"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

I think the "scandals" in this biopic will be, the abuse from Joseph, the Pepsi burn and then his vitiligo.

I don't think the story will go as far the allegations. The family and the Estate are so heavily involved, I doubt they would want any focus to go on anything negative in this biopic for too long

I think the "scandals" in this biopic will be, the abuse from Joseph, the Pepsi burn and then his vitiligo.

I don't think the story will go as far the allegations. The family and the Estate are so heavily involved, I doubt they would want any focus to go on anything negative in this biopic for too long
It will be a massive failure if that's the case. It simply cannot be a white wash.

It has to cover the allegations, it is so important.

It will be a massive failure if that's the case. It simply cannot be a white wash.

It has to cover the allegations, it is so important.
Well, yeah, it sucks, but it's likely the safest bet. There is a very high chance that it will just end with Man In The Mirror at the 1988 Grammy Awards... Talking about the allegations seems almost impossible to me, especially with the whole fam tied up in the movie.

How do you handle all the accusations? Making sure it doesn't look like a total propaganda film is tough. Thinking of saying Michael got accused just for the money – risky move, could end up in a legal mess with Robson and Safechuck.

If if they gloss over or flat out ignore the allegations then they never should have made the biopic in the first place. Ignoring that part of Michael's life will make Michael look guilty in the eyes of the general public.

The general public willl accuse Michael's family and the estate of burying their heads in the sand if the allegations are ignored.

If if they gloss over or flat out ignore the allegations then they never should have made the biopic in the first place. Ignoring that part of Michael's life will make Michael look guilty in the eyes of the general public.

The general public willl accuse Michael's family and the estate of burying their heads in the sand if the allegations are ignored.
I don't know, I think the general public might tag it as a Family & Estate-propaganda gig. Plus, they could still have reservations about Michael's behaviour, regardless the fact that he was absolutely innocent.

I don't know, I think the general public might tag it as a Family & Estate-propaganda gig. Plus, they could still have reservations about Michael's behaviour, regardless the fact that he was absolutely innocent.
There will always be people who think Michael's guilty no matter what they're told. The allegations NEED to be addressed and if anyone wants to consider it a family and estate propaganda gig then there's nothing that can be done about that.

It's really a lose lose situation. If the allegations are ignored people will accuse the family and estate of burying their heads in the sand, but if the allgeations are addressed and the truth is told then people will say the family and estate are bias. But ignoring the allegations will do more harm than good.

Considering there is no proof out there for both parties of the conflict the truth will always remain in the eye of the beholder.

the facts of the 93 allegations need to be made public
and I hope this quote makes the movie:
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.
A worldwide audience being made aware of the Evan Chandler extortion attempt could be a very powerful light bulb turned on moment to those who haven't bothered to research it.

If its in the movie, they will have no choice but to listen.

I fear though that due to the agreement in place, the 93 case cannot be discussed up to a certain point? I don't know if they could even use the name Jordy Chandler.

^^^^ I get what you're trying to say but you have to remember that this film will be between 2 to 3 hours long.... that's it.

It's impossible to cover everything without the movie becoming overwhelming and simply too much to digest, it's gotta be entertaining.

They will cover Michael's childhood but you need to be realistic.

The music, the dancing, plastic surgeries, controversies, child abuse allegations. Drug taking etc - this film should be a two part.

The audience wants to be entertained , it can't be a 3 hour Wikipedia biography.
The key is to choose carefully which parts of his childhood need to be shown based on which parts of his adult life they're gonna show. They need to go with the ones that serve a purpose to either show his personality or explain things that happened later on in his life. Those things would need to be explained either way, whether you do it with MJ being an adult or a child, so it's not going to take up more time.

Say for example that you want to cover the topic of plastic surgery. If you do it through his childhood, then it would literally take only two seconds to show his father calling him ugly or big nose 2 or 3 times, just by inserting it into any other scene. Then as an adult, you don't even need to show MJ getting plastic surgery, you can just quickly mention that he got a nose job and that will be all that is needed, no other explanation necessary for people to understand why. You can then have a quick scene with a doctor diagnosing him with lupus and explaining to MJ that he will repeatedly need corrective surgeries on his nose because of it. That can cover all there is to say about Michael's nose in just two minutes, without even showing Michael getting plastic surgery.

The other option would be to show adult MJ talking about how his father used to call him ugly and showing him repeatedly going to the office of his plastic surgeon, which would be a rather boring scene. At the end of the day, the same information would need to be told, but showing a beautiful little child being called ugly hits a lot harder than hearing adult MJ talk about it.

Talking about the allegations seems almost impossible to me, especially with the whole fam tied up in the movie.

How do you handle all the accusations? Making sure it doesn't look like a total propaganda film is tough. Thinking of saying Michael got accused just for the money – risky move, could end up in a legal mess with Robson and Safechuck.
Seems pretty straightforward to me, they just need to show the facts, not opinions. For example, show Jordan Chandler describing Michael's private parts to the police, then show the scene where they are taking pictures of Michael and realizing that he is NOT circumcised. Show the scene where David Schwartz records his phone conversation with Evan Chandler and let Evan tell the viewer in his own words with verbatim quotes why he's doing all that. They could either add text on the screen to inform the viewer that those are actual quotes from the recorded tape or they could show a montage of real-life footage of MJ at the end of the movie and throw excerpts from the Evan Chandler tape in there so that the viewer can see that the movie didn't just make it up.

Most people don't even know that those tapes exist. Other than haters, who would still believe the allegations to be true if they heard those tapes? The biopic is the best chance they will ever get to let the public hear those tapes, so they better not miss that! I mean this is all the proof anyone needs, you've got the whole story right there and you don't even need to hear Michael's version of events:

Evan Chandler: I had a good communication with Michael. We were friends, you know. I liked him. I respected him and everything else for what he is, you know. There was no reason why he had to stop calling me. He could have called me.

Evan Chandler: When people cut off communication totally, you only have two choices: To forget about them, or you get frustrated by their action. I can't forget about them. I love them. That's it. I don't like them. I still love Jordy, but I do not like them because I do not like the people that they've become, but I do love them, and because I love them I don't want to see them [tape irregularity]. That's why I was willing to talk. I have nothing to gain by talking. If I go through with this, I win big time. There's no way that I lose. I've checked that out inside out.
David Schwartz: But when you say "winning," what are you talking about, "winning"?
Evan Chandler: I will get everything I want, and they will be totally -- they will be destroyed forever. They will be destroyed. June is gonna lose Jordy. She will have no right to ever see him again. Michael's career will be over.
David Schwartz: And does that help Jordy?
Evan Chandler: It's irrelevant to me.

Evan Chandler: There are other people involved that are waiting for my phone call that are intentionally going to be in certain positions. I paid them to do it. They're doing their job. I gotta just go ahead and follow through on the time zone. I mean the time set out. Everything is going according to a certain plan that isn't just mine. There's other people involved.

Evan Chandler: Let me put it to you this way: I have a set routine of words that I'm going to go in there that have been rehearsed and I'm going to say. Okay? Because I don't want to say anything that could be used against me.

Evan Chandler: Because this attorney I found -- I mean, I interviewed several, and I picked the nastiest son of a bitch I could find, and all he wants to do is get this out in the public as fast as he can, as big as he can and humiliate as many people as he can, and he's got a bad [tape irregularity]

Evan Chandler: I mean, it could be a massacre if I don't get what I want. But I do believe this person will get what he wants. So he would just really love [tape irregularity] nothing better than to have this go forward. He is nasty, he is mean, he is very smart, and he's hungry for the publicity [tape irregularity] better for him.

Evan Chandler: My instructions were to kill and destroy [tape irregularity], I'm telling you. I mean, and by killing and destroying, I'm going to torture them, Dave. Because that's what June has done to me. She has tortured me.

Evan Chandler: I mean, once I make that phone call, this guy's just going to destroy everybody in site in any devious, nasty, cruel way that he can do it. And I've given him full authority to do that.

Evan Chandler: It's gonna be bigger than all of us put together, and the whole thing's just gonna crash down on everybody and destroy everybody in its sight. That's [tape irregularity] humiliating, believe me.
David Schwartz: Yeah. And is that good?
Evan Chandler: Yeah. It's great.
David Schwartz: Why?
Evan Chandler: Great, because --
David Schwartz: I mean, is that how you're --
Evan Chandler: Because June and Jordy and Michael have forced me to take it to the extreme to get their attention. How pitiful, pitifuckingful they are to have done that.

The problem with including the allegations is unless you start there and work backwards were is the redemption?

Michael arguably had his highest peaks before late 1993, so if you show this wonderful unparalleled success for an hour and half then end on the allegations, it's going to be a downer.

The only way I think they'll include them is if they start with them or they finish with a concert or event like the Superbowl after it and rewrite the timeline.

An Amy or Senna style documentary would have been a better option to address the allegations in my opinion.

The problem with including the allegations is unless you start there and work backwards were is the redemption?

Michael arguably had his highest peaks before late 1993, so if you show this wonderful unparalleled success for an hour and half then end on the allegations, it's going to be a downer.

The only way I think they'll include them is if they start with them or they finish with a concert or event like the Superbowl after it and rewrite the timeline.

An Amy or Senna style documentary would have been a better option to address the allegations in my opinion
Ending the movie with the superbowl is wayyyy too short and too early to end it. They need to include the 2005 trial so they show that he was set up all along

An Amy or Senna style documentary would have been a better option to address the allegations in my opinion.
I don't know what you want me to say. It's still a biopic, not some hero's journey. It doesn't need to be a "happy ending" because what about Michaels life is that? It's bittersweet. It should make people feel awful, that they've vilified a good man with so many ailments plaguing him who still achieved so much his entire life. Maybe people deserve to have to feel bad and think, instead of getting to enjoy a free ride through art that they "separate from the artist". They're one and the same, truly.

And

They can still make a documentary, heck, cosign Taj's languishing project after the fact so it can make waves on Hulu or somewhere.

Im pretty sure the biopic will include the trials. The official announce statement said "The film presents his triumphs and tragedies on an epic, cinematic scale — from his human side and personal struggles to his undeniable creative genius, captured by his most iconic performances". They also stated it wont be a white-wash.

Also, obviously the estate and filmmakers know the movie will get lots of backlash of they dont include it, which would harm the movie and Michaels legacy. And since the estate cares so much about money, this probably thought about it very well.

The 2005 trial is important cause it shows Michael is innocent, they could show Michael walking out of court standing on his car and celebrating with fans. Media reporters reporting it and lots of headlines with 'Michael Jackson innocent'. It would be a very strong scene.

The 1993 case should include (1) the tape of Evan Chandler, (2) a part of the backstory of Evan (which people dont know about cause the media didnt cover it..) and (3) the reason and meaning for the settlement (civil/criminal trial)(which is still a common 'evidence' people use for his guilt).

The way I see it ,Michael had an extraordinary legendary musical career but it came at a huge price.

He suffered terribly especially the last 15 or so years of his life. He was a prisoner of his own fame and had to put up with the most disgusting allegations that you could be accused of. You wouldn't wish that on your worst enemy.

I want this film to be as brutal as possible, the audience needs to understand what Michael had to go through and the impact it had on his health and death.

The fact that Michael making it to 50 years old was a surprise to some, it just shows you how tragic his life was at times.

Thing is i dont think the ordinary people will go and see it , mostly fans as most people are too narrow minded to see it
Not everyone is a die hard fan of Queen/Freddie Mercury and yet Bohemain Rhapsody was a hit, and Michael is more Popular than Queen and his Character is one of the most controversial in Pop Culture ever so I'm sure many people will be curious to see a movie about his life, whether they like him or not.

I don't know what you want me to say. It's still a biopic, not some hero's journey. It doesn't need to be a "happy ending" because what about Michaels life is that? It's bittersweet. It should make people feel awful, that they've vilified a good man with so many ailments plaguing him who still achieved so much his entire life. Maybe people deserve to have to feel bad and think, instead of getting to enjoy a free ride through art that they "separate from the artist". They're one and the same, truly.
I would like the movie to end with Murray pressing the record button on his phone before Michael says as his final lines what he said on that recorded tape:

Michael: I'm taking that money, I'm building a children - children's hospital, the biggest in the world, Michael Jackson's Children Hospital. Gonna have a movie theater, game room. Children are depressed. The - in those hospitals, no game room, no movie theater. They're sick because they're depressed. Their mind is depressing them. I want to give them that. I care about them, them angels. God wants me to do it. God wants me to do it. I'm gonna do it, Conrad. Don't have enough hope, no more hope. That's the next generation that's gonna save our planet, starting with - we'll talk about it. United States, Europe, Prague, my babies. They walk around with no mother. They drop them, they leave - a psychological degradation of that. They reach out to me - please take me with you. I want to do that for them. I'm gonna do that for them. That will be remembered more than my performances. My performances will be up there helping my children and always be my dream. I love them. I love them because I didn't have a childhood. I had no childhood. I feel their pain. I feel their hurt. I can deal with it. Heal the World, We Are the World, Will You Be There, The Lost Children. These are the songs I've written because I hurt, you know. I hurt.
Murray: You okay?
Michael: I am asleep.

Then have them play the bridge of Xscape while Michael falls peacefully asleep: When I go, this problem world won't bother me no more

And end the movie as thousands of fans gather around the hospital crying.

be prepared for liberties to be taken with the timeline, i feel certain things might be placed out of order.
Personally, I would prefer a chronological order. Michael's life was complicated enough as it is, jumping back and forth from the past to the future would just make it harder for the viewer to follow the storyline. There's something very beautiful about following someone's life story from its beginning to its end. It almost makes you feel as if you know the person, it makes that person more real.

Back