if "State of Shock" (w/ Freddie) had been saved for the Bad album

Fuzball

Proud Member
Many consider JGF as the weakest song on the Bad album. It isn't per se a bad song but imo it's clearly out of place on the album.

Had it been replaced with a Freddie version of SoS, imo it would have elevated the album to another level. Kinda being a flawless album where every song could have been released as a single. Opinions?

Many consider JGF as the weakest song on the Bad album. It isn't per se a bad song but imo it's clearly out of place on the album.

Had it been replaced with a Freddie version of SoS, imo it would have elevated the album to another level. Kinda being a flawless album where every song could have been released as a single. Opinions?
Terrible. Just Good Friends is a much better song than State of Shock.

I wonder what a Bad version of this song would sound like

Could someone make this?

I've always liked just good friends and was surprised finding out that a lot of fans do not like it at all.

State of shock I really dislike, it's a poor song that doesn't go anywhere. Replace Mick with the Freddie version and it still sucks.

As a duet, compare Queen and Bowie's under pressure to state of shock..... it's so poor.

In that case, they would have had to remove 'Dirty Diana' because 2 rock songs would have been too many on the track list of the 'BAD' album.

Also, generally their approach from the 'Thriller' album onwards was 1 rock song on the track list.

Absolutely right. I never thought about it before, but it would improve the album.

State of shock even with Mick just fell like an undeveloped demo. The last half of the song is just sort of a n improvisation jam session. It had the makings of a good song though, it’s got a good riff and I quite like the hook. Michaels vocals as always are fantastic but I also what Mick did.

The Freddie demo sounds even more undeveloped

Weakest song on Bad is probably... Bad.

Somethings gotta give.

I Just Can't Stop Loving You also doesn't measure up to it's potential.

Soooo, ok don't shoot me for this.. I think what we hear in state of shock is great however; .... I do think it needed a different bridge, or something to give it that little variant to not sound as repetitive.

There I said..

Soooo, ok don't shoot me for this.. I think what we hear in state of shock is great however; .... I do think it needed a different bridge, or something to give it that little variant to not sound as repetitive.

There I said..
Maybe somebody should use AI to rework this song

Or maybe make an 80's Bad mix with Freddie

In that case, they would have had to remove 'Dirty Diana' because 2 rock songs would have been too many on the track list of the 'BAD' album.
Well, they don't have to be that formulaic. No reason you can't have 2 rock songs.

Like, I say this as somebody who became a MJ fan because of Dirty Diana, but... the collaboration with Steve Stevens didn't matter to me. I didn't know or care who he was, I just liked the song. However, everybody knows Mick Jagger - having a duet with him really would have taken the album to another level.

Firstly, there isn't really any need to replace a song (it wasn't too long or anything, even with LMA). Secondly, if you do have to remove something then Just Good Friends is right there. It's not a song that really does anything, other than say "there's a duet with Stevie Wonder on this album", but most people don't care about that.

In my opinion State Of Shock isn't strong enough for Bad. But I've never thought Michael and Freddie's vocals blend well together, not like Mike and Paul or Mike and Stevie

If State of Shock with either Freddie or Mick had been released like this:

Michael Jackson & Mick Jagger - State of Shock it would have been nr 1 now it peaked at nr 3. Name recognition is important.

Also, generally their approach from the 'Thriller' album onwards was 1 rock song on the track list.
Meanwhile HIStory has like 3 rock songs, and tons of rock elements in certain songs

I love Just Good Friends! I had no idea it wasn’t highly regarded with the fans either! I much prefer it to State of Shock.

I actually like the demo they did together quite a lot. It's much better the final version anyway. Would be nice to have it in higher quality.
To think we could've had that demo + Victory be officially released if the estate wasn't such a pain in the ass to work with... Honestly fuck John Branca lol

I don't think this song would have been as successful with Freddie Mercury, at least in the USA. Queen's popularity kinda died in the US at the time when they released that music video with the members in drag. I guess Mike himself would carry the load of selling the song. The Rolling Stones were more successful in the US than Queen ever was anyway. But Mick Jagger's solo records never really did that much though. I think State Of Shock & the David Bowie collabo Dancing In The Street are the only Top 10s Mick ever had.

Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming with Stevie Wonder or a finished version of Don't Be Messin' Round duet with Stevie would have been great, in my opinion.

BAD is the closest album SOS would've been cohesive on.

I still think "Cheater" would've been a great duet with Stevie

Back