Loving You - Original vs Remix (different take or edit)?

dethorro

Proud Member
There are quite a few differences in the way Michael sings Loving You on the original version compared to how he does it on the remix. Apart from some differences in the delivery (the line "if you're not well stay in bed" comes to mind), there are some notes which are held for a longer time e.g. "cause it's been cloudy all night".

Timbaland, when he made the remix, also decided to use the line "I'll stay home in bed", which can be heard at the end on the original version, instead of "I'll stay home instead", on the first verse as well. But, to me, it sounds like a different take, since the delivery is different.

I was wondering what you guys think, did they use different takes on some of these portions or did they simply use pitch correction and other effects in oder to give the vocal a different feel.

Yeah, I haven't listened to the demo in a bit but don't remember it being a different take. It's likely just the vocal processing they've put on the remix that makes it sound different.

I’d say it’s a bit of both. The first verse in particular has some subtle delivery differences, as OP outlined. But then again, the whole premise of XSCAPE was to choose songs Michael sang top-to-bottom, so it’s possible they made their own vocal comp.

But also, not only does the Timbaland version clean up some of the wavery pitch moments from the demo, it omits the key change entirely. So either Michael recorded a version in one consistent key, or Tim and co. shifted the vocals down a half-step.

The same happened with the line, “She’s only twelve years old,” in “Do You Know Where Your Children Are” Michael’s delivery on the leaked version and the Timbaland remix is totally different from the demo. It’s fascinating to hear different interpretations and inflections.

Loving You is part of the reason I still believe that the demo's on Xscape were let's say "purposely unpolished".

I don't believe that vocal comp is the one Michael was using when he was looking to resurrect the track after Invincible.

The vocal on the original version is still wonderful, but it does have imperfections, which if he sung "top to bottom, multiple times", I doubt would be there.

My belief is the estate left some of the demo's unpolished or even selected different versions, rather than the one Mike would have been working on, to make it seem as if they needed "finishing". Even some of the mastering of the original versions is suspect

Last edited:
Loving You is part of the reason I still believe that the demo's on Xscape were let's say "purposely unpolished".

I don't believe that vocal comp is the one Michael was using when he was looking to resurrect the track after Invincible.

The vocal on the original version is still wonderful, but it does have imperfections, which if he sung "top to bottom, multiple times", I doubt would be there.

My belief is the estate left some of the demo's unpolished or even selected different versions, rather than the one Mike would have been working on, to make it seem as if they needed "finishing". Even some of the mastering of the original versions is suspect
They definitely touched dykwyca because it's but the same as the leaked version

Where did you read that Michael was resurrecting this one? I never heard about it!
The song was brought back in 2003 and auctioned by Frank Cascio in 2014, but it's not known if it's a rework of the 1985 version or not. You can find the registration and the auction here:
https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/writer/2961801/JACKSON MICHAEL JOE?at=false&searchFilter=SVW&page=1

The same happened with the line, “She’s only twelve years old,” in “Do You Know Where Your Children Are” Michael’s delivery on the leaked version and the Timbaland remix is totally different from the demo. It’s fascinating to hear different interpretations and inflections.
The demo (aka original version) was recorded in 1986 at the Encino house, while the 2014 remix as well as the 2010 leak were created from the 1989/90 recordings.

The song was brought back in 2003 and auctioned by Frank Cascio in 2014, but it's not known if it's a rework of the 1985 version or not. You can find the registration and the auction here:
https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/writer/2961801/JACKSON MICHAEL JOE?at=false&searchFilter=SVW&page=1
Iirc correctly that's not the same song? The Cascio auction was unrelated to MJ and was just an instrumental or something.

Last edited:

According to Damien Shields, this song has nothing in common with the original Loving You from 1985.

The track being auctioned is completely unrelated to the song on the Xscape album, which was never worked on again after being mixed by Matt Forger at Jackson’s Hayvenhurst studio prior to the Bad album sessions.
The music on the discs was composed by Brad Buxer in 2003, who worked with Frank Cascio in an attempt to embellish the track. In his spare time Buxer often worked with Jackson’s friends on their own personal music ideas and projects. He even helped the King of Pop’s personal driver, Gary, record songs. When working on “Lovin You,” Buxer recorded Cascio attempting to perform a series of beat box sounds, moans and finger snaps as he tried to come up with something that could be applied to the track before presenting it to Jackson. While these appear deep in the layers of the multi-track session files, they were not included when Buxer exported the track and saved it to his hard drive.

Iirc correctly that's not the same song? The Cascio auction was unrelated to MJ and was just an instrumental or something.
I read that it is the version that they worked on, it's just that the sounds Frank Cascio put on the track weren't included.

Where did you read that Michael was resurrecting this one? I never heard about it!
I thought it was the same song that was spoken about in 2003 and I'm sure it was on one of his lists in his room before Michael passed? I'm just guessing there though mate

I read that it is the version that they worked on, it's just that the sounds Frank Cascio put on the track weren't included.

From the quote above we can conclude that it's unrelated and was composed in 2003 by Brad Buxer. Was just a song they wanted present to MJ it seems.

Love Never Felt So Good is far more unfinished than Loving You, so your point is valid, if completely obvious.

They picked "Original Versions" based off some of the earliest takes, not merely just the last finished state of the song. And two of the 8 songs were distinctly one and done takes MJ may have altered musically as well. But they were sang through so I guess they count as top to bottom, if not multiple times.

Back