Janet is a victim of AGEISM?

JM77

Proud Member
Whilst reading Janet news, I've come across a few articles based on the fact that, like Madonna, Janet Jackson has become a victim of ageism. This is because many radio stations seem to be 'refusing' to play her new music and her songs like, No Sleeep and Unbreakable, which are falling off the charts. However, No Sleeep is topping the Adult Airplay Charts - you can read more info about this on her site: http://www.janetjackson.com/
On the Billboard Hot 100 chart, No Sleeep debuted at No. 67 and seemingly quickly lost its spot as No. 1 on the Billboard Trending chart quickly after release. I'm not saying that peak positions matter a lot, only that by not playing her music on charts that are not labelled 'Adult' and not playing No Sleeep (music video) on television music channels, such as, 4Music causes her music to not be heard by younger/new generations and her new music isn't rising to the top like it deserves. This also partly impacts her legacy staying alive due to younger generations not hearing the music.

To me, this is not good enough and in fact totally absurd!

AreYouSeriousJanetJackson_zps4dc8030c.gif

Similar to what Madonna said, it should be all about the MUSIC and not a woman's age (sexism is another issue). Janet should be on mainstream charts, despite the fact that she's 49 years old, as her new music is really great, in my opinion. Wasn't there a time when music was ageless? For example, older artists like, Tom Jones, Elton John, etc. I'm sure topped the charts during their stardom. Does this make ageism in the music industry new? What about sexism? Due to this, someone created a petition for Janet to be played on more radio stations! For not only her fans to hear, but possible new fans and new generations as well. I find this totally unfair, especially since Janet's new music is fantastic to me - positive reviews by music critics as well.

Here's one article based on this issue dated back in July: http://www.inquisitr.com/2252446/madonna-and-janet-jackson-prove-sexism-and-ageism-is-still-rampant/

Thoughts?

I think all "older" artist have to deal with that... Youth is glorified and even when a song is good - it does not get the same play... an artists relevance plays a part of it too though.. People today are very cult like followers when it comes to artists..They want to play/hear WHO is hot over what is GOOD..

If Ariana Grande released that same song, it would be played....

In defense (devils advocate) though, smooth R&B like Janets single does not get top hit radio attention like other music. Younger generations don't often appreciate that music the same way. It's a more 'mature' sound.

People want something they can party to, dance to, act stupid to lol...

I think all "older" artist have to deal with that... Youth is glorified and even when a song is good - it does not get the same play... an artists relevance plays a part of it too though.. People today are very cult like followers when it comes to artists..They want to play/hear WHO is hot over what is GOOD..

If Ariana Grande released that same song, it would be played....

In defense (devils advocate) though, smooth R&B like Janets single does not get top hit radio attention like other music. Younger generations don't often appreciate that music the same way. It's a more 'mature' sound.

People want something they can party to, dance to, act stupid to lol...

Well, you are right and I wish things were different. I guess it's similar to when some people say that they wish the 90's music was brought back, when their was awesome R&B (like No Sleeep for today's music) music by TLC, Aaliyah, Michael, etc.

Last edited:
Janet benefited from ageism back in the day when Diana and tina got pushed aside. what goes around comes around:( still gonna see her show:)

Isn't Janet's music still blacklisted due to the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show controversy?

Isn't Janet's music still blacklisted due to the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show controversy?

I've had my suspicions that the blacklisting is also part of the issue, but I haven't looked into that and so I wouldn't know if it's actually still happening. Other than the ageism and the possible blacklisting, I think her comeback is doing quite well - her concert tickets are selling like hot cakes and her album is sounding PLUSH ;) Also, she looks and is performing GREAT!

Back