Katherine Jackson - AEG lawsuit : NEWS Only (No discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anesthesiologist testifies Jackson wanted him to go on tour

Dr. David Adams is a Las Vegas anesthesiologist who had put Michael Jackson under four times for dental procedures. There were no complications, and the two had engaged in small talk.

Then on a Sunday in late March 2009, as he was getting ready to go to church, Adams received a call from someone he had never heard of, cardiologist Conrad Murray, Jackson’s personal physician.

Murray asked that he meet them in his office on East Flamingo Road. Murray would later be convicted of involuntary manslaughter for administering the fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol to Jackson in June 2009 to help him sleep.

Adams arrived first, he testified Wednesday in a video deposition in the wrongful death suit filed by Jackson’s mother and three children against AEG, the promoter of the singer's comeback concerts. Murray drove up soon after, with the singer sitting in the back seat.

Jackson was dressed in black, with a scarf, “and it was about a thousand degrees outside,” Adams said. He told the singer how ridiculous he looked.

They walked into Murray’s office and Jackson started talking about his planned comeback concerts in London. “He says, 'The only reason I’m doing this tour is because I want to prove to my kids that I’m the best entertainer in the world,' ” Adams recalled.

Jackson and Murray went to the back of the office for 15 minutes.

When they returned, “Murray really looked like he had just lost his best friend,” Adams said.

Jackson said he wanted Adams to go on tour with him. The anesthesiologist thought it was an odd request, since he couldn’t sing or dance.

Then, he testified, Jackson said, “I would like for you to help me get my rest.” That didn’t make sense to Adams. When Jackson told him that after all the action in his show he sometimes needed an IV, Adams told him that was Murray’s purview.

Neither Jackson nor Murray mentioned propofol or that the singer had difficulty sleeping, Adams testified.

Jackson said he wanted Adams to come to London with him but that they might take the show to other countries. He asked him how much money it would take for Adams to shut down his practice for a year.

“I still wasn’t under the impression I was going to be practicing medicine,” Adams said, adding that he wondered if his job would be to sing Jackson to sleep. “It was sort of mind-boggling that someone would be asking me to go anywhere.”

After the 2½- to 3-hour meeting, Adams went home to think about the proposition. He said he had three short conversations with Murray and told him he needed $100,000 a month for three years.

He sent a text to Murray, “What’s going on? I’m on board.”

He said he never heard from either of them again.

On June 24, Murray signed a contract that would pay him $150,000 a month to go on the “This Is It Tour.” Neither Jackson nor AEG signed. The next day the singer was dead.

Jackson’s family is suing AEG and three executives, saying that they negligently hired and supervised Murray. AEG says that the singer hired Murray and that any money the company was supposed to pay him was an advance to Jackson.

Re: Jacksons vs AEG - Day 74 - August 21 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 22m
Dr. Gordon testified MJ was familiar with Propofol and that's what he wanted to go to sleep.
Expand
A: Well, just his specificity about what he wanted and where he wanted it and how much he wanted, how he wanted it done.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 23m
Q: And how did he give you that impression?
Expand
"Well, he gave me the impression that he was used to telling doctors what he wanted them to do," Dr. Gordon said.
Expand
Dr. Gordon: Normally, we're paid in advance. We took his word that he would honor his financial responsibilities.
Expand
On Mar 25, 2003 Dr Gordon's office sent MJ's bill-paying-people copy of investment analysis. Doctor sent it twice since no payment was made
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 24m
Dr Gordon doesn't know if MJ asked whether Propofol, "milk", was going to be used. He didn't recall MJ asking for medication after 1st visit
Expand
"He just seemed to be more familiar with Propofol than other people," Dr. Gordon recalled. "He knew it was white and looked like milk."
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 25m
Dr. Gordon: He made the remark that it burned. And he actually referred to Propofol as milk, which I thought was a little unusual.
Expand
"Michael was a little bit of a whiner, having an IV started and about, you know, having Propofol injection," Dr. Gordon recalled.
Expand
"I thought he was healthy," he opined. "He was pretty robust. He was taller than I thought he would be. And he seemed physically healthy."
Expand
Dr Gordon said he remembered trying to speak w MJ after surgery, but it was difficult to get hold of him post-op. "He'd come then disappear"
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 26m
Kathryn Cahan said in court the parties stipulated there was no procedure done that day.
Expand
The doctor said this record could be for another person. "I'm a little embarrassed to admit that, but it could be another patient," he said.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 27m
There's anesthesia record but not surgery record. Dr. Gordon said he knew this would be difficult to explain.
Expand
"The only thing that makes me think this is MJ is because it has his name on it," Dr. Gordon said.
Expand
Propofol was used again as anesthesia. Dr. Gordon said he knew he'd have trouble explaining it. "I can't even tell you exactly what we did."
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 28m
Dr. Gordon: These might be longer than they really were only because there may have been conversation in the operating room for all I know.
Expand
The surgery was from 8:25 to 8:55, longer than the first one. "This was in his record, and it's got his name on it."
Expand
"It wouldn't surprise me if he came back 2 days later and wasn't happy with something," he explained. Dr. Habashi was the anesthesiologist.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 29m
Surgery was on Oct. 2, 2002 and next appointment was Oct. 4, 2002. Dr. Gordon said he does not remember this visit.
Expand
Dr. Gordon said MJ visited 2-3 days later. He wasn't really happy with the collagen injection. He said he had a very small injected again.
Expand
Dr. Gordon said the chart shows anesthesiologist doing his job from 9:00 to 9:20.
Expand
Under allergies, there are a few medications listed. Demerol and morphine cause nausea, it says.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 30m
Propofol was used in the induction of anesthesia in 2002, isoflurane, nitrous oxide and oxygen. Doctor also used Lidocaine to numb the skin.
Expand
Dr Gordon wrote on the chart that he examined the patient, MJ, and he was found to be in good health, no obvious contraindication to surgery
Expand
"The patient desired correction of an unattractive area in his nasolabial folds bilaterally," the chart said.
Expand
Prescription was under the name of Michael Jefferson. Dr Gordon said they were homeopathic medications: Arnica Montana, Bromelain, Vitamin A
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 31m
Putnam: How long was he there?
Dr. Gordon: Couple of hours, probably.
Expand
He said MJ requested to go under general anesthesia, was vey specific as to what he wanted.
Expand
Once MJ got into building, the entourage left. "He just wanted to have a little bit of collagen, nothing dramatic," Dr. Gordon explained.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 32m
"It didn't seem an unreasonable request," Dr. Gordon said.
Expand
Collagen was administered under general anesthesia. Gordon said MJ expressed needle phobia, didn't want 2 see needles sticking on his face
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 33m
First page of record was an agreement as to what will be done and what the itemizes charges for that service will be, including anesthesia
Expand
The Botox injection in Michael Jackson's lower eyelid area was for crow's feet, the doctor testified.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 34m
On October 2, 2002, Dr. Gordon did first procedure, collagen injection of upper nasolabial folds.
Expand
The doctor testified he doesn't recall exactly what MJ wanted done, but it was some adjustment of some sort on his face.
Expand
He said Dr. Virgil was there because MJ gave an indication he may wanted something done.
Expand
Dr. Gordon said MJ came with 2 or 3 people entourage. He said his ex-wife and anesthesiologist, Dr. Virgil, were in the office.
Expand
The doctor said MJ wanted to come after hours, when the office was closed and nobody was around, which doctor thought was a reasonable idea.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 35m
MJ told him to ask for Michael Jefferson. "I got the impression he was going to be interviewing me, as much as I might be interviewing him"
Expand
Dr. Gordon testified he asked MJ which hotel he was staying. He said Four Seasons. The doctor called the hotel back.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 36m
"It was very pleasant sort of flattering experience," Dr. Gordon said. The doctor said he didn't believe it was Michael Jackson on the phone
Expand
"At first I thought it was somebody playing a prank," Dr. Gordon said. "I really thought it was one of my friends just fooling around."
Expand
Dr. Gordon said Michael Jackson called him and the answering service transferred the call to his cell phone. This was in 2002.
Expand
Dr. Gordon said he does not tell the anesthesiologist how much drug to give.
Expand
Dr. Gordon: They have to get an UV started first. Then they're usually given some type of hypnotic that puts them to sleep, Diprivan.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 37m
Botox is generally done under local or no anesthesia, Dr. Gordon said. Filler usually has a local anesthetic component of some sort.
Expand
He said if the surgery is major, the patient is always under general anesthesia. Only for minor things it's local anesthesia.
Expand
The doctor has an accredited surgery center her performs the procedures called Surgery Unit at ACCSC, A Complete Cosmetic Surgery Center.
Expand
Dr. Gordon said he probably does more breast surgery than anything else, followed by body contour and facial rejuvenation.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 39m
Dr. Gordon does cosmetic surgery in his office, which is elective surgery intended to improve the appearance of a person.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 40m
Doctor said he teaches plastic surgery to medical students and physicians' assistants students from Touro University. That started 3 yrs ago
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 18h
Dr. Gordon detailed his education background and experience. He is board certified in general surgery and plastic surgery.
Expand
He said MJ chose to use this name to protect privacy. Dr. Gordon saw MJ professionally 3 times, never socially, spoke on phone maybe twice
Expand
He said his records are electronically saved. He located the "Michael Jefferson" file.
Expand
Video deposition ended. AEG played the next one, Dr. Stephen Gordon, plastic surgeon from Las Vegas.

ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 1m
"I felt that a successful cardiologist doesn't go around being somebody's personal physician and speaking for them," Dr. Gordon testified.
Expand
"It seemed something he was telling me wasn't true" Dr Gordon said. "It's fair to say the whole situation was very odd and didn't add up."
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 2m
"But if it he was that successful, why would he be someone personal physician?" Dr. Gordon questioned.
Expand
"He'd have me believe he had successful invasive cardiology practice in Las Vegas and Houston," Dr. Gordon said.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 3m
Dr. Gordon said he never heard of cardiologist Dr. Conrad Murray before, and he knows several other cardiologists in Las Vegas.
Expand
Dr. Gordon was kind of skeptical of Dr. Murray. "He just seemed odd. There was nothing usual and customary what he was doing."
Expand
The check to Dr. Gordon that Murray wrote was for $1,300.
Expand
"He said 300 mg was not excessive for him," Dr. Gordon testified. "He wasn't sufficiently nauseated that kept him from asking for it."
Expand
Regarding MJ requesting a shot of Demerol for the road, Dr. Gordon said MJ told him 'That's ok, I've done this before, it's fine'.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 4m
The anesthesiologist used Fentanyl since MJ reported getting nauseated with morphine and Demerol.
Expand
In the July 30th, 2003 procedure, Dr. Gordon said he removed scar tissue and whatever else was there subcutaneous.
Expand
It usually implies vein damage, he said. He doesn't remember seeing track marks on MJ's arms. He said it's unusual not to find vein in males
Expand
There were 3 contacts between 03-07. Every time was hard to find a vein in MJ, Dr. Gordon said. "Just absence of usable veins."
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 5m
Dr. Gordon doesn't recall whether MJ inquired with drug was going to be used to put him under.
Expand
It was Dr. Gordon's decision to use general anesthesia. He did not think it was inappropriate.
Expand
Dr. Gordon: He expressed he definitely wanted to do under general anesthesia since he didn't want to put up with many needle sticks.
Expand
He said he uses tricks so the patients don't get apprehensive with the procedure.
Expand
Dr. Gordon has an accredited surgery center. He never asked how many plastic surgeries MJ have had.
Expand
Dr. Gordon wanted to make more difficult to someone else, other than himself, to get their hands on MJ's records, used different last name.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 6m
The doctor said MJ looked healthy in 2007, didn't change much in his appearance. He never contacted MJ after that.
Expand
He said there wasn't really a doctor/patient because Dr. Murray was kind of the intermediary.
Expand
Dr. Gordon said he wasn't sure if MJ didn't remember being there before or pretending to not remember.
Expand
'He required a fair amount of codling," Dr. Gordon said. "At least he wanted to do under local anesthesia, which was a progress."
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 7m
"They might have been there for quite a while that day, fussing with the appearance," Dr. Gordon said.
Expand
Dr Gordon said he had a feeling that Murray was trying to wear two different hats, being MJ's personal physician and continuing his practice
Expand
Dr. Gordon: Because they had a very close relationship and Conrad made it very clear that he was taking care of his needs.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 8m
Dr. Gordon said he had never seen a personal physician pay for the treatment of a patient.
Expand
Dr. Murray wrote a personal check to Dr. Gordon for MJ's procedure. Murray was present during the procedure. He said it was unusual.
Expand
"He certainly tried to be the spokesperson for MJ. I never had a doctor feel like they needed to... this was a little different."
Expand
Dr. Gordon said he found very odd that MJ acted like he hadn't been at his office before, but it was not his first time.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 9m
Dr. Murray arrived with MJ at Dr. Gordon's office. "He walked in with MJ, introduced himself and were there for Juvederm," he said.
Expand
"He presented himself as being Mr.Jackson's personal physician and spokesperson to some extent" Dr. Gordon testified. It was on May 14, 2007
Expand
"He wasn't too secretive abut being a cardiologist or anything," Dr. Gordon said about Dr. Murray.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 10m
Dr. Gordon spoke with Conrad Murray. He said MJ was doing a show or something and wanted some more fillers on his face.
Expand
Dr. Gordon said it may have been a hand injury. Dr. Gordon referred him to Dr. Stephen Weiland.
Expand
The doctor said MJ reached out to see him but he was out of town and referred him to someone else. This was between 2003-2007.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 11m
Dr. Gordon prescribed some pain medication, but not Demerol. He didn't see MJ for 4 years, until 2007.
Expand
"I cut and looked at it and couldn't see anything," Dr. Gordon said.
Expand
"He said he could feel it it and it hurt," the doctor said. Dr. Gordon said reading the report it seemed someone did something to him.
Expand
Dr. Gordon had a preoperative procedure. MJ wanted him to explore "I remember him saying he he had injury," Dr. Gordon said.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 12m
"That's just too much," Dr. Gordon said. His impression was that favors like that has been done before.
Expand
He said the normal dose of Demerol s 100 mg. MJ was asking for 300 mg, the doctor explained.
Expand
Putnam: And he asked for a shot?
Dr. Gordon: Yes, he asked for a shot.
Expand
Demerol is a painkiller after surgery. "That's not something I prescribe," Dr. Gordon said. If patient is at the hospital, doctor said ok.
Expand
MJ wanted 300 mg of Demerol. The doctor said no, didn't hear from MJ for 4 years.
Expand
"He was getting ready to go and he said he wanted me to give me as shot of Demerol for the road" Dr Gordon said. "Michael I don't do that"
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 13m
"I cut around what was supposed to have a foreign body in it, which was presumed to be wound packing, which, again, I saw no evidence of."
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 14m
Dr. Gordon said he saw a small scar of some sort on MJ's abdomen. He performed this exploratory procedure and Botox on MJ.
Expand
"So as far as I could tell, it was a negative exploration," Dr. Gordon said. "It didn't show any material thing."
Expand
Dr. Gordon: There wasn't any glass, there wasn't any metal, there wasn't any wood. There wasn't anything that was inorganic.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 15m
Q: Did you remove anything from Mr. Jackson's abdomen?
A: I didn't remove any foreign body that I could recognize.
Expand
The surgery was under general anesthesia to cut out the whole thing and sewed the margins back together.
Expand
Dr Gordon: He believed that there was still some glass or some other foreign body in his abdomen. He said it was painful, wanted removed.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 16m
Dr. Gordon: MJ had claimed he had fallen and had sustained an injury to his abdominal area.
Expand
Back from twitter jail... Next MJ visit was on July 30, 2003. It was a procedure to explant foreign body from abdomen area.

Trial is taking a long weekend break. Session will be back only on Thursday of next week. Have a safe and great weekend everyone!
Expand
Sometimes Dr. Adams had to try 2-3 times to get an IV started, he said. And that concluded his video deposition.
Expand
Dr. Adams said he never saw needle marks on MJ's arms. "Very difficult veins to stick to," he said. "Very muscular arms, very small veins."
Expand
The day MJ died, he texted Murray, never heard back.
Q: Did MJ ever ask you to do anything you thought was medically inappropriate?
A: Never
Expand
He said he text Dr. Murray back asking what was going on and there was no response and no further communications at that point.
Expand
Dr. Adams asked for a 3 year contract, because he couldn't do it for just a year and then try to reopen his practice.
Expand
"I told them I needed enough money to shut my practice down and make it feasible," Dr. Adams recalled. "I think it was $100,000 a month."
Expand
Dr. Adams said they didn't know how long the tour was going to last, they thought it might go to other countries after London.
Expand
"I never discussed Propofol with Dr. Murray or Michael Jackson," Dr. Adams testified.
Expand
The doctor said Murray was truly upset with MJ's request. MJ asked that Dr. Adams didn't give an answer right away, think about it.
Expand
Dr. Adams said he had no idea what MJ meant by helping him get his rest. He said he told them he didn't have license to practice in England.
Expand
Dr. Adams: I'm thinking the guy's having a heart attack and they're asking me about going on tour. I couldn't even begin to fathom that
Expand
"Every once in a while I need an IV, and he said I just need you to help me get my rest."
Expand
"I'd like for you to help me get rest," Dr. Adams said Michael told him.
Expand
That's when MJ tells Adams he'd like him to go on tour with him. "And do what? I don't sing, I really can't dance so to do what?" he told MJ
Expand
"I go back to the office, MJ and Murray walk back in and Murray really looked like he had just lost his best friend," Dr. Adams said.
Expand
Dr. Adams described how Murray returned and was in the back of the office for 15 minutes talking to MJ.
Expand
"We talked about Steven Spielberg, Bono, the tour. He didn't have good things to say about those people either."
Expand
Dr. Adams said MJ told him he wanted to build a children's hospital. He talked about his family, kids, everything.
Expand
"And he was telling me a little bit about him and how he felt and his family and different entertainers, we talked about an hour and a half"
Expand
"He asked me to go on tour with him," Dr. Adams said. He explained Dr. Murray excused himself and MJ talked to him like an interview.
Expand
Dr. Adams: I'm sitting in a cardiologist's office with Michael Jackson on a Sunday afternoon, and I'm just sitting," Dr. Adams testified.
Expand
"I'm waiting for him to hold his chest or tell me he's short of breath or he's got chest pain," Dr. Adams said.
Expand
"And I'm not doing it for any other reason," MJ told him. Dr. Adams said he was wondering why MJ wanted to talk to him.
Expand
"He says the only reason I'm doing this tour is because I want to prove to my kids that I'm the best entertainer in the world," he recalled
Expand
Dr. Adams: We started talking and I believe Michael started talking about this tour. Michael explained why he was doing the tour.
Expand
Dr. Adams: Usuallyhe had a very relaxed look, maybe even pajamas, but this time he had on a suit coat, a scarf, a hat
Expand
Dr. Adams: I told Michael how ridiculous he looked because he had a scarf and he was all dressed in black and it was 1000 degrees outside.
Expand
This was at Dr. Murray's office. "Michael and Dr. Murray got out of the car, I got out of my car, we introduced ourselves to each other."
Expand
A: If you're having heart attack or heart problem, I'm a doctor. This is MJ. I mean, if he says he needs something I'm going to go.
Expand
Dr. Adams: I was up getting ready to go to church.
Q: And why did you go anyway?
Expand
Dr. Adams met Murray in late March, early April 2009. "After MJ died, I kind of went back through my mind and looked at what I was doing"
Expand
Dr. Adams said he never discussed with MJ the use of Propofol and never discussed about the other doctors MJ had.
Expand
The doctor said MJ told him Toradol wasn't going to work. Dr. Adams ended up giving MJ Versed an morphine for the pain.
Expand
Dr. Adams: And we had mentioned Toradol, which is a nonnarcotic pain reliever, and he requested something stronger.
Expand
Dr. Adams: After it was over, he asked for something for the pain, and I remember saying are you sure?
Expand
Dr. Adams: So if you looks at my records, you won't see any narcotics. I didn't give him any, as requested.
Expand
Dr. Adams: In the previous 3 procedures, Michael asked me not to give him narcotics. He just said he had had a problem w/ them in the past
Expand
The 4th procedure Dr. Adams performed was with oral surgeon Carlos Letilier. It was for screwing the 2 implants into MJ's jaw.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 17m
MJ said he was going to buy the house the sultan used to live. Dr. Adams said MJ was very pleasant, polite, personable and very quiet.
Expand
About 2 hours after the first procedure, MJ called to let Dr. Adams know he was ok. He said he was surprise MJ himself called.
Expand
Second procedure was 6/3/08. Third procedure was on 6/18/08. Dr. Odabashian performed root canal.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 18m
Dr. Adams said MJ was perfectly happy with what had happened. First procedure was to take impression of dental.
Expand
Dr. Adams said he's done about 4,000 anesthesias, including colonoscopy. In about 500 times the tongue blocks the airway.
Expand
The second procedure was a month later, also at Dr. Tradissi. Dr. Adams said it was pretty much the same procedure as before.
Expand
They had to position MJ in a different way in the dentist chair to unblock the airway. Other than that, there were no other issues he said
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 19m
There wasn't anything unusual about the first procedure, Dr. Adams said. When Dr Adams administered Propofol, MJ's tongue blocked the airway
Expand
He said he also didn't know what to say when asked for how much it would cost. He normally bills the insurance company about $400/hour.
Expand
Dr. Adams said he didn't bill MJ for any of the 4 procedures. He said if MJ referred Dr. Adams to other people would be more valuable.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 20m
Dr. Adams said the amounts of Propofol he gave was the lowest he gives to patients.
Expand
"I'm not trying to put him to sleep, I just want him not to remember," Dr Adams said. Dr Tradissi gave him anesthetic like Lidocaine as well
Expand
Dr. Adams gave MJ Propofol. "I want to get this procedure done as soon as possible because of the unprotected airway."
Expand
Temperature was steady at 97 F and stable all the way thru. 100 by 60 blood pressure. Procedure took about 2 hours.
Expand
Dr. Adams checked to see if there was a crash cart in the room, basic emergency equipment in case something goes wrong.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 21m
Dr. Adams said he explained all the risks to MJ. The artist said he wasn't taking any medication, only vitamins.
Expand
MJ had an abnormally large tongue, which concerned Dr. Adams because they were going to perform work on his mouth with an unprotected airway
Expand
He checked his chest, lungs and looked inside the mouth.

Q: How did he look?
"Thin but muscular, healthy" he said. "Just pale."
Expand
The entourage and bodyguards were never in the room when MJ was being examined. It was just Dr. Adams and MJ.
Expand
"He seemed thin, pale, but otherwise no medical problems," Dr. Adams said. "I don't believe they weighed him."
Expand
Dr. Tradissi introduced MJ to him. "He said he had them (anesthesia) before and he didn't have any problems."
Expand
Dr. Adams said MJ was going to have a procedure and didn't want to know about it or feel anything.
Expand
"I never discuss really the drugs I'm going to use with the doctor," Dr. Adams said. Propofol is still the drug of choice.
Expand
Dr. Tradissi scheduled the physical with MJ. "They were cosmetic implants, dental implants, had a root canal," Dr. Adams said.
Expand
"I realized the magnitude of who I was working with, I wanted to make sure he was healthy and there wouldn't be any problems" Dr Adams said
Expand
This was in June of 2008. Dr. Adams scheduled a physical exam and the procedure happened a week later, he said.
Expand
Dr. Mark Tadrissi said he had a VIP patient coming in for a few procedures and if he was interested in doing anesthesia.
Expand
Dr. Adams met MJ through Carlos Letilier, who's an oral surgeon in Vegas.
Expand
Putnam: Did you ever administer Propofol to MJ?
Dr. Adams: Yes
P: How many times?
Dr. A: Four
Expand
Dr. Adams is a anesthesiologist in Las Vegas. He works independently with surgeons or medical providers.
Expand
AEG called the next witness, Dr. David Adams. They also played his video deposition.

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 75 - August 27 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 75 - August 27 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Use this thread to post any and all news stories from day 75 of Katherine Jackson vs. AEG trial.

Daily news threads are merged into the main News thread in the stickies

Please help the staff by posting all the news stories as well as tweets from media you see.

Please Don't post updates or tweets from Fans in news thread

Re: Jacksons vs AEG - Day 75 - August 27 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

MJ was secretive about the amount of medication he was taking and kept that information from his doctors.
Expand
Dr. Levounis said MJ doctor shopped to keep his supply of medications when his doctors expressed concern with the amount he used.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
He testified the MJ was addicted to Opioids - in particular Demerol from 1993 to his death in 2009.
Expand
Dr. Petros Levouni the head of the Psychiatry Department at Rutgers Medical School in New Jersey is testifying. He is an addiction expert
Expand
It is Day 75 of testimony in the Jackson V AEG trial. No one from the Jackson family is here.

Now, people are diagnosed with substance use disorder!!! Testimony resumes Wednesday at 9:30a when Dr. Levounis will be first up.
Expand
The final point under cross was that addiction is no longer used as a term to diagnose because not specific and the negative connotation.
Expand
Dr. Levounis testified that one of the symptoms is secrecy and yet MJ announced to the world that he had an addiction and sought treatment.
Expand
Under Cross examination Dr. Levounis went over the time that he reviewed the materials sent to him for his expert testimony.
Expand
The close relationships made it easier for MJ to ask for medications and it is harder for the Doctors to say no.
Expand
The last point Dr. Levounis made is that MJ and several of his Doctors had very close friendships and that was a problem.
Expand
after the lunch break and a delay because of Juror 7 not feeling well, testimony resumed.
Expand
Finally, MJ couldn't stop despite the fact he knew he was damaging his health..the desire was too powerful.
Expand
MJ showed evidence of physical and social consequences - he passed out at a meeting and his brother Randy tried many times to intervene.
Expand
MJ tried to cut down on his drug use but relapses. In 1993 goes to rehab in England - evidence of demerol use in 2003 and in 2009
Expand
The Doctor testified that MJ was Doctor shopping - that if he couldn't get the medication he wanted he could go to another doctor.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 1h
The Doctor also testfied that MJ would take more than the dosage recommended and there was evidence he was renewing prescriptions often.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 1h
Dr Levounis testified the 5 criteria were 1. he show evidence of tolerance for Demerol so he took more.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 3h
MJ was secretive about the amount of medication he was taking and kept that information from his doctors.
Expand
Dr. Levounis said MJ doctor shopped to keep his supply of medications when his doctors expressed concern with the amount he used.
Expand
He testified the MJ was addicted to Opioids - in particular Demerol from 1993 to his death in 2009.
Expand
Dr. Petros Levouni the head of the Psychiatry Department at Rutgers Medical School in New Jersey is testifying. He is an addiction expert
Expand
It is Day 75 of testimony in the Jackson V AEG trial. No one from the Jackson family is here.

AEG expert: Michael Jackson was a drug addict
By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 9:12 PM EDT, Tue August 27, 2013
Katherine Jackson: Michael's mother, 82, was deposed for nine hours over three days by AEG Live lawyers. As the guardian of her son's three children, she is a plaintiff in the wrongful death lawsuit against the company that promoted Michael Jackson's comeback concerts. Katherine Jackson: Michael's mother, 82, was deposed for nine hours over three days by AEG Live lawyers. As the guardian of her son's three children, she is a plaintiff in the wrongful death lawsuit against the company that promoted Michael Jackson's comeback concerts.
HIDE CAPTION
Key players in Jackson wrongful death trial

>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The addiction expert was hired by AEG Live to boost its defense
Jackson's mom and children contend AEG Live is liable in the singer's death
AEG Live argues it could not have known about Jackson's propofol use

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Michael Jackson suffered a "quite extensive" drug addiction the last 15 years of his life, according to an addiction expert testifying Tuesday in the AEG Live wrongful death trial.
Lawyers for the concert promoter, accused of liability in Jackson's death, hired Dr. Petros Levounis to boost its defense argument that Jackson was so secretive about his addiction that its executives had no way of knowing the singer was in danger when he was preparing for his comeback concerts in 2009.
The conclusion was not a revelation, considering Jackson himself announced he was addicted to painkillers when he cut his "Dangerous" tour short to enter a rehab program in 1993.
"If he announced it to the world it's not very private, is it?" Jackson lawyer Michael Koskoff asked Levounis.
"At that moment, he was not secretive," Levounis replied.
Jackson's drugs of choice were opioids, painkillers given to him by doctors repairing scalp injuries suffered in a fire and during cosmetic procedures to make him look younger, Levounis testified.
Labeling Jackson an addict could tarnish the singer's image among jurors, but its relevance to AEG Live's liability is questionable. Opioids played no role in Jackson's death, according to the Los Angeles County coroner. His June 25, 2009, death was ruled a result of an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol.
Dr. Conrad Murray told investigators he infused the singer with propofol for 60 consecutive nights to treat his insomnia so he could rest for rehearsals. The judge would not allow Levounis to testify if he thought Jackson was addicted to propofol.
Jackson's mother and three children are suing AEG Live, contending the concert promoter is liable for his death because it negligently hired, retained or supervised Murray, who is serving a prison sentence for involuntary manslaughter.
Levounis, who returns to the stand for more testimony Wednesday, said addiction happens when a chemical "hijacks the pleasure-reward pathways" in your brain. "You remain addicted for the rest of your life," Levounis testified.
"Michael Jackson's addiction was quite extensive and I have very little doubt that his pleasure-reward pathways had been hijacked and he suffered from addiction," he said.
The Jackson lawyers have never disputed the singer's drug dependence. In fact, they contend that AEG Live executives, including one who was Jackson's tour manager when he entered rehab, were negligent for paying a doctor $150,000 a month just to treat Jackson. The high salary created a conflict for the debt-ridden Murray, making it difficult for him to say no to Jackson's demands for drugs.
Levounis' testimony about the dangers of a doctor being too friendly with an addicted patient, which he said Murray was, could help the Jacksons' case.
"A very close friendship between an addicted patient and a doctor is problematic," Levounis testified. "It makes it much easier for a patient to ask for drugs and it makes it more difficult for a provider to resist."
Tuesday was the 76th day of testimony in the trial, which is expected to conclude near the end of September.

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 76 & 77 - August 28 & 29 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 76 & 77 - August 28 &29 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Use this thread to post any and all news stories from day 76 & 77 of Katherine Jackson vs. AEG trial.

Please help the staff by posting all the news stories as well as tweets from media you see.

• ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts1h
    Dr. Levounis questioned by Jackson Attorney said there is no evidence MJ ever self injected Demerol. No evidence took drugs for a euphoria

The first hour had Dr. Levounis going over all the records of Dr. Conrad Murray had his treatment of MJ and his children back from 2009.

Expand
    It is Day 76 of Testimony with Addiction Expert Dr. Petros Levounis back on the stand. No member of the Jackson family is in the courtroom.

DOCTOR: JACKSON SOUGHT PROPOFOL LONG BEFORE DEATH
Aug. 28 7:41 PM EDT
You are here
Home » Michael Jackson » Doctor: Jackson sought propofol long before death

inShare
Tumblr
Michael Jackson

FILE - In this March 5, 2009 file photo, US singer Michael Jackson announces that he is set to play a series of comeback concerts at the London O2 Arena in July, which he announced at a press conference at the London O2 Arena. A Los Angeles jury heard testimony on Wednesday Aug. 21, 2013, from a Las Vegas plastic surgeon, who described Jackson as being familiar with the anesthetic propofol in 2002 and seemed like he was accustomed to favors from doctors, in the wrongful death trial in Los Angeles between Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, and concert giant AEG Live LLC. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson requested the anesthetic propofol to help him sleep at least a decade before he died from an overdose of the drug, a doctor testified Wednesday.

Dr. Christine Quinn said Jackson summoned her to a Beverly Hills hotel in 1998 or 1999 and asked her to give him propofol.

The request came after she met the entertainer while he was undergoing dental procedures. She said she refused the request and told Jackson it wasn't appropriate to use anesthesia as a sleep aid.

"I told him that the sleep you get with anesthesia is not real sleep, not restful sleep," Quinn said.

Jackson responded by saying his time under anesthesia was the best sleep he had ever had, she testified.

Jackson died in 2009 from an overdose of propofol that was administered in the singer's bedroom by Conrad Murray, who was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Quinn was testifying for the defense in a negligent hiring lawsuit filed by Jackson's mother against AEG Live LLC, the promoters of the singer's ill-fated comeback concerts. AEG denies it hired Murray.

Quinn said she gave Jackson anesthesia for procedures done after the meeting at the hotel. He never asked for propofol after the meeting or requested that he be kept under for longer than was medically necessary, she said.

AEG Live has called a number of Jackson's former doctors to testify.

One expert hired by the company, Dr. Petros Levounis, told jurors on Tuesday that Jackson exhibited signs that he was doctor shopping and trying to find medical practitioners who would give him opioid medications.

Attorneys for Jackson's mother have acknowledged the singer struggled with prescription medications but said he generally received anesthesia and medications during medical and dental procedures.

They rejected the characterization of Jackson as an addict.

___

Re: Jacksons vs AEG - Day 76 - August 28 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Anthony McCartney ?@mccartneyAP 8m
Dental anesthesiologist tells jury Michael Jackson sought propofol for sleep a decade before his death: http://bit.ly/16RUPoP
View summary Reply Retweet Favorite More
Anthony McCartney ?@mccartneyAP 21m
Trial will resume tomorrow morning at 9:45 a.m. PDT.
Lee will resume her testimony. It's a 1/2 day session tomorrow.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ?@mccartneyAP 22m
I'll have a story out shortly, and hopefully have some updates out later today.
Had tech difficulties earlier.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ?@mccartneyAP 24m
Quinn's testimony was relatively brief. After her, AEG called Cherilyn Lee, a nurse practitioner who testified at Murray's criminal trial.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ?@mccartneyAP 25m
We're done for the day in Jackson vs. AEG Live. After the lunch break, AEG called dental anesthesiologist Dr. Christine Quinn.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ?@mccartneyAP 4h
We're on the lunch break in Jackson vs AEG Live. Dr. Petros Levounis' testimony has concluded _ we'll get a new witness after the break.

DOCTOR: JACKSON SOUGHT PROPOFOL LONG BEFORE DEATH
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY
— Aug. 28 8:08 PM EDT
You are here
Home » Michael Jackson » Doctor: Jackson sought propofol long before death

inShare
Tumblr
Michael Jackson

FILE - In this March 5, 2009 file photo, US singer Michael Jackson announces that he is set to play a series of comeback concerts at the London O2 Arena in July, which he announced at a press conference at the London O2 Arena. A Los Angeles jury heard testimony on Wednesday Aug. 21, 2013, from a Las Vegas plastic surgeon, who described Jackson as being familiar with the anesthetic propofol in 2002 and seemed like he was accustomed to favors from doctors, in the wrongful death trial in Los Angeles between Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, and concert giant AEG Live LLC. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson requested the anesthetic propofol to help him sleep at least a decade before he died from an overdose of the drug, a doctor testified Wednesday.

Dr. Christine Quinn said Jackson summoned her to a Beverly Hills hotel in 1998 or 1999 and asked her to give him propofol.

The request came after she met the entertainer while he was undergoing dental procedures. She said she refused the request and told Jackson it wasn't appropriate to use anesthesia as a sleep aid.

"I told him that the sleep you get with anesthesia is not real sleep, not restful sleep," Quinn said.

Jackson responded by saying his time under anesthesia was the best sleep he had ever had, she testified.

Jackson died in 2009 from an overdose of propofol that was administered in the singer's bedroom by Conrad Murray, who was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Quinn was testifying for the defense in a negligent hiring lawsuit filed by Jackson's mother against AEG Live LLC, the promoters of the singer's ill-fated comeback concerts. AEG denies it hired Murray.

Quinn said she gave Jackson anesthesia for procedures done after the meeting at the hotel. He never asked for propofol after the meeting or requested that he be kept under for longer than was medically necessary, she said.

Jurors also heard Wednesday from Cherilyn Lee, a nurse practitioner who said Jackson said he needed propofol to help him sleep in April 2009, a little more than two months before his death. Lee said she warned Jackson that propofol was unsafe for home use and he might not wake up, but the singer insisted that doctors told him he would be fine as long as he was monitored.

"His demeanor was, 'I have to have this. I have to have this to sleep. You don't understand, I have not had a good night's sleep,'" Lee said.

Lee did not give propofol to Jackson.

AEG Live has called a number of Jackson's former doctors to testify.

One expert hired by the company, Dr. Petros Levounis, told jurors on Tuesday that Jackson exhibited signs that he was doctor shopping and trying to find medical practitioners who would give him opioid medications.

Attorneys for Jackson's mother have acknowledged the singer struggled with prescription medications but said he generally received anesthesia and medications during medical and dental procedures.

They rejected the characterization of Jackson as an addict.

Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 21s
Court will resume tomorrow at 9:45 a.m. PDT. Lee will be back on the stand for a half day session.
Story on today: http://bit.ly/16RUPoP
View summary
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 1m
Lee was composed within a few minutes of leaving the courtroom and said she would return and be OK for tomorrow's testimony
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 2m
By this point Lee had been taken out of the courtroom and was being comforted by her relatives in the hallway.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 3m
Palazuelos told Panish that if he wanted an admonishment, his team would have to write a brief to show it was appropriate.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 4m
Judge Yvette Palazuelos pointedly asked Panish what he wanted her to do.
Panish said Strong should be admonished.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 5m
Panish said it wasn't appropriate for a lawyer to comfort a witness while the jury was in the room.
He argued the point for several minutes
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 6m
At least a couple jurors were still walking out, and plaintiff's lawyer Brian Panish complained about Strong trying to comfort Lee.
Expand
Strong had been sitting in the audience, and she brought up two of Lee's relatives who had accompanied her to court.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 7m
"It is so unfair," Lee said. "I'm so tired."
At this point, AEG Live defense attorney Sabrina Strong went up to witness box.
Expand
Lee continued to talk and cry as the jury shuffled out of the room.
"I can’t do this anymore. I really can’t do this anymore," she said.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 8m
She said testifying was "so stressful for me because of what I have gone through."
Cahan suggested they recess and the judge agreed.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 9m
Her mother died, Lee said "because she believed her doctor."
She started bawling, at one point putting her head in her hands.
Expand
... about all the medications that she'd been prescribed. Lee said she told her mom that she couldn't take all those medication.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 10m
Lee started to break down, saying it was a difficult subject because her mother had died in 2010 and she'd tried to warn her (cont) ...
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 11m
Lee started talking about how all medications have side effects and how doctors tell patients that they'll be safe on certain medications.
Expand
She said Jackson kept telling her that doctors had told him he'd be safe as long as he was monitored. Lee said he wouldn't say which docs.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 12m
Lee recounted showing Jackson the specific side effects of propofol and asking him what would happen if he didn't wake up.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 13m
Lee was being asked by AEG Live defense attorney Kathryn Cahan about the April '09 meeting where Jackson asked for propofol.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 14m
Lee's testimony for the day ended on an emotional note. She broke down sobbing on the stand.
The judge excused the jury for the day.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 15m
Quinn was only on the stand for about an hour.
The court took a quick recess and Lee was called to testify.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 17m
Quinn said her sister stayed with Prince Jackson in one part of the hotel suite while she and Jackson went to another room to talk.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 18m
Quinn said she brought her sister to the meeting because she didn't feel it was "prudent" to go by herself.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 19m
Paris was born in April 1998. Quinn didn't see her _ the baby was in another part of the hotel suite where Jackson was staying.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 20m
Quinn didn't know the exact date of her meeting with Jackson, but said she knew Paris Jackson was an infant at the time.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 21m
The story covers a lot of the testimony from Lee and Quinn that didn't involve their background. A few additional details coming up...
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 23m
Updated story on Jackson vs AEG Live with some testimony from Cherilyn Lee: http://bit.ly/16RUPoP

Thursday Dr. Lee back on the stand under direct examination. Court starts at 9:30 for just a half day.
Expand
The Attorneys for Mrs. Jackson were upset with that telling the judge it was inappropriate in front of Jury. Judge said write a brief.
Expand
Testimony ended and Lee was in tears. As the last of the jurors were leaving the courtroom an AEG attorney got up to comfort the witness
Expand
At this point, a very upset Dr. Lee cries that it is the same with her mother who died in 2010 because mother believed doctors about chemo
Expand
She kept insisting to MJ and getting more and more upset in her testimony that it wasn't safe. He had been assured by his doctors its safe.
Expand
MJ kept insisting his Drs had told him it was safe as long as he was monitored and that all he wanted was a good night sleep.
Expand
Lee went to her office to get her Physicians Desk reference to show MJ the side effects of propofol use and only in medical setting.
Expand
She consulted a friend, a medical doctor, who told her it was an anesthetic used only in a medical setting.
Expand
On April 18th, MJ talked to Lee about Diprivan - the commercial name for Propofol. He told Lee he just needed a good night sleep
Expand
Testified that with her natural products MJ would only sleep about 5 hours a night. Continued to complain of fatigue.
Expand
He claimed he had some problems sleeping and for that he took Tylenol PM. Claimed he used Zanax, Atavan, and Ambien 12 years ago not since.
Expand
The paperwork had his name as David Mich and his chief complaint was fatigue in the middle of the day. Lee thought it might be red bull.
Expand
At the first consultation on Feb 1, 2009 she asked MJ about 200 questions including drug use where he said no, no smoking, and no alcohol.
Expand
Next witness is Dr. Cherilyn Lee - a Nurse Practitioner and Holistic healthcare practitioner. She treated MJ from February 2009 to April.
Expand
On cross examination she told the Jackson attorney that MJ's dentist used and anesthesiologist because of his anxiety.
Expand
She read about MJ's death from the propofol overdose in news accounts.
Expand
She remembered because there were paperazzi outside in the parking lot standing on their cars talking pictures of MJ when he got out of limo
Expand
she said it was no one's business. She continued to treat MJ with his dentist. The last appointment was February 2009
Expand
She said he never asked for propofol again from her. She never spoke about the encounter except in the deposition and in court today.
Expand
MJ told Dr. Quinn he had tried other remedies but nothing worked. She said propofol not for insomnia and not outside a medical setting.
Expand
She told him that anesthesia induced sleep is not restful sleep but he told her it was the best sleep he ever had.
Expand
She told him that was an inappropriate use of the anesthesia. He should talk to his doctor about the sleep problem.
Expand
After checking her notes, she said he did call it propofol. She said he asked her to administer propofol outside of a dental setting.
Expand
MJ told Dr. Quinn he was having trouble sleeping. Asked if he called Propofol by name, the Doctor needed to refresh her memory.
Expand
The meeting was brief. She and MJ stepped into another room to talk while Dr. Quinn's sister watched Prince who was about 2 years old.
Expand
She agreed to meet MJ at the hotel and brought her sister because she did not think it prudent to meet someone at a hotel suite.
Expand
Under cross examination she realized it was actually the Beverly hills hotel.
Expand
In her deposition she mis id's the hotel as the Bel Air Hotel. She called it the hotel on sunset today in court and the pink hotel.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 38m
She was told Mj did not return phone calls. Dr. Quinn finally did speak to him and set up a meeting at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 39m
She said in about 1998 (couldn't remember exact date) she received a call from MJ. She returned the call and spoke to his assistant.
Expand
She treated MJ about 10 times from 1997 to February 2009. She would administer the anesthesia for MJ's dentist because MJ had anxiety.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 42m
After Lunch Break Dr. Christine Quinn testifies. She is a Dental Anesthesiologist from UCLA scool of Dentistry.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 44m
On recross, Dr. Levounis was asked if MJ is an addict despite no drugs, no symptoms, no sign of use? Dr. say addict with no evidence..
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 47m
He said the term Addiction is widely used in the field.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 47m
Dr. Levounis also said that a person can be addicted to opiates without having to take them every few hours. Still have withdrawl symptoms
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 49m
Was anyone else? Yes, Dr. Klein.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 49m
After the morning Break, Dr. Levounis was asked about MJ opioid use in 2009. Was there any evidence Dr. Murray was giving MJ demerol? No
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 8h
Dr. Levounis questioned by Jackson Attorney said there is no evidence MJ ever self injected Demerol. No evidence took drugs for a euphoria.
Expand
The first hour had Dr. Levounis going over all the records of Dr. Conrad Murray had his treatment of MJ and his children back from 2009.
Expand
It is Day 76 of Testimony with Addiction Expert Dr. Petros Levounis back on the stand. No member of the Jackson family is in the courtroom.

urse details Michael Jackson's fatal search for sleep
By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 12:11 AM EDT, Thu August 29, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Nurse Cherilyn Lee testifies she warned Jackson about the dangers of propofol
"I remember telling him that it wasn't something he wanted to use at home," Lee testifies
'You don't understand, doctors are telling me it's safe," Jackson tells nurse
Jackson died of a propofol overdose two months after Lee refused to help him get it

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A nurse collapsed on the witness stand after describing her unsuccessful attempt to convince Michael Jackson not to use propofol to treat his insomnia.
"I can't do this anymore! I can't do this anymore," Cherilyn Lee cried at the end of Wednesday's testimony in trial to decide if concert promoter AEG Live is liable in Jackson's death. As she broke down, she was assisted by others in the courtroom including one of the lawyers.
Lee broke into tears after telling jurors that she believed people, including Jackson and her own mother, have died because they listened to bad advice from doctors who overprescribe drugs.
The certified nurse practitioner -- who specializes in holistic health care -- continues her testimony Thursday about trying to help Jackson in his desperate search for sleep in the last months of his life.
Jackson would have turned 55 on Thursday had he not died from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol on June 25, 2009.
The singer's mother and children are suing AEG Live, claiming the company that was promoting and producing his comeback tour negligently hired, retained or supervised Dr. Conrad Murray.
The company's lawyers argue Jackson chose and controlled Dr. Murray and that its executives had no way of knowing about the treatments he was giving that ultimately killed the pop icon.
Murray used propofol infusions to put Jackson to sleep each night for two months, beginning soon after Lee stopped treating the singer's insomnia with IV drips of a vitamin cocktail.
Lee began treating Jackson in his Los Angeles home on February 1, 2009 -- days after he signed a three-year contract with AEG Live for a world tour, which would start with 50 shows in London to debut in July.
"My concern was that he was drinking Red Bulls," she said. He drank several cans of the energy drink during their first meeting. "I was thinking his tiredness and fatigue was related to that."
Jackson "started to feel really great" and "looked healthier" after a month of her IV treatments of Vitamin C and other nutrients, she testified.
But he still couldn't sleep more than five hours a night and with rehearsals for his "This Is It" tour cranking up in April "he needed something a little more," she testified.
Jackson rejected her recommendation that he have a sleep specialist visit his home to study his insomnia -- or that he cut down the lights and music in his bedroom, she said.
Earlier testimony suggested that Jackson had already given up on Lee's methods and decided that propofol -- which German doctors had used to treat his insomnia during a 1997 tour -- could be his answer for rest.
Jackson and Dr. Murray tried to recruit a Las Vegas anesthesiologist to join them on the tour in late March 2009, according to Dr. David Adams' video testimony shown to jurors last week.
"I just need you to help me get my rest," Dr. Adams said Jackson told him. "They were pretty vague, but on hindsight I know what they were talking about."
Murray, not Adams, eventually took the job.
Jackson was apparently still looking for a doctor to give him the propofol when Lee visited his home the morning of April 19, 2009.
"He wasn't quite himself," she testified. "He just seemed really stressed or something. He said at certain points he was under a lot of pressure to finish rehearsals and he said 'I've got to get my sleep so I can do this.'"
Jackson told Lee he wanted her help in getting propofol infusions instead of the vitamin cocktail IVs, she said. Lee didn't know about the drug, so she looked it up in her Physician's Desk Reference manual.
"I remember telling him that it wasn't something he wanted to use at home," she said. "It wasn't a safe medication. It was definitely not a medication for insomnia."
Lee's handwritten notes from that day described their conversation: "I went as far as to say I understand you want a good night sleep -- want to be 'knocked out' -- but what if you don't wake up," she wrote. "He said 'I'll be ok. I only need someone to monitor me with equipment while I sleep.'"
Jackson "kept telling me 'You don't understand, doctors are telling me it's safe just as long as I am being monitored,'" Lee testified.
It was then that Lee collapsed on the witness stand. "It's so unfair," she cried. "I am so sick."
As Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos recessed court for the day and sent jurors out, AEG Live lawyer Sabrina Strong, who was sitting in the rear of the courtroom, ran to the witness stand to console the witness.
"That's not appropriate," Jackson lead lawyer Brian Panish protested. "Lawyers don't do that. It's not appropriate for lawyers to come out of the audience in front of the jury."
"Appropriate or not, it happened," Judge Palazuelos said.
Panish argued that Strong was trying to "curry favor" with the jury by appearing compassionate. He demanded that the judge admonish her in front of the jury. The judge suggested he put his request in writing for her to consider.
Jackson's belief that propofol could help him sleep dated back to the late 1990s, according to another witness who testified Wednesday.
Dr. Catherine Quinn, a dentist who specializes in giving anesthesia during dental procedures, said Jackson asked her to infuse him with propofol in 1998.
"He told me that he has trouble sleeping," Dr. Quinn testified.
"I said that's inappropriate use of anesthesia," Quinn said. "He needs to speak with his physician about sleep aids. I told him that the sleep that you get with anesthesia is not real sleep, it's not restful sleep. He told me that it's the best sleep he ever had."
A drug addiction expert who testified Tuesday that Michael Jackson suffered a "quite extensive" drug addiction acknowledged Wednesday there was no evidence the singer used more painkillers than medically necessary.
The conclusion by Dr. Petros Levounis that Jackson was dependent on painkillers was not a revelation, considering Jackson himself announced it when he cut his "Dangerous" tour short to enter a rehab program in 1993.
"If he announced it to the world it's not very private, is it?" Jackson lawyer Michael Koskoff asked Levounis.
Jackson's drugs of choice were opioids -- painkillers given to him by doctors repairing scalp injuries suffered in a fire and during cosmetic procedures to make him look younger, Levounis testified.
Labeling Jackson an addict could tarnish the singer's image among jurors, but its relevance to AEG Live's liability is questionable. Opioids played no role in Jackson's death, according to the Los Angeles County coroner. The judge would not allow Levounis to testify if he thought Jackson was addicted to propofol.
Levounis conceded he saw no evidence that Jackson used painkillers after he left rehab in 1993 until 2001 or between July 2003 and late 2008. He said it is not inconsistent for an addiction to go into remission.
Under cross examination Wednesday morning, Levounis conceded that he never saw evidence that Jackson injected himself with narcotics, ever sought or used illegal drugs such as cocaine, meth or heroin, or abused drugs to produce euphoria or get high.
There was also no evidence Jackson used more painkillers than doctors prescribed, he said.
Jackson lawyers have never disputed the singer's drug dependence. In fact, they contend that AEG Live executives, including one who was Jackson's tour manager when he entered rehab, were negligent for paying a doctor $150,000 a month just to treat Jackson. The high salary created a conflict for the debt-ridden Murray, making it difficult for him to say no to Jackson's demands for drugs.
Paul Gongaware, the AEG Live co-CEO who was in charge of Jackson's 2009 "This Is It" tour, was also tour manager for his "Dangerous" tour in 1993. Levounis acknowledged in testimony Wednesday that there was evidence that Gongaware knew about Jackson's painkiller addiction 15 years before his death.
Levounis' testimony about the dangers of a doctor being too friendly with an addicted patient, which he said Murray was, could help the Jacksons' case.
"A very close friendship between an addicted patient and a doctor is problematic," Levounis testified. "It makes it much easier for a patient to ask for drugs and it makes it more difficult for a provider to resist."
The medical records of Murray's treatment of Jackson between 2006 and 2008 -- when the singer lived in Las Vegas -- showed no painkillers prescribed during seven visits. Murray's notes did show he treated Jackson's complaints of insomnia with a sedative in 2008.
Wednesday was the 76th day of testimony in the trial, which is expected to conclude near the end of September.

Re: Jacksons vs AEG - Day 76 & 77 - August 28 & 29 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Nurse details Michael Jackson's fatal search for sleep
By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 7:24 PM EDT, Thu August 29, 2013
The death in 2009 of superstar Michael Jackson, who died of cardiac arrest at the age of 50, sent shockwaves around the world. The death in 2009 of superstar Michael Jackson, who died of cardiac arrest at the age of 50, sent shockwaves around the world.
HIDE CAPTION
Michael Jackson, King of Pop

>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Nurse Cherilyn Lee testifies she warned Jackson about the dangers of propofol
"I remember telling him that it wasn't something he wanted to use at home," Lee testifies
'You don't understand, doctors are telling me it's safe," Jackson tells nurse
Jackson died of a propofol overdose two months after Lee refused to help him get it

MIchael Jackson's ex-wife cries on stand Paris Jackson's deposition Compare Michael Jackson in 2001 to 2009
Who\'s who in Jackson trial Who's who in Jackson trial
Los Angeles (CNN) -- A nurse who tried to help Michael Jackson find sleep with vitamin infusions said the singer became convinced that propofol was the only cure for his insomnia.
Cherilyn Lee -- who specializes in holistic health care -- was called as a witness by AEG Live in its defense of the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Jackson's mother and children. But Jackson lawyers said they believe her testimony helped their case.
When she was shown a photo of Jackson six days before his death -- two months after she had last treated him -- she appeared shocked at his deterioration.
"Oh, my goodness," Lee said. "That's horrible!"
Lee testified Thursday that after Jackson awoke after just four hours of sleep after one of her treatments on April 19, 2009, he became "very agitated."
"He stood up on the bed and he looked at me and at 4:30 in the morning, it kind of scared me," Lee said. "It really startled me when he stared at me with his big brown eyes."
"I told you I cannot sleep all night," Lee said Jackson told her.
AEG expert: Jackson was a drug addict
Jackson allegedly asked Lee, who had been treating him with vitamins since early February, to find an anesthesiologist who could put him to sleep him with the surgical anesthetic propofol.
Lee refused, warning him it was unsafe. She testified that she told Jackson that any doctor who would give him propofol at home didn't care about him and was just doing it for the money.
That April 19, 2009, session was Lee's last time with Jackson.
Just over two weeks later -- on May 6 -- an AEG Live executive wrote in an e-mail that it was a "done deal" that Dr. Conrad Murray was being hired for $150,000 a month to serve as Jackson's full-time physician.
Murray told investigators that Jackson was infused with propofol every night for two months to treat his insomnia. The last treatment killed the singer, according to the coroner.
Jackson's mother and three children are suing AEG Live, contending the concert promoter is liable for his death because it negligently hired, retained or supervised Murray.
AEG Live lawyers contend it was Jackson who chose and controlled Murray and their executives had no way of knowing about the dangerous treatments being given in the privacy of Jackson's bedroom.
Lee's testimony concluded the 18th week of the wrongful death trial, which will continue into September.
She had glowing words for Jackson, who would have turned 55 on Thursday. "I haven't really met anyone who was so caring and so giving," she said.
"After his passing, a young lady walked up to me at an event and she just stared crying," Lee said. "She said, 'I wouldn't be here today if Michael hadn't come to the hospital and paid for my brain surgeries and he didn't want anyone to know.'"
Although called as a witness by AEG Live, Lee attacked their lawyers' contention that Jackson was "doctor shopping" for drugs. "All he was doing was looking for the best doctor to help with his insomnia," Lee said. "It just breaks my heart for people to label someone as doctor shopping when they're only trying to find the best doctor to give them the best care."
Jackson hired Lee to find natural treatments for his insomnia, she said. She began treating Jackson in his Los Angeles home on February 1, 2009, days after he signed a three-year contract with AEG Live for a world tour, which would start with 50 shows in London to debut in July.
"My concern was that he was drinking Red Bulls," she said. He drank several cans of the energy drink during their first meeting. "I was thinking his tiredness and fatigue was related to that."
"He told me whatever you tell me I need to do, I will do it." He stopped drinking cases of Red Bull, replacing the energy drinks with fresh organic juices, she said.
Jackson "started to feel really great" and "looked healthier" after a month of her IV treatments "Myers Cocktails," an infusion of Vitamin C and other nutrients, she testified.
But he still couldn't sleep more than five hours a night and with rehearsals for his "This Is It" tour cranking up in April "he needed something a little more," she testified.
Jackson rejected her recommendation that he have a sleep specialist visit his home to study his insomnia or that he cut down the lights and music in his bedroom, she said.
Earlier testimony suggested that Jackson had already given up on Lee's methods and decided that propofol, which German doctors had used to treat his insomnia during a 1997 tour, could be his answer for rest.
Jackson and Murray tried to recruit a Las Vegas anesthesiologist to join them on the tour in late March 2009, according to Dr. David Adams' video testimony shown to jurors last week.
"I just need you to help me get my rest," Adams said Jackson told him. "They were pretty vague, but on hindsight I know what they were talking about."
By April 19, Jackson "wasn't quite himself," Lee testified. "He just seemed really stressed or something. He said at certain points he was under a lot of pressure to finish rehearsals and he said 'I've got to get my sleep so I can do this.'"
When Jackson told Lee he wanted her help in getting propofol infusions instead of the vitamin cocktail IVs, she researched the drug in her Physicians' Desk Reference manual.
"I remember telling him that it wasn't something he wanted to use at home," she said. "It wasn't a safe medication. It was definitely not a medication for insomnia."
Lee's handwritten notes from that day described their conversation: "I went as far as to say I understand you want a good night sleep -- want to be 'knocked out' -- but what if you don't wake up," she wrote. "He said 'I'll be ok. I only need someone to monitor me with equipment while I sleep.'"
Jackson "kept telling me 'You don't understand, doctors are telling me it's safe just as long as I am being monitored,'" Lee testified.
Lee collapsed on the witness stand Wednesday after describing her unsuccessful attempt to convince Jackson not to use propofol. "It's so unfair," she cried. "I am so sick."
"I can't do this anymore! I can't do this anymore," Lee cried.
As Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos recessed court for the day and sent jurors out, AEG Live lawyer Sabrina Strong, who was sitting in the rear of the courtroom, ran to the witness stand to console the witness.
"That's not appropriate," Jackson lead lawyer Brian Panish protested. "Lawyers don't do that. It's not appropriate for lawyers to come out of the audience in front of the jury."
"Appropriate or not, it happened," Palazuelos said.
Panish argued that Strong was trying to "curry favor" with the jury by appearing compassionate. He demanded that the judge admonish her in front of the jury. The judge suggested he put his request in writing for her to consider.
Jackson's belief that propofol could help him sleep dated back to the late 1990s, according to another witness who testified Wednesday.
Dr. Catherine Quinn, a dentist who specializes in giving anesthesia during dental procedures, said Jackson asked her to infuse him with propofol in 1998.
"He told me that he has trouble sleeping," Quinn testified.
"I said that's inappropriate use of anesthesia," Quinn said. "He needs to speak with his physician about sleep aids. I told him that the sleep that you get with anesthesia is not real sleep, it's not restful sleep. He told me that it's the best sleep he ever had."
AEG Live expert: MJ was an addict
A drug addiction expert who testified Tuesday that Michael Jackson suffered a "quite extensive" drug addiction acknowledged Wednesday there was no evidence the singer used more painkillers than medically necessary.
The conclusion by Dr. Petros Levounis that Jackson was dependent on painkillers was not a revelation, considering Jackson himself announced it when he cut his "Dangerous" tour short to enter a rehab program in 1993.
Debbie Rowe: Paris 'has no life' since father's death
Jackson's drugs of choice were opioids -- painkillers given to him by doctors repairing scalp injuries suffered in a fire and during cosmetic procedures to make him look younger, Levounis testified.
Labeling Jackson an addict could tarnish the singer's image among jurors, but its relevance to AEG Live's liability is questionable. Opioids played no role in Jackson's death, according to the Los Angeles County coroner. The judge would not allow Levounis to testify if he thought Jackson was addicted to propofol.
Levounis conceded he saw no evidence that Jackson used painkillers after he left rehab in 1993 until 2001 or between July 2003 and late 2008. He said it is not inconsistent for an addiction to go into remission.
Under cross examination Wednesday morning, Levounis conceded that he never saw evidence that Jackson injected himself with narcotics, ever sought or used illegal drugs such as cocaine, meth or heroin, or abused drugs to produce euphoria or get high.
There was also no evidence Jackson used more painkillers than doctors prescribed, he said.
Jackson lawyers have never disputed the singer's drug dependence. In fact, they contend that AEG Live executives, including one who was Jackson's tour manager when he entered rehab, were negligent for paying a doctor $150,000 a month just to treat Jackson. The high salary created a conflict for the debt-ridden Murray, making it difficult for him to say no to Jackson's demands for drugs.
Paul Gongaware, the AEG Live co-CEO who was in charge of Jackson's 2009 "This Is It" tour, was also tour manager for his "Dangerous" tour in 1993. Levounis acknowledged in testimony Wednesday that there was evidence that Gongaware knew about Jackson's painkiller addiction 15 years before his death.
The medical records of Murray's treatment of Jackson between 2006 and 2008 -- when the singer lived in Las Vegas -- showed no painkillers prescribed during seven visits. Murray's notes did show he treated Jackson's complaints of insomnia with a sedative in 2008.

ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 5h
Testimony will continue next Tuesday at 9:45a.
Expand
Many of the supporters were going up to Glendale Forest Lawn where MJ is buried to celebrate his birthday today.
Expand
Dr. Lee finished her testimony shortly after 12 noon. She mingled with many of the Jackson supporters outside the court.
Expand
Dr. Lee wears a button that says she is so grateful that she attracts miracles. That is her mantra. MJ wrote it down as greatful.
Expand
Dr. Lee said if she were treating him she would be beyond concerned.
Expand
She was shown a picture of MJ days before he died where he looked very thin. She asked if they were sure it was him?
Expand
After MJ died, she heard so many terrible things about MJ drug use so she came forward.
Expand
And he hadn't had a good night's sleep. Dr. Lee gathered her things, MJ hugged her and she left. She never saw him again.
Expand
She told MJ that any Doctor that would do that would only do it for money. On April 19th he said it would not be a good day - long rehearsal
Expand
He did not tell Dr. Lee who gave it to him. He asked her to find someone who would give to him at the house. She said no
Expand
MJ said he was stressed because of rehearsal and had to get a full night sleep. He wanted Diprivan (propofol). Said he took it before.
Expand
She made a note in her medical records that March 24 was a very stressful day for MJ. She got to the house and there were many cars
Expand
MJ went to London for a press conference about his tour and when he came back he changed. He wasnt' as jovial.
Expand
She never saw evidence of another Doctor treating MJ. She never saw Dr. Murray.
Expand
She said from the time she started treating him January 28 to her last visit at the house early April 19 she never saw any medical equipment
Expand
MJ decided he would like her to treat him. She said MJ really wanted to be healthy. He followed her holistic plan and felt better.
Expand
She told the jury how impressed she was the the close relationship she had with the children. She said you could feel the love in the house
Expand
Under cross examination, Dr. Lee said she first met MJ on January 28, 2009 when she went to the house to see the children who had colds.
Expand
He said the other side of his body is warm. Dr. Lee told Security to take him to the hospital. He died 4 days later.
Expand
On Father's Day 2009 (June 21) she got a call from MJ's security person. She heard MJ in the back ground saying one side of his body is cold
Expand
MJ gave her a hug and escorted her Security who would take her home at that early hour. She never treated him again.
Expand
He was agitated about rehearsal and said he needed to sleep. He again assured Dr. Lee he had been told it was safe if he is monitored.
Expand
MJ stood up on the bed when he woke up. He just stared at Dr.Lee then went to the bathroom. When he came back he said he needed Diprivan.
Expand
On April 18th Dr. Lee stayed with MJ. He took the herbal medication to sleep at about 12:30a. He slept until about 4 or 4:30a.
Expand
MJ wanted to be knocked out quickly and other medications that Dr. Lee had took time to work.
Expand
She tried to convince MJ by saying what if he forgot his lyrics? MJ kept saying it was all that helped him sleep and he was told safe.
Expand
Dr. Lee brought the Physicians Desk Reference to MJ home to show him the side affects of Propofol. They include memory loss.
Expand
Dr Cherilyn Lee is back on the stand to resume direct testimony. She also apologized for being so emotional yesterday.
Expand
Testimony started about late because the judge forgot a document at her home and had to go get it. She apologized to the jury first thing.

Nurse Practitioner Testifies Jackson Asked For Propofol Months Before Death
August 29, 2013 5:34 PM

Share on email 1
View Comments
Filed Under

Entertainment, Local, News, Syndicated Local, Watch + Listen
Related Tags

AEG, AEG Live, Death of Michael Jackson, Jackson, Katherine Jackson, Michael Jackson, Murray, Propofol

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A nurse practitioner who treated Michael Jackson testified Thursday about the singer’s desire to use propofol in the months before he was administered a fatal overdose of the drug.

Cherilyn Lee told jurors Jackson was desperate for sleep on the last day she treated him for fatigue and insomnia in April 2009 while he was rehearsing for his ill-fated This Is It tour.

Lee testified she tried to convince him to stay away from the powerful anesthetic, also known as Diprivan, and the day she refused was the last day she worked for the late King of Pop.

“I said, ‘I understand what you want… You want to be knocked out to go to sleep but what if you don’t wake up,’” Lee testified she told Jackson.

“How did he respond to that?” AEG attorney Kathryn Cahan asked the witness.

“He continued to tell me… ‘You don’t understand… I will be safe as long as I’m monitored,” she said.

Lee testified Jackson asked her to stay to watch him sleep inside his bedroom in the his Carolwood mansion.

She testified he startled her when he suddenly stood up on top of the bed at 4:30 in the morning.

“(He) stared at me with those nice big round eyes… he said, ‘I told you I cannot sleep all night. All I need is something to sleep, I just need Diprivan to go to sleep,’” she testified Jackson pleaded.

“When I said it is only used by anesthesiologists (he said), ‘Why don’t you bring one, you can bring an anesthesiologist and you can come too… so I could be monitored.’ He wanted me to know that he was going to be safe,” she continued.

Lee testified she did not give propofol to Jackson, who died in June 2009 following an overdose of the drug administered by Dr. Conrad Murray.

Murray is currently serving a four-year sentence at a L.A. County jail following his 2011 conviction for involuntary manslaughter in Jackson’s death.

Katherine Jackson is suing AEG, the concert promoters of her son’s ill-fated This Is It comeback concert series, claiming executives were negligent in hiring and supervising Murray.

AEG denies any wrongdoing.

The firm’s lawyer, Marvin Putnam, told KCAL9′s Randy Paige outside of court Thursday using the drug was Jackson’s choice and denied the assertion AEG executives pushed him to do so.

“They’ve tried to say in their complaint and otherwise that Mr. Jackson was forced to take propofol by AEG Live and a doctor of their choosing… We see that’s not true,” Putnam said.

Jackson family attorney Ryan Panish disputed the claims in an interview with Paige.

“AEG agreed to pay Dr. Murray $150,000 a month. They didn’t have to do that. The only doctor that killed Michael Jackson or that he ever had any issue with the quality of the care was the doctor that met and spoke with AEG and their top principles,” Panish said.

Jackson would have turned 55 Thursday.

Re: Jacksons vs AEG - Day 76 & 77 - August 28 & 29 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/entertainment&id=9224486

Nurse says Michael Jackson wasn't a 'doctor shopper'
Thursday, August 29, 2013

TAGS:legal, celebrity, court case, entertainment, miriam hernandez
Comment NowEmailPrintReport a typo
ShareThis via email, AIM, social bookmarking and networking sites, etc.
Miriam Hernandez
More: Bio, Recent Stories, News Team
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There was a sad remembrance outside the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial on Thursday. It would have been the singer's 55th birthday.

Jackson's fans said thanks to Thursday's witness, who defended the star in court. Nurse and holistic health practitioner Cherilyn Lee told the jury that Jackson was not a doctor shopper and that he simply was seeking the best doctors. She said he was on board with her plan for organic treatments to help him sleep.

Yet Lee testified that after 20 visits to Jackson's house as rehearsals were beginning for his comeback concerts, the star's request changed. He wanted an anesthesiologist to give him propofol.

She recalled that he said, "You don't understand, I need something that will knock me out as soon as it dripped in my veins." She said it happened on April 19. She witnessed Jackson waking up at 4 a.m. She said he stood on his bed declaring, "I told you I cannot sleep all night."

She testified he was frantic. He said, "This is not going to be a good rehearsal day." That was the last time Jackson invited Lee to his home for an insomnia treatment.

The AEG defense says the incident fits a pattern.

"Michael Jackson befriends people, it goes well, and then when he asks them for something that they refuse to give him, he immediately cuts them out of his life," said defense attorney Marvin Putnam.

According to court evidence, Dr. Conrad Murray was already in place to deliver what Jackson demanded. He had ordered supplies of propofol even as Lee was giving Jackson vitamins.

Attorneys for Katherine Jackson claim in their lawsuit that Jackson demanded the anesthetic only because his concert promoters at AEG were pushing him.

"I think that the evidence supports that he tried to do the right thing, that he was continuing to be pressured, and he was in a tough situation. AEG knew he had a financial problem. They took advantage of that. They pressured him to come to rehearsals," said Jackson attorney Brian Panish.

Related Content
STORY: Jackson's history with propofol discussed
VIDEO: Murray wants to set Jackson record straight
VIDEO: Jackson trial looks at pressure put on Murray
STORY: Jackson trial: Debbie Rowe returns to stand
Jackson died from propofol intoxication while under the care of Murray. The physician was allegedly selected by Jackson but to be paid by AEG.

Lee testified that she had told Jackson that propofol was not safe to be administered at home. He was insistent that it could be done under a doctor's care.

The trial goes on break for the Labor Day weekend. When jurors return on Tuesday, they will hear new testimony from different doctors.

Jury hears about Michael Jackson's requests for anesthetic for sleep
Michael Jackson
FILE - In this May 28, 1997 file photo, U.S. entertainer Michael Jackson gives an autograph upon his arrival in the northern town of Bremen, where he will begin his Germany concert tour on May 31. (AP / Joerg Sarbach, File)

Share:

Text:

Share on print

Share on email

(0)
The Associated Press
Published Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:46PM EDT
LOS ANGELES -- A look at key moments this past week in the wrongful death trial in Los Angeles between Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, and concert giant AEG Live LLC, and what is expected at court in the week ahead:
THE CASE
Jackson's mother wants a jury to determine that the promoter of Jackson's planned comeback concerts didn't properly investigate Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter by a criminal jury for Jackson's June 2009 death. AEG's attorney says the case is about personal choice, namely Jackson's decision to have Murray serve as his doctor and give him doses of a powerful anesthetic as a sleep aid. Millions, possibly billions, of dollars are at stake.
WHAT HAPPENED THIS PAST WEEK
-- Dr. Christine Quinn, a dental anesthesiologist, described a meeting with Jackson at a Beverly Hills hotel in which the singer asked her to give him the anesthetic propofol to help him sleep. The meeting was in 1998 or 1999, a decade before Jackson died of a propofol overdose. Quinn refused the singer's request, but continued to treat him for dental procedures.
-- Dr. Petros Levounis, an expert paid by AEG Live, said he believed Jackson was addicted to opioid medications and exhibited signs that he was doctor shopping in the 1990s and 2000s.
-- Cherilyn Lee, a nurse practitioner, told jurors that Jackson requested propofol from her in April 2009. Lee said she warned Jackson that it wasn't safe to use propofol in a home setting, but the singer insisted that doctors told him it was safe and he needed to get sleep to prepare for his "This Is It" shows.
-- Outside the presence of the jury, the judge overseeing the case refused to allow lawyers for Jackson's mother to amend their lawsuit and add a negligence claim based on testimony presented during the trial.
WHAT THE JURY SAW
-- Lee break down in tears while testifying, likening Jackson's trust of doctors to her mother, who she said she warned about taking too many prescription medications and died three years ago.
-- Charts that accompanied Levounis' testimony that showed comments by Jackson's doctors on their close relationships with the singer and behaviour that he said supported his opinion that the pop star was addicted to opioid medications, had engaged in doctor shopping and was secretive about his medical care.
QUOTABLE MOMENTS
-- "I told him that the sleep you get with anesthesia is not real sleep, not restful sleep," Quinn said of Jackson.
-- "He kept saying, 'You don't understand. Doctors said it's OK,"' Lee recounted Jackson telling her when she warned him that using propofol in a home setting was dangerous.
WHAT'S NEXT
AEG Live will continue to present its case and is expected to present a final flurry of videotaped testimony from Jackson's doctors on Friday. AEG Live's lawyers will also argue that the case be dismissed on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...-anesthetic-for-sleep-1.1435155#ixzz2dZx7jbRH

I was unsure if this was posted.

Michael Jackson's mom remembers her 'sweet little boy'
By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 5:07 PM EDT, Thu August 29, 2013

The death in 2009 of superstar Michael Jackson, who died of cardiac arrest at the age of 50, sent shockwaves around the world. The death in 2009 of superstar Michael Jackson, who died of cardiac arrest at the age of 50, sent shockwaves around the world.
HIDE CAPTION
Michael Jackson, King of Pop

>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Katherine Jackson shared stories of her son's early days in testimony earlier in the trial
Michael's first public solo was "Climb Every Mountain" in a kindergarten program
"He sang it with such clarity and didn't miss -- not flat or anything," his mother says
Thursday would have been Michael Jackson's 55th birthday

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Michael Jackson's life began on August 29, 1958, as the seventh child in a family crowded into a tiny home in Gary, Indiana.
His mother remembers "a sweet little child" who showed unusual empathy for others and who was born to sing and dance.
Katherine Jackson, 83, shared intimate stories about her son's early days when she testified earlier in the trial of her lawsuit against AEG Live, the concert promoter she accuses of liability in his death four years ago.
Her lawyers are asking a juror to award Jackson's mother and three children at least $1.6 billion to replace the lost income they argue he would have earned touring the world if he had not died while preparing for his comeback concerts on June 25, 2009.
Jackson would have just completed a world tour of his "This Is It" shows and likely would have begun making movies with his children Prince, Paris and Blanket if he had lived to see this 55th birthday Thursday, according to testimony in the trial.
Michael Jackson's humble start as the son of a steel mill worker in a large family is a remarkable contrast to the pop icon who spent lavishly, but also set world records for giving to charity.
Their first home had just two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and a small utility room for the washing machine and freezer. Michael and his four older brothers slept in stacked bunk beds in one bedroom, the parents in the other, while the daughters slept in the living room, the Jackson matriarch testified in an earlier court session.
The mother made some of their clothes, watched newspapers ads for sales and visited the Salvation Army store for shoes. "We made it that way," living pay day to pay day, she said.
When father Joe Jackson was laid off from his steel mill job he would go out of the city to farms to pick vegetables that his wife would can and store. "Every year we would buy a quarter of a cow or half of a cow and keep it in the freezer," she said. "And that's how we survived."
Young Michael saved his "little pennies and nickels" to buy candy and cookies, but he wouldn't eat it all, his mother said. "He liked to play 'store man.' He would take it and put it and set up a little store, and all the kids in the neighborhood would come and buy from him, and he felt like he was the store man."
When older brother Marlon became ill, 3-year-old Michael held his hand and cried, she said.
Michael's musical talents were obvious at a very early age. "He was born that way," she said. "When all the kids were dancing around, he was in my arms, and he couldn't be still. He was dancing, too, to the music. And when he started to walk, he would still dance."
She's told the story of Michael's interaction to her "old, rickety washing machine, a Maytag."
"It would make a rhythm noise, like 'squeaky, squeaky, katum, katum,' something like that, and he would be down there dancing, sucking his bottle to the squeaking of the washer," she said. "And I knew he was going to be -- he just loved music, and he loved to dance."
The family's old television set helped bring the brothers together as a singing group, she said.
"Sometimes it would break down," his mother said. And sometimes they would not have money to get it repaired. "And that's when the children first started singing. We would sing together, sing old country songs, folk songs."
Michael was five when he joined his brothers in talent contests at local high schools. "They had got so that they won all the contests -- every time there was a contest," she said.
When their group needed a name for an advertisement, their mother came up with "The Jackson Brothers 5." But the woman who was writing the ad suggested she "cut that a little short and name it 'The Jackson 5,'" she said. "And I thought it sounded better."
Michael's first solo performance was when he sang "Climb Every Mountain" in a kindergarten program when he was five, she said. "I was so nervous when he walked out on the stage, because he was always shy. He started singing the song, and he sang it with such clarity and didn't miss -- not flat or anything."
His paternal grandfather, who was in the audience "cried like a baby, looked around, and I was crying, too," she said. "He got a standing ovation for his performance and he wasn't nervous. I was shocked. I think he must feel more at home on stage."
Older brother Jermaine was the Jackson 5's lead singer from the start, but their mother told her husband it should be Michael. "I told him Jermaine needed help, and I told him Michael could help him," she said. "He didn't believe me, so I forced him to listen. And that's how Michael got the job."
The boys rehearsed in their living room. "We would push all the furniture back on the walls, and they would dance and set up the drums and things and rehearse right there," she said.
Instead of moving to a larger house as the family grew, they used any extra money to buy musical instruments. Katherine Jackson made their performance costumes.
Michael was nine when Motown signed the Jackson 5 to a recording contract and moved the boys to California, she said,
While much is made about Michael Jackson missing out on a normal childhood because of the constant touring and recording, his mother's stories suggest he always found a way to have fun.
Jackson recorded the title song for the 1972 film "Ben" -- a story about a young boy and his rat friend."He liked that song because he liked rats," his mother said. "I can remember a story that we went to Beverly Hills to have dinner and we were eating. Michael kept pulling his coat up and putting crumbs into his pocket. I said 'What are you doing?' and he held it up and he had a rat in his pocket. He was feeding it. I was really upset with him."
Katherine Jackson was not in court Thursday to hear the day's testimony because she was in Gary for her son's birthday celebration.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/29/showbiz/michael-jackson-birthday/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 78 - September 3 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 78 - September 3 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Use this thread to post any and all news stories from day 78 of Katherine Jackson vs. AEG trial.

Jury Hears of Jackson's Friendships With Doctors
LOS ANGELES September 1, 2013 (AP)
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY AP Entertainment Writer
Associated Press
For Michael Jackson, a trip to the doctor's office sometimes wasn't just paying a visit to a health care provider. It was paying a visit to a trusted friend.

A jury has been hearing for weeks about the pop superstar's close relationship with many of his medical providers — spending Christmas with some doctors, inviting others to spend time at Neverland Ranch. His primary care doctor served as the best man at the singer's second wedding, to a woman who worked in his dermatologist's office and became a frequent companion on his medical visits.

Jackson's relationship with his final doctor, Conrad Murray, is important to the negligent hiring case, but in the process jurors are getting an inside look at celebrity health care — after-hours visits, house calls and false names on records and prescriptions — that are meant to preserve confidentiality but can present ethical challenges for doctors. They have also heard a detailed portrait of medical history, including painful burns and the skin conditions vitiligo and discoid lupus that led Jackson to feel he was disfigured.

Other practitioners have recounted stories of telling Jackson they wouldn't comply with his requests for painkillers or the powerful anesthetic that would kill him in his bedroom in 2009.

The parade of testimony from Jackson's doctors is central to the defense case being mounted by AEG Live LLC, the company promoting Jackson's ill-fated comeback concerts, which is being sued by the singer's mother. Katherine Jackson says the company hired Murray to help her son prepare for his "This Is It" shows. In the process, her attorneys say, AEG Live created a conflict of interest that compelled Murray to provide her son with the anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid in order to preserve his anticipated $150,000 a month payday.

AEG contends it is not liable for the superstar's death but that it was his own personal choices that led to his demise.

Stories the jurors have heard throughout the 18-week trial about Jackson and his doctors:

— Two of Jackson's doctors, Scott Saunders and William Van Valin II, went to Jackson's Neverland Ranch near Santa Barbara, according to testimony from Saunders. Saunders recounted how Jackson occasionally showed up at his home unannounced and sent him and his family Christmas presents one year. Saunders said Jackson would sometimes invite him out to Neverland and would ask him to stay longer so they could just talk.

— Jackson occasionally lived in the garage, converted into a guest room, of Dr. Alimorad Farshcian when the Miami physician was treating the singer from 2001 until 2003. Farshchian placed an implant in Jackson's abdomen to block the euphoric effects of opioid drugs so he would stop taking them. Farshcian said he traveled with Jackson and spent Christmas with him in 2002.

— Several witnesses who described Jackson's medical treatments said the singer required after-hours visits to avoid paparazzi scrutiny. His records were sometimes filed under the names Omar Arnold, Michael Jefferson or other aliases and prescriptions were also sometimes placed in false names to try to protect his privacy.

— Jackson's second wife, Debbie Rowe, worked for the singer's longtime dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein and would accompany the singer to many of his medical appointments throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Rowe said Jackson was intensely afraid of pain and required numerous procedures to treat his vitiligo and try to repair damage to his scalp after it was burned while filming a Pepsi commercial in 1984. When Rowe and Jackson married in Australia in 1996, another of the singer's physicians, Dr. Allan Metzger, served as their best man.

— Rowe said Klein and a now-retired plastic surgeon, Dr. Steven Hoefflin, competed with each other for who could give Jackson the best painkillers. Rowe said Jackson trusted his doctors. "Michael had a very low pain tolerance and his fear of pain was incredible," she said. "I think the doctors took advantage of him that way."

— Dental anesthesiologist Dr. Christine Quinn said in 1998 or 1999 Jackson summoned her to a Beverly Hills hotel and asked her to give him propofol to help him sleep. She said she refused.

— Dr. Gordon Sasaki, who tried to repair damage to Jackson's scalp in 2003, said he accepted the singer's invitation to go to Neverland Ranch after they met. Sasaki however refused to prescribe any more painkillers to Jackson after the singer requested Percocet three times in a short time span. Sasaki said he turned over Jackson's pain management to Klein.

— Dr. Stephen Gordon, a Las Vegas plastic surgeon, said Jackson requested that he give him a shot of the painkiller Demerol "for the road" after a procedure in 2003. Gordon refused and didn't see Jackson again for another four years, when he returned with Murray. Jackson acted as if he didn't know Gordon, the doctor said, and Murray took charge of the visit, driving Jackson to the office and paying for it when it was over. "There was nothing usual or customary about what he was doing," Gordon said of Murray.

Attorneys for Jackson's mother have acknowledged that Jackson struggled with painkillers throughout his life, but have said most of his prescriptions were tied to medical procedures. AEG Live's lawyers contend Jackson showed signs that he was doctor shopping, hid his addiction to painkillers and lied about his medical history.

A close relationship between a doctor and patients is not inherently wrong, said Arthur Caplan, the director of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center. He said it often occurs in small towns, and wealthy patients can sometimes afford to hire their own doctors. The problem occurs when the doctor's judgment is clouded and their treatment is affected.

"If you can't say no or stop, you probably are too far down the friendship highway," Caplan said.

Re: Jacksons vs AEG - Day 78 - September 3 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

One other note, before the Jury came in - Attorneys estimated testimony may wrap up by the end of next week!!!
Expand
Dr. Earley will be back on the stand this afternoon at 1:30p still under direct examination.
Expand
That is why there must be a medical setting with and Anesthesiologist monitoring. If breathing stops adjust dose and no harm to patient
Expand
He also talked about Propofol used properly in a medical setting. Small changes in the dose can one can go from unconscious to death.
Expand
On the Slide 3. Drug synergy between the propofol and other drugs he used. 4. Obstacles for a successful recovery.
Expand
He used a slide in court to show the 4 reasons he felt MJ was grave. 1. inappropriate use of propofol. 2. Opioid Addiction
Expand
And, the propofol was having negative effects on his life and on a medical scale of life expectancy he said MJ condition was grave.
Expand
Dr. said there was not enough evidence that MJ was addicted to propofol but he was seeking out doctors for the medication
Expand
Also in January 2013 Dr. Earley's status changed from consultant to AEG to an expert witness. Now he could review MJ's and court records.
Expand
The final draft was ready to be published in January 2013. Dr. Early Testified that AEG had no information of study conclusions.
Expand
CORRECTION - The budget was presented in the summer of 2012 for 6 months work. AEG Funded the project.
Expand
and propofol abuse. In the summer of 2012 he told AEG he would like to do a study. By October he had a budget of $53,000 that AEG funded
Expand
The judge allowed him to take the stand and the jury filed in at 10:53a. In the opening minutes - he talked about scant info on propofol
Expand
Dr. Earley was contacted by AEG because of research he had done on propofol while treating many medical professionals with addictions.
Expand
The witness was delayed for about an hour while attorneys for both sides aregued if he should be allowed to testify.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 38m
The first witness scheduled for AEG was Dr. Paul Earley, and addiction Medical Physician from Georg
Expand
Good Morning and welcome to Day 78 of testimony in the Jackson V AEG case. The Jackson family was not in court.

Earley said AEG Live agreed to pay for the study because there wasn’t a lot of literature about propofol addiction.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Earley said he had treated about 25 cases of propofol addiction during his 30-year career _ all were medical professionals.
Expand
Plaintiff's attorneys will be able to ask more questions about the article, including whether it poses a conflict of interest.
Expand
AEG wasn’t shown an advance copy of the article, which was published in March 2013 in a medical journal, Earley said.
Expand
Earley said in all, AEG paid about $53k for the study to get completed, including money to pay for a writer, statistician.
Expand
After he began testifying, AEG Live defense attorney Kathryn Cahan asked about the study and how much AEG Live paid for its completion.
Expand
AEG Live paid to have the study completed. Earley said he compiled some of the materials before his involvement in the case.
Expand
Earley published a study based on more than 20 case studies of people addicted to propofol (they were all medical professionals.)
Expand
One of the issues the lawyers argued about this morning was related to Dr. Earley’s testimony about a study he published on propofol.
Expand
A lot of these details will get fleshed out in the next couple of weeks. But clearly, the case is winding down.
Expand
The lawyers and the judge also have to decide how long each side will have for closing arguments. Closings may be 4 hours apiece, or less.
Expand
The attorneys have a fair amount of work to do on jury instructions and the verdict form before the end of the case.
Expand
There will be a rebuttal case, but it’s unclear how many witnesses will be called. Putnam said he may challenge some of the witnesses.
Expand
Putnam said he’s only got two or three more live witnesses but didn’t name them. Friday will be a day of video testimony.
Expand
It sounds like AEG Live’s case will be done by the end of next week at the latest. Defense attorney Marvin Putnam said it may be done sooner
Expand
Testimony got started late today because there were lengthy discussions about the next steps in the case and Earley’s testimony.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 22m
Some of Earley’s deposition was played early in the case by the plaintiffs, but he’s here today testifying as a defense expert.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 22m
We’re on the lunch break in Jackson vs AEG Live. Today’s witness is Dr. Paul Earley, an addiction medicine specialist. A few updates coming.

Around this time, the court recessed for the day. Boyle’s cross-examination will resume Wednesday at 9:45 a.m. PDT.
Expand
Boyle asked Earley how many medical journal articles are funded by concert promoters. Earley said he wasn’t aware of any others.
Expand
AEG apparently didn't inform Earley he would be called to testify until March 2013. Article was accepted for publication 2 months before.
Expand
It's important to note that Earley's discussion with his research partner would have come before AEG designated the doc as a trial witness.
Expand
The doctor said his partner didn’t express any concern about Earley’s role in the case or AEG Live’s payments to get the article done.
Expand
Earley said he told his research partner that he was doing research for AEG Live and may have mentioned it was a case.
Expand
Boyle questioned Earley on whether he told his research partner (another doctor) that he was being paid as an expert in a lawsuit.
Expand
He noted that the first page states the authors didn’t have a conflict of interest. Earley re-iterated he didn’t think one exists.
Expand
Boyle also showed the jury Earley’s article that was paid for using AEG Live’s support. The attorney asked several questions about it.
Expand
Earley said he wrote his blog in the hopes that the Jackson family would see it and use it to underscore the dangers of addiction.
Expand
... and asked Earley if he was really saying that with a straight face. That comment was stricken.
Expand
Earley said that his blog (still just a Google search away...) doesn’t imply that Jackson was an addict. Boyle was incredulous (cont) ...
Expand
For instance, Boyle asked if Earley was glad Mrs. Jackson wasn’t in the audience today. The question was stricken.
Expand
Several of Boyle’s questions and comments were stricken by the judge as argumentative throughout his 45-minutes of questioning.
Expand
Boyle then asked Earley to confirm that MJ found his propofol from “the doctor hired by AEG Live.” The question was immediately stricken.
Expand
Boyle asked if there was any evidence MJ asked for propofol after May 6.
“No evidence,” Earley said. “Sounds like he got it.”
Expand
... wrote that Conrad Murray’s deal was “done at $150k a month.”
That was a couple weeks after Jackson asked for propofol from Lee, Metzger
Expand
Boyle also used a modified timeline that AEG used during its examination, adding the date of May 6, 2009, when AEG exec Paul Gongaware ...
Expand
Boyle questioned if Earley had already made up his mind about Jackson before AEG called him to be an expert in the case.
The doctor said no
Expand
Earley wrote a blog post in 2009 titled, “Michael Jackson: Addiction in the Privileged.”
Boyle showed the post to the jury.
Expand
Boyle’s questioning was quite spirited _ he pointedly questioned Earley on AEG funding the propofol study and his writings on Jackson.
Expand
Cahan wrapped up her questioning shortly after the afternoon break, and plaintiff’s attorney Kevin Boyle took over cross-examination.
Expand
Giving opioids to an addict, Earley said, turns on a switch in their brains and makes it very difficult for them to refuse the drug.
Expand
For instance, Earley said when he had surgery, he had to explain to the doctor not to give him opioid medications.
Expand
The doctor said he is himself a recovering opioid addict, and that it was a challenge to keep the disease in check.
Expand
Earley told the jury he wasn’t “saying that it’s Mr. Jackson’s fault that he became addicted to drugs.”
Expand
“Unfortunately because of his pain related problems, he was re-exposed to the drugs over and over again,” Earley said.
Expand
However, Earley said he didn’t see evidence that Jackson had appropriate follow-up treatment for his addiction.
Expand
Earley was asked about Jackson’s opioid use, and he said Jackson had legitimate pain issues and that had to be considered.
Expand
Judge Yvette Palazuelos did limit Cahan’s questions to new topics _ she wouldn’t let her asked about opinions already given by other experts
Expand
Plaintiff’s attorney Brian Panish objected to several questions posed to Earley about propofol use, but judge allowed many of them.
Expand
Dr. Earley likened Jackson receiving propofol in his home to playing “Russian Roulette” each time he did it.
Expand
The doctor said there’s a higher risk of clots or embolism anytime a leg vein is used to administer a drug such as propofol.
Expand
Dr. Earley also said Jackson had a high risk for blood clots because, at least on the day he died, propofol was being given in a leg vein.
Expand
Jackson’s tongue could block his airway, as it did several times when Dr. David Adams gave Jackson propofol during dental procedures.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 24m
Earley said there were several risks to Jackson receiving propofol in his home, including his risk to stop breathing due his large tongue.
Expand
Dr. Van Valin’s testimony will likely be played on Friday, when AEG Live will play numerous videos of witness depositions.
Expand
Earley said this was evidence that Jackson had the drug. Van Valin refused, saying propofol was dangerous, according to the slides.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 25m
Dr. Earley said Dr. William Van Valin II testified that in 2002, Jackson brought him a box of propofol and asked him to give it to him.
Expand
... and two instances in 2009 from nurse practitioner Cherilyn Lee and Dr. Allan Metzger. (Van Valin hasn’t testified yet, FYI.)
Expand
The chart also included four times Jackson sought out propofol for sleep: in 98/99 from Dr. Christine Quinn, in 2002 from Dr. Van Valin ...
Expand
... that while that wasn’t an appropriate use of the medication, it was administered properly because of the supervision, equipment used.
Expand
One of the instances noted was the time Jackson received propofol in a German hotel room in 1997. Earley said one could argue (cont) ...
Expand
Throughout his testimony, Earley was shown a large timeline showing the various times MJ asked for or received propofol in non-med settings.
Expand
Cahan asked Earley if he thought AEG funding his study was a conflict of interest. The doctor said no.
Expand
After the lunch break, AEG Live defense attorney Kathryn Cahan asked Dr. Earley a few more questions about his AEG-funded study.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 26m
Earley reiterated that as long as the doctor knows what you’re taking and you’re monitored, receiving propofol is safe.
Expand
Propofol required 13 items for safe administration, versus a glass of water or a syringe for receiving opioid drugs.
Expand
Earley was shown a slide contrasting how people receive propofol versus how they take an opioid medication.
Expand
The doctor said with propofol, small changes in the dose can make a big difference in the impact on the person, so caution was necessary.
Expand
He said Jackson’s prognosis for survival was grave due to his drug use, including propofol and use of opioids, other medications.
Expand
Earley said he did believe that Michael Jackson’s life expectancy was reduced, but he couldn’t estimate by how much.
Expand
Earley said he couldn’t offer an opinion on whether Jackson was addicted to propofol, but he saw signs of abuse of the anesthetic.
Expand
Some additional updates today’s testimony coming up. Earley said despite AEG payments, he was giving an independent opinion.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 1h
I need to organize notes and will have some updates on Earley's testimony later. He'll likely be on the stand all day tomorrow.
Expand
AEG Live defense attorney Kathryn Cahan finished up her direct examination and plaintiff's attorney Kevin Boyle is doing cross-examination.
Expand
We're done for the day in Jackson vs. AEG Live. Dr. Paul Earley will be back on the stand tomorrow at 9:45 a.m. PDT.

ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 3m
Dr. Earley will be back on the stand facing more tough cross examination from Kevin Boyle at 9:30a Wednesday.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 3m
Dr. Earley continued to stress though under tough questioning that he was doing research for the law firm, not the MJ case.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 4m
The Law Firm agreed to fund it. He said he did not see the conflict or a disclosure problem because the subjects were in healthcare.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 5m
Dr. Earley told him there wasn't much written about propofol. The law firms need for information and how own curiosity got him to do study
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 7m
Earley was contacted by Mr. Punam at O'Melveny and Meyers because they wanted more information about Propofol addiction.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 8m
Dr. Earley was also questioned about the propofol study he conducted. He said he did not think it was a conflict of interest.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 10m
Dr. Earley claimed there were many terms in the addiction field that had bad connotations when it came to drug use.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 10m
He also wrote that because MJ was taking propofol - he wrote that they were mainlining at the Jackson home. Bad connotations
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 12m
Dr. Earley titles his blog MJ: Addiction in the Priviledged. Dr. Earley claims it was not written about MJ but used to open discussion.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 30m
Cross examination begins Jackson Attorney Kevin Boyle asks Dr. Early about a blog he wrote on his website several weeks after MJ died.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 32m
The propofol is not easy to get and not easily administered. He said although about 70% of addicts have insomnia propofol is not a cure
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 33m
Just after the afternoon break Dr. Earley said he is surprised when someone is addicted to both opioids and propofol.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 35m
Finally it was MJ's access to drugs with his relationships with doctors and his continued medical problems....
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 36m
secrecy - hard for celebrities to get into treatment and then have the support after rehab - continued pain and available prescriptions
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 37m
He outlined 7 factors obstacles MJ faced - duration of addiction - no evidence of him saying no to pain medication- failed attempts
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 38m
He spoke about his own battle with addiction 30 years ago and his medical license and the legal system became more important than drug
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 39m
Finally Dr. Earley talked about MJ addiction to opioids from 1993 until hs death. He did go to rehab in 1993 but there was no real follow
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 41m
He also talked about inexperienced administrator of the propofol with the iv in his leg that is greater risk for air bubbles to the lungs.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 43m
Earley saw the autopsy report. There was no sign of a breathing tube on his body or at his house.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 44m
Earley said the size of MJ's tongue also could play a role. He had a large tongue and with Propofol the tongue could cover wind pipe.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 47m
Finally, Dr. cherily Lee the morning of 4/10/2009 asked to find an anesthesiologist for MJ and she refused. Earley says he continued to seek
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 48m
The next exhibit showed a Propofol Timeline 1998 or 98 - Dr. Quinn asked and refused. Dr. Van Valin in 2002 or 2003 asked and refused.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 50m
That is when AEG sent Dr. Earley evidence to read in the Jackson case.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 51m
The research and the study were done by January 2009 when he was an AEG consultant. He became and expert Witness in Feb 2009. (ivy's note: this should be february 2013)
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 52m
He testifieno conflict of interest because he was doing research...on medical pros who were addicted to propofol not MJ or his case.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 54m
The Journal Editors questioned Dr. Earley who AEG Live was after the submission. He responded an entertaiment company he was doing work for
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 55m
The first version of his study was ready to submit the the medical journal in October 2012. The final version was 3 revisions later.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 57m
Even an Anesthesiologist can’t always control the dose themselves on themselves?  True.  They can be found blue on the floor.
Expand
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 58m
After Lunch, Direct Examination continues. Dr. Earley is asked about his work with propofol addiction with medical professionals.

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 79 - September 4 2013 - News Only (no discussion)

Michael Jackson had 'grave prognosis' after long-term addiction, witness says

By Alan Duke, CNN
September 4, 2013 -- Updated 1634 GMT (0034 HKT)

Los Angeles (CNN)
-- Michael Jackson's drug addiction gave him "a grave prognosis" for a long life, and each dose of an anesthetic his doctor gave him to help him sleep was like playing "Russian roulette," an addiction expert hired by AEG Live testified.

Lawyers for the concert promoter hired Dr. Paul Earley in their effort to downplay damages the company might have to pay if found liable in the pop icon's death.
But lawyers for Jackson's mother and children attacked Earley's credibility and independence, pointing to an online blog he wrote just three weeks after the singer's death. They argue it shows he concluded then that Jackson was addicted to the surgical anesthetic propofol.
Earley also accepted $53,000 from AEG Live to fund a study of propofol addiction, without disclosing to the study's publisher, his collaborator or readers that he was also being paid to help the company's defense lawyers in the wrongful death lawsuit, they argue.

MIchael Jackson's ex-wife cries on stand
Paris Jackson's depositiPrince Jackson testifies against AECompare Michael Jackson in 2001 to 200Jackson lawyer Kevin Boyle resumes his grilling of Earley on Wednesday, the trial's 79th day of testimony.
Jurors learned Tuesday that the end of the trial is approaching, with just a handful of witnesses left to hear. Closing arguments could be delivered around September 23, based on estimates lawyers for each side gave the judge. The trial began in April. The judge did not tell jurors that she is considering a plan to "partially sequester" them while they deliberate the case.
Katherine Jackson and her three grandchildren sued Michael Jackson's last concert promoter, contending the company is liable in his death because it hired, retained or supervised the doctor convicted of involuntary manslaughter.
Dr. Conrad Murray told investigators he gave Jackson infusions of propofol for 60 nights to treat his insomnia as the entertainer prepared for his comeback concerts. The coroner ruled his June 25, 2009, death was caused by an overdose of propofol.
AEG Live lawyers contend it was Jackson, not the promoter, who chose and controlled Murray, and say AEG executives had no way of knowing about the dangerous treatments the doctor was giving Jackson in the privacy of his bedroom.
Earley: Jackson went 'doctor shopping'
Despite his 2009 blog titled "Michael Jackson: Addiction in the Privileged," Earley testified Tuesday that there "was insufficient evidence that he was addicted to propofol."
"He was given propofol initially for appropriate medical procedures, but at some point he began seeking out physicians who would administer propofol to him," Earley testified.
The last two instances of "doctor shopping" for propofol were late March and April of 2009, when Jackson asked an anesthesiologist to go on tour with him and then asked a nurse to help him find an anesthesiologist, he said.
Earley said there was no evidence that Jackson's search for a doctor to give him propofol continued after AEG Live Co-CEO Paul Gongaware sent an e-mail to the singer's assistant on May 6, 2009, telling him Murray had agreed to take the job as his personal physician for the "This Is It" tour. "Done at $150k a month," Gongaware wrote.
"Sounds like he got it," Earley testified.
The Jackson family's lawyers contend that AEG Live executives ignored warning signs that Jackson's health began deteriorating after Murray began attending to him on a daily basis. Show workers sent e-mails describing a paranoid and frail Jackson who couldn't perform his standard dances or remember words to songs he had sung for decades.
A Harvard Medical School sleep expert, testifying in June for the Jacksons, concluded that the 60 nights of propofol infusions apparently robbed Jackson of REM -- rapid eye movement -- sleep, which is vital to keep the brain and body alive.
"The symptoms that Mr. Jackson was exhibiting were consistent with what someone might expect to see of someone suffering from total sleep deprivation over a chronic period," Dr. Charles Czeisler testified.
Jackson's mom remembers her 'sweet little boy'
MJ's 'grave prognosis'
Earley testified that Jackson was addicted to opioids -- painkillers given to him by doctors starting in the early 1990s when he was being treated for a painful scalp burn. That addiction, combined with his use of propofol, would have reduced his life expectancy if he had not died in 2009, Earley said.
Every time Jackson was given propofol was "like playing Russian roulette," Earley testified.
How much longer Jackson might have lived -- and earned money touring -- will be important if the jury decides AEG Live is liable for damages in Jackson's death. Jackson lawyers contend he would have earned more than $1.5 billion touring the world over the next several years.
Earley testified that Jackson's hopes of recovering were bleak because of his wealth and fame.
AEG expert: Jackson was a drug addict
Expert's conflict?
Soon after AEG Live's lawyers hired Earley as a consultant on propofol addiction in 2011, they agreed to fund his scientific research, which resulted in his paper titled "Addiction to Propofol: A Study of 22 Treatment Cases." The American Society of Addiction Medicine published the study in March 2013.
Earley insisted in his testimony that AEG Live's funding did not influence the conclusions of his study or his testimony in the trial.
But the Jackson lawyer hammered the doctor about the lack of disclosure to the scientific journal and his collaborator that he was being paid to be an expert witness in the trial. He informed them that he was doing research for the company, but the trial aspect was "irrelevant," Earley said.
"It's irrelevant to health care professionals," he said. "It wouldn't affect their understanding of the paper."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/04/showbiz/michael-jackson-death-trial/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

Use this thread to post any and all news stories from day 79 of Katherine Jackson vs. AEG trial.

---------------------------------------------------------------

ALL TWEETS VIA ABC7 COURT NEWS

The page with propofol had been torn out in a dramatic moment earlier in the trial. Laughs in the courtroom

During morning session DPR did not have propofol in the book. In the courtroom Boyle handed a note

One last from the morning session, according to Jackson attorney a common name for Propofol is "Milk of Amnesia" even in wikipedia!!!

PDR's are for General Practitioners not some specialized fields like Anesthesiologists or some cancer drugs.

Asked about the Physician Desk Reference (PDR) Earley checked and propofol was not in the book. Can't get drug with prescription.

He was almost homeless and had his medical license suspended. He was in treatment for 9 months and got clean.

Earley had overcome a drug addiction about 30 years ago. He was asked details. He used several drugs including oxycodone and heroin

When he posted blog did he ask AEG permission? No. Consult AEG? No After more AEG questions Earley exasperated said he was tired of this!

Asked about a line in the blog - another superstar going to oblivion - Earley said purpose of blog is talk about addiction.

At the time on the blog, Earley was an AEG consultant. He said the title had Addiction winning not MJ and Addict.

Earley wrote another blog on his website 12/5/2011 titled, Murray Convicted Addiction Wins. Despite title, says not saying MJ addict

As yesterday, he was questioned about the blog he wrote a few weeks after MJ died. He restated he did not characterize MJ as addict

He was asked if the 22 medical pros in the propofol study funded by AEG are still alive? Dr. Earley did not know. Wasn't part of study

He testified he was not trying to hide the AEG connection saying that was ridiculous.

Under tough questioning, he insisted that he did not have a conflict of interest as an AEG consultant with having AEG pay for the study.

Doyle asked if he had a copy of his manuscript? First he said yes, then realized he did not.

Dr. Earley said the published report had a different format so it was not on the front page of the report.

Questioned by Attorney Doyle Dr. Earley said the study was paid for by AEG and he disclosed that on the manuscript he submitted

Dr. Earley cross continued. The first item was the Propofol Study that he published at the beginning of 2013.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC7Courts

Both, technically, if it's granted. RT @ElephantinCourt: @mccartneyAP DISMISSAL MOTION of the trial or Jury?
View conversation
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 16m
.@Honeytania Unless he's a rebuttal witness. We haven't heard who those may be.
View conversation
His name hasn't come up lately. Seems unlikely he'll testify. RT @Honeytania: Do you know when Jermaine Jackson will be called to the stand?
View conversation
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 28m
Boyle asked about Earley’s payments on the case. The doctor estimated he’d been paid $80-90k on the case, not including his testimony.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 28m
By this point, Earley was already doing research for AEG Live, although the company hadn’t agreed to fund his study by then.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 29m
Boyle: “You were referring to Michael Jackson.”
“I was referring to the addiction problem, so the answer is no,” Earley said.
Expand
Earley said he hadn't made up his mind about Jackson and was merely trying to draw attention to the problem of addiction.
Expand
Boyle pressed Earley on his use of the term addiction, again asking whether he’d made up his mind about Jackson’s case by then.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 30m
Earley said he wrote the post to draw attention to an article written by friend and journalist William C. Moyers.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 31m
Boyle this morning also showed Earley a second blog post he wrote in Dec. 2011 that had the headline: “Murray Convicted -- Addiction Wins.”
Expand
Boyle questioned whether Earley’s blog posts on Michael Jackson violated those guidelines. Earley said he didn’t think they did.
Expand
... should only provide general information about addiction and not offer diagnosis on celebrities or other public figures.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 32m
Boyle also showed Earley the ethical guidelines of the American Society of Addiction Medicine, which state members ... (cont)
Expand
Dr. Earley said didn’t know and he couldn’t contact the people in the study due to medical privacy laws.
Expand
The journal article focused on case studies of 22 medical professionals who had propofol addiction. Boyle asked if they were all alive.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 33m
... on the article’s seventh page. Earley said he had no control over where the disclosure was listed, that was the journal’s decision.
Expand
Earley said he did disclose that AEG Live paid for the research funding as spelled out in the policy. AEG’s payments were listed ...(cont)
Expand
The policy states potential conflicts of interest should be disclosed on the cover sheet when the article is submitted.
Expand
Boyle then showed Earley the conflict of interest policy for the journal where the AEG-funded article ran.
Expand
Earley said he had written two or three peer-reviewed articles. He said some were published in European journals.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 34m
Boyle started out by asking Earley about his experience writing articles for medical publications and any conflicts of interest.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 36m
Today’s cross-examination by plaintiff’s attorney Kevin Boyle was a bit more subdued than yesterday’s but was still very pointed.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 36m
The attorneys will be in court tomorrow dealing with motions. A dismissal motion scheduled for tomorrow will now be heard Monday.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 37m
No other witnesses were called today. There’s no trial tomorrow, so the jury returns at 9:30 a.m. on Friday.
Expand
Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 37m
We’re done for the day in Jackson vs. AEG Live. Dr. Paul Earley wrapped up his testimony late in the court day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back