Let’s settle this once and for all: Destiny vs Triumph…..

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Blame It On The Boogie - Can You Feel It
Push Me Away - Lovely One
Things I Do For You - Your Ways
Shake Your Body - Everybody
Destiny - Heartbreak Hotel
Bless His Soul - Time Waits For No One (tied)
All Night Dancing - Walk Right Now
That’s What You Get For Being Polite - Give It Up

Results:
Destiny = 6p
Triumph = 1p

Commentary
I’ve always loved the Destiny album. I love it so much that I even put it higher than some of his solo albums. To me it’s a real masterpiece without any fillers. The thing is I didn’t except the outcome to be like this because I really like the triumph album as well. Maybe the sequencing makes this a bit unfair but oh well. Let me see your results

I don't agree with this at all. Don't pit two legends against one another. Like they can't coexist.

I love them both to death but I'll take triumph every day. Not a single dud on either.

Anyway, this should be in the Jackson's section.

I don't agree with this at all. Don't pit two legends against one another. Like they can't coexist.

I love them both to death but I'll take triumph every day. Not a single dud on either.

Anyway, this should be in the Jackson's section.
It’s not that deep. It’s just harmless fun

Push Me Away
- Lovely One
Shake Your Body
- Everybody

So that makes 6-3 victory for Destiny

I too love Destiny very much, despite some triumph tracks winning it really is no competition for me. I love the variety of the Destiny album alternating between pure disco and tracks with a seemingly personal meaning or message. The songs itself also have enough variety in sound to keep things interesting from start to finish. It is lyrically and sonically interesting, many of the tracks have a grand and epic feel while Triumph just feels like a dance floor filling album.

I’m not saying Triumph is a bad album, it is in itself also better than a fair few of Michael’s solo albums imo. TWFNO in itself is worthy to put the album on repeated listens.

To give some perspective here is my top 5

1 thriller
2 off the wall
3 destiny
4 got to be there
5 dangerous (purely based on nostalgic reasons to be fair). If I could ignore my childhood I would replace it with the live at the Forum album

Results:
Destiny = 6p
Triumph = 1p

Commentary
I’ve always loved the Destiny album. I love it so much that I even put it higher than some of his solo albums. To me it’s a real masterpiece without any fillers. The thing is I didn’t except the outcome to be like this because I really like the triumph album as well. Maybe the sequencing makes this a bit unfair but oh well. Let me see your results
*expect

I find the comparison model flawed. As it stands, the outcome is mostly random. To get a nuanced picture, every Destiny track must be compared to every Triumph track.

I'd say Walk Right Now was better. But yeah, doing it song by song in running order is a bit arbitrary.

Anyway, I'm gonna say what I always do. Posting a ranking on here doesn't mean anything. Go do it on a website where people will actually see it.

Triumph is officially better. If you don't like it, go ahead and vote.

Things I Do For You
- Your Ways
Bless His Soul - Time Waits For No One
That’s What You Get For Being Polite
- Give It Up

Destiny: 5
Triumph: 5

I'd say Walk Right Now was better. But yeah, doing it song by song in running order is a bit arbitrary.

Anyway, I'm gonna say what I always do. Posting a ranking on here doesn't mean anything. Go do it on a website where people will actually see it.

Triumph is officially better. If you don't like it, go ahead and vote.
Absolutely no one cares about Rate your music .

Great thread as always brother

Things I Do For You
- Your Ways
Bless His Soul - Time Waits For No One
That’s What You Get For Being Polite
- Give It Up

Destiny - 3
Triumph - 5

This is really tough, there's so many great songs on both records. Easily the best output from The Jacksons. You can see Michael coming into his own as a songwriter.

Shake Your Body vs Everybody was so tough, I love both. I went for Everybody because I prefer Shake Your Body live.
That's What You Get For Being Polite is so underrated by the way, nobody ever mentions that song

I don't want to compare both albums track by track, therefor I'll take a different approach.

There 17 songs in total on both albums. Out of this pool of songs I'll compile a single "best of" album.

(tracks are in random order)
  • Things I Do For You
  • Shake Your Body
  • That's What You Get For Being Polite
  • Lovely One
  • Heartbreak Hotel
  • Walk Right Now
  • Everybody
  • Your Ways

I don't want to compare both albums track by track, therefor I'll take a different approach.

There 17 songs in total on both albums. Out of this pool of songs I'll compile a single "best of" album.
my best of Destiny/Triumph:

1. Can You Feel It
2. Blame It On The Boogie
3. Things I Do For You
4. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)
5. Heartbreak Hotel
6. Time Waits For No One
7. Walk Right Now
8. That’s What You Get (For Being Polite)
9. Wondering Who

Another alternative way

Blame It On The Boogie 3/5
Push Me Away 5/5
Things I Do For You 3/5
Shake Your Body 5/5
Destiny 4/5
Bless His Soul 4/5
All Night Dancing 4/5
That’s What You Get For Being Polite 4/5

32/40

Can You Feel It 4/5
Lovely One 4/5
Your Ways 4/5
Everybody 4/5
Heartbreak Hotel 3/5
Time Waits For No One 5/5
Walk Right Now 3/5
Give It Up 3/5

30/40

Comparing this way the clear win I had based on feeling in my first post disappears a bit, Destiny still wins but the difference is more narrow.

Looks like most votes go to Tr(i)ump(h)
donald-trump.gif

Things I Do For You
- Your Ways
Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) - Everybody
Bless His Soul
- Time Waits For No One
That’s What You Get (For Being Polite) - Give It Up

Destiny is better. "Wondering Who" is alright, but it would have been much better if MJ sang on lead. There's absolutely no reason why Jackie had to take over for this song, which just amounts to a novelty. MJ is a better singer in every way; this should have at least been a duet between the two brothers.

Last edited:
"Wondering Who" is alright, but it would have been much better if MJ sang on lead.
Torture would have been a better song of Jackie sang lead instead of Jermaine funny enough.

This is the best version of Wondering Who.

Well, the site has 126 million ratings.

But if you wanna put more emphasis on a message board thread with 11 replies, then you go ahead.
I was a member there years ago. I find the users there overall to be elitist. Michael Jackson isn’t much liked over there.

Back