Janet Jackson announces new album

I personally like the direction. I did not mention Madonna to bash her just for the sake of it, but because I think what she's doing currently is just so embarrassing and IMO Janet shows right now that you can do it differently as a legendary female pop star around 50-60. I much prefer Janet to go back to her roots than to try to keep up with current trends in order to appeal to teenagers which would only come off as desperate as it does in Madonna's case.

I totally agree with this. It seems like she's aiming for a target fan base age of the mid twenties crowd and up because those were the ones listening to her music back in the day (80's/90's.) Just as she's matured, we've matured with her, and it makes sense to direct it towards us as opposed to teenagers now who don't really know who she was then, let alone know now.

I did read a really great review of her 2011 show that really raved on the close intimate show without special effects and theatrics and especially that she sang live. in lieu of a more intimate show.

I did see her 2011 show in Van when she played to around 2800 fans. I think I was in the 3rd row or something and it was pretty amazing to see. She had a handful of dancers, and it was very nice to see her striped down and singing live as opposed to staring at a jumbo screen and trying to make out what was happening. The venue she's playing at this year that I have tickets to got split into less than half of what is usually is, so as opposed to the 18,600ish it seats, it looks like she'll be doing another smaller show with around 6000 people. I'm interested to see what route she'll take because this venue is our main concert venue with a huge stage and all the hoopla. The 2011 show was like playing at City Hall compared to the venue she'll be playing at this year, but the audience size will be roughly the same.

I totally agree with this. It seems like she's aiming for a target fan base age of the mid twenties crowd and up because those were the ones listening to her music back in the day (80's/90's.) Just as she's matured, we've matured with her, and it makes sense to direct it towards us as opposed to teenagers now who don't really know who she was then, let alone know now.
That makes absolute sense-I think that's the direction most artists ought to go-although, I realize that kills radio play. But these days, do kids really listen to the radio? I think it's mostly adults in cars.

I did see her 2011 show in Van when she played to around 2800 fans. I think I was in the 3rd row or something and it was pretty amazing to see. She had a handful of dancers, and it was very nice to see her striped down and singing live as opposed to staring at a jumbo screen and trying to make out what was happening. The venue she's playing at this year that I have tickets to got split into less than half of what is usually is, so as opposed to the 18,600ish it seats, it looks like she'll be doing another smaller show with around 6000 people. I'm interested to see what route she'll take because this venue is our main concert venue with a huge stage and all the hoopla. The 2011 show was like playing at City Hall compared to the venue she'll be playing at this year, but the audience size will be roughly the same.
I was surprised she played to 75K people here in 2011, especially with an "intimate" show-but it was "Black Heritage" Rodeo Day and they must have put up some kind of jumbotron for it anyway-I saw the Jacksons as kids there back in the 70's-no jumbotrons back then-you had to use binoculars.

Apparently, her previous tours played our basketball arena-so it holds 22-25K people-same place that Michael did "Bad" tour. I think it would be really fantastic to see them with an intimate audience.

Can't wait to hear your reviews.

I do not know.

I was talking more about the reviews-which in a way, I thought were funny-because they praised things she did, that they did not appreciate with Michael. A little aggravating.

I understand and it actually happened for years. It was a hateful practice by the media that I appreciate Janet never encouraging.

The media created the professional rivalry between her and Michael and sought to portray her as the only sane Jackson family member for their own purposes.

Yes. I remember that well. The US media tried to pit them against each other and at times it felt like they were showering her so much praise just to stick it to Michael, because some of those reviews were worded in such a way that they seemed like backhanded comments on MJ. It was like they were trying to say Janet was the "cool" Jackson now while Michael was the "uncool" Jackson.

Mmmm, I like the song okay, the hook is a nice variation from her usual slojam fare. Drives me bonkers that it's "Sleeep" instead of, you know "sleep"

I didn't even realize it was spelled "Sleeep" with 3 e's. LOL.

Yes. I remember that well. The US media tried to pit them against each other and at times it felt like they were showering her so much praise just to stick it to Michael, because some of those reviews were worded in such a way that they seemed like backhanded comments on MJ. It was like they were trying to say Janet was the "cool" Jackson now while Michael was the "uncool" Jackson.

It was a bit more as it was all not in print. It was active effort to portray Janet as the only sane Jackson compared to her parents and her eight siblings. It was never simply Michael however; it seemed Michael received the lion's share of the veiled insults for obvious reasons. Again, Janet never encouraged that rudeness to her credit.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by respect77

It was a bit more as it was all not in print. It was active effort to portray Janet as the only sane Jackson compared to her parents and her eight siblings. It was never simply Michael however; it seemed Michael received the lion's share of the veiled insults for obvious reasons. Again, Janet never encouraged that rudeness to her credit.
Respect and Tygger-this is really interesting to me-and I'm a little shocked-mainly because it's 2015 and it's the first time hearing it-I fought for years not to listen to any lies and tabloid trash regarding Michael going way back-yet, it seems like I always knew what was being said, because mainstream news or newspapers would pick it up, or people at work would be talking, etc.
And I never heard anything about this. So I guess my ban on the media worked in one area. :)

However, it does seem like the media today is picking up right where it left off-the GMA report this morning was glowing and all the anchors were talking about her music being the soundtracks of their lives-much like I think of Michael. So if the media can make or break you, it looks like theyre in her corner this time.

Last edited:
However, it does seem like the media today is picking up right where it left off-the GMA report this morning was glowing and all the anchors were talking about her music being the soundtracks of their lives-much like I think of Michael. So if the media can make or break you, it looks like their in her corner this time.

Janet earned that support. If her project is acceptable, she should not receive negative media reception just because. The media was ridiculously rude to her after her SuperBowl performance.

Well, of course she shouldn't. I have read a lot of reviews in the last day and all are saying it's a fantastic throwback to the 90s and to her roots. They seem to love it.

Interesting to me that maybe songs don't have to be contemporized after all. Maybe they can bring Michael's unreleased songs back to their roots.

As a newer MJ Fan, I've never listened to Janet. I liked No Sleeep. Interested to see this new album! :D

NEWS/

Janet Jackson, 49, Looks Half Her Age in New Album Photo Shoot! Watch a Behind-the-Scenes Video

by BRETT MALEC Today 10:44 AM PDT

Janet Jackson is proving she never ages!
The 49-year-old singer recently did a photo shoot for her upcoming album and she took to Instagram to share a sneak peek pic with fans. The music icon looks stunning in ripped jeans and a white long-sleeved shirt and lots of accessories. Janet strikes a sultry stare towards the camera as her long curly hair frames her face.
"JANET as seen on @GMA! -JANET's Team #ConversationsInACafe #NoSL333P," Janet's team captioned the black and white photo.
PICS: Stars who never age

Her team also released a behind-the-scenes video from the photo shoot that features commentary from her favorite photographer.
"Anytime that I get to work with Janet it's an honor, it's like reuniting with an old friend," YuTsai said of working with Janet. "We're back on set together again we're doing our tango together again, I love it."
Her stylist Kim Bowen adds, "We're trying to bring together a whole conglomeration of different kinds of looks. It's kind of funky, it's a bit rock n roll, it's kind of ethnic, maybe even a little bit punky here and there. And it's kind of sexy and it's quiet organic, a bit tribal. Janet always has a tribe going on."

http://www.eonline.com/news/688658/janet-jackson-49-looks-half-her-age-in-new-album-photo-shoot-watch-a-behind-the-scenes-video?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

• Tweet

Last edited:
As a younger Janet Jackson fan, I'm SO excited to hear her new album and for new generations to hear it as well! :D Just heard the new snippet of the new upbeat song, 'The Great Forever', sounds fabulous as a second single, after 'No Sleeep' (y) I'm noticing JJ's tactics of usually releasing down tempo songs first on her albums and then the more beaty songs as second singles. For example, on her 1993 album, janet., she released 'That's the Way Love Goes' first and then the rocky song, 'If', as a second single - just shows how Miss Jackson can build up the excitement :bow: Listen directly to the new snippet here on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DuBW4U-peU Praying she tours the UK!!! Fingers crossed! Love the MJ reference by J. Cole: 'Butterflies like MJ', in 'No Sleeep' rap - and Janet's tribute for that matter: https://33.media.tumblr.com/1eada9a6eb4ea4960dfdc36b6345788e/tumblr_ns2atdrPYB1u6lm6go1_400.gif

OCT. 2nd!

Unbreakable” leads off with Jackson’s hit single “No Sleeep.” The full track list is below:
  1. Unbreakable
  2. Burnitup! (Feat. Missy Elliott)
  3. Dammn Baby
  4. The Great Forever
  5. Shoulda Known Better
  6. After You Fall
  7. Broken Hearts Heal
  8. Night
  9. No Sleeep (Feat. J Cole)
  10. Dream Maker/Euphoria
  11. 2 B Loved
  12. Take me Away