Into The Woods (2015)

Into-the-Woods-2014-movie-poster.jpg

Into the Woods is a modern twist on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales in a musical format that follows the classic tales of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel-all tied together by an original story involving a baker and his wife, their wish to begin a family and their interaction with the witch who has put a curse on them. A witch conspires to teach important lessons to various characters of popular children's stories including Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel.

I didn't like what Rob Marshall did with Chicago or 9 but I'm willing to give it a chance because of Meryl Streep, she's my favorite and Johnny Depp, also the premise seems interesting. It was going to be premiered on Christmas but the date was changed to January 25, 2015.

I did like what he did with Chicago (although it couldn't help but remind me of Cabaret.). Nine, not so much.
This was going to be my Christmas movie this year. I wonder why they delayed it.
Could be a bad sign. :(

I hope not, I mean, Meryl rarely goes wrong. The witch teaching all those classical fairy-tale characters has me intrigued and also sings.

Also Johnny, thought his transformation was going to be more wolf-like.

tumblr_ndwwc6JVwU1tsg5k1o1_500.png

When I saw Chicago, the movie, I liked it but then I saw the musical, (online, I wish it was on Broadway instead) Renée's and Catherine's performances were flat in comparisson.

Oh well that's true about the Broadway versions compared to the film. I went in not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.
The music for Into the Woods ought to be great (Sondheim-I'm a major fan)!!

Thank you for posting SWLPP

I LOVE Meryl Streep, God doesn't she look wonderful??
There has not been a role which didn't fit her huh?
I don't mind they delayed ... Gives us something to look forward to.

For what was shown in videos posted, the music sounds beatiful.

Who doesn't love Meryl? Even in her sixties, she's still a force to reckon and the best, no matter that cocky arrogant Jennifer Lawrence shoved in her face she won at the moment. I really I didn't expect too much of this movie in vane.

I loveeeeeeeeee your signature btw Snow White Loves Peter Pan

Did you watch the movie? I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it, espcially Meryl. I liked the fact Stephen Sondheim and James Lapin respected the dark aspects the original Grimm brothers' stories had and for the critiques I've read and seen about the movie, it's for the most part true to the musical.

Even if I didn't like how Johnny Depp looked, I liked his performance. Hello Little Girl was as creepy as it needed to be but I felt glad Disney PG-ed it because in the musical is creepier.

And the original Wolf.

^^They both creep me out. I think the Depp version a little more since you can hear the audience laugh in the Broadway version.
Don't know why people would laugh at that -it's creepy and scary.

I need to go see this before it leaves the theaters.

Yes, both of them are creepy but I found more disturbing the Wolf in the musical had a penis hanging on his costume. Like I said before, the creators respected more the dark nature the Grimm stories had, the wolf was originally a creepy pedo who wanted to eat The Little Red Riding Hood in more ways than just the literal sense (if you know what I mean.) I also learned that the Wolf also performs Cinderella's prince in the musical because both of them couldn't control their appetites, if you watch any of them,movie or musical, you'll see what I mean; it'd have been interesting to see Johnny as the prince as well, not just as the wolf. I can atest the movie respects for the most part the musical but some character's demeanor was changed, for example the Witch in the musical is funny, I preferred Meryl's seriousness, well most of the characters in the musical had a funny tone. I found the 1991 broadcasting with all the original cast.

Talking about people laughing at creepy stuff and another Sondheim musical, there are videos in a very bad quality but it's still noticeable and audible how people are cracking up at the original Sweeney Todd, Len Cariou slitting people's throat throwing them with his baber's chair where Mrs, Lovett cooked them, I honestly didn't find that funny but for example the way Angela Lansbury and Len sang A Little Priest even when it's an ode to cannibalism, the lyrics and their performance made it quite hilarious. I guess some stuff were meant to be funny eventhough those are creepy as well. Johnny said "when you're talking to your meal" in a very sinister way but Robert Westenberg said it like he was joking but I didn't laugh, I was more disturbed at his manerisms and his costume to be laughing.

I did take both versions as pedophilia and thought Johnny's was a little more obvious. I saw a version with Bernadette Peters many years ago. Is that the 91 version?
I love "Sweeney Todd". Or most if it. I know it's super dark but I admit I laugh when I listen to my Broadway album.

I didn't notice the penis bc I'm reading and watching on a little phone so I see your point.

And yes. Talk about dark. The original Grimm stories are horrendously terrifying. I didn't really read those until i was about 8 or 9 and I had already seen most of the Disney versions.
I really admired Disney later for making them still scary in parts but so beautiful.

Looking for more info about the video I posted, I read it was filmed in 1989 but broadcast in 1991. Bernadette was quite funny, I loved both the musical and movie. I hope Meryl wins her 4th Oscar for that role as Best Supporting Actress.

I love Sweeney as well, too bad they didn't get Len to perfom him again for the televized version in 1982. I have nothing against George Herm, I liked his performance but no one like Len. And watching that version it made me feel disappointed at Tim Burton's film rendition, Johnny and Helena were emotionless and monotone. Johnny's voice was more suitable for the Wolf role than Sweeney Todd IMO.

In the musical, Red Riding Hood is normally played by an adult, so yeah it definitely increases the creepy factor in the movie having her as a child. I saw the musical a long time ago in person. It might have even been with Bernadette Peters, but if not, the person who played the witch was a good imitator. Nonetheless, I got the original cast version on DVD. I was worried when I heard Disney was going to adapt their version, but I'm pretty happy with it. They brought the woods to life.

Back