Man In The Mirror sells OVER 30 million copies worldwide

I dunno if it really has sold 45,000,000 copies. I've literally only seen the Estate mention it once in a press release for Bad 25, and now once again in that documentary trailer. And then on top of that, Sony/Epic have issued those trophies to Siedah Garrett etc recently and they all mention 30,000,000+ copies.

15,000,000 records is a HUGGEEEEE difference and given no-one else, not even Sony/Epic are backing up that statistic, I am admittedly skeptical. Personally? I imagine it's think in the mid-late 30s.

Its true that "Sony/Epic have issued those trophies to Siedah Garrett etc recently and they all mention 30,000,000+ copies",
BUT

as you all can see, the plague(s) clearly state(s):
".....more than 30 million copies worldwide of the Epic records SINGLE, CASSETTE AND COMPACT DISK...."

That could imply that it is dated somewhere to the pre-digital era = before at least 2005, because there is NO mention and use the words - DIGITAL or DOWNLOAD

If this plague was issued before MJ died, the overall sales in 2016 can be easly more than 45 million..... of SINGLE, CASSETTE, COMPACT DISK AND DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

I do remember during the HIStory era promo, I read in various mags that BAD had sold 30 million copies. It was 20 years ago.
Its really and highly probable that BAD has sold 40+ million copies yet.

AND YOU CAN SEE THE MEGA DIFFERENCE IN SALES FOR BAD AND DANGEROUS = "more than 32 million copies worldwide of the Epic records SINGLE, CASSETTE AND COMPACT DISK..."

SidBag.jpg

So I do believe the plaques are dated to the predigital era, and the numbers of the sales are HIGHER, especially after 2009... to these days, more than 50M albums and 50M singles have been sold since 2009.... by the MJ Estate/Sony

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't really buy your theory.

I don't believe that plaques is only inclusive of the sales of the listed formats. I mean where is vinyl? I would be surprised if that didn't account for 10 million+ or something sales of the Bad vinyl. Even going by digital downloads, why would they ignore sales on one of the strongest formats for almost half of Bad's album life? I imagine it has sold a good few million digitally since 2003. It really doesn't make sense. So I don't think it's failing to include digital downloads because by (most of) your logic, it would also have to be ignoring vinyl sales of the album which it isn't. The plaque does say "more than 30 million" so I'm guessing the exact number, according to Epic, is from 30-40 million. I really think it's just a more fancier, longer way to say album/singles.

So yes, I'm still merely skeptical of the 45,000,000 number... but I do not think it's impossible. While their plaque does allow for an interpretation of anywhere in the 30 million range, I still find it weird that Epic Records have not represented such a number on plaque which they surely spent thousands on and they would surely have access to all the sources that the Estate does. I think another main problem for me is that I've only seen the Estate say it in the 4 years since that figure was released. I think if the number is true, then the Estate should get the statistic verified with the various certification agencies around the world (assuming they don't automatically track sales of catalogue albums...? I dunno). Something like that.

--------

On a sidenote, I'm really no longer one to really give a damn about how many albums MJ has sold. I do have my own theories on how much his albums have sold, but MJ's legacy is forever cemented and some changes in album sales now won't change any of that (it's the same reason why I'm not worried about Rihanna overtaking MJ's #1 singles record). Regardless of how many albums Bad has sold, be it 30, 35 or 45 million albums, I still consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and (imho) MJ's second best album after Dangerous.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't really buy your theory.

Ok, but I would like to know what the date of the released plagues is!
Thats the point imo, because we can see the two plagues - for BAD and for Dangerous, and the one for D. states that Dangerous sold 32+M copies.... which is more than for BAD.

So... I really want to know the date of the released/promoted plagues. to compare/to estimate the sales the rest years up to 2016...

Did anyone catch the BET Honors on Tuesday night? 3-15-16.

Jussie Smollett of EMPIRE fame, gave a great and very moving performance of MAN IN THE MIRROR.
Parts of which gave me goose bumps. I've been trying to find a video of it to post but I can't seem to find one....
not even on BET's website. Not yet anyway.

A little off topic but not really.

Back