Many unreleased songs???

Hot_Street

Proud Member
July 2, 2009
'There are dozens and dozens of songs that did not end up on his albums,' said Mr Tommy Mottola, who from 1998 to 2003 was chairman and CEO of Sony Music, which owns the distribution rights to Jackson's music. 'People will be hearing a lot of that unreleased material for the first time ever. There's just some genius and brilliance in there.' The releases, Mr Mottola said, 'could go on for years and years - even more than Elvis.'
giphy.webp

Last edited:
Tommy Mottola apparently stated that in order to hype up anticipation for Michael Jackson's new posthumous releases.

But the reality is that Michael Jackson did not leave many unreleased songs (in a releasable state of completion) given several facts, for example:

Since the singer's death and during a period of 15 years, they released only 2 new posthumous albums (with previously unreleased songs).

They also stated few years ago (via Rob Stringer, who is Sony Music's CEO) that their aim is to release one-off songs (i.e., singles).

Rob Stringer justified that by saying that we live in a streaming/track-based world and that strategy works better.

Also, Michael Jackson (when he was alive) was a guy who did not use to keep his shelved songs in an organized way and many of them simply were later lost.

That was the whole fraud of the Michael album imo. Sony and everyone involved knew the Cascio tracks were fake. But if the public would accept these songs as real, then Sony could profit temendously and release (so called) unreleased MJ songs "for years and years to come" while an imposter actually recorded them all the whole.
Luckily this backfired.
"MJ sang through a pipe, that's why he sounded different"- yeah right!

Maybe a too philosopical side-question, but what should be the prime goal of an estate? To preserve and share a legacy I would say?

Not one project seems to be totally made out of love tbh, there is always a lot of commercial strategies behind them. I would say that they should be working on continuing and preserving his legacy in the best way possible even if they don't make any money out of it. Thoughts?

Maybe a too philosopical side-question, but what should be the prime goal of an estate? To preserve and share a legacy I would say?

Not one project seems to be totally made out of love tbh, there is always a lot of commercial strategies behind them. I would say that they should be working on continuing and preserving his legacy in the best way possible even if they don't make any money out of it. Thoughts?
One way would be boxsets with demo versions, that give an insight into the creation process of his music. Record companies of other artists don't earn much from this because demand is low. Here is an example:

I don't know about the "many," but the way "Don't Matter To Me" vocals popped up randomly in a Drake song seemed real disrespectful. And do suggest there's more stuff we don't know about.

I'm sure they do have more unreleased stuff, but there's something off about the way they release them and gatekeep them.

They also didn't try to restore/finish the demo's in a style according to their respectful era's, so weird imo. Use the synths from the right era, call in the musicians that worked with MJ or whatever. Release the demo's in an appropriate way so they even give some insight in what they would have sound like, their relation to other work, how much they were finished or what MJ' idea was etc.

I don't care about Timbaland, Timberlake and Drake

One way would be boxsets with demo versions, that give an insight into the creation process of his music. Record companies of other artists don't earn much from this because demand is low. Here is an example:
Exactly! Who cares about the demand, making money shouldn't be an object for an estate

That was the whole fraud of the Michael album imo. Sony and everyone involved knew the Cascio tracks were fake. But if the public would accept these songs as real, then Sony could profit temendously and release (so called) unreleased MJ songs "for years and years to come" while an imposter actually recorded them all the whole.
Luckily this backfired.
"MJ sang through a pipe, that's why he sounded different"- yeah right!
In a meeting with Michael Prince and Sony, Teddy Riley was asked about his duty on the album. His response: "To make the music sound like Michael".

It's been said that Teddy was always extremely skeptical of the vocals and just worked on them because he wanted to get paid and hoped he would get a legitimate track to work on, which ended up happening when he was given Hollywood Tonight.

Pretty much everyone else who Sony asked said the same thing and were ultimately totally ignored and the tracks were released anyway.

My personal opinion is that they released them because they had spent money on them and didn't want to have wasted it

How many songs were unreleased at the time of his death?

This Is It
She’s Out of My Life (Demo)
Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ (Demo)
Beat It (Demo)
Hold My Hand
Hollywood Tonight
Best of Joy
(I Can’t Make It) Another Day
Behind the Mask
Much Too Soon
Don’t Be Messin’ ’Round
I'm So Blue
Abortion Papers
Free
Price of Fame
Al Capone
Love Never Felt So Good
She Was Lovin' Me
Loving You
A Place with No Name
Slave to the Rhythm
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Blue Gangsta
Xscape
Don’t Matter to Me
Starlight
Who Do You Know
Behind the Mask (Mike's Mix)
The Toy (Demo)
What a Lovely Way to Go (Demo)
She's Trouble

Last edited:
How many songs were unreleased at the time of his death? I'm collecting...

October 2009:
Sony exec Rob Stringer, who oversees the Epic label, admits that there is a whole stack of unreleased Jackson material, most of it stored in a random way making it hard to ascertain just how much material there is, and when things were recorded.

Speaking about ‘This Is It’, Stringer told the Times: “It was titled ‘This Is It’. It was in a box, and we listened to it… We probably have at least 100 songs in varying degrees of being finished. And we think there probably is a lot more. We haven’t gone into the archive to search it properly yet. It’s just too complicated to do that”.

Well I guess that might be why the very slow trickle. But I just doubt there's much quality in there.

I'm not sure why we keep making different unreleased song threads...

But I guess if there's no Lotfi it's okay.

Well I guess that might be why the very slow trickle. But I just doubt there's much quality in there.
I think every artists unheard songs are the most interesting. It's always the ultimate gauge of their talent to me. Why expect "Quality" though, like that's the purpose of it. You only mean Hits.

It's art regardless.

It's been said that Teddy was always extremely skeptical of the vocals and just worked on them because he wanted to get paid and hoped he would get a legitimate track to work on, which ended up happening when he was given Hollywood Tonight.

Pretty much everyone else who Sony asked said the same thing and were ultimately totally ignored and the tracks were released anyway.

My personal opinion is that they released them because they had spent money on them and didn't want to have wasted it
I don’t blame him either. It’s 100% Sony’s fault. As a music producer, sometimes you gotta take the job or else you won’t have money to eat. His contract might also have prevented him from speaking negatively about the project as well.

Back