Live vocals underneath the playback from the HIStory Tour

People should be hanged for this
My word choice is slightly different but I also find it iffy. Michael probably wouldn't want anyone to hear this stuff... I admittedly have (it was in a video talking about it, but well, still) and all things considered it could've been a lot worse given the circumstances, but knowing the perfectionist Michael was... No wonder he mostly lip-synced during that tour. (I honestly mostly felt bad for him.)

On the other hand I can also understand that it's interesting to some people, but at the same time... If it hadn't been leaked, I would not have missed it. Maybe I'm sounding like a hypocrite since I still heard some clips (though not the entire thing), apologies in that case. 😬🤐

I haven't read the whole thread so i'm not sure if this has been discussed before,but anyways..

I think the reason he sounds soo different from previous tours other than the fact of him beein sick at the time and age is this:

The songs on history tour (that are playback) are all on the same tempo and key or even slower than tempo as the oroginal records. This is very important to notoce. What does this mean performance wise? MJ has to actually pronounce all the lyrics and words 100% when he sings them. Just like the records. No live artist ever does this. Thats why you have those subtle changes in arrangement and words being swalloed and left out, if that makes sense. For intance on Dangerous (and Bad and Victory) tour during BJ he would sing the song in a much faster tempo wich allowed attistic freedom upon delivery of the lyrics. The live lyrics often is half pronounced like "Peepa aways toad mee be cafa what u doo" Where as in History he has to actually sing the lyrics in the SAME tempo and pronounce the words 100% correctly. "People always told me, be careful what you do" to match the playback. IF he sang it with the same artistic freedom like dangerous tour it wouldnt match the playback.

Also I think MJ much rather sing under playback than mime the lyrics because of the feeling and emotion of him belting out actual voice. Giving a much more realistic performance for the Audien e.

For me personally when I put those two things together I can understand why he sound the way he does. Im sure if he chose to sing live during history tour with songs in a faster tempo and sing the lyrics the way he used to, it would habe sounded much better. Not like previous tours but better than under the playback. But than again he would have to dance faster, wich maybe explaines the reason why he chose playback.

@DangerousGal91

I heard flashes of all the tracks and it just hurt my ears, i’m not sadomasochistic enough to entertain myself with listening to that abomination.

What's funny is that with all the singing he did under the playback is that he probably sung more on this tour than what he did on his previous tours.

What's funny is that with all the singing he did under the playback is that he probably sung more on this tour than what he did on his previous tours.
He always sang under the playback in this manner. It wasn’t something which was particular to the Munich show or the HIStory Tour in general.

You can hear live vocals taken from the multitrack in the Wembley 1988 concert, e.g. the Smooth Criminal “I don’t know’s” or the “I’m asking him to change his ways” line in Man In The Mirror right before the first big spin.

Singing full out under the playback is something which is not out of the ordinary and which makes the whole illusion more believable.

Why is this being circulated around the fan forums? We know he was unwell, we know when well his voice was amazing, we saw the Bad Tour and heard the albums

Last edited:
You can hear live vocals taken from the multitrack in the Wembley 1988 concert, e.g. the Smooth Criminal “I don’t know’s” or the “I’m asking him to change his ways” line in Man In The Mirror right before the first big spin.
Side note: I love how Michael didn’t even lip-synch the last “that man”, instead singing the backing vocals parts (“no message could have been any clearer”). Haha!

These are some of the last "live" recordings we ever got of MJ. In the TII movie they used CD and demo versions of BJ and Thriller, so these are the most recent ones out there. And we never heard him sing BOTDF before, so this is understandably very interesting to many fans.

He always sang under the playback in this manner. It wasn’t something which was particular to the Munich show or the HIStory Tour in general.

Singing full out under the playback is something which is not out of the ordinary and which makes the whole illusion more believable.
I thought the “I don’t know”s was just the same vocal repeated three times.

Last edited:

What I meant was that on his previous tours there where times where he'd stop singing and let the backup singers take over. Like at 3:02 for this part of Billie Jean.

mindblowing live vocals. <3
clearly better than his PVC pipe vocals that he did during shower for Breaking News or Monster.

Back