Interview with Václav Havel on Michael Jackson

FullLipsDotNose

Proud Member
Václav Havel, famous playwriter and a former president of Czechoslovakia and the Czech Republic (1989-1992, 1993-2003), would celebrate 80th brithday today (he passed away in 2011). In 2005, he was interviewed in Švanda's Theatre in Prague, alongside Lou Reed, where he spoke about MJ as well:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....446591448947.246556.573013947&type=3&theater

my translation:

H: What made you invite Michael Jackson to Prague Castle?
HAVEL: First and foremost, I didn't invite him because I was his fan. He initiated the visit himself and I was interested in him as a civilisation phenomena. And I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed with our meeting. Nevertheless, I was asked in the end if I wouldn't go with him to the third yard, that there were children assembled and we could say hello to them. I truthfully said that I had another audience lined up.
REED: Well, I consider Michael Jackson one of the best dancers on Earth. I've seen him a couple of times, for example during Grammy's. In our generation, he's a first-class star. Unfortunately, people nowadays don't appreciate his excellent singing and dancing skills, they seem to see the other side of his personality only. And it's a pity. I really like him singing and dancing. He's fantastic.
HAVEL: I respect all his skills, but I still admit I'm not his fan.
REED: I know. Actually, he hasn't been to my castle, but he visited yours.
H: How did Michael Jackson disappoint you?
HAVEL: I asked him how he felt about being known and adored by a few billions of people. I expected some reflection and it seemed he had no clue what I was asking for. And I had an interpreter there.
REED: What did he answer?
HAVEL: That he likes singing.

Back