Items deposited with the US Copyright office

I'm about 4 hours from D.C. I could conceivably do this!! And I'm an academic. If I say I'm doing MJ research, perhaps I can even get it funded! 😉

That's a joke. My school has no funding. Still, I want to do this. I didn't even know this was a thing!

Chicago 1945 was registered for the 3rd time last month. Last time the song was registered was in 1995, curious.
Type of Work: Recorded Document
Document Number: V9988D315
Date of Recordation: 2022-11-07
Entire Copyright Document: V9988 D315 P1-2
Date of Certification: 10/27/2022
Title: Chicago 1945 & 3 other titles / Steven Porcaro.
Notes: Notice of termination of grant under 17 USC Section 203; date and manner of service of the notice: 28Oct22, by first class certified mail, return receipt requested & email. Termination effective 2Oct28.
Party 1: Steven Porcaro.
Party 2: Michael Jackson, dba ATV Music.
Links: List of Titles

Names: Porcaro, Steven
Jackson, Michael
ATV Music
Steven Porcaro

Chicago 1945 was registered for the 3rd time last month. Last time the song was registered was in 1995, curious.
I’m gonna assume that this is in response to the recent leak (though that then begs the question of why “Dream Away” wasn’t registered).

I’m gonna assume that this is in response to the recent leak (though that then begs the question of why “Dream Away” wasn’t registered).
The song was registered on October 27th and was leaked on November 14th, it must be for something unrelated to the leaks. On a side note it must be related to his seminars seeing how close the dates are lol.

Document title: Chicago 1945 & 3 other titles / Steven Porcaro.

The complete document is: V9988 D315 P1-2

List of titles:
001 Chicago 1945.

002 Exist / Reg. PAu000828149.

003 Out of nowhere.

004 Walk of life / Reg. PAu000828148.

Document title: Chicago 1945 & 3 other titles / Steven Porcaro.

The complete document is: V9988 D315 P1-2

List of titles:
001 Chicago 1945.

002 Exist / Reg. PAu000828149.

003 Out of nowhere.

004 Walk of life / Reg. PAu000828148.
I searched for the copyright registry of Exist and Walk Of Life, they're primarily Steve Porcaro's creations and have nothing to do with MJ it seems. One of the songs was registered as far back as 1986-1988.

I'm gonna assume the other tracks are just demos he has recorded on his own. Would be cool if he had one or two more MJ demos he hasn't shown yet but I find unlikely. You never know though, we didn't know about Dream Away until recently.

Has anyone found out about how the procedure is like and how much would it cost to listen to 15-20 songs? Going to the Copyright Office and listen to unreleased songs is something I need to do before I die lol.

Has anyone found out about how the procedure is like and how much would it cost to listen to 15-20 songs? Going to the Copyright Office and listen to unreleased songs is something I need to do before I die lol.
No I haven't. It's still something I plan on doing but not sure when and I still don't even know the process, if it's even possible.

I still don't even know the process, if it's even possible.
I'm not so sure myself either lmao, I read some time ago that you need some kind of researcher's permit to listen to the songs but people here said that anyone can go and listen. Someone should ask Damien Shields how the procedure is done and how much would it be in total.

The day somebody actually goes to listen will be almost as momentous as the time that guy stole a laptop.

Actually, why not just steal songs from Washington? They don't seem any different than Brad am I right? /s

I don't know if this helps but Damien said that if you're looking to get older music (from tapes and CDs) it'll be more expensive. It might be better to ask for songs that were registered more recently if someone's looking to not spend as much.

Totally not manipulating people into listening to songs from the 2000's

Some explanation as to how the procedure is done:
"It cost thousands. Process: You tell them what you want to hear. They send a quote. Pay in advance per tape/CD/file. Tapes/CDs were retrieved from a storage warehouse. You listen under supervision, via headphones provided by the copyright office. We listened to hundreds of songs." https://twitter .com/DamienShields/status/1691631046578860383
"They handle the material. It never leaves the inspection room. We had to request/pay months in advance - then they retrieved the original tapes/CDs sent to them by MJ (and Cascio and Porte). Re digital files, they made the files accessible on a computer with no internet access." https://twitter.com /DamienShields/status/1691632762594447384

Back