Maybe we are getting something soon??

When did they say that? And also they've done something similar to Sunset Driver and The Toy, so why not do the same for the Paul Anka songs?

Continually, articles are made with the stance that they're 83. I made a whole thread about this myself. Only Damien Shields says otherwise.

The earliest sessions for Thriller weren’t until late 1981; the Anka songs are more appropriately labeled Triumph era.
That's still extremely close to Thriller era. Besides there are songs on the album that dates as far back as the OTW days so the Paul Anka songs wouldn't exactly be misplaced.

Continually, articles are made with the stance that they're 83. I made a whole thread about this myself. Only Damien Shields says otherwise.
That's a common misconception, it's literally on the copyright registry that the date of creation is 1980. The songs were registered in 1983.

And also the Estate could come up with a story (like they did with certain songs) to make it a valid inclusion without backpedalling on the dates the gave, say that it was written in 1980 but it was recorded in 1983.

"This song was co-written by Michael and Paul Anka in 1980 and was briefly considered for 'Thriller' album before being revisited in 1983. Although it didn't make the cut it was ultimately released as a duet on Canadian singer Drake's 'Scorpion' album. The original demo is now being released. Pre-order #Thriller40 now https://michaeljackson.lnk.to/Thriller40th"

There you go, easy. Now hire me Estate lol.

That's still extremely close to Thriller era. Besides there are songs on the album that dates as far back as the OTW days so the Paul Anka songs wouldn't exactly be misplaced.
WBSS and the Anka tracks aren’t comparable in that sense. They aren’t truly Thriller era, so in my opinion it wouldn’t make sense.

While you guys are discussing eras I’m still completely puzzled by the existence of an MJ and Paul Anka collaboration. Paul Anka, his last big hit was somewhere in the early 70s. An odd pairing to say the least.

While you guys are discussing eras I’m still completely puzzled by the existence of an MJ and Paul Anka collaboration. Paul Anka, his last big hit was somewhere in the early 70s. An odd pairing to say the least.
MJ loved the classics. Dueting together might've given PA a second chance at success. The Duets album did end up happening.

MJ loved the classics. Dueting together might've given PA a second chance at success.

That's a common misconception, it's literally on the copyright registry that the date of creation is 1980. The songs were registered in 1983.

And also the Estate could come up with a story (like they did with certain songs) to make it a valid inclusion without backpedalling on the dates the gave, say that it was written in 1980 but it was recorded in 1983.

"This song was co-written by Michael and Paul Anka in 1980 and was briefly considered for 'Thriller' album before being revisited in 1983. Although it didn't make the cut it was ultimately released as a duet on Canadian singer Drake's 'Scorpion' album. The original demo is now being released. Pre-order #Thriller40 now https://michaeljackson.lnk.to/Thriller40th"

There you go, easy. Now hire me Estate lol.
I'm not arguing any of this and I'm not disagreeing. They are 1980 tracks. They just seem deadset on placing them post Thriller. Ultimately not as weird as MJ calling "For All Time" a Thriller track though.

I just keep having flashbacks to the people begging for Chicago 1945 and getting annoyed like that.

Ultimately, a lot of outtakes just do not have to be associated with an Anniversary, and that's ok. Let's just stop shoehorning things in places that aren't seamless just cause we want it. It was weird when MJ did it and it's downright irreprehensible for the Estate to do it. And I know, I know, Can't Get Out of the Rain.

Last edited:
WBSS and the Anka tracks aren’t comparable in that sense. They aren’t truly Thriller era, so in my opinion it wouldn’t make sense.
I was talking about songs like CGOOTR, Sunset Driver and WALWTG (the latter of which even predates OTW). I still stand by what I said, it wouldn't be off-putting if they included one of Paul Anka's songs.

Ultimately, a lot of outtakes just do not have to be associated with an Anniversary, and that's ok. Let's just stop shoehorning things in places that aren't seamless just cause we want it. It was weird when MJ did it and it's downright irrephr for the Estate to do it. And I know, I know, Can't Get Out of the Rain.
A demo of a song that's already been released seems like the perfect place for a re-issue tbh. Anything is better than re-releasing songs.

I was talking about songs like CGOOTR, Sunset Driver and WALWTG (the latter of which even predates OTW). I still stand by what I said, it wouldn't be off-putting if they included one of Paul Anka's songs.
Those are all in the same space as the Anka songs but the Estate has claimed they were all planned to be on Thriller. The only exception is CGOOTR, which was just the B Side to The Girl Is Mine and he overdubbed game with "Rain". Nothing "Post" Thriller was included.

There have been two of those though? Released ones, I mean. Three if you count the Drake thing... lol.

Last edited:
1. Has anyone ever heard the original demo of 'I Never Heard/This Is It'?
2. Is it true that MJ secretly re-recorded the demo he did with Paul Anka as a solo version?
3. In that case: are those the vocals used on the 2009 version..?
4. Are the vocals from Paul Anka's's 'Duets' version the same as those or are they from the 1980 demo..?

Ultimate release for me is still an HD concert. Preferably Bad tour but since they just dangled victory tour film in front of us they could release that also. Just give me that & they can re release CGOOTR with 50 remixes for all I care lmao

2. Is it true that MJ secretly re-recorded the demo he did with Paul Anka as a solo version?
4. Are the vocals from Paul Anka's's 'Duets' version the same as those or are they from the 1980 demo..?
1:Yes
2:No
3:Yes
4:They are same, but with Paul Anka.

Wasn't it L.A Reid who had the idea to also include the original versions? I feel like if he's not involved on the next album the Estate won't be releasing the og versions seeing how little they care for MJ's original demos.
They tampered with "who do you know" no drums sounded like that in the 80s!! I doubt if the song even had drums. But they are definitely more modern sounding

1:Yes
2:No
3:Yes
4:They are same, but with Paul Anka.
Haha thanx!

5. So was the original demo recorded as a duet? (Paul Anka's verses and music on 'Duets' seem off, like they are re-recorded)

I'm amazed how different the 'Duets' version sounds as 'This Is It' btw, using the same vocals.
I probably projected the 'This Is It' images on his voice or something..

There are several takes of this song. The take on This Is It is one of the later takes of the song. MJ probably did a solo version, not because he wanted to release one, but because he wanted to experiment with the song and see how it could sound (like he did with The Girl Is Mine and We Are The World). Anka used a slightly different take on one of his performances of the song.

There are several takes of this song. The take on This Is It is one of the later takes of the song. MJ probably did a solo version, not because he wanted to release one, but because he wanted to experiment with the song and see how it could sound (like he did with The Girl Is Mine and We Are The World). Anka used a slightly different take on one of his performances of the song.
So you think 'This Is It' uses different vocals than Anka's 'Duets' version? I have heard so much different opinions on this.. At this moment I feel the vocals are the exact same tbh

They tampered with "who do you know" no drums sounded like that in the 80s!! I doubt if the song even had drums. But they are definitely more modern sounding
It's a drum machine, just like on the demo for 'The Toy': it's easy for making demo's. They are also used on the Thriller album (and I believe already Off The Wall)

So you think 'This Is It' uses different vocals than Anka's 'Duets' version? I have heard so much different opinions on this.. At this moment I feel the vocals are the exact same tbh
I listened to this now again and it sounds defintely different

It's a drum machine, just like on the demo for 'The Toy': it's easy for making demo's. They are also used on the Thriller album (and I believe already Off The Wall)
Yeah.... but not those for that song. I'm 1000% sure!

Back