Live vocals underneath the playback from the HIStory Tour

Yikes.

Someone on here has insisted for years that those in power should use the mic feed vocals for a HIStory Tour film. I hope this serves as evidence for why this should never happen.
To be honest I would much prefer vocals like this then playback.

Munich 97 wasn't his best vocally. His vocals in WBSS were crap. I also don't understand why he was singing fully? He should've just used his "rehearsal voice" or just not have sang at all and let the playback do all the work. No one in the crowd would have been able to tell the difference.

Not all vocals are bad, I'd rather have live vocals than listen to the same album vocals over and over again, the ad-libs on Billie Jean at Hockenheim for example are pretty chilling

I can't believe the documentary is fan-made though, looking forward to it!

Even if it’s Munich, this is actually cool to hear, would be interesting to hear a fully live HWT show (the fact it exists is amazing). I‘m guessing Azura has the multi-tracks for this show. Looking forward to watching!

Yikes.

Someone on here has insisted for years that those in power should use the mic feed vocals for a HIStory Tour film. I hope this serves as evidence for why this should never happen.

It’s unlikely the mic feed vocals would be useable for a commercial release, as they were never meant to be heard and are probably off-key and half-assed, but they would still be more interesting than lip-synching.

Believe me, they're unlistenable from there, he sang over the playback without even listening to his voice. it's like singing with high volume music on your ears without listening to your voice and don't understand what are you singing.
That's actually a very good analogy.

playback vocals always bored me.
but i'd definitely rewatch HWT with those live vocals!

Reactions: ssj
Would like to hear Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, Heal the World - maybe even You Are Not Alone.

I'm curios why they recorded his vocals? - He knew the playback was on, so naturally he wasn't even trying to sing good, he just sang along so he at least moved the mouth correct to the lyrics. - But why was he recorded, did MJ know? Or was someone trying to make money on recording the "bad/raw" live vocals without MJ knowing?

Seems weird to me if MJ has requested that these bad live vocals underneath the play-back was recorded, what's the purpose?

Would like to hear Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, Heal the World - maybe even You Are Not Alone.

I'm curios why they recorded his vocals? - He knew the playback was on, so naturally he wasn't even trying to sing good, he just sang along so he at least moved the mouth correct to the lyrics. - But why was he recorded, did MJ know? Or was someone trying to make money on recording the "bad/raw" live vocals without MJ knowing?

Seems weird to me if MJ has requested that these bad live vocals underneath the play-back was recorded, what's the purpose?
These Things happen in case the playback fails. See Scream in Brunei.
As for the songs you said, I’m pretty sure we’re better off not hearing them lol

These Things happen in case the playback fails. See Scream in Brunei.
As for the songs you said, I’m pretty sure we’re better off not hearing them lol

I do understand why he sings underneath the playback - but why record the vocals? Even if playback fails, they can't use these bad/raw live vocals to anything.

Even though he just sings without caring about tune and hittig the right chords - I would still like to hear the vocals. - And to hear him "sing" song live he otherwise never performed live would be nice to hear, even though the vocals are not good.

I completely agree that playback is leagues beneath live vocals. But MJ’s live vocals were NOT up to par during this tour; even the “good” shows are still rather bad. I just don’t think this tour is salvageable.
There was nothing wrong with his vocals in the Nordic shows (Gothenburg, Helsinki, Reykjavik, Copenhagen etc) Sure it’s not his finest moments but the live vocals on those shows were not bad.

Last edited:
There was nothing wrong with his vocals in the Nordic shows (Gothenburg, Helsinki, Reykjavik, Copenhagen etc) Sure it’s not his finest moment but the love vocals on those shows were not bad
Agreed. He sounded quite good on a few shows. I like his vocals in Bucharest and Brunei also.

While that snippet sounded completely awful I think it still enhanced the performance. But listening to an entire concert of those kind of vocals would be extremely damaging for MJ so this better doesn't get uploaded on YouTube.
It would be extremely damaging for my ears as well

I never thought I'd say this, but if they release this I hope that they pitch correct his vocals.

Reactions: kai
Never thought I'd hear live vocals from this tour lol. This makes History tour way more interesting imo. Now if they did release this tour id prefer them mix some of the songs with the best live vocals.

Last edited:
You heard them? Where? Do you have more than what was posted here?
Judging by how the vocals that we already heard from the clip sound(aka horrible),I think we all can imagine that it would be just as painful to listen to other off-key vocals from this show and song too. Painful but interesting tho

Back