Is 'Thriller' so overrated that it has become underrated?

prettyyoungthaang

Proud Member
I kinda get the impression from the community that they underrate 'Thriller' because of its popularity, i.e. it does not live up to the 'hype' it was given, and that Michael has produced better albums.

I feel like because it is so highly regarded in the music industry that people have grown tiresome of the hype and end up undermining the album, even though there is obviously a reason it is the best selling album of all time.

I personally love Thriller, I feel like every song on there falls under my fave MJ songs (besides 'The Lady in My Life').

What do you guys think? Is my impression wrong - do people give Thriller equal amounts of praise? I feel like most user's preferences are 'Dangerous' and 'HIStory'. Mention some of your favourite 'Thriller' hits if you please. :D

No.
Not IMO at least.
People might like to be edgy and say that another one of MJ's albums is his best (or the best of all time), but all in all I think that most people lowkey know that Thriller is awesome.
It is literally the best selling album of all time, and it just got certified for 32x plat earlier THIS year.
Thriller's awesomeness cannot be denied. :yes:
I think it's about a 50/50 spilt of people that love Thriller and people that underrate it.

Its the album hes best known for, despite what the rest of us think. His biggest selling album. The biggest selling album of all time. The album of his that so consistently sells on iTunes and Vidal and all those things. Probably the most famous album of all time. Massive singles that launched the definition of superstar for the rest of time. A selection of songs that will never be outsold.

Over rated and under rated are terms I dont like to use, but Thriller is regarded exactly as it should be.

Thriller doesn't have to be everyone's favorite MJ album. I don't separate MJ from Thriller so for me its massive success is amazing and I cherish it like I cherish the rest of MJ's success throughout his career. Not to mention Thriller IS a brilliant album. The one thing I do wish is that some people could see MJ beyond that because he has done great things before and after Thriller too.

I would say a part.. yes! it's a great album but I find myself not staying with a station if the song is NOT Thriller related less than if it were.. I think radio stations are too selective when it comes to MJ.. pick to play Thriller songs because it's his biggest album.. the others don't get enough play so in return, it's like "oh Beat It is playing again... next"..

This in no way means I don't like Beat It!! Before someone ***** me!

Thriller is a great album, I like every single on it. I think that due to Thriller's success, MJ's other albums got overshadowed.

When Bad came out, people said it was a flop, because it didn't met the standards that Thriller had. That's funny, because most of the fans prefer Bad (or Dangerous) over Thriller.

Thriller has become a standard thing, so people don't praise it so much as they did back in the day. Nowadays, new albums are compared to Thriller in term of success and sales. Even though people now that Thriller is the most appreciated album in the world, people don't much pay attention anymore, because the album is a common thing.

Which is a shame though, because now MJ is dead they only think of Thriller (and sometimes Bad) while the King has better albums than Thriller.

I think more than anything, Thriller is now taken for granted because of what it achieved, to where there's no superlative that hasn't been said about the album since the time of its release

In short, I find the stuff on Thriller and Off the Wall to be intricately well-produced dancefloor hits. With their monstrous success/legacy, they both contain iconic and signature songs for Michael that were gamechangers for the 'genre' and in the industry.

I just find what came after to have much more artistic depth.

Is Thriller overrated/underrated? I don't know. Things do lose their impact when you become so familiar with them but it's testament to Michael that Thriller is still so familiar. It's well regarded still but a lot of big voices tend to point to Off the Wall instead. And as you say the fans look to the post-Thriller work.

Thriller is a brilliant album, and I'm happy that it gets all the credit it does. What I don't like is when people start acting like Thriller is the be all and end all of Michael Jackson. Some people act like his career starts and ends with Thriller. And I hate that

I don't think thriller could ever me underrated it did make Bad seem underrated though at the time of it's release even though Bad went on to sell shit loads of records and also broke records.

Thriller and Bad are the only albums ever made where even non fans will know and be able to sing virtually every song.

That in itself is unbelievable and unique to MJ.

Plus you could make a Greatest Hits album from those two albums alone and still have around 15 songs:

WBSS
BJ
THE GIRL IS MINE
BEAT IT
HUMAN NATURE
THRILLER
BAD
TWYMMF
LIBERIAN GIRL
MITM
IJCSLY
SMOOTH CRIMINAL