How would you rate Michael’s songwriting?

StarlightXX

Proud Member
Michael has always been a melodic songwriter - it’s like reading a novel with his lyrics. I think post-Thriller, he really boosted his songwriting skills and sang them with such sass and funk, but kept a narrative in them so it was like reading a story.

Even in his mature era, his songs (Invincible, 2006-2008 unreleased music) were lyrically beautiful. In some of his tougher, angsty songs, the songwriting can be described as witty and “straight to the point”/ assertive.

Last edited:
Michael was a fantastic songwriter and deeply underrated by critics and the public.

Not only was he a wonderfully gifted writer in terms of melody and hooks, but he had a real knack for putting the listener into his perspective without ever feeling too introspective.
Nobody crafts a story like Michael

As a lyricist I’m often not too interested in his topics, he is often a bit too defensive and he is often a bit too on the nose perhaps but as a melody maker and vocal arranger and vocalist there is no one better. He has the ability to draw you in no matter what genre he sings.

My favorite of his lyrics are Be Not Always but it is unclear how much of it he wrote himself. It is a atypical MJ song (very depressing, no hope and a downer of an ending) so it could be Marlon had a big influence on the lyrics?

Michael was a fantastic songwriter and deeply underrated by critics and the public.

Not only was he a wonderfully gifted writer in terms of melody and hooks, but he had a real knack for putting the listener into his perspective without ever feeling too introspective.
Nobody crafts a story like Michael
Agree. no-one can pull the rawest emotions out of words and draw you into the song the way like Michael.

There probably isn't a single aspect of music that Michael isn't the absolute best at. He's the best vocalist, best dancer, best performer and his discography is unparalleled it got noticeably better after Thriller with him mostly writing all of the songs

9.5/10. Genuinely. The one half point is because, in his pursuit of melodic perfection, he could occasionally be a little… dry lyrically. Which is fine, but I wish he flexed his poetic muscles a little more often. Songs like “Who Is It,” “Little Susie,” “Is It Scary,” etc. are just brilliant.

He's brilliant at constructing melodies and he's written some of the most enduring songs ever made. But he definitely can lack detail sometimes or the sense of lived experience in some of his music. When he writes and sings love songs, as good as a lot of them can be, it can be hard to reconcile the words with reality. Sometimes he ventured into the banal (heal the world) and other times he perfectly presented the feeling of loneliness in a way that I don't think has ever otherwise been achieved (stranger in moscow).

So in short, very good song writer. But I don't think his lyrics are necessarily his strong suit and there is a difference there.

Michael gerçekten çok güzel beste yapıyodu şarkı yazıyodu kalemi güçlüydü zaten bu yüzden hayranım ona şarkıları çok güzel ve anlamlı🥰

Last edited:
Some people are saying that lyrics weren't his strong suit but I'd say he's one of the greatests lyricists in pop music. Heartbreak Hotel, Billie Jean, Dirty Diana and Jam stand out as some of his best works lyrically.

Michael has always been a melodic songwriter - it’s like reading a novel with his lyrics. I think post-Thriller, he really boosted his songwriting skills and sang them with such sass and funk, but kept a narrative in them so it was like reading a story.

Even in his mature era, his songs (Invincible, 2006-2008 unreleased music) were lyrically beautiful. In some of his tougher, angsty songs, the songwriting can be described as witty and “straight to the point”/ assertive.
i give it a 1000000/10. he poured his heart and soul into his songs and i think he wrote over 100 songs for invincible? (someone please correct me if i am wrong) his words were beautiful, and in his later years, they symbolized the relentless pain he was going through

Back