Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

This is regarding the I Have This Dream “demo” that is floating around on the net.

If my memory serves me right, and please correct me if I’m wrong, that version was simply made by a fan and serves as his contribution for the competition at that time where fans were suppose to sing their own version of the song and the best one would be featured on the song or something along those lines.

Original instrumental for the competition

Fan version/ winner of the competition

If my memory serves me right, and please correct me if I’m wrong, that version was simply made by a fan and serves as his contribution for the competition at that time where fans were suppose to sing their own version of the song and the best one would be featured on the song or something along those lines.

Damien Shields said he has listened to the MJ version and it's the exact same song as that demo.

Damien Shields said he has listened to the MJ version and it's the exact same song as that demo.
could it be that the purpose of the competition was that the MJ would record the winners song? I strongly remember something about a competition for this song and given that the instrumental is also floating around with bg vocals gives some credence to that claim but I still can just be mixing up stuff

Probably because they didn't want to?

It doesn't help they they probably legally can't. Or are dissuaded to, by the legal issues with Quincy.
But mostly they're just not trying to. John McClain seems like a producer in his own right. And he's been adapting songs in interesting ways, DYKWYCA made to sound like a Dangerous outtake, before that being discarded for the 2014 electro pop sound. BTM made to sound contemporary with other (mostly) 2000s songs. In a collection it basically did not belong on at all. Much as I love it. Near total outlier.

And then finally, ironic you say teddy since he produced 2/5 of Michael. Aside from 3/4 of those tracks being Casio, the other being Hollywood Tonight, Teddy just hated sounding old. He was annoyed About BOTDF sounding the same, 6 years after it was made. No way he'd be making New Jack Swing now. Styles have simply changed.
Even McClain's DYKWYCA didn't sound like a 'Dangerous' outtake imo, although at least it had a 90s feel.
And I think that is such a missed opportunity, they could have made a documentary like Spike Lee's for every album; showing how it was made/influences/technology of the era etc. whilst creating totally new albums emulating those era's. Quincy could even be in it, giving approval while being flattered for his original work. Too late now of course.

And I understand Teddy(or Quincy) not wanting to rework the demo's in their own former styles but I do feel someone had to do that; even 'Work That Body' could be enjoyable as a proper produced New Jack Swing-track. I think fans want the unreleased music to sound like the 'old' MJ, not some temporary-style remix

This is regarding the I Have This Dream “demo” that is floating around on the net.

That was a 2002 lyric-writing competition that didn’t accept or solicit full recordings. Independent artist Ric Kipp won and flew out to LA to further develop the track, but according to him, MJ never turned up and Carole Bayer Sager decided against using Kipp’s lyrics as they “weren’t up to our standards.” The only version of the song that bears Kipp’s name is the one @ChanceToDance posted—MJ never recorded it.

As for the demo, it’s far too complex and detailed to be a fan submission from 2002—two singers, one rapper, and a full choir? No way. My theory is that MJ had a session singer record the demo, which was then distributed to the participating artists. He’s done it before, and given that it took us well over a decade to identify it as the real deal, it seems like a sure fire way to stave attention away from leaks.

Isn't this the version of the person who won the competition?
That was a 2002 lyric-writing competition that didn’t accept or solicit full recordings. Independent artist Ric Kipp won and flew out to LA to further develop the track, but according to him, MJ never turned up and Carole Bayer Sager decided against using Kipp’s lyrics as they “weren’t up to our standards.” The only version of the song that bears Kipp’s name is the one @ChanceToDance posted—MJ never recorded it.

As for the demo, it’s far too complex and detailed to be a fan submission from 2002—two singers, one rapper, and a full choir? No way. My theory is that MJ had a session singer record the demo, which was then distributed to the participating artists. He’s done it before, and given that it took us well over a decade to identify it as the real deal, it seems like a sure fire way to stave attention away from leaks.
@ChanceToDance
Thank you for sharing that. Wow 2002. Damn I’m getting old.

@AlwaysThere
Thank you for clearing this up. I think you may be spot on regarding this.

And now to spice it up - who do you think is the singer?

Yeah TYLA is one of the best unreleased songs that is in the vault imo. GOAL might be my favorite unreleased song though since I became so obsessed with it recently lol. I really hope that the April 2009 mix is more complete than the version that leaked, it would be amazing to hear it finished or in a releasable state.

Tehres a bunch of leaks on yt of a 1991 version of work that body? Im guessing not real?

So with the way MJ worked, wouldn't a demo with a chorus, but no verses be kinda strange? Like, isn't it probable that he did a scratch demo (even with just mumbling)?
The 'Men In Black' demo, but also something like 'Deep In The Night', seem to be made based on existing verse melodies imho

Last edited:
So with the way MJ worked, wouldn't a demo with a chorus, but no verses be kinda strange? Like, isn't it probable that he did a scratch demo (even with just mumbling)?
The 'Men In Black' demo, but also something like 'Deep In The Night', seem to be made based on existing vocal melodies imho
Not at all. Per those who have heard and/or worked on these songs, the overwhelming majority of existing material only has chorus vocals. It’s possible that full scratch demos exist, but there are countless songs that never made it past the chorus.

The 'Men In Black' demo, but also something like 'Deep In The Night', seem to be made based on existing vocal melodies imho
This was standard for Michael. He said he would flesh out a full chorus and if he likes it, he will continue the song and if not, he'll scrap it. That's why a lot of his demos have a full chorus and mumbled verses

Not at all. Per those who have heard and/or worked on these songs, the overwhelming majority of existing material only has chorus vocals. It’s possible that full scratch demos exist, but there are countless songs that never made it past the chorus.
Oh I see, thanx. Is that also the case with songs written by himself? Since I was under the impression he hummed/sung/beatboxed most of the track (and the music parts) almost immediately on tape

This was standard for Michael. He said he would flesh out a full chorus and if he likes it, he will continue the song and if not, he'll scrap it. That's why a lot of his demos have a full chorus and mumbled verses
Yeah I expected there would be at leat some mumbling verses around for songs like MIB and DITN

So slightly off topic but what would you all think the verses for 'Deep In The Night' have sounded like? Such a different demo, maybe something like 'Liberian Girl' or 'Monkey Business'?

Yeah I expected there would be at leat some mumbling verses around for songs like MIB and DITN
songs like Got the Hots, Days in Gloucestershire, Throwing Your Life Away, Cheater, Who Do You Know, Serious Effect......verses are mumbled but the chorus is there

So slightly off topic but what would you all think the verses for 'Deep In The Night' have sounded like? Such a different demo, maybe something like 'Liberian Girl' or 'Monkey Business'?
I always imagined the song having a "werewolf" theme if that makes sense lol. Maybe it would have a similar vibe to Thriller.

Back