In 2009, Michael asked fans around the world to vote on their favorite song. These were the results

IhateTheMedia

Proud Member
Country
United-States
  1. Billie Jean
  2. Smooth Criminal
  3. Man In The Mirror
  4. Thriller
  5. Beat It
  6. Dirty Diana
  7. Black Or White
  8. Bad
  9. The Way You Make Me Feel
  10. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
  11. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
  12. You Rock My World
  13. Rock With You
  14. Remember The Time
  15. Earth Song
  16. Dangerous
  17. You Are Not Alone
  18. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
  19. They Don't Care About Us
  20. Heal The World
  21. Human Nature
  22. Give Into Me
  23. Who Is It
  24. Scream
  25. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
  26. Another Part Of Me
  27. Stranger In Moscow
  28. Jam
  29. Liberian Girl
  30. Off The Wall
  31. Leave Me Alone
  32. Will You Be There
  33. In The Closet
  34. She’s Out Of My Life
  35. The Girl Is Mine
  36. Blood On The Dance Floor
  37. Come Together
  38. HIStory
  39. Unbreakable
  40. Keep The Faith
  41. Speechless
  42. 2 Bad
  43. Whatever Happens
  44. Butterflies
  45. Workin’ Day and Night
  46. Break Of Dawn
  47. Speed Demon
  48. Invincible
  49. The Lady In My Life
  50. Why You Wanna Trip on Me
  51. Baby Be Mine
  52. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)
  53. Tabloid Junkie
  54. Smile
  55. Childhood
  56. 2000 Watts
  57. Gone Too Soon
  58. Heartbreaker
  59. Little Susie
  60. Get On The Floor
  61. Cry
  62. Just Good Friends
  63. Don't Walk Away
  64. Heaven Can Wait
  65. You Are My Life
  66. The Lost Children
  67. She Drives Me Wild
  68. Money
  69. Girlfriend
  70. Burn This Disco Out
  71. It’s The Falling In Love
  72. D.S
  73. Fall Again
  74. On The Line
  75. Threatened
  76. I Can't Help It
  77. Can’t Let Her Get Away
  78. This Time Around
  79. Privacy
  80. We Are Here To Change The World
  81. Someone Put Your Hand Out
  82. Cheater
  83. Beautiful Girl
  84. Someone In The Dark
  85. Monkey Business
  86. You Can't Win
  87. Scared Of The Moon
It was said that several million people participated on this poll

Was this for TII set list where they were asking what songs the fans wanted to hear in the new show? Obviously just a bit of fun but I do remember this well.

Unbreakable at position 39 shows, the song would've had potential as a single.

1. Billie Jean
  2. Smooth Criminal
  3. Man In The Mirror
  4. Thriller
  5. Beat It
  6. Dirty Diana
  7. Black Or White
  8. Bad
  9. The Way You Make Me Feel
  10. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
  11. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
  12. You Rock My World
  13. Rock With You
  14. Remember The Time
  15. Earth Song
  16. Dangerous
  17. You Are Not Alone
  18. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
  19. They Don't Care About Us
  20. Heal The World
  21. Human Nature
  22. Give Into Me
  23. Who Is It
  24. Scream
  25. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
  26. Another Part Of Me
  27. Stranger In Moscow
  28. Jam
  29. Liberian Girl
  30. Off The Wall
  31. Leave Me Alone
  32. Will You Be There
  33. In The Closet
  34. She’s Out Of My Life
  35. The Girl Is Mine
  36. Blood On The Dance Floor
  37. Come Together
  38. HIStory
  39. Unbreakable
  40. Keep The Faith
  41. Speechless
  42. 2 Bad
  43. Whatever Happens
  44. Butterflies
  45. Workin’ Day and Night
  46. Break Of Dawn
  47. Speed Demon
  48. Invincible
  49. The Lady In My Life
  50. Why You Wanna Trip on Me
  51. Baby Be Mine
  52. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)
  53. Tabloid Junkie
  54. Smile
  55. Childhood
  56. 2000 Watts
  57. Gone Too Soon
  58. Heartbreaker
  59. Little Susie
  60. Get On The Floor
  61. Cry
  62. Just Good Friends
  63. Don't Walk Away
  64. Heaven Can Wait
  65. You Are My Life
  66. The Lost Children
  67. She Drives Me Wild
  68. Money
  69. Girlfriend
  70. Burn This Disco Out
  71. It’s The Falling In Love
  72. D.S
  73. Fall Again
  74. On The Line
  75. Threatened
  76. I Can't Help It
  77. Can’t Let Her Get Away
  78. This Time Around
  79. Privacy
  80. We Are Here To Change The World
  81. Someone Put Your Hand Out
  82. Cheater
  83. Beautiful Girl
  84. Someone In The Dark
  85. Monkey Business
  86. You Can't Win
  87. Scared Of The Moon
It was said that several million people participated on this poll
According to AEG Live, only these fans who had registered to purchase their 'This Is It' tickets had later the chance to vote for their favourite songs for the set list (via a follow-up email that invited them to vote).

In any case, it appears that Michael Jackson never took a look at this poll results.

According to AEG Live, only these fans who had registered to purchase their 'This Is It' tickets had later the chance to vote for their favourite songs for the set list (via a follow-up email that invited them to vote).

In any case, it appears that Michael Jackson never took a look at this poll results.
true, because YRMW was missing at the rehearsals
although he said, he would perform the songs his fans want to hear

I was able to vote for this. I had tickets for the show on my birthday. 2009 was an amazing year for fans up until the worst day ever.

I think a lot of those songs MJ would have had difficulty in doing live. If they were to be done they would have been either lip synched directly or re recorded and lipped. I think She's Out of My life would Definetly have been done at some stage. Things like Monkey Business , Cheater etc, no chance.

I think a lot of those songs MJ would have had difficulty in doing live. If they were to be done they would have been either lip synched directly or re recorded and lipped. I think She's Out of My life would Definetly have been done at some stage. Things like Monkey Business , Cheater etc, no chance.
MJ intended to sing as live as possible.

My point was why even asks the fans what songs they want to hear if it was the same setlist from past tours.

He never intended to do what the voting said. Stuff like this is done to get fans engaged and for marketing.

I thought the same, though, Dirty Diana is number 6. And if I'm not mistaking it was planned to be performed.
So, maybe he took a brief look at the list...

(Next in list that would have been a surprise would be DSTYGE, but his voice likely wouldn't have fit anymore.)

I thought the same, though, Dirty Diana is number 6. And if I'm not mistaking it was planned to be performed.

(Next in list that would have been a surprise would be DSTYGE, but his voice likely wouldn't have fit anymore.)
We see him rehearsing DSTYGE. He had it.

I think a lot of those songs MJ would have had difficulty in doing live. If they were to be done they would have been either lip synched directly or re recorded and lipped.
I wished he would have re-recorded songs specifically for touring, those he didn't intend to sing live. Later performances (history tour) would have been more "realistic" opposed to hearing raspy, hoarse renditions of WBSS followed by suddenly pitch-perfect, in their original key, exact studio-versions (cause they were) for songs like RWY, OTW, DSTYGE.

I wished he would have re-recorded songs specifically for touring, those he didn't intend to sing live. Later performances (history tour) would have been more "realistic" opposed to hearing raspy, hoarse renditions of WBSS followed by suddenly pitch-perfect, in their original key, exact studio-versions (cause they were) for songs like RWY, OTW, DSTYGE.
Honestly he really should have stopped touring after Dangerous, ideally in a world where IT doesn't happen. He'd just do one off performances every year fully sung live to promote his new album.

true, because YRMW was missing at the rehearsals
although he said, he would perform the songs his fans want to hear
This was a statement on his part purely in order to hype up anticipation for his upcoming shows.
That would have been even worse because the audience would have felt that Michael Jackson tried to deceive them.
Honestly he really should have stopped touring after Dangerous, ideally in a world where IT doesn't happen. He'd just do one off performances every year fully sung live to promote his new album.
His contract with Sony (that he signed in 1991) stipulated that each of his subsequent studio albums had to reach a certain, minimum point of sales (i.e., 40 million sales) in order for him to get specific payments.

This stipulation strongly implied also extensive touring (especially, outside US) in order to achieve these album sales on an international level.

Oh I think it's very possible he looked at it, but I doubt it had any great impact, like I said it was just to get fans involved and to generate hype. I think the final setlist speaks for itself in that regard.

Last edited:
He planned to do that according to Michael Prince, he said they recorded a couple of lines from Stranger In Moscow for This Is It but they never finished recording the whole song.

What was the reason they had to delay the show again and move some dates?

I'm sure they said it was due to changes in the production etc but am I right in saying that it was actually because of Michael being mentally unstable? Did that not come out in the Murray trial?

Anyway, looking at how close they were to the start date, I still think they would have been pushing it to get everything ready for the first show - it seemed like they still had so much to do for opening night.

Oh I think it's very possible he looked at it, but I doubt it had any great impact, like I said it was just to get fans involved and to generate hype. I think the final setlist speaks for itself in that regard.
It was all singles, and popular ones most of the time. But that's how it works afaik.

What was the reason they had to delay the show again and move some dates?

I'm sure they said it was due to changes in the production etc but am I right in saying that it was actually because of Michael being mentally unstable? Did that not come out in the Murray trial?

Anyway, looking at how close they were to the start date, I still think they would have been pushing it to get everything ready for the first show - it seemed like they still had so much to do for opening night.
Sure they said that but the reality is they had lots to streamline.

Back