Xscape remixes (it depends on the song whether I prefer the original or the remix). But despite this, 1) it's simply respectful to stay close to Michael's original vision, instead of crafting something that sounds very different, and 2) most fans seem to prefer the songs remain relatively "untouched". I'd also release the original demos along with it still, but instead of going for very early demos I'd pick the most recent version instead, since those are most likely the ones that Michael was the most satisfied with.

2) most fans seem to prefer the songs remain relatively "untouched". I'd also release the original demos along with it still, but instead of going for very early demos I'd pick the most recent version instead, since those are most likely the ones that Michael was the most satisfied with.
I don't think we can'say the fans prefer it because Chicago has been a huge hit as of late. Love Never Felt So Good also made big strides commercially, some people probably enjoyed the solo version more than the demo.

Slave to the Rhythm 2010, was far less faithful to the original demo but a lot of people faithfully chose that one over either Mike's original or the Xscape version. What people prefer fluctuates and isn't one size fits all.

I don't think we can'say the fans prefer it because Chicago has been a huge hit as of late. Love Never Felt So Good also made big strides commercially, some people probably enjoyed the solo version more than the demo.

Slave to the Rhythm 2010, was far less faithful to the original demo but a lot of people faithfully chose that one over either Mike's original or the Xscape version. What people prefer fluctuates and isn't one size fits all.
Hmmm you might be correct; I have to admit that the forum is my only real reference point (I don't really use social media) and this seems to be the general consensus. I do stand by my point though that staying close to Michael's vision is a good idea, even if merely out of respect.

Hmmm you might be correct; I have to admit that the forum is my only real reference point (I don't really use social media) and this seems to be the general consensus. I do stand by my point though that staying close to Michael's vision is a good idea, even if merely out of respect.
I agree in concept though really I think a case can be made for both. According to Will.I.Am, not releasing any of it at all is the most respectful course, and ignoring the messenger, is he wrong?; unless MJ says it done, who can say it's done? Except for a few genuinely finished outtakes, these aren't fully realized. Change the music, or release it 60 or 80% as is, it's just not the same. The asterisk must always be there.

I think some songs we have are good enough to release as is; they should be released as singles. The updates can be in the form of mixing, mastering, and re-recording the instrumentation. Songs like Hot Street, Chicago 1945, or the long anticipated post-Invincible work.

Other songs could benefit from guest collabs and more extensive modern reworks; contemporization would be the name of the game. That could be, in my mind, anything that ain't on the lists MJ wrote. Including the Original Versions should always be made priority also.

Conversely, some people don't even enjoy the original Versions of outtakes; there's nothing wrong with variety. Having new mixes and "Mike's mixes" together is still plenty cool to me.

Another cool idea would be honing in on that classic album sound. Slave to the Rhythm produced by Teddy Riley or Bill Botrell? Blue Gangsta by Rodney Jerkins? Loving You & Do You Know Where Your Children Are, by Quincy Jones, Bad style. Those would be interesting to hear, stylistic true throwbacks. The same way Dangerous got a whole new life, do it with all these songs.

I have several ideas for posthumous albums. While knowing the policy of the Estate to "update" the songs to make them commercially viable, I remain on a principle like the Xscape album (Remix + Demo). And I think the best is to do it by period. That is to say Thriller/Bad or Bad/Dangerous or Dangerous/History songs for example. I have compiled songs that are complete vocally and songs that are meant to exist. As a producer, I will take Pharell Williams for example with interventions by Mark Ronson and Max Martin. With the help (of course) of Michael Prince Durham, Brad Buxer, Matt Forger...

Here is my first idea: Mystery

The goal is to present it as the album with the best Thriller demos or the famous album between Thriller and Bad. I put alternative titles if ever the titles do not exist (like probably Mystery)

List:

Hot Street
Spice of Life / Rolling The Dice
Nymphette Lover/ Night Time Lover
Mystery / Fantasy
States Of Shock ( duo Freddie Mercury)
Chicago 1945
Dreams Away
Nite Line
Hot Fun In the Summertime

We don't have confirmation for the song "Mystery" but I think it's a great album name for MJ. As an album cover, maybe pick up the style of the "Scream" album which was the best thing on the album. I propose as an alternative title "Fantasy" which would be nice too. And if not, yes Hot Fun would be an intruder, but I can see it there.

Here is my second album idea: Victory

For once, we know that the title exists. But I have doubts if the song is good. I put names of current artists (and fan of MJ) which will only be used to complete songs not finalized vocally. If we do that for one or two songs, it might allow us to have a little more than a 10-song album. For the Estate, having names like Bruno Mars, The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar and Freddie Mercury would be great commercially.

List:

Eaten Alive
Turning Me Off
Crack Kills ( feat Kendrick Lamar)
Alright Now
Tomboy
Centipede
What's your Life
Make or Break (chanson complétée par un artiste comme Bruno Mars ou The Weeknd)
Innocent Man (interlude)
Victory (Freedie Mercury)

I am for putting intros or interludes if it remains coherent in the album.

As 3rd album idea: Jungle

As an alternative album title I will also put "Dreams" if it exists. For the cover, I will ask the artist who took care of the cover of Dangerous.

List :

1 Buffalo Bill
2 If You Don't Love Me
3 Serious Effect
4 Jungle
5 Delilah
6 Work That Body
7 Michael Mckellar
8 Men in Black
9 Saturday Woman
10 Get Around
11 She got it
12 Joy
13 Basszouille
14 Throwing your Life Away

Here I have listed about thirty songs on 3 albums. I am aware that not all of them exist. But you can have fun swapping some songs around.

I tried to divide the "best" demos between albums, such as: Hot Street, Chicago 1945, Eaten Alive, Buffalo Bill, Joy and Throwing your Life Away.

I remind you that this is only a fantasy / proposal on my part, I am aware that it may not please everyone. My opinion may also change in the future 😅
I assume that we obviously have the unmodified demos.
The best would also be to have a documentary on the origin of all these songs by highlighting the work of MJ, a bit like the book Xscape Origins did.
I would love to have your opinions.

Back